How can I withdraw from Methadone ?
I was sniffing heroin for 7 monhts and tried for 3 months to quit. I went to a detox doctor and got clonidine,some muscle relaxers and shots of buprenorphine. He said it did not come in a pill so I had to do the shots. I got the stuff and took it home but I was too terrified to take the shots.My fiance offered to inject me and I let her give me one of the 3 shots because I was so sick from the withdrawl. I went into a panic and have not been able to face another one. This is hard to explain but I have not had any medical work done in years that requires a needle. I guess it's a phobia. So I have these 2 shots left from January. I was able to get methadone under the table from my heroin supplier and have been on it for 2 weeks now and want to get off it really fast. It has helped me with the heroin which I had been on a small maintenance dose for a month. Since supply and cash were no problem maybe I should have just stayed on the heroin. Why don't they use morphine or just less and less heroin to detox from the heroin? I am having a hard time getting off this stuff. The cravings are really bad. Is there a way to stop them? This is the only reason I kept relapsing from the heroin. Will Naltrexone stop cravings? I wouldn't take that pellet from the doctor because if it doesn't stop the craving I'm afraid I might use and od. He didn't have an answer for this and said maybe I shouldn't get it afterall. I appreciate your help.
I have never heard of methadone being fatal during a detox. I do not know why anyone would want to cold turkey from methadone. Like all opiates the abrupt withdrawal is very uncomfortable. I wish I had some time to share Dr. Dole and wifes research. With all due respect I cannot remeber his wifes name. Dr. Dole and wife founded methadone maintenance. Brighty and all. THere is a interview with Dr. Dole on line. It addresses a lot of worthwhile information on MMT. No myths and untruths in this interview.
Dan...
Thank you very much !!! I got lots of my questions answeed in your posts and will look for the online with the Doles. Peace be with you also. Love, Brighty
Schedule ONE? Methadone? Wouldn't it HAVE to be schedule II? As far as I know - schedule I is reserved for drugs that have "no known medicinal value" or street drugs. Methamphetamine, Heroin, LSD, Pot, etc. I find it hard to believe that the DEA or the FDA would classify methadone in the same class as these other drugs...maybe you meant II. Just curious I guess, are you sure it's I?
Hi all

Good to hear from you Gina!!  I was put on 80mg today and we will see how that goes.  Gina, you are so right, I started (I think) at 55mg, and went up a few times,it did last about two weeks, then I would start using again.  I learned years ago, being a member of NA since 1984 that there is no shame in using, the only shame is not to keep trying.  Thats what I am doing. It is also true there are a lot if misconseptions about methadone.  Number one is that people take it in clinical settings to get high.  The truth is, methadone used as prescribed WILL NOT get an addict loaded.  I know this, because I am on 80mg and feel normal.  Someone asked about detox verus MMT.  Detox is a 21 day treatment starting at 30mg,going up to (I believe 40mg) then weining off.  Also the way people get methadone on the streets is A. an addict who has been on MMT a long time may sell his or her methadone. B. it is available in Pharmacies, as doctors do give it for SEVERE
Believe me...I can relate to trying to find a way to get high on methadone. That's what I thought too. I was taking up to 40 vicoprofen a day. Never tried heroin but only because it didn't come my way, thank God! The great thing about methadone is that it gives you a feeling of well-being thus not needing to get high. Don't get me wrong, the thought of getting high does pass through my mind on occassion but not 24/7 like it used to. I feel normal and it is truly unbelievable that there are no cravings. I would like to stay on it forever, but people who need to do that are the 30 year heroin users who can't live (productively) without it. I don't have take homes but will be starting the long acting meth., so I have to go only 3 days a week instead of 7. I wonder when I wean off comfortably if I will feel depressed? Oh well,  I am just enjoying a normal life now.
All I know when used properly MMT works. So much misinformation. I do not have time to address every issue people are bringing up! Like every controlled drug methadone will be  abused. Methadone is the most tightly controlled drug. A schedule one narcotic. But if people want it there will always be someone that will sacrifice there dose for money.  All I know is it worked for me because I wanted off the merry go round. If people go on methadone and seriously do not want to stop their drug abuse, it proably will not work for them. It's simply a tool to help you beat this disease. Methadone, in my perspective IS NOTHING like propoxyphene. Methadone high is only noticeable at the begining of treatment. The high moves way to a feeling of normalcy after you have been on a therapeutic(adequate dose) for a while. You have a feeling of well being. Not a high. Just a feeling of being normal again. Away from the highs and very lows of opiate addiction.                                                                                                                         Methadone rarely works for the short term. W/out the use of a intensive inpatient residential program. Methadone can be detected in the blood Brighty without tracers. It will stay in the blood long enough for the liver to remove metabolites and that is all. Every person has a different therapeutic dose.(adequate dose) This is a dose that removes all cravings and withdrawals. Methadone is not a replacement drug when used properly. When used properly, it is a medicine that repairs a brain defiency. I have to go. If I didn't answer all questions I apologise but my work calls. My peace I Give You, My Peace I Leave You! Dan...
Hi all

