Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Formal studies on Ultram and Addiction

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Formal studies on Ultram and Addiction

I'm a recovering addict (garbage can type) who has been clean and sober in 12-step programs for 5 years now.  I had a very ugly relapse 5 years ago over chronic pain -- had been clean and sober for 7 years before that.  Due to my realpse I participate in a professional diversion program.

I've been taking Ultram for chronic pain (along with Neurontin and wellbutrin) for about 3 years now.  I've done well.  Have never had "that" feeling with any of my meds, and have not had a desire to take them other than as prescribed.

Unfortunately, my diversion program is now insisting I stop Ultram because it is addicting.  Have any formal studies been done?  I honestly don't believe I can stop taking it without relapse -- pain's too bad.  Pain management doc states the only other way to go is to take other "true" opioids -- I KNOW I won't be able to do that for very long without relapse...

Got any ideas?  I'm really stuck here.

This is just my opinion, but I also began Ultram about one and a half months ago for chronic pain. I am an alcoholic and began by self medicating for the pain problem.

After struggling to stay sober since last October I finally reached 60 days sobriety today, only due to the regimen of Klonopin, Ultram and Neurontin. I have not craved alcohol at all where as before the regimen, drinking was all I thought about even with A.A. and out-patient treatment.

YOU know what will make you relapse and what won't. The old saying is DON'T FIX WHAT IS NOT BROKE!!!! Don't let some holy rollers change what is working for you. If you ever feel you are craving additional Ultram than your normal prescribed regimen then address the issue with your doctor at that time.
barbara -- first of all: Congratulations on making 60 days!!  That's a big one...  shoot, they're ALL big ones.

I agree with the idea of not fixing what's not broke...  if it were just up to me , I'd leave well enough alone -- it took me a lot of hard work to get to where I am today.  Unfortunately, my professional license is currently in jepordy over this.  I'm looking for any sort of formal study, case law, and so on to help me back up what I know to be true for me.

Even though I've been a participant in this diversion program for almost 4 years now, I'm still considered to be a lying, stealing, cheatin' junkie.  Everything has to be proven in black and white or it doesn't exist.  bummer, huh?

Anyway -- thanks for the TLC -- I need it pretty badly right now -- Lynn
What is Ultram anyway? What is it "supposed" to be used for ?
Ultram is a "synthetic" opiod. It was touted as an equivalent to codeine WITHOUT the unwanted side effects. In other words - all the pain relief without the addiction possibilities. Sounds like a dream? Well it is. If you know how to get your head in "that space", you can get high on Ultram. I have. Anyway, it's a pain killer that doctors gave away freely because their scripts WERE NOT questioned like they are if they hand out 90 Vicodin. Hell, some of the doctors wrote this stuff like it was Motrin. I wound up with 50-90 at a whack. Of course, it's not as desirable as the others...it does work "okay" for pain. But best of all - it works to relieve withdrawal symptoms. And from what I've learned, anything that removes withdrawal symptoms IS addictive. But overall - Ultram is a "non-narcotic" (something that even the doctors are starting to challenge) pain reliever that doesn't contain any acet/aspirin/ibuprofen. It can be bought over the counter in Mexico - known as Tramadol I believe. Or was it Tradol? Either way - stupid drug in my opinion. I'm glad it works for some and controls their pain though. At least it works for SOMEONE out there.
Does any one know if you can take Ultram soon after stopping oxycontin.Will it help with oxy withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms. I could really use some info on this matter.Oxy helps much with the pain but..
I know there are some very knowledgable peope onthis site if you get a minute to reply.I'm afraid of any bad reactions or interactions if oxy still in my system.Thanks so much.
The post above is not the same mike who answered above question. I will refer to myself as Mike L to avoid confusion. Still need that info...please.
I would say - don't take 'em together and you should be okay. Of course, the Ultram is like a wine cooler after having a 5th of Scotch a day habit, but it will help some. God, I couldn't even imagine withdrawing from Oxycontin...Anyway, it'll help you a little - especially if you take 2 or so...But, if you're trying to get off 'em for other reasons and already over the hardest part of coming off - let it be. If the worst of the battle is over, all the Ultram will do is prolong the rest. I'm no doctor but I'm pretty sure these 2 drugs WILL NOT interact in a detrimental way. Of course, it all depends on how much ya take.

