Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
How can you tell if someone is on drugs?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

If someone is on drugs what how can you tell?  What does dialted eyes mean? I think the drug being used is oxymoxin? Not sure if I am spelling correctly. Heard the name metioned, I think this might be the drug a friend is using.
Tags: Addiction
welcome to the forum, the drug our speaking of is Oxycontin.  I don't know what your friend was like previously, but you would notice more energy when he is high, he will be very talkative, and happy, however, as ar as the real indicators, he/she might sleep later, they will have the "nods", meaning, they can't hold their head up, maybe moody, its really hard to tell because there are so many different ways other addicts can tell, but if you don't know about the drug, or you haven't experienced it, its hard for you to tell, you know??   I hope you can find better advice, I'm sure you will through this forum.  Anyway, take care and don't get caught up with the "wrong" crowd.

GWH
welcome to the forum.  i take it you are from louisianna.  a nice place.  i am from mississippi.  most people who start using
drugs have mood swings.  their eating, sleeping, sexual, habits all change.  depending on what drugs they are taking, their eyes may change - dilation of eyes means the pupil is larger than normal.  with opiates you usually see pin point pupils where the pupils get really small.  i hope i have helped answering some of your questions.  welcome for you to post anytime.  we are mostly addicts trying to keep clean and some of us are chronic pain patients who have a valid reason to have access to medication to improve their quality of life.   Good luck
Hi kajunfriend: I can relate to your questions about how to tell whether or not someone is using drugs.  I myself have NEVER used any sort of drugs and had very little knowledge of what they do to people.  I have been in a serious relationship with the same person for almost 5 years now.  Sometime in there he started using oxycontin. I didn't know.  I did see that he was having huge mood swings but didn't know the cause.  Now that I know about the drugs, I know they were the cause. Because he didn't/doesn't use in front of me I've rarely noticed his pupils being extra small.  I have noticed that they are HUGE after he's used.  He is very energized when using then extremely lethargic after using.  After using he also seems to be very cold and wants to have a heater blowing on him all the time.  I've read that cold/clammy skin is a symptom of withdrawl (withdrawal).
As I mentioned earlier, I myself do not use drugs of any sort but am in a relationship with a person who does.  My question is about relapses when trying to quit.  Are they just a part of the process of recovery from narcotic abuse?
Hi and I commend your efforts to help your friend. My husband still freaks a little when I get into a "cleaning frenzy" as that's one of the things I did when using opiates (of which Oxy is one; he could be using one of many or none at all, of course). I also got cravings for sweets and other food; some here, however, say they didn't eat at all because they wanted the drug to be more effective. The biggest giveaway my husband noticed was my eyes. I wouldn't say they were dilated or constricted, but they looked different somehow. The main thing would be that there will be changes. A personality change of some sort. Possibly secretive behavior. If you can explain some of the things you've noticed, we might be able to help you more. By the way, I'm 8 weeks+ clean today and sometimes my husband still checks out my eyes, just to be sure! Sometimes I think they still change, mainly when I've had a bad headache or am really tired, and he kind of freaks. Good luck and please let us know what's going on.
Tracy
I see in some of your other posts that you've quit using more than once... that must mean that you started again sometime in there. I don't mean to sound stupid here, I'm really trying to understand.  I've done a lot of reading and attended lots of meetings.  I was always under the impression that if an addict slipped up or relapsed, he/she would immediately be back in the place that they were when they quit.  Isn't this terribly difficult.  I'd think it would make quitting harder each time.  I'm being told that relapses are a part of the deal and that they aren't necessarily the beginning of the end.  Is this really the case?

I've been following this site for a while now and see that many of you have "slipped up".  I know that doesn't make you bad or weak people. Honestly, I admire each of you. I believe that the addict in my life is ill.  It is very difficult to watch him self-destruct and know that I can't help.  