Good to hear from you Gina!!  I was put on 80mg today and we will see how that goes.  Gina, you are so right, I started (I think) at 55mg, and went up a few times,it did last about two weeks, then I would start using again.  I learned years ago, being a member of NA since 1984 that there is no shame in using, the only shame is not to keep trying.  Thats what I am doing. It is also true there are a lot if misconseptions about methadone.  Number one is that people take it in clinical settings to get high.  The truth is, methadone used as prescribed WILL NOT get an addict loaded.  I know this, because I am on 80mg and feel normal.  Someone asked about detox verus MMT.  Detox is a 21 day treatment starting at 30mg,going up to (I believe 40mg) then weining off.  Also the way people get methadone on the streets is A. an addict who has been on MMT a long time may sell his or her methadone. B. it is available in Pharmacies, as doctors do give it for SEVERE PAIN. One last thing is a person on MMT after being on it for a certain time, can in fact (at least where I go) have take homes of methadone, ranging from one bottle to six.  You must be free of all opiates and it is a privaledge, not a right to have take homes.  The most important thing about MMT is, it has saved my ass.  Even though I admit I have used, I am on the right track, and one day, I will be opiate free due to MMT.  I know at my age (46) I will probably be a lifer, but if it saves me, and allows me to stay clean,work a program of NA and get a job, and being a productive member of society once again, thats all I care about.  Dont anyone allow the myths of methadone stop you from saving your life, one thing I forgot to mention.  Though opiate withdrawl being fatal is extremly rare, one of my best friends decided to stop cold turkey, and had a major heart attack.  It can happen.  Thank God he is still with us, but he did almost die, and is now back on his dose and doing fine.

Love and hugs too all

Patrice
Sorry that was a typo. I mean't CII. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
                                                                  Gina> Why would you want to get off a medicine that has made such a dramatic change in your life and productivity. Methadone is known by pharmacologist to be an excellent antidepressant. If it is working for you why change it. This about your existance no one elses. When and if you decide to get off methadone it has to be your decision. No one can influence this decision. Because it will rarely work. MMT is not only for 30 year heroin addicts. It is for anyone with a chronic relapse disorder due to opiate abuse. I have no personal xperience with the switch, methadone to LAAM. I know that you must have a history of no heart problems to use LAAM. Some people develop a heart malfunction due to LAAM. It has to do with particular heart problems certain people are born with. Maybe you should have your heart checked or speak with your counselor about this particular heart condition.  Aren't you due for takeouts? Dan..
ps. please find on the web the interview with Dr. Dole. It will explain to love ones the TRUE purpose of MMT. From a scientist and physician.
----------------WARNING AMUSEMENT PURPOSES ONLY------------------

