Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Help for getting off of Norco

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Help for getting off of Norco

I have been lying to my whole family for over a year and I have been taking Norco. I don' take a lot but I need to get off of it. I usually take 1-2 pills per day. I consider it too much but from what I have read on the internet, that's not really that much. I want to do this on my own, without any professional help. Can anyone tell me what symptoms I may experience and how long they may last? I know every situation is different so I am just looking for an estimate. I really don't want to let everyone know that I've been lying to them about it. HELP!!
Hi Jen,  Glad your doing this now as it only gets worse. Your hard days will usually be about 5 days. Your going to feel fluish, runny nose, sneezing,yawning, coughing, heavy chest, jittery, sore and heavy limbs, chills, sweats....just kinda crummy. You may get off easy as your not on a high dose. Look up the Thomas recipe and get a good protien shake. Being hydrated and well norished will do wonders for you. Don't overthink the whole process. Stay as busy as you can and keep posting here for support. I do had to detox in private and while it was not ideal, it is doable. Much support to you.
Thank you so much. I will keep posting for sure.
Are you taking norco to break your addiction or are you currently addicted to norco?
Norco is my addiction. I would rather not take anything else. I plan on submersing myself in exercise and keeping busy, when I can. I have 3 children. I really do not want to take any pills anymore. I have health problems....high blood pressure and heart valve problems.
Forgot to mention....uuuhh, you'll have bathroom issues for a few days or so. Get some immodium and stay away from gas producing foods like green leafy stuff for the first couple days. Eat lean protien and comfort foods. Much Luck!
Good to know! Thanks!
You are on a vey low dosage. Most likely you are going to go through the mildest forms of withdrawal symptoms. Since you have stated you already have a few health problems, I was wondering if you have a family support system in place. A little time off from the stress of your duties as mother may not only help you with detoxing but can help ease the symptoms of your other health problems.  
That is a very good point. I may sit my husband down tonight and talk to him about it. Thanks!
Good luck to you, Jennifer.   I am glad you are taking steps to quit before this becomes a much worse problem, and unchecked, it will.   If you have any problems at all, post and someone will help you.   Your symptoms shouldn't be all that bad....again, you are very smart to take care of this at an early stage.
So happy you made this decision before it escalated. Many, like myself, just did 1 or 2 a day... and then find ourselves in quite a pickle. Post your symptoms when you get them... we all have great suggestions for you! Proud of you!  Andy
Wow great job in admitting you have a problem! I wish I had quit when I was at 1-2 per day. Instead I'm on day 3 of jumping from 5-8 percocet 10s per day. Honestly you're taking much less than me and it's really not toooo bad. Yesterday was the worst for me. I actually made it to work on Day 1 and plugged through. Day 2 I lost my appetite and had to stock up on the Ensure, saltine crackers, bananas, Immodium , and Powerade. Even though I felt bad I still went for a coupld of small walks and cooked dinner and was in bed by 7:30pm. Just don't try to overdo it and you'll be surprised that it's not as bad as you psyche yourself up for! I find myself praying all the time and blaring Christian music in my car when driving. It helps me so much so find something else to cling to besides a pill. I'm with you, it's time to stop letting them control your life and everything you do. Eventually you'll get to a point where you won't be able to even wake up without a pill waiting for you on your nightstand. Don't go there and jump now. We're all in this together and you can do it! You're ready! Do it lady:)!
I stumbled upon this site today and I have to tell you guys that I am very very grateful for the support. I am achy but I usually get a cold around this time of year so it probably isn't the pills. I have not had one today. It is 5 pm here. Thank you all. ♥
Hi Jennifer! You must be on the West side of the country, like me! I just wanted to add my welcome and support! You have been given great advice! I was also a secret detoxer, and while it is always better if you've got some support at home, you can do this! One thing I wanted to mention is that you need to make sure that you cut your source for the pills. Whether it be from a doctor or any other source! I know that for me, when things got rough it would have been easy to relapse if I had any access to my beloved pills! Congrats on the decision to quit before it got way out of control! I wish I had done that! Your detox should not be all that bad! It is flu season, you know!

I wish you all the best! Be sure to post anytime you have questions or need some support! Take care! We are here for you!
I am from the west coast. I'm from Lake Havasu City, Az. :-)
Hey! Not far, I am in Vegas! So happy the summer is over! Cooler weather!
Definitely! I love Vegas!
Hi Jennifer! I just wanted to welcome you as well to the forum and as you can already see there are alot of people ready and happily willing to help! Youve made a great choice to do this before it becomes a big problem!

Take vitamins, Eat when you can, take hot baths for the "crawling skin" and keep yourself busy to help with the fatigue and mental stuff. (hopefully your symptoms will be mild though) Keep us updated on how its going! :)
Gonna say it, EXTREMELY jealous you live in Vegas! Bitter, party of one right here! lol
Hi Jennifer! How are you feeling today? Day 2 was the worst for me, but still not tooo bad. Try to get up and take a hot shower and move around...go for a walk, it works miracles (even though it sounds like the worst idea ever..haha)! You're doing great! Oh and go get some Ensure and take the vitamins in the Thomas Recipe. It works! Keep posting!