Sorry to Hijack the thread but I started using Thomas's recipie and I got sick from it headaches and nausea; like I just got off a amusment park ride that spun me around.  I was wondering if anyone else has had these syptoms (symptoms) from using the 5-HTP and tyrosine combo (or I could simply be comming down with something)
Thats why this disease is fatal. I slipped a few times because I honestly didn't think I would get out of control again. I can equate the experience with child birth. You would think that after having one child the pain would be so bad you would never have another. Soon enough the mother forgets the pain and can only focus on the joy and pleasure of her child. Eventually she wants another child and forgets how badly it hurt to have the first. That to me is what my addiction is like. I loved the pills so much I would just naturally "forget" about the pain of withdrawel. Look into the chemical change that addicts go through when we put a dug into our system. Bill Moyer did a video on it called "The Highjacked Brain" its very informative.
hey people:
i'm having a bad day. the sooner i quit fighting it and put my anger, fear and stubborness aside.

my wife and i took the dog for a walk this afternoon. we ran into
our neighbors from tne middle east. there was clearly something
wrong with her face...like some kind of nearve damage. it turns out this unfortunate woman has cancer thats spread across her facs and is now in the base of her skull! this woman is a neurologist at a local hospital....she told my wife and i she never could understand her patients pain, but now she was learning the other side of it.what a noble, brave, and humble thing to say! too often i dismiss
MD for their lack of compassion...but i would never wish this lesson on her...

see this woman and her husband came to america to give their child- ren a better life, and at that they succeded. maybe it's just me, but i could think of a 12 different people that deserve this, buti'm being childish. perhaps it's best i accept things the way they are.....but damm, damm, damm!
keep an angel on your shoulder
KIP
I think most addiction specialists - and addicts - will tell you that relapses are part of recovery. But that doesn't mean you will relapse forever; I certainly hope I never do again. Actually, I went through detox once before I was ready. I did it for my family. I was successful in that I didn't use again for more than six months, and maybe never would have. But I also had chronic pain issues and until that was dealt with,  it was much harder for me to really quit. I was successful on buprenex, a pain medicine that is not addictive (at least, not like most opiates; it doesn't make you "high") until my doctor could no longer prescribe it. That's a long story, but what it comes down to is that he put me back on hydrocodone and I took that until I had surgery in March. I knew even before the surgery that I had to quit. I had hit my personal "bottom" and was ready to do it, regardless of the surgery outcome. Luckily it was successful and one week later, I quit the hydrocodone. Yes, I've had cravings. I've also had depression and all kinds of other problems. But I haven't "relapsed." I will fight every day not to. You will see many people here who do use narcotics again, and not consider it a relapse. Narcotics Anonymous doesn't even consider it a relapse if you use for legitimate pain and use only as prescribed. That is, naturally, very difficult for us to do. But many of us are able to. I wouldn't take a pill for ordinary pain, and didn't until I had literally fought bounce-back migrains for 45 days. That was 45 days of excrutiating pain. I don't consider it a relapse.
On the other hand, many here do relapse. I'm not going to say it will never happen to me. I can only say I will fight not to. It is a disease and it will kill us if we don't help ourselves. We are very lucky in that it's a disease that we have the option of helping ourselves.
As I said, I feel strongly that we can't get to the point of "helping ourselves" until we are ready. But you can help your friend get ready. A confrontation might be all it takes. I urge you to help him without enabling him. It's a fine line, one my husband really had a hard time with. Eventually I saw how my life was taken over by the pills. I kept the bottle next to my bed so I could take one 30 minutes before I needed to get up; as it was, I woke up starting to withdraw. My life was consumed with pills, getting more, going to the doctor, the pharmacy, thinking about them, dreading the withdrawal. All of that for something that was not even pleasant anymore. I felt sick all the time.
I think Lifeisbetter said it best about the childbirth comparison. Even after going through an incredibly hard detox, even after feeling so much better and more alive than I have in years, those thoughts will still enter my mind: I've been clean long enough, so I should get a good buzz if I just use once.
I'm not going to lie and say some people don't just use occassionaly without going right down the drain. I don't want to do that or even risk it. It's like Russian roulette. It's not that you would take one pill and be physically back in raging dependence. But you might take one pill and then a thousand more and be back in it.
I wish you both the best and hope your friend gets the help he needs, and helps himself. He is lucky to have someone who cares enough to learn about all this. You would be amazed at the people here; we probably don't meet what many stereotypes would suggest. I'm a professional who has never been in trouble with the law; I've never lived on the street; my own counselor said I was "highly functional." But that doesn't mean I couldn't be all those things. I was lucky that hitting bottom for me came before all that could happen. That's due to a complex mix of factors, but I don't look down on anyone who did any of those things. I'm just thankful that we are all here and trying to overcome this beast.
Best of luck and please let us know what happens. We really do care.
You must be ane awefully caring friend to be educating yourself about this disease.  Your friend is one lucky person.  Yes, slip ups are all a part of recovery which lasts for life.  During 2 years of heavy abuse I tapperred and was clean twice.  The longest "clean" time was 1 month.  When I slipped, I did end up righ where I came from.  But, everyone is different.  I am now 6 weeks 100% clean and thanks to fessing up to my MD and now seeing a shrink for the problem, I am on an SSRI (anti depressant) which has helped me deal so much better. I have actually had NO cravings in 5 weeks.  BUT, I know this is a life recovery and struggle.  Its important that your friend (if clean or not now) and you know that slip ups are a part of the recovery and that temptations and slip ups are now going to be
a life long challenge, but not one that can't be won.

