Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Heroin Addiction and Reactions

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Heroin Addiction and Reactions

My husband who has been a Heroin Addict for most of his adult life, has tried everything under the sun. Methadone, suboxone, and others as well as anti-depressants to get off this ****. I don't understand his behavior I guess. He questions me constantly about my medical issues that are not drug related and some other personal issues. Now I am a liar over everything related to our marriage. Bills, etc. He is not taking any prescribed meds to help him deal with his issues. Although he has taken my paxil to help ease the depression, which I believe is wrong. He refuse's to go to the doctor, however I did take him to a physc doctor who prescribed 10 tabs of suboxone, although he doesn't want to pay out an additonal 750.00 dollars for further treatment. Why? Suboxone works far better than any other medications to get him off of Heroin. He is now using oxycotin that he gets from a " friend", he has no veins left, and i constantly worry that one day I will awake to find him dead next to me. Is it common for Heroin addicts to place blame on their own faults on others? I am almost ready to walk. Someone please give me some answers. Thanks. Susie
Tags: Addiction
My best friend did heroin for quite some time. She started with pills and worked her way up. My honest opinion, and although it's probably what you want to hear,is turn him in for an inhouse detox. What he will go through in w/d's will most likely kill him. I apologize for being so brash or making it sound as if you have no other options, but if he is refusing suboxone, he has no other choice. You can find clinics that specialize in heroin detox, they will make him go down there for methadone everyday, but that is addicting also and I feel that may just become his substitute. If he is strong enough AND HE wants out, he can stop H and move down to oxy, then gradually work down to some of the lesser opiates, but in my experince with my best friend, that just prolonged the inevitable. I'm am very sorry to hear about your situation and I will pray for you. With my BF, we did just call and had her taken in against her will. She HATED all of us but after she got out, our friendship was actually stronger than before! Heroin IS NOT something you can just go cold turkey from, especially with long term use. It is very deadly to just stop. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help- These are the stories that make me want to share and help because I've been there and have seen the torture they go through. It isn't the same as vicodin or even oxycontin w/d's. Heroin has it's own rules and can take the best of us. I did it for a couple of months but not daily nor did I need more than a few percocet to get me out. My BF was doing 4x's that daily. she has a MUCH better attitude towards it and is honestly AFRAID of it now that all is said and done. Most are after they go threw an inhouse program. Not all, but MOST!! Hugs and Kisses and keep coming back!
i would say that yes addicts blame others for their behaviors. we commonly play the blame game. its the addiction telling us what to do. you have every right to be worried, he is killing himself. maybe an intervention of some sort is in order. tough love does work. make him accountable for his actions. tell him you will no longer support what he does. coming here was a good step there are alot of good people who can offer suggestions for your situation.
I actually meant it was probably NOT what you wanted to hear! I apologize! My mind was racing and I wanted to say so much and I guess I forgot some words!!