Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
HUFFING/DRINKING RUBBING ALCOHOL

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

HUFFING/DRINKING RUBBING ALCOHOL

I AM NOW 21 YEARS OLD I AM ADDICTED TO ISOPROPYL RUBBING ALCOHOL I GO THRU ABOUT 1 AND A HALF BOTTLES A MONTH I LOVE THE SMELL AND I HUFF IT WHEN EVER I HAVE A CHANCE, I EVEN DRINK A TINY BIT BUT ITS MAINLY HUFFING WHAT I DO. I DONT KNOW WHY I JUST DO IT, ITS LIKE A DRUG TO ME! I FENE FOR IT AT TIMES I SNEAK AND DO IT, I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS SINCE I WAS 12 IM SURE ...WHAT DAMAGE IS THIS DOING TO ME? OR WHAT DAMAGE HAVE I DONE?
It is very toxic, and you are endangering your health.  Please stop!  Please find a help line if there is no one you feel you can speak to, or seek out assistance from your family doctor.
rubbing alcohol is a drying agent.  When you sniff the fumes, they enter the nose, mouth, and back of the throat and may enter the lungs drying out the mucus membranes.  Over time and continued use, some destruction of the membranes may occur in all these areas, including the lungs.  Once destruction of the lungs and accompaning bronchus have occured, it may never recover leaving you with some very severe upper respiratory disease.  See a doctor or check out rehab for this addiction before you compromise your life any more than you have.
I agree with everyone.  YOU WILL DIE if you continue down this road.  I watched a program the other day about huffing & these people who were born healthy ended up being "mentally retarded" (no offense, just wasn't sure the proper way to say it).  Their muscles were "rubbery", eyes almost cross-eyed & I can't even begin to describe what their minds were like.  Oh, by the way, their homes were in a cardboard box on the street!!  They actually started their lives in a middle-class upbringing too.  PLEASE STOP THE HUFFING - PLEASE STOP!!!!! May God Bless you & help you through this!!  People CARE about you!!!
What can happen to a crazy dude who drank a whole bottle of rubbing alcohol?
i have the same problem I thought I was the only one who liked the smell of alcohol now I moved on to nail polish It's hard to stop. I always keep alcohol pads on me
Obviously, you know that this is dangerous or you wouldn't have said something or asked about it.

Some things that are often suggested for people with various forms of addiction is finding some new and HEALTHY hobbies.  A big one is EXERCISE, like long walks.  Find someone you can walk with, who will support you in your efforts to avoid the things your addicted to.  So, don't do this with a fellow huffer or anyone else with a similar kind of addiction or addictive personality.  In other words, don't set yourself up for failure by doing this with someone else who might persuade you to fall back into your bad habit.  Alcoholics that go to meetings are told not to associate with others going to the same meetings, because this isn't healthy association outside of those purposeful meetings.

First, throw out all the alcohol and nail polish and anything associated with it.  Get rid of anything that you tend to gravitate toward that might be used as a substitute.  Consider using natural cleaning recipes found on care2.com under healthy living, because then you won't have ANY harsh chemicals vying for your attention.  Then, you'll stand a much better chance of letting those harmful chemicals clear out of your bodies.

