Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Fentynal patches

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Fentynal patches

I know this may sound crazy but I was born an addict 55 years ago. I was born and had to be detoxed, my mom was on demorol when I was born thanks to her dr. needless to say I have been an addict all of my life. I had a accident back in 2003 fell off a ladder and broke my pelvis, I have had 4 surgeries, and am on fentynal 75, norco 10/325 and benzos. I started off changing the patch every 72 hr.s then later I started having wd the last 24 hr.s so they changed it to every 48 hr.s so I have to get a pa to get it filled. Long story short, they have changed my ins. and they denied the 48 hr.s The nurse called me yesterday and said she would talk to my dr. monday to see if he wants to appeal it. If they don't does anyone have any suggestions on something that I could change to that would replace the fentynal patch?

Perhaps your Dr could instead give you some meds to help you withdraw off the fentanyl patch?    Do you want to get off the pain meds altogether?    You won't know your real pain levels until you don't take them anymore.   The opiates cause the body to create more pain so you will take more pain meds.  That's why you need more and more.  
Unfortunately fentynal is the strongest opiate available. They will probably offer you another opiate or more norcos to get you through that last 24 hrs. It's going to take a lot of something to replace fentynal. I'd try to get to a weaker opiate and attempt to take just enough to get you through your healing process and then detox. My father was on morphine from age 1-13 and went to street drugs when they cut him off. I know where you're coming from and would suggest getting help. I've had a pretty long drug history myself and it was always impossible for me to put things into perspective until I started getting feedback from a counselor, sponsor, and friends. You reached out to this forum, you are on the right track.
Welcome to the forum!
Are you wanting to get off addictive pain meds?  Not too sure what you ultimate goal is.  But I can tell you from personal experience the road will get rockier and rockier.  I, too, had an accident but mine was in 2008 and I fractured my pelvis, tailbone and sacrum.  In 2011 I had two discs removed, cages and titanium rods and screws put in.  I became addicted to pain meds thru this whole journey.

At 175 days clean, my pain is still here, but not to the extreme or extent that it was while ingesting narcotics.  At some point, your pain receptors will be so "full" and overloaded, that you may decide to get off the pain meds, heal and re-evaluate your pain levels.  That's what happened to me.

Lots of us on this forum started taking pain meds for very real and legit pain issues......but we found we had to learn to live life another way.
Keep coming back~