Mike
MIke,
  THANKS for quick reply wow.I know I need to come off oxy. I'm have bad back problems currently being treated but do not get relief I need from 3- 10mg. I can see where this is headed and would like to stop but withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms are terrible. I'm wondering if ultram would ease the discomfort.Or wll I just be getting int another bad situation. Heard of bruprenex( ? ). But nobody prescribes it.
Yeah, I hear you...But if you are honestly getting it together, a little Ultram might keep you from taking a couple of the other just to "get by". You know? If it's tolerable, it's easier to quit. It just is. I know some people here will take the other side as far as a "helper" drug that's also an opiate...but believe me, they won't make you high if you're taking Oxycontin. You'll still withdraw, just not so hard. Which is better? Which leads to a pull back to the initial drug? It all depends on the individual - do what YOU think is best for you. That's the key, especially if you still have bad pain from your back troubles. Take care
Thanks Mike... well I guess that means it would not be safe for an addict to take... am I right ? How about someone who is not addicted to anything... can they take it without fear of getting hooked ? Just wondering.... Oh.. is it a scheduled or controlled substance ? I'm not sure exactly what non-narcotic means... would it mean it is not derived from opium ? Hmmm... no, honestly I don't know for sure what it means getting your head in "that place". I mean... don't you have to have the chemical do that or can you just get there some other way ??? If Ultram does that then what's in it that can make a person high? Afterall, I never heard of someone getting high on Motrin. What is this "synthetic" substance?? I hope you don't think I'm either stupid or flip... I really want to know so I don't get bamboozled by the addict in my family !!! You know.. if there's an injury or some reason to take pain meds.... I like to know the scoop!! Love, Brighty
I don't think that people take Ultram to get high per se - some do, but there's probably another drug that it's replacing. Another stronger true opiate or derivative. I think Ultram can be taken responsibly. I really do. In fact I took it for a long time until one day, after doubling the dose - I found I was a little high from it. Later that night, of course I tripled it and was a happy little kid. Was I zonked? No. What I mean by "that place" is - when someone firsts smokes pot or snorts heroin - it is many times NOT a pleasant experience. It takes awhile to learn which way to let or not let your mind and body go. If you let it go one way, you may enjoy the high a lot more. If you let it go another, you may get a headache, feel ill etc. depending on the drug in question. Needless to say, this iniatial experience turns many people off of drugs right off the bat and that's good. But many of us, especially those of us who were put on pain medications by a doctor for a prolonged period of time, get to a place "in their head" where they can really groove on a drug. It's what eventually starts drawing you back. It's the place you try to get to every time you use after that. You never seem to ever really get back there though. Sometimes it's close, other times it's futile. Non-narcotic means that it isn't an opiod or derived from opiates. Vicodin is a semi-synthetic opiate. Codeine is an opiate without chemical manipulation. Hence 5mg of Hydrocodone = the equivelent of 30 mg of Codeine. It's been altered to somewhat decrease unwanted side effects, yet is a stronger pain reliever...blah blah blah...anyway, Ultram was "derived from" opiates. They thought they changed the molecular structure enough to kill pain, yet not give euphoria. Kinda like aspirin or motrin. No those to things won't get you high, but they don't come from the same source as Ultram. Either way, they have left a few molecular keys in there that fit some peoples opiate receiving key holes. I'm one of them and I know there are others. No, it's not Morphine but what is? :) Hopefully I've been thorough and correct in my info...I worked at a pharmacy for three years (no I didn't steal) so a lot of this stuff wore off on me. Take care and ask away if someone (I believe it was your daughter) does something to make you wonder...we'll let you know. I wouldn't bite someone's head off for taking Ultram though...It's really mild...some people think it's a joke altogether. Take care - Mike