I admire your caring and the way you are looking into helping your friend.   Take Care, Nod.   (guess where I got that name from...)
I admire you also.  Most people would just remain uneducated about the disease and make the life of the addict even more difficult.  Keep reading, there is a lot to know.
Thanks for all commets and help. I know nothing about the drug. I am from Texas, but cajun blood. I have seen this person talk alot latly, as well as she needed to eat something because she felt sick to her stomach. I dont know her that well, but I think she is using this drug.
I worked oncology for over 8 years.  it is difficult to see a person diagnosed, treated, and die.  i watched 3 deaths.  these people were not deserving of their fate.  i wanted to know why.  i was angry, and there are days when i am still angry, at the death of my mother of cancer.  i had 6 months, 5 months and 7 days.  like you said, some people are not deserving of their fate.  a mother of 3 children, an angel herself on earth, died of breast cancer.  it had eaten her up inside, she told me that she did not mind the pain, because every day alive was a day with her children.  I'm sorry Kip.  it hurts.  i wish there was something good i could say.  i cannot. life is not fair.  you are a kind person.  stay that way.  angst

i saw many deaths.  these 3 stand out as WHY?

Hello everyone im back. Unfortunately i have to leave out of town for work on occasion. Still feel shitty right now though. I hoppe all is well with everyone. skip,groovygirl,lifeisbetter,ww,hippy,schlub and sorry if left someone out Didnt mean too. i am back to square one guys. day one today. i am so pissed i keep going back and forth. I just want to not do it anymore. and here come the withdrawals. I have a question. I m taking flexoril (muscle relaxer) and it seems to help with the withdrawals with sleep and all. has anyone else tried that. Anyway I hope you all are doing great and if i can get through this week i'll be in the clear. wish me luck anyone need to talk please feel free. talk to u all later.

ash
angst:
words fail the extent of my gratitude. i think the lack of responce to the posting i put yesterday, isn't apathy. some expierences are
so emotionally intense, people fear them. angst, i'm not the least supprised that you would be the one to respond first. you know i've never communicated what a valuable asset you are to this forum. you know you are one of the few people straight, stoned , or in recovery that actually seeems to care about people. (well for now anyhow!) my prayers to your recovery, but also that you may be allowed to associate with junkys seeking recovery and people (like myself) who have chronic pain issues!

