Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Has anyone tried Neurontin for opiate withdrawal?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I have been reading all over the net that Neurontin is great taking the edge off withdrawal.  And it isn't supposed to have an addictive side effect.  I've had a bottle for 6 months that my doctor gave me for headaches that lasted 2 weeks steady up one side of my head due to a neuralgia of a nerve in my head.  The pain finally went away but I still have the pills.  I may test it out to see if it does really help but I thought I would see if anyone here had any luck with it.  thanks
I am so sorry that your post hasn't been answered..i do not personally know about neurontin..my mother in law takes it but not for those reasons..and I haven't heard of it for w/ds..I just want to say welcome..ther is alot of wonderful people here and hopefully some that can answer your question..I do know that I would be leary of anyting touting it isn't addictive..they said the same thing about tramadol..and we now know it isn't the case...just read up on it..what are you thinking of quitting if you don't mind...
Hi there, I have been taking Percocets for 10 years and I also take tramadol on and off.  I have never had any problem with tramadol and didn't know anyone else did until I started reading this site.  When I have gotten off the Percocets, I have taken just the tramadol and it completely removes the withdrawal.  But of course, if I quit the tramadol then the withdrawal kicks right in anyway.  It is just unbelievable how we all came to this point.  I would say the majority of the people here all started with an auto accident (my case) or bad injury or illness and before we knew it we were taking a pill to just feel normal.  Like everyone else, I would like to get off all of this and am trying to find anything that isn't addicting in itself to ease the way.  I never dreamed the Neurontin might help but I have heard Valium does and they both are for nerves.  I may try it in the morning and see if I have any withdrawal symptoms.
It never helped me with withdrawl (withdrawal) and made me an emotional zoombie.
It is used for things like fibromyalgia and diabetic nueropathy - didnt do anything for me about withdrawals........sorry......and good luck to you - - -
I believe it was bmc1976 that used it quite successfully for withdrawals and for pain management.
Yes, it does, but you have to know how to use it.

Nauty........
FYI......Google neurontin & withdrawal.......I have read horror stories.  i dont know how real they are as most seem to be posted around the time of the lawsuit...lol.  I have taken it for a while and stopped with no withdrawal, although i haven't taken it but for a couple months lately.  I love it !  I won't go back to opiates, so I have no choice.

Nauty.........
Hey there honey....you don't need that to w/d from your stuff..what are you taking...Plese don't take anything else that the good ole drs tell you too..You can do this..please feel free to pm (personal messgae me) I will be happy to help...~Lisa~
i read a few posts on here awhile back saying yes, it did help them.

i just have no "first-hand experience" with that....

BUT - no matter what it takes... no matter what... do it.  and no, it's not addictive. it's not a narcotic. its a nerve drug i personally tried for some back stuff... didn't help me for THAT reason.  but again, have heard some say it helped thru w/d's..

just remember - getting off is the easy part.  staying off is where the work really begins,,, but very doable... just have some sort of aftercare plan..

and we'll be here for you whenever you need :-)

good luck, luv...
mj
Well NaughtyOne then how would you use it? I think it can be done.I read on here where someone said it helped alot.I wonder if Lyrica would do the same?Best thing to do is google neurontin for opiate withdrawals. Ruthie
Nuerontin is not used for withdrawls in my experience and i tried it and it did nothing. Try something else like benzos or clonidine. They are time tested.
I think you said it all when you said "no matter what it takes, do it to get off these pain pills".  Some people can handle cold turkey and some can't.  I have tried that and don't think I could do it again unless I have something to ease it.  I have rarely taken nerve pills and don't really like the effect so I don't think I would get addicted to Neurontin, especially since it is supposed to be non addictive.  Over the years, I have socially smoked cigarettes and never wanted one the next day, drank sometimes and would go months before I socially drank again so I've never really had an addictive personality until these Percocets got hold of me 10 years ago when I was 50 years old!  thanks to everyone for your answers to me also.
I don't feel comfortable posting dosages.  If you Google Neurontin for nerve pain, you will see what the recommended dosage is for it.  Most doctors don't prescribe that dose, and you can go from there, and figure out what dose is right for taking care of your withdrawal.  I have read posts about it, but I wont repeat it in the open forum, because I personally feel it would be irresponsible.