This is a good first step, because you're reaching out for help and you can find a support network to help you stop this dangerous addiction.
I used to be a huffer.  I huffed airplane glue, spray paint, anything with toulene in it.
I only did this off and on for about 2 years in my early twentys.  At age 51 I was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis.  My lung sacks were scarred.  And I only have 50% lung function.  I have been on oxygen 24/7 ever since.  The Dr. said my condition would only worsen and cause my death.  I was given 2 years to live in 2002.  By the grace of God only, I am still alive in 2008.  But my quality of life is not very good.  I can barely walk from room to room dragging my oxygen hose behind me.  I must sit and let my breathing stabilize before I can even talk.  I did not tell the doctor of my history of huffing chemicals.  But I know the cause of my condition.  I don't know how I worked for 30 years with this condition.  Please know huffing will eventually kill you.  Please stop.
What do you do if you can not afford rehab for your son for huffing and he
is driving the family crazy?????
Can drinking rubbing alcohol kill you. My boyfriend is detoxing right now from alcohol and scrips. I found a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the clothes draw. for the last two days all he has done is slept. He has not eatten in about four days now and when he does wake he goes straight for a cig. and is very out of it. I am ready to take him to the hospital......
you really should stop this! i have been huffing rubbing alcohol for years and i an now 17 and am now suffering  heart condition although my doctor is still trying ti find the cause of my condition i knew all along that it was because of my addiction i do it almost everyday i know it is very hard to quit i understand completely i am today still trying to get rid of the addiction but i just cant even after i know its hurting me i dont know what to do!
I used to drank rubbing alcohol and managed to quit on my own. It was very hard the first month because my muscles ached and I always felt nauseated. I had several nightmares each time I slept and could hardly pull it together to even get in the shower. The first week after I quit was murder and I guess that's why I haven't gone off the wagon; I don't want to go through the withdrawls again. During the withdrawls you'll feel no hope and that its not worth it, but once the worst of the withdrawls is over, little by little, you'll begin to feel alive again and the change in how you'll feel about yourself will amaze you as is it did me. Alcohol is a depressant and it will help you feel a little less stressed only as long as you can keep the first 2 minutes of the buzz going and in order to do that, each time it wil require more alcohol, until it kills you. You don't have plenty of time to quit huffing and/or drinking rubbing alcohol; you must quit now! Alcohol truly is a devil in disguise!
I have the same problem. I have been huffing rubbing alcohol for the past 4 years. It started after I had my baby. I just put alcohol on a tissue for the smell. 3 years ago my husband died and I turned to the smell for comfort. I now huff it straight from the bottle and instead of 70% I am up to 99% only found at Safeway. the smell relaxes me and makes me feel good, I cnnot describe it. I do not get High but I love it. I'm now in  a new relationship and trying to hide the fact that I huff. He has not noticed the bottles in my car, in both my bathrooms, under my bed and in my purse. Some people say that if you take iron pills it helps the cravings go away. Well I have been taking them and as I sit here I'm at work with the bottle in my hand. I need he;p I'm just too embarrassed to tell a doctor. Any suggestions.  
Hi, please know there is nothing embarassing about this to open up with a trusted doctor.  You've taken the first step and posted and I just happened upon your post merely by accident .. so maybe there's a reason I'm posting this ... I don't know, but I'm sure a medical professional can help you .. YOU are NOT ALONE ... and realizing it's an addiction is the first healthy step and may be the hardest.
Its amazing that so many ppl have the same problem.  I have had bottles under
my bed in my car and the alcohol pads in my purse.  When I dont have them I crave them so bad to the point where I will rub hand santizer on a nampkin to smell it.  I dont know how the habit started but I will spend my last to get alcohol  from the store bc I feel like I need it.
You need to be in the addicts forum and get some help professionally to stop.
Hi im 13 years old and i have been sniffing rubbing alcohol out of the bottle. right now as i type im high off of it and im seeking advice about the side effects of being high. iv told my dad the truth about EVERYTHING and he appreciates my honesty and he said i need help....if ANYONE is out there....please email me.....i need help....my address is     bonnie.r.***@****
I have been huffing alcohol most my life.. I am currently 33 and was diagnosis with MS five years ago.  I believe that my addiction cause my MS and currently I have to give myself injections weekly (it aint fun).. In essence, what I am suggestioning to u young folks is to seek help because your not alone.  Don't wait until u are 33..
my name is faith  i have to kids and i huff rubbing alcohol im huffing it as i type. ive thrown out several bottles this few weeks i even huff alcohol swobs but latley ive been having heart and chest pains im scared i dnt know what to do. i also crave ice and sertan kind of chip with the alcohol its wierd sumone help me before i die i might have cervical cancer im only 18 plz help me
I have been doing alcohol for about 10 years, and the iron pills saved my life. I no longer carve alcohol at all.
I'm 24 yrs old and I too have the same problem I don't know where to get help I started with cleaning products like pine-sol than windex huffing now alcohol huffing and nail polish and remover! I feel a little relieved that there's people out there with the same problem! I'm going to set up an appointment with my doctor tomorrow after reading all these postings!!!
i also had that problem with rubbing alchol i will tell you all what causes it. Its caused because your Iron level being low. In my case i was anemic and i craved rubbing alchol with ice it all started when i was pregnant.It is actually called pica. get your iron level check out and some iron pill may help out but please do talk to your doctor it is more common than you think.
There is HOPE!!!!!!!!!
Hello everyone, i am a 20 years old woman who is addicted to 70% Rubbing Alcohol; I've always loved the smell of Rubbing Alcohol since i could remember; but lately i've been pouring it onto 100% Cotton Pads and sniffing it and than i tare the cotton pads apart for an even stronger smell. It's so hard to stop i CRAVE IT and it makes me FEEL GOOD/AMAZING, which is scary! I want to stop and i know that i can, but what if i have a cut or an injury? Can i not clean it with Alcohol because i'll go back to sniffing it? If i do go back to sniffing it will the craving be even stronger? I know that i'm doing MAJOR damage to my brain, i just honestly need HELP before something horrible happens to me!
You need to remove alcohol from the house, peroxide works just fine with cuts/scrapes.

