Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Getting off Fioricet-Bulbital

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Getting off Fioricet-Bulbital

I've been in AA for 26 years -- no alcohol, active member.  BUT.  Started taking Fioricet in 1996 and been through the mill with it.  Got off in 2001, but because of migraines, relapsed.  Cannot bear this silent addiction any longer.  Online ordering is easy but I want out of this cycle.  Take about 12 Bulbital (generic) per day.  It gets worst on some days.  Am active A-type person, mother, wife, full-time job, and stress, like we all have.  Still, I know I'm losing the battle here.  I need to withdraw, quietly and privately.  I can do it (I hope) -- but suggestions for getting through it?  Most doctors, I've ever shared this with don't understand this drug -- it's an old one. Their answer -- oh, just stop.  Not quite that easy . . . been there.  And now -- it's been 7 years of taking it -- much more difficult to just get off, I'm afraid.  Am over 50. My best thought is to wean.  Not easy, but I feel it must be done.  I am willing to set aside the time needed here to live through the pain.  I assume the rapid-detox that I've heard about does not apply with this med. Experienced suggestions are welcome.  Thanks.
Tags: withdrawal, Migraines, help!, Pain
Hang in there. I am not familar with these drugs, but others should be responding soon. Keep reading and posting on this forum. It will help.
Welcome OK I did a little research when I saw your post , I see that it is the same protocol as benzos , They prefer you detox in the hospital because of seizure risks ... So that is something to think about .
If you are going to detox at home ,taper taper taper ,,,, it seems using some valium as a replacement (normal I would tell addicts to stay away from benzos) in this case it is the safest thing to do . I have an article in my journal about this ...... plz let us know who you are doing.
avis
Butalbitol in Fiorecet is a barbiturate. Like benzodiazapines and alcohol (and unlike opiates), barbiturate addiction can be life-threatening and SHOULD NOT be done alone. Seizers can occour.  Please get a doctor's care and withdrawal under his/her guidance. Barbiturate withdrawl (withdrawal) sometimes must be done in-patient, to do it safely. Don't fool around with this one, it could be dangerous.

In other words: DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!
OBX   is right do not do this unless you have spoken to a doctor ,I know no one wants to go to the doctor and tell them that they have become addicted to something but you HAVE TO in this case ....
PLZ be honset this is your life we are talking about
hi, i have a different situation, but i'm, trying to tapper off firocet. it's a barbitate, and yesterday i just stop taking it, about 24 hours later,scarey stuff happend to me.  it was bad, i was freaking out, i knew something was wrong with me, but didn't connect with the fact that i was detoxing. i immediately took pills.  it took 8  to stop the wiyhdrawal.  todays my ist day and  i'm keeping a journal and i am going to try to wean myself slowly.  it seems i need 8 every 8hours.  24 today, and i'll take 7 before i go to bed tonight, around midnight if i need 8,ineed 8.. i was eating the things like candy,not realizing how serious a withdrawal it was going to be.  since your post is from a few months ago (january) i was wondering if you could tell me how you did.  i mostly don't want to go to the hospital because i'm afraid they won't take my withdrawal serious enough and i'll suffer physyically and psycologically. unfortunately i know what i'm talking about,at least in my area because i was an RN detox nurse, and firocet seems so much less acute than say heroin.... but it's not!!!  please let me know how you're doing!  ***@****
Hi, you sound a lot like me.  I took Fioricet and then Phrenilin for 6 years and was up to 10 a day.  I couldn't take my other headache meds because while I was doing chemotherapy everything else made me feel bad.  I went to the Keeler Migraine Center and spent 4 days in the hospital to get off.  They used Phenobarbital as a replacement and then I was tapered off of that for more than a month.  I still get headaches and we are working on a preventative med.

Dr.'s really need to tell patients how addictive this med is.  It shouldn't be taken more than 5 days a month and in many European countries they have outlawed it.

I hope there is a clinic near you that will help.  Hang in there - it can be done.

