Getting off Opioids
If I go to my family physician, can he help and keep it confedential or is he legally to report it to the cno or my work?  This is my worry, I am employed full-time as a nurse and I want to know if I can take care of this confedentially with out having it reported out in the open.  What are family physicians legalities when they have a patient that has an addiction?  this is my worry about getting professional help but I think it is the best route to go.
Good for you asking for help. That is a positive step in the right direction.

Your doctor cannot report you as you are protected under the HIPPA Act. He cannot even discuss your medical history with a spouse (for example) unless they sign a disclosure permitting him to do so.

I hope that he will help you and you can get off of the drugs and begin to get your life back. Good luck and let us know how you are.
As IBK said you are protected under the HIPPA law.  We have other nurses on here who are in recovery.  Stick around, ask questions, we have a great support system here~~sara
Your doctor is not likely to report you to your licensing body. However he has a duty to report if he feels you are a risk to the public and unable to do your job safely.

If this happens then your licensing body will launch a formal investigation and send you to an addictions specialist. This would also happen if they recieved a complaint about suspicions of you using on the job (diversion, narcotic shortages, behaviour, etc).

Opiate addiction with nurses never ends well. Having access to our drug of choice is a barrier to getting clean and staying clean. Usually we get found out, have licenses suspended and are mandated to rehab. I speak from experience.There are many health care professionals in our shoes so don't feel alone. I commend you for wanting to get better! I strongly suggesting NA meetings and continuing to gather as much info as you can about detoxing. One thing is for certain..you cannot lose your job because you have an addiction. However I have talked to nurses who have been charged for theft and have lost thier jobs as a result of a criminal record. At this point the ball seems to be in your court. You may do well to take a medical leave and detox in an inpatient rehab. Work may not have to know if the rehab is your choice rather than a 'disciplinary' measure. I'm guessing you live in the States and your laws are likely different. It's alot to consider I know but you want to set your self up for a successful recovery. I just worry that keeping it a secret will backfire in the long run as it has for so many nurses I know..Including myself.

I'm here to support you in anyway I can and am sending heartfelt hugs your way :o)

Peace
I would never think of doing snything to affect my professionalism on the job.  I dont use at work.  The only thing that I am at risk of is if I detox I have to have the time off to do so.  You cannot function when going through widthdrawal and I would never work going through widthdrawals.  aslo what is the HIPPA act?   thats the problem I never have enough time to fully detox off work and methadone i can not do related to my working hours.  so I feel stuck. I dont know if going to my family physician would be the best or if it will ruin my career and life.  My addiction is secured to myself, noone knows and noone would ever ever suspect that i would even have one.  this is what frightens me.  I excel in everything i do and i keeep very active and live a healthy lifestyle other than this addiction i cannot kick.  I am scared of what to do because it is a financial and health strain on myself.
If I spelled it properly you could have looked it up yourself. Sorry about that.

Here is a link for you:

http://healthsystemcanada.com/2011/06/hipaa-compliance-hitech-act/