The only reason I got high on methadone was that I had no tolerance to Narcotics.
Usually Methadone is a very good way to feel good without being high,its just that I wanted to be high,so I stuffed around on it, putting my dose down to 10mg,saying I wanted to get off it and then when used to 10mg(no withdrawals),saying to them ,I am using large doses of Heroin and need my dose put up(bullshit of course),you like? 60mg is not holding me etc,so up to 80mg etc,I ended up on 130mg,and just got pissed off and stopped.
"I want to make it known that Methadone is a very valuable tool for helping Opioid addicted,live a relatively straught and normal life,when used as directed,don`t think I did not pay the price for my Methadone abuse". Vincent Dole and Marie Nyslander(speling)-(spellind)**** (spelling).bloody spewing...
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Now the weird stuff....
=================================================================
I do not know what everybody elses problem is but I use Opioids as a substitute for sex and friendship and love,I am/have learn/`t/ing to love and have sex with myself,but I do not want to get ?too" friendly with spooky.We all know about the David Bowie song ,where Ziggy "sucked up into his Mind".
The 80`s and 90`s have been a real pain in the butt(although the Simpsons is an American Icon of enlightenment for us old hippies).where the HELL did AIDS come from,oh well at least the Nuclear Proliferation is over,Or is it?.(hot war)
Christ I do not know(not that I would not like to meet him),even if I am a sick joke,at least someone may find some amusement in me.even "Bookitty" found a use for me.(although she thought I was Mr Manson Reincarnate)
Oh ,I do not have Aids but how do you really CONNECT with a woman with a piece of plastic between us.
Plastic world,plastic people,plastic economy,plastic love:=yer all want to find a way out or save the planet.Well,well even a Doctor of Psychiatry believes in Aliens(Californication).we all know the ending,its just a meaningless letter followed by a full stop.
Life,make the most of it I suppose,while you can.
By the way,I am going to come into some serious Money$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4-"4"(whats that 4 for?) soon,does anybody want to be on a Luxury Ship and park it in international waters,then we can do what we want.(mummy is an Attorney,legal issue,what was that law again,sorry,sleeping with to many Judges,for even the President is not immune)
RIGHT.
Well I have not been wrong yet(comment welcomed),and want to know how many people have become dissolutioned with "LIFE" in the year 2001 and when our ships meet on some lonely international sea,You can betcha I will know the Launch code sequence for your Nuclear Devices and have Viral mechanisms for their inactivation.
Peace,love and Happiness.
Sorry if this is too Cryptic or INSANE.....
Saul> I have heard of patients being prescribed the injections of Buprenorphine and were instructed to squirt the liquid in their mouths and swallowed. Two doses left. It at least worth a try!
Dan...
withdrawal sucks - BUT WHATEVER YOU DO ODN'T TAKE NALTREXONE UNTIL YOU ARE GOOOOOOD AND CLEAN WITH ABSOLUTELY O SYMPTOMS - LOW LEVEL AND ALL . what it does is immediately put the body into withdrawal by tying up the opiate receptors - not fun at all.
I know Dan's opinion... but for the life of me I still need a direct reply so maybe you will know...it seems that this naltrexone pellet is being pushed after detox..... once a person is totally detoxed what good is it ??? I know it will not allow a person to get high.... so is it a psychological crutch ??? Dan once said that if it stopped cravings it would be a miracle and few would relapse.... and it does seem unsafe that some heroin addicts determined to get high have OD'd and died with it. I have been to some sites and read addicts comments that it did not stop cravings. Just curious what you may know or think.... several people here on this site did not accept the pellet after the buprenorphine detox because they did either did not want something implanted but mainly because they could not really understand how it was going to help. Thanks for your input. Love, Brighty
Hi kiddo - don't let anyone bullshit you about methadone. It doesn't have the same "buzz" as junk because it - help me here spook - it doesn't have the same alkaloids? That **** will get you high - it's a synthectic long acting narcotic. It's been used in painful terminal illness - painkilling potions - for a long time. I first did it in the late 70's when a friend gave me something called ____ elixir - don't remeber the name. The reason I am so adamntly against that stuff is because I have seen so many people lose their will to it. I mean people that fought heroin addiction but after methadone maintenance - simply gave up. As I stated elsewhere here - I understand it's intended supportive role and I know that some people - novices that seek help early typically use it in conjunction with the 12 steps etc.
The other side is murkier and if you have been around junkies very much you know that murky is a kind term. When you have something that keeps you well, is cheap, keeps the depression (for the most part) of your back AND allows you to shoot or sniff dope on the weekends (weekend warriors anyone ?), the insidious aspect is pretty evident. Again I know everyone must find their own way out but having been addicted to heroin in a very deep and thorough way and also having used methadone so many times I truly lost count, for detox and to stay well enough to function etc., - I recommend everyone run from that **** like the plague. If your really strung out on junk -a 21 day detox is obviously preferable to what's in store from cold turkey. But if someone is just sniffing dope or shooting less than a gram a day - the reality is people - there isn't a free ticket out - period. You've done messed around with about the only truly physically addictive substance (except extreme alcohol abuse) there is and you gotta pay the piper. Methadone takes a lot of the bumps out of opiate addiction but there is a very high price tag just on the other side.. Ultimately what it does for most people is extend the whole business of being involved with drugs. My advice is to take yer medicine - sic - once you see what's in store on all fronts and get away from all the bullshit that surrounds this entire afair - including taking the 13th step once your strong enough. Life is short and being dependent on anything simply sucks..
D
He'll be ok when he chooses healing for himself... till then he'll probably get worse.

