How Do I Get Off Tramadol?
So I was prescribed Vicoden about 2 and a half years ago for an unknown pain in my shoulder. I ended up taking it for 2 years straight, everyday. At first it was 1 or half of a 750mg at night, then it was a whole 500mg for awhile depending on my pain maybe a little more. Then it started to loose it's affect after taking it so long so I started taking more until I was finally having to take 2 750mg just to feel even the slightest thing. I tried stopping many times because I realized 98% of the time I was only taking it cuz it was what I was use to doing and the withdrawls were awful. Then about 6 months ago I got very sick and had to take more pain killers. My doctor also prescribed me Tramadol cuz she thought it'd be better then taking Vicoden all the time. Well needless to say once I found out how amazing the Tramadol made me feel, I was hooked. I stopped taking Vicoden completely and was solely taking the Tramadol, plus I learned quickly not to mix them! I didn't realize how intense the Tramadol was going to be so thinking I needed to take more to make me feel anything I started off by taking 4. I realize now how much that is cuz when my sister takes just one she's good to go. I had surgery so I had to take more, but after I was all healed I had no reason to take them anymore. Then I realized that they cured my Insomnia. If I took a few a few hours before I wanted to go to bed i'd be able to lay down and go to bed with no problem. So even though I don't have pain 98% of the time, I still feel I need to take them or else I can't sleep. And that's true cuz when I don't take them I'm up all night and the next day and I just feel awful. I just can't picture my life without taking them and I know that's pathetic. It more phycological then physical. When I don't have them there all I think about and I get moody and cranky and can't sleep and I feel depressed and tired all the time. Well I ran out of Tramadol Monday and I've decided enough is enough. I need to end this madeness once and for all. I took 1 750mg Vicoden Monday to help me be able to sleep and help the withdrawl part but it didn't do much help cuz I didn't end up falling asleep til about 8am the next morning. Then all day Tuesday I felt awful and cranky and moody. So Tuesday night I felt tired and alright so I went home and took one and a half Vicoden, 750mg, to help me sleep but again I was up all night and I tried sleeping but I just couldn't. So here I am now writing this to you and begging someone to please help me! I'm so miserable! I don't want my life to be controlled by a tiny little pill anymore! It's making me have no life. So please. Any advice you can give me on what to do or how to go about this is greatly appriciated. I have 2 Tramadol left and can't get more for 6 days. That's if I ain't over them by then. Thanks for reading this and everything helps. :)
Hi-   Withdrawal from Tramadol is pretty tough and many taper off instead of stopping abruptly. You don't have enough to taper so maybe you could use the Vicodin 7.5 mg to taper with? It's only a suggestion. The correct thing to do is contact the prescribing doctor, explain what's happened, and get some help with this. It's a common problem and getting off the pills is doable!

How many Tramadol do you take per day? There is an antidepressant component to the Tramadol which makes it more difficult to cold turkey from. I'd call the doctor for a taper schedule.  Good luck!
I normally take 4 50mg at night. I thought about calling my doctor but I'm scared she'd quit giving them to me all together and then I'd be forced to quit cold turkey and the thought of not having them anymore scares me at the moment haha. I have tried tapering down a few times but everytime I start I end up taking 4 again in no time. I've been trying to use the Vicoden to help with everything but I'd hate to get hooked back on them again. Plus I have to take about 2 and a half or 3 for them to do anything. :/
Well, you're stuck until you make a decision here...

It's apparent, by what you've described, that you're addicted to the pills. It's becoming all encompassing so you need to stop. Yes, the doctor may cancel your rx. She may help you as well. You need to decide what you want to do.
You sure can't go on like this...
I know. That's the hardest part is knowning I need help but being scared at the same time. But I just gotta do it for me and my loved ones.
So she cancels your script?  Isn't that what NEEDS to happen?  If you know that you need to quit, and you know you need help with it then why does talking to her scare you so badly?  You'd get the help you need PLUS she wouldn't be prescribing it anymore.  I tried stopping without saying anything to my doc, and then I'd start feeling so rough that I would give in and call him and for whatever reason he would just call in more, because he didn't know!!!!  Vicious circle, see?

You're close here!!!  Just gotta make the right decision! : )
Kayla, I think many of us here can relate to the "afraid to be without them."   I would have a panic attack if I didn't have some with me, if I was going to be gone from home for a few hours.   I had to take them everywhere I went...whether I ended up taking one or not.   I seriously did try to not take one until I felt I "had" to.  