backbaybeck
I can tell you from my experience it can be done in the privacy of your own home.. I was taking 20 pill a day went straight down to 8 pills it was very hard then I tappered down by a half each month down to 41/2 now. My husband holds my meds for me in gives them to me this really helps. If you can get somebody to hold your meds in give them to you that would be great. I would start by cuting down by a half every month in taking your vitamins multi in all you B vitamins. I talked to A Pharmist on this site and they even agree that tapperin off this medication is the best thing to do. You will have some bad days at first but it gets better trust me. I still have bad day but I have not gone back. If you stay on this site in read it will make you stonger and keep a journal. If you have any ?s feel free to E-Mail me I will be glad to help you. Best of Luck!!!
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
This is the first time I've gotten an email from this site that there were any comments on my original post regarding withdrawal from Fiorcet, in January 2008.  I'm sorry I didn't get this notice earlier -- but the timing is amazing.  I am down to 6 per day -- and I take them in 3 hour increments.  I was up to 16 (also taken in increments, sometimes 2 at a time every 2 hours) per day.  It has taken over 2 weeks to get to 8, and now I'm at 6 for just 2 days.  I wouldn't suggest tapering this quickly, and I may have to go back to 8 per day, if I must, to avoid the withdrawal symptons.  I've had experience with this -- plenty.  If I go off too quickly, I'll give up more easily --but have a tendency to want to speed up the process and "be perfect."  You can probably relate? The way I am doing it is by making a schedule daily.  Such as (1) 6AM, (2) 9AM, (3) 12PM, (4) 3PM, (5) 6PM and (6) 9PM.  No it's not easy and there are times when I truly cannot focus, am physically very shaky and want to give up. I am only sleeping about 4-5 hours a night.  I am resolved not to give up.  I have daily headache pain ON this drug -- so I might as well have daily headache pain OFF this drug.  I also suspect, after many years of trying many different routes, that many of my headaches are now completely caused by rebound from Fiorcet.  I work a full day -- and am trying to keep that up -- but there are moments when I truly wonder if I can.  I'm taking it one day at a time.  I  hope this helps anyone going through this.  This drug -- like all addictive substances -- is truly a "monkey on your back" kind of cycle.  It's always there waiting, pulling me down, making me feel that no matter how kind, helpful, and productive I am, I'm BAD.  I really would like out of the vicious cycle.  Pain is not fun, but I think I can handle it.  Uneasy feelings, anxiety, fear, etc. -- are at the gut of the issue and again, that can only be handled one day at a time.  I attend AA (have been sober from Alcohol and any other med for 27 years), but I don't share about this there.  Small town.  My best to everyone. From "Almost home."
hi I have been taking fioricet for tension and migraine headaches for two years now. I was using way too many over the counter nsaids trying to get rid of headaches and coffee. Then once a month on the day I start my menses cycle i get a full blown migraine requiring a trip to an e.r. to get shots of torodol and phenrgin etc. Then I was told after a couple of years i need a preventive medication. I went to a neurologist and was put on imetrex for onset of migrains. Then i began getting more migraines everyday for the week of my periods. I was taking two imetrex a day. This is dangerous i was told. I also am alergic (allergic) to it. In between I get tension head aches in the back of my head and daily take fioricet one or two and someday try not to and end up taking Tylenol or Motrin. My tension headaches have increased I wake up with them in the mornings. They return in the afternoon. With or without meds. I recently have gone back to a new neurologist and they sent me to get an MRI. This shows spots on my brain. Then sent me back for a second MRI with contrast to rule out M.S. Then called me in and said they wanted a third  cervical MRI with contrast. Whilke waiting for that appointment I was called my their offices and they rushed me to get a lumbar puncture /spinal tap. I am waiting those results. Meanwhile my headaches are worse. I was but on topomax (topamax) and could not function. I have a child and am a single mother of a 3 year old. I can not take something that messes with my concentration and dopes me up or memory. I could not remember if i shaved both legs five minutes after getting out of the tub. I could not remember what i was doing from one minute to the next,like cooking food. I burned things.To I stopped taking them. Then they tried a beta blocker Inderol or something for blood preasure ,though my blood pressure is normal. This was migraine prevention. My pulse rate went into the 40's so I was taken off. Now they suggest neurontin. I just want to detox. I feel so ill. I am nauseated and shaky and just feel toxic and desperately want to quit all this medication.I have been a guinny pig for years with psych meds ,multiple wrong diagnosis. Nothing helped or worked and made things worse. I have been on over 35 different psyche meds. I have had a worsening of headaches,weight gain. Then started being treated for fibromyalgia. Though no one ruled out M.S. properly or lupus or Lyme disease. Only ruled out R.A. I was given opiate pain meds and muscle relaxers then lyrica all did nothing helpful. Then I self medicated with abuse of over the counter crap for years taking way too much and for way too long. My health has declined.It is hard to trust their diagnosis process and their plan of treatment. Every year more meds and new worse diagnosis are added. I have G.E.R.D,Migraines,tension headaches,auto immune issues,hormone imbalances,vision issues,a hernia panic attacks and asthma,allergies,and eating disorder issues.No medication help and this is not working for me. I feel like i am being poisoned to death. I want to go the holistic,natural ,spiritual route instead.I am done supporting the western medical practice and drug pushing pharm. industry.I need help detoxing. I don't want more meds to replace meds or meds to help with side effect of other meds. I don't want a band-aid,I don't want suppression of symptoms. I want a cure. I want to make adjustments in diet,life style,and emotional ,spiritual whole body health. Is there anyone out there who has had a similar experience and desire who has done this and can guide me in this process so I do it safely and gently in a non evasive non intrusive healing way?