Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Go to treatment or what???

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Go to treatment or what???

10556246?1402560961
  Hello! My name is Dee. I'm 53 yrs. old, have 3 adult sons and 8 grandchildren.  My history of drug use is very long, 30-33 yrs., so I'll just get to it. (I have to thank God right now for letting me have a home and my family.)
  I got off Suboxone about a month ago. What I need advice on is this:  Even though I'm clean, I'd like to go to inpatient drug rehab, (at least a 30 day program), to work thru all of these emotions that are coming to the surface.  Personally, I feel as though I should go to rehab, with a 12 step program, other addicts, the substance abuse counselors and so on. BUT, a friend of mine suggested checking out other options. I took it to mean mental health. What other option could there be?  (Will ANY rehab let a person in that tests clean? Hmmm... There HAS to be one in Chicago, or it's suburbs. For goodness sake the place is huge!!

Hi there~
I echo the thoughts of openmind and ibkleen...

30 day inpatient rehabs require you to detox BEFORE you enter their facilities - generally. Most do anyway. So, you will be ahead of the game!! :) My son has been to several rehabs and they required detoxing prior to entry... and I went to rehab and they also required me detox first.

My experience... treatment for me was truly a jump start life saving experience for my sobriety journey. I highly recommend it!! I was able to set myself apart for 30 days... and focus 100% on my sobriety path!!  THAT is a huge BLESSING not everyone has the ability to do.... IF you can do it, I say DO it!! It gives us the opportunity to just saturate ourselves in living sober... learning new skills and tools and being around others who are doing it successfully... counselors at hand... case workers... you name it. I look at my time at treatment as the most valued HUGEST blessing - can't say enough good about it! .... and then you get out... and the real work begins :)... but it gives you the JUMP start and a GOOD one I think we could all use. For ME, it was.

Wishing you the very best!! Keep choosing YOU!
how bout going to meetings NA and AA i just started going on sunday today is my fourth day clean and i resisted meetings and telling my husband and family my secret for months have you tried meetings? and maybe a therapist too? and i don't think a rehab will take you in if you are clean i had a friend who smoked crack and went to the er wanting to go to rehab and they said they couldn't put her in rehab for that she had to have alcohol in her system they told her to go drink a beer yea and this was at YALE that hosp ***** anyways but i don't know what the rules are in your area
My vote would be to go to treatment. Go with your own instinct, this is your life not your friends. Just like you said, 12-step meetings, getting with other addicts... It works for me and has worked for many others. You have the right idea.
Hi & Welcome,

I always tell people if you have the money by all means GO. I've been and I can say it is an absolute worthwhile experience. If you feel the place you are thinking of is not suited for you, I can give you some recommendations.

BTW, congrats on getting clean and wanting to get on with your life and wanting to engage in aftercare. That is fantastic!!!
Choose a place you'd like to go, give them a call and explain your story. I think they will welcome you.
Hi there~

personally, i would go to an inpatient mental health facility and there you can work on all your issues that caused you to use.  you don't have to go to a state run one.  private ones are really full of people just like you.  90% of them are full of people with substance abuse, exhaustion, etc.  my fear is if you go to a rehab you will not get all the work on mental health that you need because they are focused on detox and people in immediate crisis.  a mental health facility is NOT like they show in the movies (non state run ones) and you will feel like you are on vacation.  when you leave you will be set up with many aftercare programs for substance abuse as well as had at least a week to work on what caused you to use in the first place.  that is what i would do.