Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Found this in my son's room..

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Found this in my son's room..

Hi everyone,

I've been really worried about my son lately, and fairly certain he is using drugs, and then I was putting laundry away in his room this morning and found a small plastic baggie, and inside there are two small green gem-like things. They have some brown on them, almost look like burnt or something.  Could someone please help me identify what these are?  Are they a drug of some sort? I've been looking online but can't find anything.  Thank you!
Hi Mom & Welcome,

I must be out of touch, and that is a good thing for me, because I have never heard of a green gem like thing. Perhaps some other members will come on and shed some light on this one.

In the meantime it is my rule that if you think someone is doing something they probably are. Can you tell us a bit about his behavior and I am sure we will recognize that.

Stick around and be patient for answers. There is a lot of good support here.
Nope!  That is a new one for me.  I would ask him about it in a non-confrontational way.  Is that possible?  What kind of relationship do you have with him?  

It would be my first thought that anything that is kept hidden in a bedroom in a baggie is probably not a good thing!  But I try not to accuse until I have facts when it comes to my personal life.

Keep us posted!
Are there numbers on the pills, that would be an easier way of trying to google it. I hope you find out what they are!
But I am sure you would have already done that if they did!!! Good luck!
they aren't pills, they have like a plastic look to them.  Our relationship has been awful for the past couple of months, and I know asking him would only lead to a fight and anger...
If it looks a little burnt and is not exactly in pill form this could be heroin...
How old is your son?
I have never seen Heroin, but if it looks burned then I would say it's something similar!  I'm really sorry!
Have you considered taking them to the local pharmacy and asking what it is? If you have any sort of relationship with the pharmacist they may be able to help you.

Also, does you son seem to be moody? Sleeping a lot? Has his appetite changed? Is he hanging around a new group of friends? Tell us about his behavior.

I am also thinking these could be some sort of stones that may be part of a ritual for a society or a club? Just trying to think of everything....
He's been extremely moody, which is so not typical for him.  He's 18 years old.  He snaps at me and my younger daughter over minor things that would not normally elicit a response from him, or any normal functioning person really.  He's been going out all the time, and I never know when he's going to come home.  He only sleeps when he's here. He used to love music and now doesn't even want to play.  I feel like I'm losing my son.
Ok, is there someone who could sit down with you and talk with him?  It sounds like something is going on, and if you are not having good communication with him recently, you may need some help.  Do you have a family doctor?  He/she might could help you with this.  A pastor or priest may be able to help as well if you can figure out what is going on.

Best of luck.  I know this must be hard!  
This is so very sad. It always breaks my heart when I talk with a mom who fears for her child.

If you cannot sit and talk with him and do not feel that he will be honest with you then you have some decisions to make. These decision are never easy and they involve tough love. The tough love protects you and any other siblings in the house and it may just help him but there is no guarantee for that.

this is just one school of thought and I am not saying that you do it, just consider it. Your son is living in your house and as long as he is under your roof and you are providing him shelter, food and clothing, then he has to abide by some rules. Right now by allowing him to do as he pleases you are in effect enabling him. If he is moody then he may be a danger to himself and to you as well. There has to be some respect there and if he is not willing to abide by the rules and respect you and your home then maybe other living arrangements have to be made. If you don't mind my asking, is his dad in the picture?

I know you want to protect him, he is your child and that is natural but if he is using drugs or is part of some cult you are actually harming him by allowing him to continue with his behavior. If there are no consequences for his actions he will continue with them. And it never gets better on its own.

You have a lot to think about and may have to make some tough decisions. I hope you keep talking with us here. As more members come on they can give you suggestions and share their experience.
If he's enjoyed playing music in the past and now doesn't have any interest in it now, then something is diverting his attention..If he's snapping and being moody , then that could be an indicator of some sort of abuse.  Does he drink at all?
I doubt its Heroin, in all my dealings with it I never saw green gem stone form of it, it's either white, brownish, or black. Crystal meth can take on a lot of different colors since it's so crudely produced, Ive seen it naturally come out blue and pink. Either way, Id ask about it. He deserves to be asked even if he doesn't want to be.
I have, (very rarely though) seen green crystal meth.

I was reluctant to say so, in case it's something completely different/harmless and causes family conflict.

I hope it's not.

Take care.
My girlfriend is a recovering meth addict with a little more clean time than me, she said the same as you. The detail that made me think meth, though, was that he only sleeps when he comes home. Sounds a lot like coming off a bender to me, my cousin was using meth for a long time and that was his routine, never know when he'd come home but when he did he would always just sleep.
My feeling is exactly the same as yours. I just didn't want to convict the poor lad if he'd just picked up some tiny stones from the beach....   Nah come on me! get real! who collects little stones in a plastic baggie!

I was trying to be trusting, non-judgemental and impartial.... I just failed.

take care
J~

Okay,obviously they're not emeralds. (Too bad!!)

You've got a situation right now and it needs to be dealt with. I agree with everything IBK said. You need some answers fast!

It's your house. If the green stuff is meth,that,of course,is illegal. That's cause enough to be furious; it was brought into your home.

I've never been faced with this situation but my Mother has: Many years ago she found something "funny" under my teenage brother's mattress. She took it,put on a towel on the kitchen table,and waited for him to come home. Confrontation ensued and all was settled THAT DAY!  She is not one to tip toe around and you shouldn't be either...
It's your house and your kid. Protect them both and get to the bottom of this right away.
Call for back up (family) and help him. You're a good Mom!