Vicki and LeaAnn are right....you need to make a decision.  You know in your heart what needs to be done.   Good luck in doing that.
I understand 100 %!!! I was using Tramadol but started using Vicodin and got hooked on that. I have been on it for 3-4 years I just found out I pregnant! I have told myself the same thing you posted (I don’t want to be controlled by a pill) I can’t understand how or why I would do this to myself? I am afraid to tell my husband and family how bad it is.  I want to quit so bad, but I feel like I am dying without it. I am so ashamed and embarrassed knowing that I am harming my unborn baby and that I have this addiction, oh God I am so ashamed. I have been hiding the fact that I am still taking the pain pills from everyone, since finding out I am pregnant. My husband thinks I have quit but I am afraid to tell him that I am addicted and will have W/D without it. I know you can quit we can all do it even if it is hard, we have too. I would say to cut down plan it out how many a day and cut it down after a few days keep doing this till you are taking NONE. You can do it.      
I know what you are all saying.  I started recreationally.  I have a high stress job, and it kept me moving.  I also have two children, aged 10 and under. I spend a lot of time with them, we have fun together.  I'm not even getting high off of them anymore, I just use them to feel "Ok".  I often long for the days before I ever took one.  My husband takes them too.  We used to smoke a little weed and drink a little beer, and that was it.  Now, I am hooked on these damn Percocets.  I'm trying to admit to myself that I have a problem (which has not been too hard to do in the past month or so).  What makes it worse is that everyone I know takes them recreationally.  I used to turn my nose up at them, but now I can't feel ok unless I know there are enough of them there to get me through the next few days.   I have way too many people around me who are calling me trying to sell them to me, and I have the money to  buy them.  This is the first time I've admitted I have a problem (except to my husband).  Maybe this is my first step?  I don't know, I just know that I had been blaming that nervous stomach feeling on my high stress job, but recently I'm coming to realize that it's probably more than that.
Check out the blogs from an Emily Post in the medhelp archives - - lots of good information and other peoples input on their struggles with tramadol...just toss her name in the search - - and read....
hi i have the same problem i was given tramadol for gall stone pain i started with 2 lots of 50mg and ended up taking 6-8 lots a night one day i didnt have any i was a mess my hubby foned the surgery and my doctor saw me that same day he put me on a longer working tramadol of 1 lot of 100mg a day which i did then after a few weeks i went down to 1 lot of 50mg a day im still on that at the mo but the next lot will be splitting the 50mg ones in half and then finally off them i hope but i must admit i tryed not taking any today and cant sleep my nerves feel as tho they are all on edge im gonna try some herbal tablets to try and help me sleep tomorrow i just hope they work x good luck i hope u get there x
just wanna point out something.With vics most people dnt fall asleep they usually wake them up thats probably why ur staying awake when u tale them at night.U can easily taper w/those and be done with the trams.Just take the vics during the day.I have to b honest though i dnt seem to want to quit.sounds like u just dnt want withdrawl til u can get more trams.u need to make a decision.good luck
Hi I am currently 21 days sober and happy! MY drug of choice was tramadol. I was taking up to 20, 50mg tabs everyday sometimes more. I was also switching around from loritab to oxycodone. I will tell you right now coming off of loritab was much easier then tramadol. I was almost clean off of everything and then I relapsed and started taking a ton of tramadol and it became worse and worse. I can't imagine what you feel at only 4 but can you imagine what you would feel coming off 20? Trust me it is not gonna get any easier. I agree with Overopiates not to be rude but I dont think you are ready to quit I think you are afraid to not have your tram so you face withdraw. Time to decide your life or purgatory via Tramadol... Carelessly going on walks and enjoying your personal freedom vs stressing over pills, everything pills, how many pills, do I have enough pills, stressing over tapering and not having any pills, stressing over telling your doc but then you may not have any more pills.

Its a vicious cycle that never stops! Time to make a decision and become healthy and save your life!  
I know exactly what you¨re going through.  I've been off Tramadol for 2 weeks now after about 4 years of off and on usage (mostly on).  I initially took the drug to combat a knee injury but found out very quickly how awesome those little tablets made me feel.  No anxiety, no stress, no depression and my interactions with people were now so effortless that it got me thinking that every one in showbiz must be on this drug... Tramadol must be the secret.  But as with all other drugs that make you feel like a million bucks, the withdrawal is TOTAL HELL.  It takes about 4 days to kick any other opiate, but this cute little compound has a 7 to 10 day withdrawal period.  A good thing to know also is that it is completely dependent on your biochemistry at that given time, how severe your withdrawal will be.  I decided to stop cold turkey in August and only went through about 2 days of mild sweating and lethargy.  But then 2 weeks ago when I decided that enough was enough, I wen¨t through the worst period of my life.  I felt so depressed that I wanted to cry all day long.  Impending doom feelings so intense that I felt like the world was coming to an end, and I couldn't function for about 7 days.  Now with 2 weeks off, I feel great.  Feelings of excitement and interest in life that I had forgotten all about... and I love these feelings.  Sad to think that I killed them all with Tramadol.  I will never take this drug again.  It is an opioid with SNRI properties.  This means that when you try to come off, it¨s like kicking morphine, Klonopin and anti depressants, all at the same time.  Just stay clear of this drug and life will be beautiful :)
I was taking 3 x 200mg  tramadol a day for 2 months. I went cold turkey and let me tell you it was not fun. I had servere RLS for a week. I knew this was from the tramadol and put up with it. Just go cold turkey and sweat it out.