This is a very very lethal habit. Please stop before it's to late.
I use to sniff rubber cement as a 12 year old, one time I opened a new bottle and sniffed and when finished the bottle was empty.....My mom found some of the bottles and confronted me, I cried and confessed promising never to do it again....well I never have.  However later on in my 20's I experimented with cocaine, weed and ecstasy...But my real love was vodka.....I was sober for 3 years relapsed for 2 years, and now have 2 years sobriety again because of AA.  I strongly suggest seeking help medically and therapeutically.  People around you have probably seen a change in you...The longer this goes on the more damage you do and the more the addition requires more and takes over.  If your at a point where you cannot stop.  You are approaching the end stages of addition.  Life is so much better when your clean.  Fears shy away, the emptiness inside is filled with so much more.  All the times I have gotten sober I have dreaded it because I feared bodily damage, I was dying, and everything else.  I look at life now with one day at a time and have quit numbing the pain.  Your fear is the addition, your disease of addition tells you it's the affect.  Take your life back, there is a solution today....God Bless you all...
You really need to get some help. Go talk to a doctor and see what they recommend. I would also start seeing an addiction therapist and attend some NA meetings. Addiction isn't as easy as just removing the addictive substance from your house. That would be like telling an alcoholic to remove the alcohol from there house when they could just walk down the street to the liquor store. Addiction goes so much deeper than just the substance we are abusing. Just because rubbing alcohol isn't as popular as other addictive substances doesn't mean it is any easier to stop using or that it should be treated any other way. You really need to seek outside support. You should also stick around here. The support here is amazing!

I hope you come back on here and let us know how you are doing.
WOW!!!  this is crazy! haha I thought I was the only one. Its very intresting hearing its relation to anemia. I also crave ice and rubbing alcohol and im anemic. I was just talking to my sister about this today wondering if there is a connection there. I just started carrying the bottle around with me a couple days ago and its so addicting. I already have a lot of health issues so I was trying to believe this isnt an issue but Im seeing it is a real big issue!
Sometimes Anemia (low iron) can cause you to crave non food items, that's why iron pills help. I have chronic anemia and I crave ice to chew on and isopropyl alcohol to sniff. When my hemoglobin levels are normal, I no longer crave these things.
Huffing not only damages the lungs, but when i worked as a nurse in a men's prison, i saw many men with the after affects of huffing. They had difficulty thinking, hands would shake uncontrollably, or other parts of the body would jerk. It affects the central nervous system, which affects every part of the body. And, nothing can change the damage that has been done. It only gets more damaging as the person gets older. No medicine can reverse the affects. It's a slow death sentence.
Well. I do not know if it is  an addiction  or not ,but this bad habit  started when  I use to work in th retail  and had to use  hand  sanitazer. At  that  time, it was   made out mostly of alcohol. Well, It is  been almost 4  years since I become introduce  through  my work  with alcohol. And even though  I donot  huff  like everyday. I would say  that at least  I´ll huff just a bit  right after I sanitazed my  hands or when I am  sick. So  I`ll say it is  like  four  times  a month  when  Iam  healthy. But  when I have a cold  or  fever then it could  be like  five  times  a day each one of  less  than 5 seconds of  huffing alcahol (alcohol) from   my hands.

SO do you people think I should  seek  medical help. ?

