Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
First NA meeting.

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

First NA meeting.

I went to my first NA meeting today at noon. There was a LOT of people there. I didnt say anything to anybody I just raised my hand when they asked if there was anybody new and then they asked my name and I told them. I do have a question that I was afraid to ask but I heard all of them talking about. What is a sponser? how do you get one? How are you sure that they are a good person?
Also keep in mind that most people understand that sometimes people don't mesh well together. My sister went through a couple sponsors before finding hers. (Who in my opinion is seriously amazing, not going to lie I adore her.) My sister didn't offend any of her previous sponsors because they knew they couldn't offer what she needed. In general, sponsors are there to help guide you through the program and talk to you when you feel the walls are crashing down. After getting the feel for what's going on maybe try talking to people who you feel most comfortable around. A sponsor has to be someone who you can look up to as well as always be honest with. (Example a couple years ago my sister got extremely depressed and the first person she talked to was her sponsor who helped her figure out what to do about it.) No matter how you're feeling or what's going on you have to be able to talk to a sponsor- so it's ok to be a little picky and ask around.
You should attend several more meetings before worrying about a sponsor.You will have time to feel out what is going on and who is who at these meetings.A sponsor is a member of na who has usually at least a year or two of clean time and has worked the steps or at least most of them.Don't be afraid to ask because they are definitely not afraid to tell you what it is all about  lol    hope this helps
Thank you. I just wasnt sure because everybody who talked said something about their sponsor and I didnt know how the whole thing worked. I think after a few more days of going I will let my guard down. everything just seems so new kind of like im lost but I know where I want to be if that makes any type of sence? Anyways I havent had a pill since thursday and again I am still not feeling any withdrawals. I have been shaking a lot but I am not sure if it is from stress, being scared or from not have any vicodin in my system.
It could be w/d but if you were not taking alot It's probably just anxiety.Keep up the good work and you will feel better soon.You are doing good.By friday you should be feeling alot better
Thank you.
Yes I agree with ricart & you've done great sweetie. Expect some anxiety, you've been thru a lot here lately. Take it slow & build up those clean days :)
Thank you all for being so nice and helpful. I really feel like I dont deserve it. I have done a few bad things the last few weeks but I am glad I found this place.
And we are glad you are here girl. You SO deserve it. Believe in yourself :)
im so proud of you i could jump for joy....that first meetings is so scarey ....i didn't pick up a sponsor for a month. i was very picky...so just keep going...lots of nice new friends await you...but keep your guard up and put your feelers out...im so proud of you....this is a huge step...did you get your chip?
No what Chip? Everybody got up when the clock hit 1 so I did to and very quietly walked to my car. Thats one thing I am scared about I dont want to be around people who use so what if I become friends with somebody there and they go back to drugs.
When my sister was about 6 months sober one of her friends overdosed. In her 9+ years of sobriety she has quite a few friends that's true. You do have to be careful with the friends you meet, because unfortunately not all will make it and it will hurt. But even those that don't make it are worth knowing. My sister's friend made it clear how easily one more time could be the last time and it made her more serious about staying sober. And the people that do make it- my sister and niece have been best friends with another mother-daughter pair they met at an AA meeting 8 years ago. It's scary to trust people, but it can be the best thing in the world if you do.
Yea I am not so good with trusting people. My dad died of an overdose 7 years ago and since then I have always had my guard up.
yes watch who you are friends with
That's completely understandable- just go slowly with people. I honestly think trusting others not to hurt you is one of the scariest things in the world. But after being a shadow on the wall for a while it might get easier to talk to some of the people there. Lol I remember the first time I said anything at an AA meeting, my heart was racing and I was fearing being booed or something because I'm not an addict. It's not an easy thing to do so no worries about going slowly. People will understand.
Thank you again.
i didnt make friends there...i talk to lots of people at meeting...i have made a couple of friends thu here and at my outpatient meetings. i like to keep my addiction friends in my addiction part of life..via meetings here and outpatient therapy. my experience is when you meet friends at meetings when they relapse they want you to relapse too...addiction is like cancer..it spreads. but maybe just maybe after lot of time..and watching you might pick up a friend...but does what i say make sense?
o prefer my clean friends from church..kids activities. the pool and real activities...what do you think
and get your joining chip next time...ok? gotta ask. our meetings have some mingling time...ya got to ask for your chip. they give them out..usually the speaker. did anyone welcome you one on one
I think we are the most blessed people in the world to be able to have a community in AA and NA!  I can't wait till I get off the last bit holding me back from being 100% drug free.  I am following in your footsteps!
Love,
Marie

Yes what you said makes perfect sense. No nobody greated me one on one. Honestly I didn't know what was happening for a bit. They had to vote for a new secretary for the meeting and then just random people started speaking. I will ask when I get my courage is up.