Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Hallucinations and near seizures from tramadol

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hello everyone,my name is tony and I would like to share my expieriences with trying to come off of the horrible drug called tramadol.About 3 years ago my doctor prescribed me tramadol for some back problems,during the same time I had been trying many different medications for very very bad depression,not normal depression but crippling depression(unable to sleep,leave my home,panic attacks,dillusions,intense paranoia,my world was a living hell and I came close to killing myself a few times)I have taken just about every drug out there at one time or another so I'm well versed on their effects and what they do.Well as I was saying,I was prescribed tramadol for some back problems and EUREEKA!!!!!! every problem I ever had was gone in an hour,I don't know whats in this stuff but it makes me feel like I'm a teenager again,all of a sudden all my interest's have returned,and the real biggie.......I'm actually able to talk to people,if you don't know what it's like to be scared to death with talking to a person I hope and pray to god you never have to find out.Tramadol is the only drug,and I mean the ONLY drug that has ever helped me,it made my life livable again but it came with a hefty price tag both in financial and mental conditions,I take around 50-60,50mg tramadols a day everyday,I spend over $200 a week on it and have about 10 scripts for it,maybe more because I lost track.I feel like I have sold my soul to the devil for tramadol,if I miss just one dose I start having very frightening side effects,I know what opiate addiction and withdrawals are like because I"ve been thru them(perc's,morphine and oxycontin to name a few)but tramadol is a whole other ball game,if I miss a day I become a danger to myself and others around me,I start having intense vivid hallucinations,If I do manage to fall asleep I have woken up from dreams but still seeing the dreams with my s open,I always think that I have the lights on but I'm sitting in the dark,I am not making any exagerations about this,tramadol is EVIL,it does somthing to your brain that no other drug does,apart from horrible hallucinations I get these brain zaps that feel like seizures,they are very painful and have thrown me to the ground more than once,it feels like some sort of seizure.I am scared to death to miss a dose of this stuff,I am afraid I might hurt myself by accident or hurt some one else because I really don't know what the hell I'm doing,I have tried to taper off this stuff and have gotten down to almost none at all(this was 2 years ago)but that depression I told you about?it comes back with gail force intensity,it seems no matter what way I go I'm in some sort of nightmare,damned if I do damned if I don't,by the way tramadol never did do anything to relieve pain at least not for me but boy can it take away your depression,it is so hard when you are feeling like you want to die and the whole world has turned into darkness but you know if you just take a handful of tramadol it all goes away,it feels like the sun has risen on you,it's relief is intense to say the least.I want to stop taking this stuff so bad,it totally rules me,I can't do anything at all without it,I can't stress enough how evil tramadol is,it is not like coming off of opiates or alcohol or anything else,if some one wanted to control peoples minds they could do it with this drug,I am a slave and want some one to help me so bad,I've gone to the doctor but he didn't do anything for me,he just said taper off of them,I've talked to addictions counselers and they don't even know what this stuff is more less the horrible effects it causes when you stop taking it,hell the company that makes it admits THEY don't even know the full effects it has on the brain!!!!,I have been admitted to the emergency room 3 times because of tramadol related episodes but still I can not get off this stuff.I guess my question is this-has anyone who has had an addiction to tramadol(taking it for depression)found another depression medicine that works like tramadol does but without the pet monkey on your back?,another thing I forgot to mention is I used to drink a lot almost everyday and also smoked pot everyday and occasionally did some coke,but when I started taking tramadol 3 years ago it all stopped and I mean within a few days,I have not drank or smoked pot in the 3 years I've been on tramadol because I don't feel that urge to do it anymore,tramadol helps in so many ways but it just cause's greater problems that are much harder to tackle,SO PLEASE ANYONE OUT THERE,IF YOU HAVE FOUND A MEDICINE FOR DEPRESSION THAT WORKS LIKE TRAMADOL PLEASE SHARE YOUR FINDINGS ON THIS FORUM,YOU WILL BE SAVING A MANS LIFE,GOD BLESS-TONY
I am sorry  you have had no responces to your post,     I am the mom of an addict  dont  have any  magic words of knowing of what you are going thru.  PLEASE  look at the top of this page and you will see "subtance abuse communtiy"    PLEASE click on that link and it will take you to the forum where people are going thru exactly what you are now  and will give you unbelievable support.  This side  is the "social" side of addiction    a brief repieive from addiction  and not so serious here.  But  I promice there are alot of folks that know exactly where you are if you post your question/comment  on the other side.

If I can help direct you to the right forum  so you dont have to deal with sillies like me :)   please let me know.

ps   I am so glad you are looking for some help  please know you are doing absolutely the best for you by quitting the nonsense.       Send me a msg  if I can help you in anyway!       My  best thoughts  to you!!
i myself have never experienced tramadol like you i was only on it once for about a week,i did experience euphoria like you described without getting high and i knew right then that that drug could become a real problem so i stopped taking it it was prescribed for pain from an infection in my foot,anyway i quit taking it it sounds like you have a heavy duty addicton going on there,and you really need to stop which i'm sure you are aware of or you wouldn't be here,as for any antidepressant the one i found that worked for me was amitriptelyne(spelling?) i have been on many antidepressants with horrible results untill i found amitriptelyne i know what debilitating depression can do to a person believe me and untill i found amitriptelyne i suffered like you but when i was put on it like within a week i was a whole different person and antidepressants usually take up to 6 weeks for any type of efect to take place i am no doctor but you asked for opinions and this is mine. as for the tramadol i really think you need to try and find a doctor who specializes in addiction recovery to help you through the withdrawal process,it can be very dangerous if not done right you may need to be hospitalized not trying to scare you just trying to help please continue to post and let us know how you are doing we are here to help and there are many on here with very good advice,good luck to you and you are in my prayers,
                                                                    snowflake
Tony,
I understad what you are going threw tramadol it's my DOC .Tramadol works like an ssri that is why you felt so much better on it.There have been many here on it that have been able to get off it you can too but its going to take a long time because you are going to have to taper slowly.I have been clean for close to 450 days .for now becuse you are so high .I would try going down one pill every three days.as you go down you are going to have to do more like one pill every 5 to 7days but this high you can go a b it quicker.Then slows as you come off them.You can do this it will just take time.
Avisg is an expert on Tramadol withdrawal any many others who have gone through the same thing.  Listen to her advice and stay strong!  Come here often for support!  You can do this!  PM me anytime if you need to talk!
I have experienced both withdrawals from each drug and agree with you that tramadol wds are scary as hell.
Thanks everyone for the responses,it's good to know there's help out here after all,I guess the only thing I can do is just do it(the taper method)tho one time a friend of mine gave me about 6 tabs of buphrenorphrine(it was sublingual)and I was able to get off the tram in a few days and the one good thing about bup is you don't want to take it anymore after a few days cause it makes you sick as hell(at least it did me)I might try to get hold of some more because tramadol is expensive,I'm spending around $800 a month on the tram,their gettin rich of me,what a racket!!!,anyway thanks everyone-tony
Tony have  you gotten off? You sound so much like me Nd i dont know what im going to do - if you still reads this i need help!
Does anyone have any tips on coming off tramadol?