from one who's been there, to another whom also has, keep up the
good work! oh yeah, to you and everyone on this forum, THANKYOU! i actually seem to be recovering parts of my life i thought i surrendered up forever! a good deal of the reasion for this is this forum and the angels who congregate therein.

oh yeah, i know it's no big deal, but i would like to offer an
appology for talk of my past with drugs! drugs, for so long a
major part of my life...sometimes i will talk them to a point
where everyone in their right mind would probably wish i'ld shut
the **** up.

keep the angel on your shoulder
kip

ash:
welcome back home. it sounds as if you've had that setback called
"relapse." it's all part of the process. i believe that sclub said
"who ever heard of an addict going from point A to point B  in a
"straight" line. the important thing is you came back, and your
still alive, and you have desire to cleanup your hand.

keep an angel on your shoulder
kip
Kip, I'm sorry I didn't respond quicker. I've had a hellish headache and just skimmed the forum.
I think I told you I worked in law enforcement for the past 4-5 years. My job was to go to the worst crime scenes - murders, traffic fatalities, extreme child abuse cases, SWAT calls, etc. - and brief the media about what was happening. I saw some terrible things. They still swim through my mind. I could usually deal with the murders; as bad as it is to say, many had put themselves in a bad situation. That doesn't make it right as none deserved to die (except the man who'd beat his wife for years; we didn't even arrest her after seeing the scars covering her body). But what really got me were the traffic fatalities. So sudden, and most of these people had done nothing. I'm rambling here but just wanted you to know I always questioned; why did these things happen? It is so unfair. I still question that. I have no answers. It eats me up if I let it.
Kip, your compassion and sympathy are wonderful, and I'm sure your friend knows this. I wish I could say something profound but again, I have nothing to offer but my own compassion and letting you know I've been there, many times, and it always hurts. Maybe we can take a lesson somewhere from this but I don't know what it is. I suppose what Angst said, about treasuring each day. A few weeks ago I posted the address to a story that speaks to this. Let me know if you didn't see it and want to; I will repost it.

Ash -- Many people take flexiril or a similar muscle relaxant to help with the detox. It helps a lot, at least with the restless leg. Other meds that can help are phenobarb, clonidine, a good stomach med, and a few others. These are taken together as a "cocktail" that help get through those awful few days. I hope you feel better today and wish you the best. Hang in there and know we are here for you.

skipper: Thanks alot buddy, your words are soothing and wise. I jumped off a very fast dangerous train again and definetly dont want to ride anymore. I hope u have been well and thanks for being here. we'll be talkin. take care.

Tex3: I am lucky to be a part of this forum and to have people like u in it. I thank u. I salute u. I m determined to have my life back. its just pretty dark sometimes. Let me know how everything is with u. talk to ya.

Ash
i need a few words of encouragement- im just depressed-just so blaa,is this the teriable depression everyone kept talking about-Im wired but can focus on anything.  im getting it back under control with the meds but im just so lonely        laura
tell me what you think- i found and posted on a forum for recovering nurses the other day,but i really didnt click there so i stopprd. they were nice and all,but very little honesty .and then i started getting and im not exgrating 50 plus e mails a day from members and all of a sudden my snail mail is getting ads for nursing stuff,catologs,magazines, etc.,quite a few.Ive had that happen in the snail mail after i renewed my licence,but i dont till next year and im not working so im wondering what started this rush.wierd? so much for conferdential   (i cant spell it but u know what i mean) :)
Thank you to everyone who responded to my question about relapse.  I know that there isn't anything I can do to stop the using habits of my friend, but I still have my concerns.  I guess there is a very fine line between just plain continuing to use and frequent relapses.  It isn't my place to label what he's doing.
Kip,I'm so sorry to hear your friend is suffering and your right it isn't "fair". Angst and tex3, I too have seen alot of tragic things in my life both personally and professionally. In my first month as a nurse I was assigned to a floor called IMC (intermediate care.) It's the floor that people from ICU are sent to when they are expected to pass away. I tended to, and wrapped, over thirty bodies that first month. Needless to say it was an overwhelming experience at best. Yet I started to sense something familiar each time I witnessed someone pass. I realized that, regardless of how they passed they had a commonality, whether they died in their sleep,or holding my hand or during a code with alot of commotion going on. To me, at the moment of their passing, it looked as if something had actually gone away. Not just the vital signs but that the person went somewhere and the body simply looked pain free. I probably sound like an idiot but thats what I saw.
      I've come away with a better uderstanding of the word powerlessness. Not one of us can control when or how we'll die. Which led me to the belief that there is a force that has all the power and control. I think his name is God. Unfortunately we as a human race will probably never find "the reason" people are made to suffer and why things are so unfair. I try not to ask that question because I believe there are simply some things we are not meant to know. Not yet anyway.