I can see where you are coming from. All I can suggest for possible case studies or other info is to search, Ultram or Tramadol, and you may find the answers you need to back up your arguement to keep your license. Even if you have to go through many pages. Sometimes the best info is not found on the initial 10 choices provided.
Thanks so much for your very informative reply. I bet I'm not the only person who learned alot from you on this one !!! I will have to re-read it to really get it I think. Yep, my daughter will be home from long term treatment in October or November... .and you bet... I'll be here asking you and everyone all sorts of stuff. I pray it all goes smoothly. Take care and blessings to you. Brighty
3 years on the "forbidden" side of the pharmacy counter and didn't steal? What's the matter with you? (just kidding).

I "settled" for Ultram from a doctor (not getting what I really wanted) and finally took some out of boredom, not expecting much. I took 2, didn't feel anything (it's not fast acting), then took two more. Boy, was I surprised! Ultram lit up the opiate receptor arcade in my brain like the Fourth of July. I thought I had stumbled onto something incredible: a drug described as "non-narcotic" (usually a hateful term for me) that, for at least the first 5 or 6 times I used it, felt like the best moments of a Vicodin or Perc trip. I don't know much about brain structure or chemistry, but you can go to rxlist.com and read the manufacturer's lit on their product. They say Ultram binds to "sub-opioid" receptors, which I gather are somewhat distinct from other opiate or opioid receptors acted upon by other drugs. (it would be interesting to "map" the activity of various opiates to their corresponding receptors, figure out which ones you hadn't overused yet, and take the drug that targets them. (I know, I'm going to Hell).
Anyway, I found Ultram to be quite a good high -- but only for about a month or so. Since then, I feel some effect from the stuff, but not the euphoria I initially got from it. Rather like a lot of drugs, I suppose. Even without the euphoria, though, I can still get significant relief from 2 Ultram. The plus side is that the duration of relief is probably twice that of codeine or Vicodin. I found to get the full analgesic benefit from it, I had to take a "loading dose" first. I've been told that Ultram is not constructed like an opiate, but is opiate-like in its action. Hence doctors and addiction specialists are obliged to treat Ultram as a narcotic.
One BIG warning for Ultram experimenters: Over-use produces terrible headaches and nausea. Emphasis on terrible.
A BIGGER warning: I took too much once and literally blacked out/passed out. One second I was walking across my deck, the next thing I knew I was coming-to flat on my back on the very same deck, with no idea how long I'd been out. I was not mixing it with anything else, so I must assume the blackout was caused by the Ultram. Scared the **** out of me. I haven't taken it to get high since. I think it's dangerous and unpredictable as a recreational drug, but quite effective for legitimate pain relief. Anyway, that's my take on the stuff.