Nauty.............
At my first inpatient detox they prescribed neurotin for withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms. It did seem to help some...
It was just on the radio today that Neurontin and some other RLS drugs had a super high sexual diorder rate.....Like people (13 %) cannot control the urges when on this medication......Just heard it today on way home...news channel.

I took it and it only made me tired...that was 6 months ago....maybe i didnt take long enough...
I took both the clonidine for about 3 weeks and the nerontin for about 6 weeks.  They both worked for me.  Very easy to come off them too.  I am about 5 months clean and drug free.  

If you have any more questions feel free to ask me.

Army
nuerontin can take the edge off and also help with rls and pain during detox...if u r not accustomed to it it will also help u sleep...i dont mind telling u my dose...it is 300mg 23 x a day...i dont take it as a rule except at night and that is just during flare ups....it makes me sleepy for the first week or 2 then u adjust to it....i never have taken the 3 a day but many do....i have seen higher doses prescribed...it can help take the edge off and is not habit forming
I have taken it before during w/d and it does take the edge off.  It's not a magic pill but it can help.  
well, I got up this morning without a Percocet so I thought I would try the Neurontin.  I took a half one and  was shocked.  I feel absolutely normal, I'm not sleepy like I thought I would be, no shakes, no rs, nothing and I'm really not thinking about a Percocet!  Of course I'm not at the point yet that if someone came in and put one in my lap that I wouldn't take it!  lol.   I have been trying Ultram to get off the Percocets but Ultram still makes me want a Percocet and  after reading all the stuff on this site about how bad it is, I thought I would try the Neurontin.  I know it is the Neurontin making me feel normal because I have been on the Percs for 10 years and it is almost noon and if I would have not taken anything I would be going into the withdrawal thing and I still feel fine.  I have 5 refills on this stuff and I heard it is not addictive so I'm going to keep taking it.  I highly reccommend it if anyone is looking for something to take the edge off.

I don't know what mg you are talking about as far as the Neurontin goes.

I was given neurontin and clonidine to finish detoxing after a rapid detox.  Rapid detox was horrid and not the way to go, in my opinion.  

Anyway, you need to get a doctor on board for this, so you get the correct dosage and the correct way to take it.

I had a heck of a time with the neurontin.  That being said, it did help with the withdrawals, but I would not just take it with out a prescription because it can cause problems.

Also, it doesn't work for everyone.

If you are on nuerontin for very long, you are supposed to wean off of it.

Again, I think you need a doctor behind you on this.  

You have posted on an old thread.  You might want to start a new thread.

Good luck

Neurontin is suppose to be started at low doses and worked higher as well. I couldn't tolerate it though..The mornings were like the bottom of a tequila bottle hit me..Bad spinouts..Had to switch to Lyrica(which then put weight on me...20lbs in 6 weeks)..

Hard call on how much it helps....It will cause wd's if high enough amounts are taken long enough....

Maybe check the pain management forum..There are alot of folks over there experienced in this
Neurontin is helping me with Tramadol withdrawals. I have taken tramadol for several years because of my hips that were constantly in pain and no doctor would give me any pain medication. I ordered it and it has been costly. Wellbutrin which I use as well for depression, takes away most of the tramadol cravings.
I am going to start going through withdrawals from Tramadol.  I have started the withdrawals before and couldn't take it so I would go back on Tramadol. Lucky for me, my doctor did put me on Wellbutrin and Neurontin. Wellbutrin helps with the drug cravings and Neurontin helps with withdrawals for me.  I take those meds for depression and anxiety too. Neurontin helps me get to sleep and stay asleep longer. I can wake up to go to the bathroom but can go right back to sleep. I couldn't befpre I started on this medication. I have gotten very restless leg syndrome trying to go off Tramadol in the past, but Neurontin also helps with restless leg syndrome and insomnia which is a common withdrawal symptom from Tramadol.  Tramadol is much like other opiates because it binds to the opiod receptors in the brain. I have taken Clonidine, but took that for high blood pressure. I wonder if people are talking about Clonazepam which is sometimes called Clonipin. Hope anything I wrote helps.
I posted a double entry because when I posted the first one I hadn't joined yet and didn't know if it would be posted. oops sorry
hey hun. everyone is talking about Clonidine. when i went into rehab the last time they put me on that for the "crawling outa my skin" feeling. its amazing stuff. and if your going thru dt's and you go to the er and tell them ur visiting and you ran out they will give it to you....thats the best part. now as for the nurontin...i think it is beautiful stuff it works wonders when taken with the clonidine and clonapin....i've gone thru withdrawl (withdrawal) alot from alot of dif. meds methadone included and everytime i stick to these three things without them i would die.
The reason you are taking so much is not because of the amount of methadone you were doing, but because the more you take, the less your body uses. You should stop taking so much and read up on the medication before taking 50(!) pills!