Love, Brighty
Someone help me here. From reading the posts(I could be wrong) you can get high off Methadone? My ex-boyfriend has been using methadone for the past 6 weeks to help him get off oxy's. The Doctor wrote him a perscription for 30 pills for a week and he seems to be out before he's supposed to be. I always thought it was supposed to be doled out in a program. He came by the other day to talk(his addiction, lying, stealing from me)was the end of our relationship. Two years, rehab, detox, nothing chanded, except he says he nolonger loves me or the boys, and he nolonger has an addiction. Anyway Monday he comes over, we talk and it didn't go anywhere, he tells me he's out of his Methadone, and asks me if I have any Vicoden(I take for spinal Problems)I told him no, that he'll get addicted again, he says it can't happen on a couple of pills. Long story short, while I was putting the kids away, he went in my purse and took some pills, and also took my sons Vicoden tuss medicine, I noticed this the next day. I really admire people who can hang in there and help those they love. I seems I tried to hard, enabled, loved, and got nothing back but heartache, pain, and a ruined relationship. I pray my life will get better, and I will be able to put this behind me. 5 years are gone now. I need to find answers to what Oxy;s and Methadone does to someone, will he ever be ok? He's lost us, doesn't seem to care, lives with his parents(he's 38) has 4 kids and is about to lose his job. Does it ever change? Thank You
I apologize for responding so late - started a new job last week and... All I can tell you is my experience with the naltrexone. The only time i tried it I THOUGHT I was clean. I was always uncomfortable - felt like I needed to stretch constantly and was absolutely miserable. It bothers me for a number of reasons but I suppose if you are at a stage where compulsion simply overwhelms your best efforts you do what ya gotta do. Personally I don't care for the idea of being hurt in a car wreck or? and not being able to get relief until that **** wears off. Thats my truth at any rate. I know everyone has to find their own path just as I understand that a very minute percentage of junkies use methadone the way it's intended, to avoid dope and work their programs. The reality is that most junkies use it to stay well so they can chip when they have the cash and or situations where they can get away with it. I just wish the best for anyone who wants out of the hell that is opiate addiction. I am so thankful that simply the thought of going through withdrawal again is pain enough to keep me away. It took a long damn time to get to that point though.

Best
David
Iam a rock,A 60`s song says a rock feels no pain?(well actually I am Stone)and I stay put on the ground,things crawl under the surface of my subconcious,somebody kicked me the other day and all the little pests stopped anoying me.But I was totally alone,I had no legs to move no  brain to think or feel,no way to move or communicate or feel life,
The moral of the story is, if you get stoned,prepared to be kicked around.
How long have you been clean and what is it that got you to where you are now... ???? What do you mean by the 13th step ?? I am not being flip... others here probably know but I have never heard the term before.... I do know what the 19th hole is :-))

You seem a little brash to be honest... so I am wondering if you are finding a measure of peace ?? I do apologize for any inappropriate message here... remember that these boards do not permit us to hear inflection or to see facial expressions... so sometimes we can read people the wrong way. I do agree that being dependent on a chemical sucks... I call it slavery.

Hope to hear from you. Love, Brighty
Hi sweety - yes I'm sure I do seem brash but if you saw the sparkle in my eye you'd get what I'm up to. I have mucho peace when my 16 year old isn't pulling my chain :)  I'm clean since the summer of 97 and had many years clean before that last fall into hell, but about 4 years now. I was raised by people that were pretty direct and didn't mince many words. When it comes to this stuff - I feel an obligation of sorts to cut to the chase. I know in my heart that it probably will not change anything that anyone here will do but my life and the lives of several people I loved dearly of which several are now dead has been affected profoundly by this nasty disease. I watched my mother go through valium recovery after being on it for 25 years and really abusing it for the last ten. Honestly as horrific as opiate withdrawal is, that made what I've been through look like a day at the park. Anyway I'm just not going to pull any punches about this whole dope thing. I discovered this site because a dear friend of mine blew a disc out of his back and is taking time released oxycodone and augmenting it with dilaudid (synthetic morphine). I know what dilaudid is about as I used it for years but I wasn't at all clued about oxycontin. So when the search engine brought me here and I saw some of this silly ass stuf going on about - "well you probably want to go back on methadone and bla bla bla" I'm thinking jesus are these kids on here and if so who is telling them that ****. There are some very wonderful and well meaning people on here and I don't mean to take this to a personal level but there is also some mighty big ass ego stroking going on at the expense of some very naive souls. Straight up your Brightness, not even the well intentioned doc's often have a clue about what the realities are unless they have worked with addicts for a while. They come out of school with the addiction models and certainly the hard facts in place but that's different than experiencing something firsthand repeatedly. What I mean by the 13th step is to wean oneself from a 12 step prgram - when and only when you're ready. I watched my mom become the den mother of her NA group and it was very appropriate for her for some time (years). When she had outgrown it, it naturally took her a while to figure it out and then wean her self out and move on. The tendency for me to be srident here - thats what you sense is really the parent in me and springs from feeling so passionately about not wanting people to have to go through what my family - nuclear and extended have been through because of this. I hope this gives you at least a little insight. I'm winking at you right now ~_~
David
I failed to answer one of your questions. How did I get to where I am? First you must understand that it was a very long process. I started using drugs as a child, age 6. It was prolific and generally accepted - the subliminal if not overt messages were that "better life through chemistry" was ok. That's probably ok for 90% of the population at any one given time. But for those of us that fall into that other category - addictive it's a real bad recipe. So after the bullshit of just expereincing it personally and seeing firsthand - friends dead, dad drank himself to death, mom with the valium thing - I was fed up. I used my love for my children, the fact that I wanted a quality of life that I had actually "owned" at times in my life - used those as anchors to move forward. It's a weird deal for me because once I get past it for a while  it's just over, never happened.
The last time I went through it (heroin) may have acually saved my life - literally kept me from suicide. When I was living in Portland and went through that whole depression thing - wow it sucked. Then the neurotransmitter reuptake inhibitor **** the doc gave me did something so tweky to my brain it scared me to try anything else and that totally compounded everything. I felt very stuck. I moved back to California to get out of the 6 months of gray winters. I spend a lot of time with the goonager. We build race cars together and generally make havoc in the hood. I did everything I could to not take drugs normal stuff  that I like. Working, playing with the hotrods, going to movies, taking the boat out - harrasing the kids. The awful part of dope addiction for me is what it does to my motivation and pleasure center. I had to fake it for a long time until i did start to enjoy life again. It helped that I didn't really hang with dope fiends. I knew some for sure but the ones that were my friends didn't live near me.
Like I always say everyone has to find ther own way out but surely there are some common denominators.
Love
David
Thank you for your candor.... I think it helps for us to know that there are real live people behind the monikers and first impressions are not to be held onto here. Everyone is the way they are for a reason. And most of us do have some deep hurts.
I am partaicularly grateful for your story because of my daughter's addiction. I want to understand and also know the mechanisms at work in the brain.

