Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Has anyone here tapered off Neurontin?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Has anyone here tapered off Neurontin?

I have to find a new doc, which may take some time.
In the meantime I really want to go off Neurontin but I hear so many stories.
Anybody here stopped taking it?
Thanks to all
Hi there!!
I don't know much about getting off of it.  My doctor just put me ON it.  I've been really wanting to find someone who could tell me about it.  Is there anything you can tell me about it and all that you experienced with it?
I'd appreciate any help you can give.  And stick around, I'm sure you'll get lots of answers to your questions!!
I was prescribed neurontin for nerve pain but it didn't help. I wasn't on it that long. I also took while detoxing from lortabs. I was amazed on how well it worked to ease the withdrawals. I don't really have much info on it but my doctor told me when it was prescribed that it has to be tapered. I only took it for a little over week and just stopped. I would talk to your doctor and ask him the best way to taper off of it. Best of luck.
Brian
i took it for a few months. stopped cold turkey without any problems.  don't know if that is normal, but that's how it worked for me.

Lucy
I just wanted to bring this to the top to try and get some more replies! Thanks! :)
I was on it for a couple of years for anxiety. It has several approved uses and it helped but left me emotionaly constipated feeling like a zoombie. It's not addictive but it can be tough to get off because of changes in brain chemicals. I started taking narcotics again,
(about 6 years ago) and when I went to detox they weened me quickly off of it and I can't remember much, but it was't that easy.
I took neurontin for a year and it was AMAZING for nerve pain. It also made me gain weight and soooo tired and also zombie like. When I decided to switch to Lyrica, my doctor had me do a taper off Neurontin and onto Lyrica to reduce risk of seizure.  I have a lot more energy, my butt has gotten smaller ;-) and it is just as effective for nerve pain.  You definitely want to taper off if you are going to stop though because of the seizure issue.  I hope this helps and good luck!