Source:http://crazymeds.us/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Meds.Neurontin
I am new to this forum, but not new to addiction. I was addicted to norco & percs for 4 years. 250-300mg a day. It was easy as the first pain management Doc I saw about my joint issues was basically a licensed drug dealer. He let me call in my script + my boyfriends. My other docs were idiots!!!!! I am a not  ugly female, with an innocent face (and had MRI's to prove I was in pain). I easily had 3 scripts a month=300 pills.  I admitted myself into a medical detox center in December. Spent Christmas crawling outta my skin and admitting to all my loved ones I was an addict. I had tried to taper forever, and at time was not strong enough. I kinda think I would of been better off detoxing at home, and here is why. My insurance would only cover 5 days of detox. They had me on a big medical cocktail of benzo's, etc and then released me into the world with nothing!!!!!! W/D's at home almost killed me.  I am rambling but have a point. In March had shoulder surgery. My Doc's knew I had addiction problems so put me on Tramadol. Told me they may be habit forming, but NOT physically addictive. As we all know that is bull@#%$.  Did'nt even like them, but when stopped, the withdrawals started bad. I've been on a tapering schedule. Got down to 20mg (which is like, a mouse's dose) a day and yet seriously thought about going to emergency room, it hurt so bad. In desperation I took some of the Lyrica I've had in a drawer for a year. My Anxiety and Physical discomfort was immediately  decreased by atleast half. However, my joints seem to hurt more. Limping badly. But I've learned my lesson about masking pain. Dealing with my body pain is an easy choice compared to withdrawals. Lyrica seems to have given my body and mind a momentary break from w/d's and let me rest, just when I was about to give up. Remounting my energy and determination. Reading all your posts for the last four days has really helped. Thank you all.
No they are talking about Clonodine. It is used to help withdrawal. The drop of the blood pressure helps with the anxiety and cravings. I went on suboxone treatment and was prescribed Clonidine as well. There is something called Klonipin (klonopin) as well but it is a complete different drug.
I have had to battle my own demons, due to a car wreck and yes it can he use to detox. I have done it. Not only that I have read on the net that rehabs use it for people detoxing from alcoholism AND heroin, which opiates are basically a synthetic heroin. So yes it can help, and its quite the life saver. I don't know what I would of done without them. I know your post is old but most habits last a long time, even if its on and off. I know your struggles, I was there for 8 years. Good luck n god bless
Do you have experience with neurotin
Ive managed drug free other than my methadone n reduced off it to practically nothing n awaiting a detox plan now for last bit. Best thing ive done is kept it real to myself. Gone NA, kept asking for help, followed medical advice not just done it myself. Best thing ive ever done in my life. Na is online too u know. Drugs no longer worked for me, the life long lie was over for me, I felt desperate like I couldnt bear to live with drugs or without them.
I played Russian roulette with my life for years n altho it's been hard un parts my worst day in recovery is not as hard as my best day using drugs. Open to questions
Hey Shugalug & lollipop1980, you're responding on a really old thread. When you see the hour glass - you've got to check the date (which you should do anyway to see what's already been said and what's going on w/ the poster.) If you want to ask a question or talk about something, just go to the top of the forum page and hit the orange 'post a question' button.
Hi and welcome! This is a really old thread. If you go back out to the main page there is a link that says 'post a question' at the top of the page. If you post this as a new thread people will be more likely to see it  and give you support. Good luck to you!
Thanks so much
You are very welcome. I just don't want your post to get overlooked. There are a lot of people on here who can help.
Hi everyone -

Please be very cautious in recommending and/or taking other drugs for withdrawals. Some are addictive, others can have serious side effects, and all should be taken only under the care of a doctor.

Obviously, we know that detoxing from certain substances is dangerous, and should be done under medical care, but please do not take anything that you aren't directed to take by your doctor.

This thread is now closed.

Emily

********** CLOSED THREAD ************
                                 NO MORE POSTS, PLEASE