I would like to cut and paste your 2 complete posts above to my e-mail and send to a young man who is now on heroin... he began to e-mail me after coming to this board once or twice. I know he does not come here anymore....too much stuff to read through... so this may be something for him to read... that's all... it's a long process and good input with hope attached is not wasted in the long run. OK ??

Love, Brighty
shttp://www.asktom-naturally.com/naturally/brain.html

Thanks for the kind words. You might want to check out the deal above. You are more than welcome to send whatever to whomever - I am humbled. My life is an open book - my mom has always said that I never met a stranger and I wasn't raised around secret keepers in spite of the alcohol and drugs. We are all the same here on the planet where all things are allowed. Some of us are a bit deeper emotionally or intellectually for genetic and environmental reasons but basically we all come to this gig alone, do what we can and leave it alone (by ourselves). I want to share a bit of love while I'm here. Capricorn and all that don't ya' know. I dragged my oldest son out of house almost two years ago and took him to rehab. It was along time in coming but his Mom - God love her - was his major enabler as she was mine when we were still married, and I didn't hold a chance in hell until she felt helpless. I had seen it when I came down from Portland and stayed with them for Christmas - 98. I told her when I left "when it got bad enough to call me". She called me in tears May 5th. I was on the plane the next day. It took me 10 days to track him down. His mother had put him in a rehab in Stockton where he met a 25 year old female in group that was a fellow crackhead and "doing" outpatient. Long story short - she had just inherited 2 million dollars, had a small mansion in a gated community and a brand new black Acura. Let's see now - he's 18 they are both physically geogeous into the same **** bla, bla, bla - what decision was there to be made here? Stay in rehab or jump and run. When I finally had the lawyers tell the hospital that if they didn't at least tell me this girls parents phone number they were looking at an ugly court battle we found him. He looked like he was almost dead. He told me that he had been parking on railroad tracks in the middle of the night he was so depressed. He stayed in rehab, went to a recommended halfway house for 6 months afterward and is now working and attending college. He is my shining light. I moved down here shortly after that because mom needs help with junior. She is far to sweet to deal with these knucklheads alone. This one has two daddy's to contend with. Me and his step dad whom I am very close too as well. This is another chapter that hopefully will shed some light on my concern for anyone going through addiction / recovery.
love and light Brighty
David
It's Easter Sunday. I have noticed on the forum, several people are alone today. This is the first Easter, my children and I have been alone. He chose his addiction over us. It's been a month since he's been gone, I hope he's doing well on the methadone although he  takes as much as he wants. All the oxy's and methadone have made him angry and mean, all he wants is to be left alone, he wants no help or love.  We went to church today, it's been over 15 years since I've been, and I prayed and I prayed, and then someone said a prayer for those with addictions,and I felt so much peace. I finally realized I'm not alone, and It's time I took care of my children and myself and stop obsessing about him and his addiction.  May everyone out there have at least one day of peace....Love Susanlea
I just reread every posted comment on this thread. What a reality check, I posted a question a month  ago tomorrow. Guess what he's still getting methadone every 2 weeks from His Dr. only he's upped the dose. Still no program, clinics, sponsers, just his usual bottle of pills, there's no control over how much he takes, amazing a private physician can do this, just keeping him addicted. If he doesn't have to go to the streets, and it only cost him $5 a script, why quit!  love you guys, Susanlea
