Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
How can I help???

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

How can I help???

A very close friend of mine is finally trying to get off Oxy.  He lost all of his good friends when he started using, and doesn't have too many now.  He's trying to stay away from it all, what can I do to help him??  I know that he is ashamed of doing it, but I really want to talk to him about it all.  I want to know what he is going thru, but I don't want to smother him.  He's seeing a counselor, and is on methadone, which as I understand isn't that much better than oxy.  I'm lost!!!  WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP HIM??????  PLEASE HELP!!!  THANK YOU!!!  God Bless Everyone who is trying to fight this demon!!
First of all being his friend is a fantastic start because you honestly seem to care.  I have no experience with methadone but there are several people here that do.  You are in the right place to get some answers.  I wish I could offer some advice but just wanted to let you know that as an addict, it is important to know that someone cares for you because you usually don't do a very good job of doing that for yourself.  Good luck hon!!!!

Marj
Well sounds like your friend wants to get out of this. A good friend could really help. First you need to understand why it is so hard to just stop. The withdrawl (withdrawal) is hell! The most horrible feeling that i know of. Not only physical but you don't feel normal, like yourself and it can be hard to be around other people interacting. Your feelings and emotions are like void. So i guess i am saying don't take attitudes personal.

Wish your friend the best!
its so awesome that ur being such a good friend. why dont u give him this site and tell him we would love to hear from him. also tell him that by posting he may be able to help others which i'm sure would give him a great boost. Even if u print of our responses and show it to him just so he can get a feel of what we're all about. throughout my entire oxy addcition this site has been an absolute god send.
i dont think your friend has lost all his good friends, he  has you! and for the others, they'll be back as he gets better, and if they dont return they werent good friends. something you can do i attend a meeting or two with him, either a/a or n/a.that might be nice to do.