One BIG warning for Ultram experimentors: Over-use produces terrible headaches and nauseau. Emphasis on terrible.
sorry for the repeated text above-- flubbed the cut and paste I guess. Maybe the site admin will delete it so I don't look like an idiot. (well, it's a start anyway)
Thanks for your post on the Ultram... I'm glad to learn all this since I only ever heard of the drug on this board. Is it addictive to those who are not addicts ?? Mike gave me alot of info too... posted up above. Speaking of opiate receptors.. or opiod.. .whatever they are called... I read an article on something being used on mice in Europe... I think it's either called gamma-v-gaba or gaba-v-gamma... does that make sense to you... that it removes the "reward" aspect of opiates. They gave it to mice or rats... fuzzy little critters... and after that they stopped going for the lever that administered the opiate. I would sure like to know more about this.. .can you or anyone enlighten me ??? ( I think you have to be reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly bad to go to hell... so stop thinking that !!! :-))
I too have been in recovery for addiction.  I was clean for 11 years when I got addicted to fiorecet for my migraines - relapse (I hate that word - if I was gonna relapse, I would have tried to have fun doing it, bot trying to kill the excruciating pain in my head).  I thought it was safe because I had been honest with my doctor.
For what it's worth, Ultram is not a controlled substance.  It is not mind-altering.  In fact, a customer of mine gave me some samples and told me could not give samples of addictive, controlled substances.
In NA, we are taught that no mood altering drug is ok.  From everything I have read and taking the drug myself, I do not believe it is addictive.  I also want to add that I do not take Untram.  My problem is headaches and it simpley doesn't help them.
I am very interested in this group you mentioned.  Can you tell me more about it?  I could use all the help I can get even though I am doing well again.
email me please at sbrawsm@aol,com
Sue
Tom
I am 17 years old and I started abusing narcotic painkillers when I was 14.  In some ways I think my Ultram experience has been similar to yours.  The first time I took it I didn't expect much (having looked it up in my trusty Pill Book and found it to be non-narcotic), and I only tried it at all because I couldn't get anything "good" and I was desperate.  I took 2 and about an hour later began to feel the effects.  The high was almost as good as a Lorcet 10, and lasted much longer.  I loved it of course, and began stealing them from my friend's mom.  When those ran out I began taking my usual hydrocodone and Tylenol 4's again, and didn't take any more Ultram for maybe 6-9 mos.  Then I discovered that my friend's grandma was also taking Ultram, and decided to have another little binge.  By the time my "binge" had lasted a couple of months, I knew I was hooked.  I had already experienced a week of awful withdrawal from hydrocodone a few months before, and I wasn't too eager to go thru it--or anything similar to it--again.  So, naturally, I kept taking the Ultram.  By now, 2 did virtually nothing, and 3 was my minimum for a high.  Eventually I had to get off them for the simple fact that I couldn't get anymore, but I just turned to other pills so I wouldn't have to go thru the withdrawal.  Now I have started taking 40mg Oxycontin, and they are awesome, but expensive and hard to come by.  As for Ultram, there are a lot of things I don't understand about them.  First off, this whole are-they-narcotics or are-they-not deal.  Everything I have read about them is conflicting.  Another thing, how come I get such a good high off of them, while they do absolutely nothing to other people I know?  Once in a while I would even take a couple and not feel it at all, the next day take the same amount and be high.  What could cause that?  I have almost blacked-out on them several times also.  No one else I know really likes to take Ultram, because they say they do nothing at all, or only make them sleepy.  Anybody with info on this, or info I might not know about other painkillers (esp. Oxycontin)let me know.
I have been taking Ultram, about 1 a day (sometimes 2 or 3, depending on the pain) for Anklyosing Spondylitis, a form of arthritis.  It's like a godsend.  It really works on the pain.  I can sit, sleep, and work without aching, and getting out of the chair is no longer a nightmare.

I have noticed a subtle sense of euphoria when I take ultram.  If the pain is bad, I take 2 at a time, and I'll be in that "happy" place that many drug users undoubtedly look for.  I also get quite "chatty", and enjoy the company of people more when I'm on ultram.

My doctor prescribes ultram with no hesitation, but I always feel guilty just asking for it.  I know that many people must use the drug just to get high.

Basically, I look on ultram as a wonder-drug.  It stops the pain, so I'm happier, plus the drug makes you happier.  I've gone days at a time without having pain/using ultram, and the only withdrawl (withdrawal) I have noticed is a bit of uneasyness, fatigue, and tension.  Hey, life's a *****.  Some people in Africa are dying of hunger... I'm not gonna ***** about a small side effect when the benefit is almost unmeasurably good.

Unless I'm really missing something, ultram is all good.  It has made my life livable again.

I have chronic pain (I'm 28 now) and when I started taking Ultram, I only needed 1 tab (50mg). Now, 5 years later (five YEARS) :( I now need 3 tabs of 50mg to lower my pain, which it doesn't do now as much now.. I remember when I first started I did feel that high, but I wasn't OD'ing to GET high, thats what I was prescribed to take.. then it went to 1 and a half (cut one pill) then 2, and now I am prescribed to take 3.