I was a herion addict for over six years and a drug addict since I was 14. I tried many times to quit on my own, through countless rehab clinics, etc. Then two years ago I was desperate to stop and started in a metadone maintance program (wanted a metahdone detox program but wasn't available where I was living) Looking back I had been using drugs for so long that a 30-45 day detox program probably wouldn't have worked for me. I started on 40 mgs then eventually made my way all the way up to 100mgs. Well I was tired of being on drugs and yes methadone is still a drug. Its has many costs just as heroin,oxy,morphine etc. do. So I started tappering off going down 10 mgs every two weeks. I was on wafers so it was either 10 or 5 mg every two weeks. I decided to be brave and do 10mgs, and much to my suprise I felt ok. Now when i say ok I mean no heavy withdraw. Everything was going well till i got to about 30 mgs. So when i talked with my clinic they said i should consider staying on methadone at 30 mgs, like it was an impossible task to get off this sh*t, well obviously this isn't what i wanted and as much as i do believe they care for addicts and are aware of how to treat us but I also know Metahdone is BIG bussiness I paid $250 a month and know people who paid as much as $20 a day.So againist their advise I asked to be put on liquid methadone and went down 1mg every two days and have been doing well. I will say I have less energy towards the end of the day and can't sleep for 10 hours like I used to, I usually can't sleep past 6 am which is usually when I take my dose so that tells me it lasts less than 24 hours. I am on 12 mgs and am very happy I made the choice to stop.
Hi there, i hope you keep us posted as you keep on lowering your  dose.  I also have been on methadone before long term and 21 day detox. So r u going down 1 mgm a week?
This is a 7-year-old post....=/
what you should do is DO NOT QUIT COLD TURKEY.
if you take heroin more than 3 days in a row you will become addicted.
if you quit cold turkey it can lead to death.
take morphine instead and take less and less of it each time, untill your completely off it. and once your off it stay away from it completely
I was in an accident on my job and lost mt left leg 10 yrs ago. You can guess the rest,morphine for 4 yrs. Methadone for the last 6 yrs,starting at 160mgs a day so yes I am hooked good. Anyhow I am down to 30 mgs a day slowly from 50 mgs a day 2 monthes ago.The pain clinic is closing and the nearst one is 100 miles away. Not that it matters I want of the Methadone I hate taking the pills. The clinic is closing in 2 monthes so I have 60 maybe 75 days to get off the Methadone.I am feeling it now a little,so I want to know what will help. Vitamins,food,over the counter meds. I heard benadryl helps. I am 54 and healthy other wise. I do smoke pot.
everywhere i look people are looking for help, looking for some way to have a normal life. and god im one of them. when will doctors finally realize methadone isnt an answer to addication. i was hooked on 80mg x15-20 aday for 4 years. and to be completely honest the withdraws from the oxys was much easier to deal with. i see new people weekly coming into the clinic and i feel for them because ya its great at first but i know they are going to have to go through what im going through now and it just kills me. i always try to tell them but of coarse they dont lesson.
Ive been trying to find a not so painful and lengthly way to get off methadone. i cant go back to work till i get off this ****, and the only thing that ive found world wide that works at all (for me) is to, go pick up some morphene. this is how im doing it right now. every 50mls of methadone i was on is 100mg of morphene i was on 220mls of methadone so i started at 400mgs of morph and everyday i go down. if i wake up and dont feel to good that day ill only go down 10-20 but if i wake up and im on top of the world ill go down 35-50. the way i made the transzion was to stop taking my methadone and waited until i just couldnt take it anymore, also dont get the morph before hand wait until your not taking your methadone. i waited 2 extras days just cause i didnt want to go out side. ive been doing this for about 10days and im down to 210mgs. dont think this is fun. remember we're on a very painful drug because of another drug so if your serious about coming off the methadone try this. you wont feel good but i sleep at night and i can go out, not for long periods, im not playing basketball or anything but instead of taking years this will hopefully only take a month or two.
im not saying everyone should do what im doing but if you need to get off the methadone for some reason that you just cant wait the years maybe think about this. but if you have the time why bother. if i was 50+ id just stay on methadone but im only 22 years old and i need to get moving again.
well i hope that helped some people, just remember this if you got addicted to a drug before. tomato-tomata, a drug is a drug be careful and make sure you go down daily
PS sorry about the spelling, lol
methadone is evil.
  SUBOXONE  is far superior, even at the high cost.
AFTER  5  TIMES  AT  METHADONE  CLINICS ( OBVIOUSLY  DIDN'T  WORK )  I TRIED  SUBOXONE.... I  WAS  CLEAN  IN  3  WEEKS.   I  BELIEVE  THIS  IS  THE  "BEST"  OPTION...NOT  PERFECT----BUT  THE  BEST   WAY  TO  GO.
suboxone comes in a pill... i have been prescribed to it!!!

