Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
How can I help my husband through detox?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site but could really use everyone's input please. My husband recently came to me and told me that he has a drug problem with Hydrocodone and Roxycodone. He said he'd been taking 3-5 a day depending on what he had available that day, he'd take less of the Roxycodone than he would the Hydrocodone. He's been off of them for 4 days now and I'm so proud of him! But I know we're not out of the woods yet. He's going through feeling cold and today he started having the runs but no vomitting. What can I do, as his wife, to help him through the physical symptoms and psychological symptoms?

I'm biting my tongue and holding back all the frustration, anger, guilt and fear that I have so I hope nobody minds if I vent here every now and then.

I can't imagine what some of you are having to deal with, stay strong!

Sorry about the repeated posts! Ugh I'm on dial up and kept getting error messages and didn't know any of them ever posted! Mods please delete or tell me how to delete
The mod will take care of it lol!

Terry
My best advice is just bare w/ him. When i got clean from pain pills my wife was my stone and i know at time i was an butt head. My mood swings were crazy,i could`nt sleep and OUR whole routine changed. In my case atleast what your seeing on the out side times it by 10 and thats how it feels on the inside.
He sounds like he`s on the rite track and just try to be there for him, it can be hard but it is totally worth it. If you need anything  PM         Brad
hi and welcome to the forum...its great you are biting your tongue and helpin your hubby.  get some immodium for the tummy issues..it helps alot.  but remember for most the detox is the easy part...in order to stay clean it takes work and after care is a vital part of that work...these drugs take a huge emotional and physical toll on us...we have to learn to relive drug free...for most of us thats not easy...the w/ds will be over in a week or so, then comes the battle...your hubby can do this...especially with your help!!!
Thank you all! I've talked to him today and I've told that I really want to help him but I just don't know what to do. It's hard sitting back and watching him go through this :( I wish I could take away all that he's going through.
You sound a great deal like my wife....I really dont deserve her - but I thank God that she stuck with me ..... surely could have been easier on her - - like Cathy said ... immodium for the runs...emetrol for vomiting if needed ... warm flat 7-UP / broths / comfort foods - - watch for dehydration from runs .... gator ade / banana's = stuff like that.   Hot pad, electric blanket for muscle cramping or RLS / Hylands Restful Legs - - - Benadryl (diphenhydramine) or melatonin for sleep ....Lots of warm/hot showers or baths.......  Keep posting if you have any questions and for support - - - And congratulations - it may be some effort but you will benefit also -----------  good luck!!
Aww thank you! Truth be told, I'm no angel. I just want to help him.

I'll make sure I have plenty of everything you've listed, thank you so much. I didn't even know about the muscle cramps! Thank 10,000x for the suggestions!
Well when I was at my worst in detox I told my wife to just shoot me, and she went and got the gun GOOSH SHE LOVES ME!! LOL be there for him dont be judgemental that would have killed me if my wife had done that, I know you dont understand how addiction can overtake someone that bad but it can. When I was young I had a drug problem I hadnt even drank in almost 24 years then I was injured at work the Dr gave me loratb 10s and soma 350s the frist dose I took I thought I forgot how this feels. Then I went thur 4 years of addiction when I finaly got help I was taken massive amounts of oxy percs soma kolonipin and drinking. Addiction is alife long illness if your husband had cancer what would you do how would you treat him, you wouldnt judge him for getting cancer, treat him and help him thur this just like anyother illness. Do reasearch find out all you can knowledge is power become powerful for him OK