I HAVE taken 4 at once when I was in such bad pain though, but rarely.. I tried Ty /w Cod. and it didn't to anything, same with 5mg Vicoden.. nothing..

Anyone have any ideas on what I should ask my doc to try me on next? I am suffering daily now pretty much, my breakthrough pain starts about 3 HOURS after I take 3 Ultram (150mg total).

In pain, Dan
***@****
This stuff will get you high. If you quit drinking because of it's help you bet it's getting you high because i'd rather take it than alcohol and i've come from a long line of alcoholics.anyway thank god i don't have an abundant supply. my hubby regulates it during my menstrual cycle. take care you all. do any of you break out from it? candy.
I hurt my back at work years ago, and quickly went through my vicodins.  I was going through withdrawals when my back doctor then put me on ultram.  I looked it up in the PDR and was disapointed to see it was non narcotic.  However, I took one anyway.  Much to my surprise, my w/d symptoms were gone!!!! I thought it was a cure.  Only later, when I started coming to this board did I discover what the gig was.  Apparantly, ultram attaches to the same opiate receptors as vicodin, et al and your brain thinks it is is on them again.  However, to my dismay, my withdrawals were back in a HUGE way when I stopped.  I don't know if the vicodin withdrawal was still lurking, or I was withdrawing from the ultram.  Be careful, any mood altering drug is addictive.  The withdrawals are a motherfucker.
I have been taking ultram for about 3 years now. I don't see how anybody can get relief with one or to tabs. I have reached a point that I usually take 7 50mg. two to three times daily. And, still, no longer even geet a buzz. I know it's probably dangerous to be taking such heavy doses. But, that's what it takes to do my pain any good. Also, withrawal affects me heavy on the mental side. Very depressed, very heavy leg and arm spasms, even to the point of drawing up in knots. Even to the point of suicidal thoughts. I do believe I can control those thoughts though, but it really gets that bad. Yes, Ultram is very addictive, and it can be bought across the counter in Mexico under the name of Tradol 50 mg. Also I've read a lot about some of the guys "going to hell" over this. Just remember, God is not juding you for your addiction. You don't go to heaven for being perfect, or Jesus would have waisted his time on the cross. God's grace is a gift. All you have to do is accept this, and put your faith in his Son, Jesus Christ. Your habit is way down the list in God's eyes. If you're afraid of going to hell, just ask God to put you under the blood of Jesus, and put your faith in Him, then it's a done deal! He knows our hearts. He knows we're trying. Just keep trying. You and I will make it someday.
I have been taking ultram for about 3 years now. I don't see how anybody can get relief with one or to tabs. I have reached a point that I usually take 7 50mg. two to three times daily. And, still, no longer even get a buzz. I know it's probably dangerous to be taking such heavy doses. But, that's what it takes to do my pain any good. Also, withrawal affects me heavy on the mental side. Very depressed, very heavy leg and arm spasms, even to the point of drawing up in knots. Even to the point of suicidal thoughts. I do believe I can control those thoughts though, but it really gets that bad. Yes, Ultram is very addictive, and it can be bought across the counter in Mexico under the name of Tradol 50 mg. Also I've read a lot about some of the guys "going to hell" over this. Just remember, God is not judging you for your addiction. You don't go to heaven for being perfect, or Jesus would have waisted his time on the cross. God's grace is a gift. All you have to do is accept this, and put your faith in his Son, Jesus Christ. Your habit is way down the list in God's eyes. If you're afraid of going to hell, just ask God to put you under the blood of Jesus, and put your faith in Him, then it's a done deal! He knows our hearts. He knows we're trying. Just keep trying. You and I will make it someday.
As someone who has taken any and all oral pain meds (started on this track due to several MAJOR surgeries) - Ultram is as addictive if not moreso than the the "true" opiods.  I tend to get more of a "high" from Ultram (granted, in very high doses) than anything else I taken over the past few years(Dilaudid, morphine, vicodin, darvocet, oxycontin, etc.)  Anyone (any addict)who is fooling themselves that is a "safe" alternative is wrong.  It is actually more dangerous, but doctors prescribe it without reservation due to it's non-narcotic classification.  Sure, Ultram is safe for those who are not addicts.  But then, so are morphine, dilaudid, vicodin, and oxycontin!
Ive been taking Ultram 50mg. 2tabs very 4 hrs or as need for pain for about 2-3 mos. now Ive never really noticed any "high"
from it although I use to be very addicted to Vico ES and they would get me high but the Ultram has only helped with the pain in my neck from swollen disc. If I am wanting to buzz Ill drink maybe only on weekends either Fri night or Sat night.But my Dr gave me Prozac for my Depression from withdrawls of the Vicos...Ive been Clean ofer 6 mos now.....Still I have Depr. and anxiety....but its much better than it was 3/4 mos ago......M
Thank you for a very moving post, jim.  I pray every single day for the strength to go through w/d and to beg for forgiveness from God for being a screw-up, a horrible person, a disappointment, etc.  When I pray my rosary, I beg the Lord to hear my prayer despite the fact that I am a user, an addict, as I pray for my family and friends and for my spouse and myself.  I believe He is listening, but is He disgusted with me?  I'm sure of that!  I am ashamed to call myself a Catholic, go to church, and look at others around me with jealousy b/c THEY aren't weak and spineless, like I am.  I've been on trams for 14 mos. 8-9 50mg. a day; am going to try to take only 2 instead of 3 at noon and go from there.  I have colitis pain and after my script ran out, I bought off the Internet b/c I can afford it.  Now, look what I've done to myself!  