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience.
Hi Ash! I'm so glad your back and trying again. Did I ever tell you I detoxed at least 50 times or more until I got it. (I think I got it, well at least today I do.)

Hey Meagain, the depression was the worst of it for me. All I can say is it will get better. Keep trying! It's so encouraging for me to see how determined you are.

and Zoe your right! Only your friend can say whether he is an addict or not. Its best to encourage him to stop and then drop it. He knows your concerned and he'll hopefully come to you for help when the time is right for him. Thats really all you can or should do for him. Consequences seem to be the only motivator for addicts to get clean. Let him stumble and just pray that he'll learn.
hey thankyou:
something awful like this tends to make me feel isolated-abandoned.i know i'm not the only witness to misery and mystery but it sure can get to feel that way....

the end of the line that sticks most with me happened the first
summer i was clean. i went back ot Mpls to visit several old shooting/using buddys that cleaned up around the same time as me. i learned from one the other had already gone back to shooting dope (he couldn't even wait to see what i was like clean!) of course i had to run off at the mouth with all this "program talk." i think i made this friend feel real bad for relapsing. of course i felt entirely justified. the next day i felt real bad about the way i talked and acted out. when i returned to the apartment i'ld left my relapsed friend at, i saw him being hauled away in a coroners van. i try to remember this whenever i witness myself going judgemental. life is short...even shorter for an addict...must learn how to be friend that brings help and light and not judgement and scorn.... that was back in the summer of 1979. i still have to watch my mean mouth. things can be said, that will never be able to be taken back....

keep an angel on your shoulder
kip
hey everyone,
seems to be a lot on this popst.
well it 6 am eact coast time and im off to work in a few min.
ash be real careful fith that flexerel it is real good for sleeping at night, but don't try 2 or more  it will knock you out.peace.
angst, i knew you were a nurse, but i did not know that you eworked with
cancer patients. now that is a lot of pain, just to watch,

peace.
tex you seem to be feeling better, all that writing, hope all is well
peace.  got to go to work, i am at temple U .  this month
What a story!  Never think for a moment that your friend's death was your fault.  You know better than anyone that no one is responsible for another's actions, it is the person himself, no one else has that kind of power.
I'm sure you were only doing your best to spread the word of your new found knowledge, and to help him best you could.
It would have happened whether you were in his life or not, believe me!
Take care, hope you're feeling better today!
:)
Lv Jenny
Hi Everyone. I've been catching up reading the forum and thought ii'd get back in touch. Skip, I see your still active and helping all you can. It's funny how the names change on here but the situations are all pritty much the same. Addicts againts this desease!!! Everyone shows up on the forum after their addicted,to bad people couldn't read it before they started down this long hard road. See what their getting into. Proabably  do the same thing anyway. I know I would have.Does anyone know how long hydrocodone stays in your system regarding a urinalysis? Iv'e been clean for about 3 weeks but had a minor relapse two days ago. I'll have to have a **** test and was kind of worried. Thanks to all. Keep posting. And remember if you thinking of taking more JUST THIS ONCE, STOP AND THINK!!!!It's just not worth it. Just alot of guilt, and no bang anyway. Love. Later. Shane
m

Thank you. even though iwas feelin crappy i still wanted to get back here.lots of shame. im on day 2 detox. i think im pretty close to fifty times too! i have a feelin about this time. the w/d is so severe i cant do that again. you know each time it gets worse it seems.let me know how u are doing. good i hope. talk to ya later!

