Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Help for a chronic runny nose from cocaine use

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Like an idiot, my friend has been doing coke and now has a chronically runny nose, mainly when he is very active or when he is eating.  He won't go to the doctor, and I know that decongestants aren't good for long term, even though he is taking one that may help a little.  Any advice on what he can do to self-medicate until I can get him to go to the doctor?  What are the chances that his nose and sinuses will heal on their own?
Tags: cocaine, sinuses, runny nose, help
If he stops the cocaine it will but that then only way it going to happen
You want to get him to a dr cause he has a runny nose??? Like avis said if he stops the coke it will heal unless he has been doing it awhile and making a permanent hole in his nose, then it will not. I did coke for 5 years and having a runny nose is absolutely nothing and the LEAST of his worries. The damage coke does to the heart, nervous system and brain can be lethal and that is what i would be worrying about, not a little runny nose or hole through it. I hope you talk to him about quitting before it's too late and the damage can't be reversed. How long has he been using?
How often did you do the coke and how much?  I'm afraid he's been doing a lot - he said that he has been doing it for about 2 years, and someone told me that he goes through about an 8 ball (3 grams, i think) per week, doing it once or twice a week. Of course I talk to him about quitting - he says that he has quit, now.  But I wonder if it will be a hard battle for him with the amount and frequency that he has been using.  Was it tough for you?  Did you have to go to rehab?  
I went in spurts, but the last 2 years i used almost everyday. i did about 4 eightballs a week or so (3.5 grams an 8ball). The problem with coke is as you keep doing it you need more and more. If he has been using 2 years it will be very difficult to stop. An 8 ball a week does not seem like that much in coke standards, but the mental battle and chance for relapse is almost certain without help. It was very tough for me, by tough i mean impossible, I could not quit. A near death experience saved me and then finding this forum for support. I told everyone i had quit, but kept using. I was always so ashamed. Would he be willing to pop in here, i would be happy to talk?
He is so hard headed, he would think that I was crazy if he knew that I'm on here - he wouldn't talk.  Right now all I can do is just tell him about all of the risks, and if he doesn't quit I'm going to get agressive and tell his sister and threaten to out him to the rest of his family.  I'll have an intervention if I have to.  I'm not going to let him do this to himself.  What kind of problems did it cause for you?  I'm so glad you survived...That must've been scary.  I'll tell him about it.  He is worried about the damage to his nose and sinuses right now, so that is why I posted this - did you have permanent holes in yours?
You are a great friend. It's true that we usually won't quit till we are ready, but sometimes you can speed up the process. talking to him and letting him know you are there to help is a good start. If you really believe he is still using then an intervention could always work.

Im not gonna list all the problems this drug caused me, way too many,  but it stole my life and im lucky to be clean today. Yes i have a hole in my nose, it's not noticeable, but that part never heals. As far as the rest of me goes, i feel like after a year i am starting to feel like the old me again, but it really messes you up for awhile
yes i agree it is a harmful addiction but I think we're missing the point. The question is what can one do to help with the runny nose? To stop doing lines is probably the first and most obvious solution. What else is there? Decongestants? Some home remedy? Why not try and address the minor side effects, too? Sigh. I realize I may get some pretty nasty retaliation comments... your friend will most likely need help from a better source for their addiction than a few strangers on the internet.