i have had both suboxone and methadone and methadone worked far better... but everyone is different and what works for some will not work for others...

hey everyone... i have always heard that coming off methadone was horrible and worse than coming off any other opiate.. i myself was a really bad heroin addict for three years and when no other clinic or medicine would work to help me come off the heroin i turned to methadone... i have been on it for 3 months ... i started with an adjusted dose of 60 and about a month ago i started to come down from 60 to 50, then 50-40, and like that at 10mgs a week and now i am at 20... when coming down some on the dose i only experienced very mild w/ds for only the first 3 days and it was only at night a few hours before i was suppose to take my medicine that i felt it... i have always feared coming off it but my own experience has been nothing like wat everybody else has said i dont know why... but i am grateful it is not painful like everyone else says... although i prob should have been on a much higher dose i realized the higher you start out on the longer and harder it will probably be to ocme off... so i recommend that ppl start on a low dose under 80 if you really want to quit and then taper off at 5-10 mgs a week... good luck to all those who still suffer
404 megan,

his post is 8 years old and the other one you brought back to life is 20=-1/2 years old. If no one sees it, it will return to archives unanswered.

You would get a lot more help and advise if you started your own post. Scroll up to the top of this page and hit the green "Post A Question" button. Follow the directions.

Hope to see in the forum. If you need help let someone know.

Methadone is synthetic heroin and has the same effects as heroin in the body. It is just as addictive and more deadly than heroin. Ive been on methadone for 12 years and have relapsed more times than can be counted. Methadone should NEVER be used as a heroin substitute to get off heroin. It is Heroin, in man-made form!  Methadone is the number one drug for accidental deaths because its effects aren't immediately felt for 2 hours if ingested. Make no mistake, methadone will slow your respiratory drive to breathe more than any known opiate or illegal drug on the market.
i been on methadone for 12 years tried 4 times to get off it tried going down 5 mgs a time tried clonidine and every tranquilizer possible to help get off it the withdrawls are so bad i cant take it maybe because ive been on 12 years started at 19 and am 30 now desperate to get off it please someone out there tell me what i can do i fear i can never get off it and very scared someone please help with an answer thanbk you
YOU have NO IDEA how comforting it was to find your post and read it as My Biggest fear is or rather Was..."OMG Im gunna be so sick just like I was when I tried to do it CT back in may of 2010 off of my pain meds"????.
I too was on years of Oxy  Roxy and Percocets 20+ a day in percs then snorting the oxy's and roxy's sometimes up to 3 each or MORE a day....
I have been at my local methadone clinic for 9 months now......never passed 40mgs then at the End of August I started tapering down I stayed at 25 mgs until Tuesday as of Yesterday I am on 20mgs and so far I feel ok,......

Everyone that knows me on here and my struggles with trying to find a Suboxone dr and the PRICE-What a miserable road that was...BUT  .....I decided to just detox/taper slowly off the methadone.....and reading YOUR POST really made me feel EVEN MORE positive about my taper.

yes everyone IS Different and everyone will go thru there own set of symptoms....I have been Riddled with FEAR....FEAR from allot of stories (Not on MEDHELP) that "U will be so sick you will wish for death" HUH???
I went in this clinic FOR HELP not to swap my drug of choice I was so highly addicted to...NO I went becuz I KNEW tryin it yet again the  Cold turkey way i had failed so many times in the past that  I knew I would end up back at my doctors or my dealers then eventually .........JAIL or DEATH.....
My only problem to me in MY OPINION is ----I stayed longer than I should have.....9 months was longer than I thought...but I cant change that NOW...all I can do is move forward continue on my path take it slow dont be so hard on myself....and like someone posted to me ...just think this will be over and by summer you will have you life back"

so I wish YOU all the best on your journey off methadone and I hope and pray for each one of us to be FREE of our addictions......to live life with out any drugs at ALL!!!!!