Ash
Kip, you've had your share and more of heartache. About your friend, it probably does not help or make you feel better to point out that he would have done what he did no matter what you did. Maybe you pulling up at that point was meant to give you something, though, and that was the attitude you have now: non-judgemental, helpful, caring.
As we all pointed out, we don't know why these terrible things happen. When I would see a little baby beat so badly he needed a blood transfusion just from the bruising, I got so angry. But I directed my anger at the father who beat this baby. When I saw an 8 year old killed senselessly in a car wreck which was no one's fault, I had nowhere to direct that anger. I could have directed it at God, and I do question. But in the end I know, like lifeisbetter, that some questions have no answers, and have to accept that. If it was my child, I don't know if I could, though.

To everyone struggling right now, we're here for you and will do whatever we can to help. I hear these stories and they are me in a nutshell. Never before meeting all of you did I see anyone similar to myself. Good luck everyone, and thanks for being there. I'm looking for a house and job so we can have a fresh start, so please wish me luck!

your words are taken to heart and I thank you very much. im on day 2 so i feel just a little of normality.i dont even remember what its like! i am determined. if i can clear this week ill feel better. Please tell me whats happening, how u are, how u feel. Thanks for being here. talk to ya very soon.

Ash

skip, don't worry my friend, I think that is very trajic too and I also think an important thing to remember is you have the compassion to see it. I believe everything is in a divine order even if it appears as trajic or chaotic. Give me a buzz when you feel like it.take care pal.

Ash

Thank you for the warning hippy. I actually took one and felt like i was in a daze. But it did help with the w/d. I at day 2. still feel weird. Are things good? let me know. talk to ya soon.

Ash
Hi everyone,
Sorry I can't respond to everyone individually, I'm at work and don't have a lot of time right now..but I really wanted to respond quickly to your question alchemist.

In my humble opinion, the amount of L-Tyrosine that Thomas's recipe says to take is really high. When I took the amount he recommended, I got really really sick. I felt like I had taken bad speed. It was awful.
when I cut it down to two 500mg caps of L-tyrosine, I felt much better. that ammount really seemed to help and I didn't get the sick dizzy effects at all. Different people need different amounts, so start low and work your way up till you find what works best for you.
Same thing with 5 htp. start low. You didnt say how much you took.
Start with 50mgs. If that feels ok, take 50 two or three times a day. I now take 100mgs once a day of 5htp, plus one 500mg of L-Tyrosine and that works great for me.

Just be careful with that initial amount recommended in the recipe. It may be the right dose for some folks, but for me it was just way way too much.

Good luck!
love,
WW
things are real good,but then agian i know what to
expect, i been down this road, i was clean from 1984 to 1998
in na ,then i ran into the pain meds.
any way i hope things are good for you, im still taking
the receipe.

peace and keep posting
surrender to win
Thank you for your reply,

I took 1x 500 mg tyrosine and 1x 50 mg of 5-HTP (an extract from some plant) either once or twice a day.  In any event, I got really ill, a weird dull headache that made me feel queasy.  I wasn't sure if it is the pills or a virus.  I should mentioned that I still am taking my pain meds with the recipie, I don't know if that "wrong".

Alchemist
hmmm that doesn't sound like too much of either, so I have to turn myself in and say "I have no clue what might be going for you". If it continues stop the supplements and see how you feel.

Good luck, and I'm sorry you're not feeling well.

Anyone else out there know how it makes you feel to take the L-Tyrosine while still on the pain meds? I have no idea what the science on that is...

love,
WW
Thanks,

I did stop taking them yesterday and I do feel better, unfortuatley I will have to take them again to be absolutely sure it was the pills that did it.  The pain meds and the pills should not interfere with one another, but who knows for sure.