I beg my God to love me and forgive me, though I don't love and forgive myself.  Since I am terrified of w/d, I cannot address that pain, which makes me feel even more pathetic.  Maybe many people think "those stupid religious fanatics"~~~I am not a fanatic; I just love the Creator and am horrified that I have done this to myself and abused the gift of life.  I'm such a fool.  God's blessings and my love to you all.
WOW, THIS IS MEDHELP HISTORY, A STUDY 9 YRS AGO, NOW THINK ABOUT WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT ULTRAM
I REMEMBER WHEN I WAS A TEEN I WAS GIVEN SAMPLES OF ULTRAM FOR CRAMPS
NO ONE KNEW IT WAS A BEAST
I WONDER WHAT DRUG WE WILL BE TALKING ABOUT BEING A BEAST IN 9 YRS
I JUST LOVED THIS THREAD!!
I agree with the "changed life" brought on by taking Tramadol.  I've never used drugs, not even tried pot.  I don't drink either.  I'm not a religious freak (I don't go to church) it's just that I like my mind to be clear to enjoy life.  Two years ago I developed interstitial cystitis. It got to the point that I could eat only about five foods that wouldn't make my bladder feel like someone scrubbed it with steel wool and then poured rubbing alcohol over it.  I'd stop 2-3 times on the way to work to pee.  I was up 5-6 times a night peeing boiling water.   I was finally prescribed 50 mg. tramadol three times a day.  I too have my life back.  I'm to the point now that I only take tramadol when I eat spicy or acidic foods.  It's a godsend to me.  It doesn't seem  to affect me in anyway except take away my bladder pain.  

I feel sympathy for all of you struggling out there with addictions.  I wish there was a magic pill you could all take that would take the cravings away.  After reading several topics about tramadol on this site, I was  afraid, but Skeebo, I was glad to read your post because it sounds just like me.  