I think at his stage  I am  able to  kick  it  out, and not big deal I don`t think it is  an addiction , and I´ll  keep you all of you  post of my progress.
Hi my name is Nita, I  thought that I was the only one that craveed alcohol with ice, its like the best snack ever. I started 20yrs. ago but never thought anything of it. I started with pinesol, then windex , then sanitizer, to 70% alcohol to 99%. I really never took it that serious but now that I know what damages it causes I refuse to let it beat me. Im 40 years old now, I have migraines, starting to stop breathing in my sleep and I also have chest pains. I do associate my health problems with the huffing. I went on on website called INHALANT.ORG. they have some good advice on it from other who huff.
take him to the hospital call 911 and poison control. I accidently drank about 100-150 ml yesterday. Im fine and I called for help. They almost didnt believe me but they said not to worry. Im still worried but if im still alive tomorrow then im very happy and furtunate/blessed
How do you accidentally drink 100-150 ml?  For that matter, how do you accidentally drink anything?  I'm confused.
I do know about the long-term damage. My father died huffing and drinking it. He made it to 41. Stop it now. Unless you have no family or anyone who cares for you. Its crap. don't be stupid.
Sorry. Just re read my post. After all these years I'm still mad at him. Didn't mean to dump on you.
What if your drinking it all the time?
Wtf is wrong wit u don't so that **** your killing yourself!
Hi! Dave 3147  My name sherl I to i like to inhaled rubbing alcohol when i was 22 yrs. i'm 48 and still do it . i'm on a kidney machine that's when i stated inhailing alcohol it stated with the hand sanitizers . i have been on the kidney machine since 1986 to know. I to i'm oxygen 24/7 i don't know how to stop. If you have any ideas .
i was in the same problem i am 24 and i have 3 boys and i was addicted but i just stoped all together i went crazy but it was worth it i was prrego with my 3 child drinking rubbing alcohol and i found out he was born early for my habbits so i up and stoped now i am prego with my baby girl and im so happy im not doing it any more. and i also had cervical cancer with a leep it was taking care of. i wounder if alcohol has something to do with it...
damn gurl im the same way i wish i could find the 99% ive always just smelled the 91% since i was about 14 im about to be 20 but its addicting and my boyfriend dosent know either only some friends and ive even got them addicted to smelling it to idk y its hard to stop i just got to smell it evryday i go through 2 bottles a week
my mom use to sniff rubbing alcohol and now she is forgetting simple stuff like the bathroom, bedroom, and who is her oldest brother or sister is. For her youngest daughter I have to watch this as she gets worse.  Don't sniff ribbing alcohol, it does kill your brain sales
Hi to everyone
today ive been sniffing alcohol wipes for approx 7 years on a regular basis , i am a kidney patient and it started when i began my treaments , its hard to avoid the product because its issued along with my normal supplies and i am very fond of the sensation sorry extremely fond that is .
i am 40 yrs now and i am inspired by you all to STOP !! i was going through periods of ignoring the best advice and doing it because i loved the buzz , i am going to change it from now on NO MORE !!! and i would like to thank you all i was too embrrassed to speak about it to anyone . you all have inspired me thank you
Grateful
Have you experienced any other side effects or talked to your Doctor about it? I am just wondering as I had done it off and on for years. I have not done it in over 3 years. Now that I know how dangerous it is I have severe anxiety about the damage I may have done to my body. Just trying to find out what symptoms people that have done it for a long time are experiencing after inhaling rubbing alcohol over the years. I too am anemic and associate the love of the smell that I had to low iron. Any older inhalers feel free to chime in with your symptoms. If you are young and old please try and quit. Talk to your doctor and have our vitamin levels checked. This can really help pinpoint the issue and lead you to the road to recovery.

I am 16 and I sniffed and drank rubbing alcohol for about a year and a half. I thought about getting help and even told my a couple of my friends. What helped me stop drinking and sniffing it was getting it out of my house. The only way I thought I could do that of course was drinking it all so I did that. I never experienced severe reactions to it but I knew I had to stop. So I know I'm only a teen but to all you adult suffering from this just get it out of the house and stop buying it. Of course you are still going to have cravings for it but it's really not good for you. Not saying I'm doing any better I mean I eat paper like there is no tomorrow but I think drinking alcohol is alto worse. So yeah just get it out of the house.
Hello I stopped like three weeks ago and I am having horrible swelling in my stomach, legs, feet and ankles. I'm really scared. I started with hand sanitizer, then 70%, nail polish remover, Lysol and back to 91%. I could go through two big bottles a week and I could not wait until edit me because I knew I would have my privacy then.  I tried telling some people as a cry for help but others don't really know how real it is. I'm praying the swelling will run its course, but if not I'm going to the doctor. I'm too embarrassed o say what I have been doing for over 5 years. Everyone please stop, we are killing ourselves.  I'm praying for each person on this page for healing from the habit and healing of your bodies. Blessed