Thanks,

Alchemist
Hydrocodone, as with most opiates, are out of your system in generally 1 to 2 days.  In chronic use, it may take up to 4 or 5 days.  I like to err on the side of caution and would give myself a week.
Hi buddy. I'm glad you're back but of course sorry for the reason. I know you must be feeling like **** right about now. I will pray for you tonight, that you can sleep without that demon. I know exactly how you feel and hope to never be there again, but know it could happen, easy.
You've got the right attitude. You have to think this is the time, and be determined to make it so. It isn't magic; it's determination. Like you I WD many times and it did seem to get worse each trip. The last one took at least a week, a bit more. But only the first few days were truly miserable.
How long did you use this time? God, I wish I could make it better for you, for all of us.
By the way, Monday will be 9 weeks for me, and I feel really good. I have bad days, some very bad, but also some truly terrific and on the whole, much better than I was a few months ago. I remember that when using I never had a really "good" day, just days when I didn't feel quite as shitty. I think we're all searching for something and for a brief time found it in drugs; somehow we fool ourselves into thinking, when we're down, that those might give it to us again. But they never do.
Hang in there and know you are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm around if you want to talk; ***@****. Hope you're night is good.
hey people:
just wanted to let everyone know i will be away for a few days.
elderly parents in northwest iowa will be the order of my next sev-
eral days. i hope that IR and i can be back in town by sunday, but
sometimes things drag out a little longer.

keep an angel on your shoulder
kip
Have a great visit, Kip!

hippy:  when you were clean from 1984 to 1998 how did you feel? were times good for u? thanks you for the support i really take it all to heart. how are u now ok? talk to ya

Tex3: thank you so very much. I really needed to hear those words this morning, Friday 31. I have 3 days today but i can tell most of the horrible part has passed. i feel like i am coming out of some kind of coma or dark fog. Congratulations on 9 weeks!! thats great!! I hope to get there and then some more. Thank you for your prayers and encouragement. You and everyone else here has mine. thanks for the address too. mine is ***@****  please post soon. tell me whats happenin. things are looking a little brighter finally. have a great day!!
i think you probably got onto an unsecure website that allowed your email address to circulate to sponsors of the website or so.
they have to money to keep it going.  just like this forum has asked for donations.  which i intend to do, really soon.  i am sorry for you.  when you check out a place like this, read the agreement first.  know they are secure.  i have a couple of virus and unsecure warnings built into the hardware and we also loaded one software to help that sort of thing happening.  i hope you are doing well.  i am another recovering nurse.  i do not know if i will return to my career or change.  i am checking out what else there is.  i'm 36 years old and do not feel too old to change careers.  the politics at the old hospital hurt me, but i did my damage also.  good luck and Blessings,   Ava
Hi Ash, here's hoping each dayn and night, is better. I hate to think of what you're going through and will continue to send prayers your way. Please tell me how you're doing today.
I am well, happy, normal most of all, and that feels great! I can't write much now as my middle daughter and I are home alone and I promised to watch this movie with her, so have to go. But I will check back here later.
Physically I feel good except I'm getting very bad headaches again. Another migraine coming on, which really SUCKS. I actually think thought that it's something in the air or mold in this old house, as a lot of people around here are suffering. I seem to get migraines easy these days though. Could be my hormones regulating after surgery, or the air; whatever, it sure does suck.
Please write with your condition today. I care about you and wish you the best.
Tracy
during those years of bing clean in na , life was great, beyond my wildest dreams, but it took about a year and a half till i got past a lot of ungratefulness,
i rember being clean a year and i still felt like i wanted to die,  it was not untill i really joined Na and just na ,  and i really got involved heavely, i got a home group and a sponser who was clean for 12 years and he tought me about the 12 steps.
when i went the extra mile in the na program my life just got better and better, i got my 2 children back and was  a single parent. i went around the country to na conventions and met all kinds of interesting people, and my life was greaat.
One time i was at a na convention in allen town pa , sitting at a table on a sunday morning at the spirital breakfast  meeting, waiting for the speaker, and as wewere sitting and eating at thre table i was at i began talking  to a stranger ,he was an indian who had just gotten out of the fedral penatentry, turnrs out he was at the wounded knee battle between ith indians and the FBI and he had shot an FBI agent . the interesting thing was my father was at wounded knee that morning in the black hill's starting a AA meeting, to say the least the syncronicty was thick.
I knew i was right where i was supposede to be . and that is the way my life went for the next 12 years.
ya  my father was a member of aa, and still is , me  i have always been a member of na. and na only.
my father always told me i was an addict and i belonged in na.