Peace and happiness be on all of you.
I'm on ultram and it doesn't make me high or feel anything; nor does it do much for pain.  Is it supposed to be a good painkiller? Thanks.
Has anyone heard of the "Opiate imunization shots" that they are starting to produce?  It is supposed to make it so that you can't get high from opiates however they still produce reliefe from pain, also they have a alcohol one comeing out for alcoholics.   saw this on a news channel.. reliable source
This is a ten year old post I would start a new thread ....
avis
I'm currently detoxing from Ultrams and let me tell you this is harder than regular pain meds. Can't stop shaking... Hot flashes and can't sleep! This is day 2 and this *****!
Hi!  This is a super duper old post!  Hit "post a question" and you can post your situation and any questions, and you will get lots and lots of support!!!!

I've been off of tramadol for almost 8 months (? I THINK!) and I agree it's a killer!!!!
ive been taking ultram for 4 years and if i dont have it i withdrawl (withdrawal) really bad ..i need it though for my pain..its a really good pain reliever ..ultram binds to the opioid receptor in the brain and central nervous system just like oxy's do and morphine and herion..its nat a euphuric high but it takes all ur pain away and makes u work really good!!!
I was on ultram for a short period. I was in a motorcycle accident back in '86 my left side is shot. My ankle, knee, back (bad), hip, and now my shoulder. I went from tylenol 3 to lortab (20 years now). Never abused them, never got "high" but am dependent on them just to take the edge off so I can function since my pain never, never goes away. I do have a weird system. Thru the years my dr let me try a variety of drugs to see if they would help. So here comes the ultram and as usual nothing. Now years later a friend of mine told me she loves ultram but has to take 10 at a time to get high. OK, my weird system I told her to give me 15 and like an idiot I took them and guess what...NOTHING! Not high, no headache, didn't pass out, didn't get sick. Tried it one more time with my friend and as she was having a great time under the influence, I was not. Want no more ultram, high dose or low. Either way, NOTHING. Some people do get high, some it helps with pain well, some people (ME) get no benefit what so ever. It all depends on how you are wired in the brain I guess. Best of luck to all! DEE088
hey mike i was a pain killer addict for seven years i was taking anything and everything and oxycodone is the worst let me tell you and Ultram AKA Tramadol was the first thing i got started on (i blew out my knee when i was 13) and it is very addicting but yes not like oxys but anyway 8 months ago i had an overdose on ultram if you have never taken it before or if you have not taken it in a very long time your body does not have a tolorence to it and just because it acts,like an opiate its NOT i was going threw withdraws took 15 of the 50 mg had a grand mall seizure and stopped breathing for 2 and a half minutes (I did not know that Ultram lowered your seizure threshold) so what ever you do do not take more than a few other then that bubrenex AKA SUBOXONE or SUBUTEX is a pain medication like methadone but less habit forming and way stronger you can only get a script if you go to a (suboxone clinic) AKA an addiction specialist because they use it to wean people off opioids/opiates and you may find the occasional doctor that has a regular practice and is licensed to prescribe it but it works wounders for pain and withdraws (if you dont abuse it) so what i would do is i would find a clinic make an appointment wean yourself off then get on ultram for chronic pain but thats just me glad if i could help :)
the reason you blacked out was because you had a seizure trust me i know what im taking about
Hey,
You cannot take suboxone or subutex for opiate withdrawls....unless you are in 36 to 48 hours into full blown withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms. I  know, because I quit methadone pills and started on subutex (buprenorphine) after only about 28 hours of taking my last methadone pill.

I ended up at the ER completely out of my mind, screaming and agonizing. I was scaring everyone in the ER. If I had owned a gun, I would have shot myself in the head to escape the twisting and squeezing of my nervous system.

Because buprenorphine is a partial opioid agonist, it immediately knocks all the opiate out out of your system and puts you into full-blown withdrawls! Please wait at least 2 or 3 days before you try taking subutex or suboxone! You will be sorry if you don't. On the upside, buprenorphine is a good pain med... I have been on it for 7 years and have not built a tolerance to it. I started on 8mg, twice a day, and now I am on 2mg twice a day, with great pain relief!