Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Friend abusing benadryl, not sure what to tell him

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

First post to the forum, not really sure what to expect, but I do have a question:

One of my friends has been taking benadryl in excess in order to become delusional.  It's roughly the same chemical that's in dramamine, which people abuse as well.  It seems unpleasent to me, but it's apparently a 'trip' that a very small percentage of people who try it do enjoy.

Usually, I don't get involved in anybody's drug abuse, but this is so odd I had to ask someone.  He takes about 600mg in a dose, probably every other day or so (because it's so cheap), and apparently the next day he still sees traces of hallucinations in his vision.  Additionally, his hands are apparently getting red blotches on them for days after taking it.

I'm pretty concerned about him, but he won't listen to me to stop, mostly because I haven't been able to come up with any resources showing that it's actually bad for you.  I understand his point, as we all know that most drugs (weed, dxm, shrooms, etc) are not really all that harmful when done correctly, and there's a lot of anti-drug hype out there.  But what concerns me here is that he's got symptoms I can't explain for days after.

What could these red blotches on his hands and trace hallucinations be a symptom of?  What can long-term benadryl abuse actually do to you?

If it's just as a result of being slightly allergic to the drug, and it's not permanent, I don't really care.  If it's actually causing liver or kidney damage or something, I'm going to need to make a serious thing about it.

Thanks in advance,
lollerskates
Tell him to STOP!!! I did the same thing awhile back, took them to relax before bed, then I had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic, so they gave me benadryl to counter act it, then I had an allergic reaction to the benadryl and almost died, my body had built up some kind of resistance to it, as with anything you abuse, and it backfired big time, so now I have to wear a medical bracelet that says I'm allergic to it, along with a bunch of other stuff...the ambulance driver said there are a lot of people allergic to benadryl, and they've lost quite a few of them before they even get to the hospital!  I'll pray for you both!
I seem to be having the same problem with that. I have been taking it for almost two years about 7 25mg a day and now I am addictided to it. I cant seem to stop, It makes me shake, and makes me dizzy if I go with out it. I am gona head to the doctors about that problem, and I hope the best for your freind. He needs to try his best to stop. In the long runs it is knowen to shut down vital organs in that high of a dose..
Your answering a very old thread. If you click on POST A QUESTION at the top of this page, you'll get more responses.
Welcome to the forum.