Thanks for  posting 404megan and DONT GIVE UP!!
Kim
Im in the process of tapering down off of methadone. I've been on methadone for 4 yrs and desperately want to get off of it. I'm told I can switch to suboxone when I get lower but I'm wondering if I can just keep lowering my meth dose and get of of meth without turning to suboxone. How is the withdrawal off of meth if u taper right down to 0 mg?
Hi April.....
before I even begin I want you to contact Gnarly or he will find this post of yours....he is and has been my savior thru my taper and all I can say is YES IT CAN BE DONE!!!
I am on 15mgs as of Yesterday.....I am tapering in incriments that Gnarly advised due to my MILD symptoms and I mean MILD....
yes I cry....but I am also 45 yrs old I could ALSO be having Hormonal issues????
So BELEIVE ME when I SAY yes it can be done....YES you will go Thru symptoms but like my post above the post of yours READ it ALL of it...word for word.....and you will see the MAJORITY an addict tapering FROM methadone our BIGGEST FEAR, our biggest obsticle Is .....OURSELVES....
We have to believe it WANT it and commit to feeling like crap for a little while....BUT NOT THE KIND that I thought I would go thru like I did when I tried to Cold Turkey it off PAIN MEDS SO MANY TIMES and ....failed.....
once you go thru "THAT" sickness you never forget it??
But from ALL the forums I've read of people Successfully tapering off methadone please PLEASE REMEMBER April....the work begins when you take your very last dose of methadone...
you MUST stay away from yes Im gonna say it..."people, places and THINGS"!!
you must continue working on YOU why you did what you did so YOU NEVER end up back on methadone ( I dont know if you're on it for treatment as I am)
That is the MAIN problem with us(addicts) we think.."Once we complete our treatment whether it be a clinic or 28 day center which ever you chose,....You MUST find a group of recovering addicts with ALLOT of clean time and get involved with them...
I go to a church on Fridays to a womans addiction prayer group  and they have helped me SO MUCH....but I also have given myself over to my Lord and Savior Jesus ...Im not a bible thumper, I just feel with his love and all the prayers that are prayed for ME...by GOOD GOD loving people, I personally feel it has helped me tremedously!!
So April yes it can be done....if YOU HAVE THE WILL POWER becuase I sure didn't have it when i began but ....I DO NOW!!!!
Good luck and try and email Gnarly_1 he is an amazing man with great advise...what he tells you ...follow it ...I promise you will NOT regret his help...

God Bless and YOU are in my prayers for our Father God to Give you the strength to DO THIS!!
Kim
this is from April4006 from Feb 23rd, 2012...

WHEN YOU GET TIME.....can you send her your wisdom filled words?? I tried I hope if you read what i replied you approve of??? you ARE my mentor Gnarly!!!!
God Bless you my friend and thank you for all you have done for me....
Kim
where to get it, i spent $2000, and got nothing but broken heart!
How was the LAAM, since the just got subs here in Canada, and LAAM is no monger used in USA and never brought into CAnada, why is that, what is it comparable to?
and because suboxone is VERY EXPENSIVE if not covered whether methadone is cheap. As for made up the things we love, i dont think so, I dont find high off done, but it has changed in canada in last 7 years big time????????? I like subs much much better!
NO LOVE, THEY WANT YOUR $$$$$ and every client is a pay check. One time the dr. told me she had given it to someone who took over the counter tylenol 1!! I said you a drug dealer with a degree. And was surpised she wasn't offering free samples along with business card!!!!! HAD THEY TOLD ME THE TRUTH, I would never have touched the ****, and just got off of oxy's! hindsight is a ***** but worst decision of my LIFE!!!! if i could take it all back i would!
oh really because i have the best case that no one has thought of, which is crazy that would make LARGE! I am looking for a pharmaceutical settlement! Please help!
thanks.
had i lived in USA, this would have been a done deal already!
5 mg at a time when coming off methadone and don't mix anything with it ever! Weed won't kill u but ur doc won't be happy. I went from95 mg to 0 by dropping 5 every 3 wks to a month. I'd say to 5 a month to b on safe side. Naltrexone ***** it's just a blocker that actually takes away from the bupe. But the pill form with it is suboxone the pill without naltrexone is subutex which works way better cause some of the  naloxone interferes with the bupe latching to receptors and therefore not allowing full bupe in receptors
I started using using methadone about 2-3 years ago,  I started at 30 mil and went up to 85 mill in 10 mill increments a week.  After being oxy/heroin free for 4 monthes I started tapering down, I am now a 24 mills from 85 Drs will tell you different o keep you on the stuff, they get paid that way,  The Drs in Barrie Onario want people on this, I have to push them to go lower,  I have stared lowering dose myself and had no real problems.  I have even gone down as much as 10% every week with no problem,  I smoke weed sometimes to sleep ake testosterone for energy and mainain great sex life alhough I will be stopping that soon too.
u chose NOT to be an addict. most dont want to live without their Linus blanket, so they just keep getting diffrent colored ones. Good for u!
i've been on methadone and clonipine for many yrears,my E.K.G. came back a bit messed up that was a year ago,i can imagine what it is now.i'm so scared i really want off both of them but i need a medical detox,my insurance doesn't pay 4 any of it.if i had 8000.00$ i could get detoxed medically.the results of my E.K.G. makes places weary of taking me because i could have a stroke,heartattack,seizure etc.so i suppose that this will eventually kill me leaving family behind,i don't dare cold turkey,as i have chest pains all the time.