Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
GAIN WEIGHT WITH OPIATES OR SUBOXONE?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

GAIN WEIGHT WITH OPIATES OR SUBOXONE?

Hi everyone I hope everybody is doing great and I hope your day has been smooth, now to my question I know that when I was taking lortabs I was hungry all the time and felt like**** blooded and that was one of the reasons I stop using because in the last year I gained about 5 to 7 pounds but I was just chatting with someone and they say that she has gained 57 pounds since been on suboxone, do you guys know if you gain weight been on it? please let me know if anyone knows anything.
GS
well ost the time you r appetite decreases while using Narcotic pain killers so that is kind of strange. It makes sense though that your friend who is on Suboxone gained weight because that is a drug used to treat opiate dependency...therefore blocking opiate affects which one is losing weight and appetite. You may just have a high metabolism even when on pills. it must not slow down while using. Im just saying what makes sense to me...don't know for sure.....maybe someone will no more.....Peace and good luck!
                        -Danners
I gained 42 pds on perc's. Doing a little better on the sub. I seemed to be more motivated on the sub.  I couldn't get motivated at all on the perc's. (maybe the first year) but everything went to **** after that.
I guess I didn't mention that I'm on suboxone now for 5 weeks and I'm still eating all the time, I guess is me and not the pills lol, no for real I don't want to gain more weight I have notice that I have gained more since sub I don't even want to get on the scale
when you say more motivated is that doing exercise and not eating as much?
I actually never had an appetite while on the opiates, but have no clue about the Sub....sorry.
Yeah, seem to have better control over eating. While on perc's all I wanted was chocolate and starches...bread, pasta, pizza, .  Probably didn't eat a fruit or veggie in 4 yrs. lol   Now I seem to eat much better.  Trying to get in the exercise mode. Boy it's not easy after 4 years.
I was like confused had no appetite while on the pain pills. had lost like 25 or more pounds thu it all, but now that i have quit all i seem to do is eat :(  but dont know about Sub....sorry
bobby
It will be easier to get in the exercise mood on Sub then on any kind of narcotic painkiller.....guaranteed.
I guess I'm just a pigy my self lol, I guess I just need to control my self and exercise I have a gym at my house and I still can't seem to make my self use it lol I just look at it but I do seem to be more motivated to exercise just taking about it before while on the lortabs I didn't even think about it
Hi I have been on Suboxone for a few months. I HAVE gained weight. Although I must say there have been so many things going on in my life that I can't honestly say that I attribute it all to the Sub.  Very hard to tell..........there are so many factors that can cause  one to eat more or not and gain weight.  I am sure that I have been no help but put in my 2 cents.............LOL. Good luck to you.
That made me think weather i was to quick to jump and blame methadone, because there are skinny people on it, But i definately know it makes me crave sugar and that's what has put my weight on. I mean im not double my weight  but 20-30kilos to me is far to much really, im tall im lucky but i hate it , i know i was to skinny before but i think for me 100kilo's would be great, i do exercise a little but i gotta tell ya shifting it is like walking in mud, I've seen some at the pharmacy to with donuts and so in hand for breakfast lol , maybe there is alot of factors involved but its strange prior to methadone i had no sweet tooth i never ate desserts after tea. This week I've started to eat dried fruit
I have been on Vicodin, then Perc's, Morphine, now to Fenytnal patches and Vicodin again for break through pain. When I first started taking all this mess I would go into euphoria and I would crave and devoure(sp) food. tt was like I was getting more high off the food! It went hand and hand with me.. I am going to be going through detox on May 18th... My last Patch is going to be on May 16th. Then its on to Subox..SO we will see. I had gastric bypass surgery and then I had a couple surgeries after that, then came the back pain, neck pain all do to buldging disks. It was harder for me to get painrelief because I can no longer take NSAIDS like Adivl, Aleve, Asprin. So that is how I got into this mess. Now my body is in more pain then to begin with! I wish you luck and hope that you lose..After reading this I really hope that my brain gets back to normal because this stuff (opiate/narcotics) ain't no joke..
Omg I gained like 20+ pounds in about 6 weeks. I am hoping I lose it quickly as I have always been small till this! Only a couple days in a this point but so far not too bad. And already lost 2 pounds!! :)
ive gained 20 pounds in the past 7 months, i think its cuz i eat sweets and deserts more than normal food when on the pills and dont do to much, im hoping it comes off with being offa them, but its probably cuz of unmotivation and bad diet :P
Yes, I've gained 30 LBS in the 6 mos I've been on Suboxone. I tend to eat more when I'm relaxed, which is what it does to me. I eat all the time vs never eating before. So I'd say it's more of a psychological reason, at least for me.