i could tell you a 1000 stories like the previous one.
   peace i hope your feeling good.
hey everyone:
i've been back since sunday afternoon. i trust no one worried a-
bout my abcense. had a very unhappy visit to my parents. like so
many addicts, i come from a very disfunctional family. i do not
blame my addiction on my difunctional family. i just wanted to
make sure no one thought i did.

my father's mental and emotional health seems to be slipping away at ever faster rates! he is is in a nursing home where he
recieves no more care than the law demands...the rest of my fam-
ily (mother & 2 sisters)...well i just can't come up with any-
thing positive to say at this point. when my wife and i visit my
family, we've always gotten in and out real fast. my 2 older sis-
ters seem to "regress" to their childhood roles of fighting, fus-
sing, screaming and hollering. my mother has a whole library of
personal agendas, etc.

i used to check out the medicine cabnet, and then find a nice
safe, out of the way spot to watch everyone else carry on. i've
never been proud nor ashamed of my family...just amazed at what
a ******* trip they can be...

now that my drug use is somewhat more under control, i don't have
the option of being the silent and invisable entity i used to be.
so...getting in and getting out is the only plan that seems to
work at all.

well this last weekend it was just my wife, my mother, and me. my
mother was in unusually top, hateful form. and it was non-stop!
what can i say??? i just didn't have enough dope...the only
healthy thing i did was cut our visit short, and give everyone,
my wife, my mother and myself the sanity (and safety) that phys-
ical space affords.

i want so badly for things to be different...but i guess if this
is going to happen, it will happen on it's own time table, not
mine!!

as selfish as this sounds, i seem to get along best with my family when they are at least several hours away. at least i have
a fairly good relationship with my mother in law.

anyhow it's good to b e back home, back to work, and back to
walking the dog! sorry i took so long to post... i guess i had
a lot ofn wounds to lick

keep an angel on your shoulder
kip
i was beginning to feel concern for you.  i thought you said you
would be back by the 1st of June.  Anyway, i am so glad you are
back.
before mother, daddy, and my grandparents died, we were very
disfunctional.  after daddy died, momma got sick.  i actually
brought her to my home.  i always had the  woman on a pedistel (sic).  it has taken years to feel as good as she was.  that had
a lot to do with od'ing the first and only time.  i still talk
about her like an angel.  she was very giving toward the end of her life.  it was nice to live on the gulf coast when others live in mid to north MS.  
not a lot of new things happening with me.  tomorrow is job hunting day.  i have been having kids with me from 4 to 5 days a week.  i've told their mothers that i'm on methadone.  i explain how i got to where i am, and the mothers accept me and continue sending their children to me.
i hope some distance between you all will bring some good will.  you can send some of your prose.
you have been greatly missed.  Good luck and Blessings,  Ava

PS  Tell IR hello for me.
ava:
one junky to another- thanx for being you  and being here. i can
not, nor will i try, (i don't need to do i?) to explain it!!

keep an angel on your shoulder
kip
i hope you realize you never need to explain.  things here have been more expensive for me.  my daughter, izzy, has had friends over for 3days, then i went to gulfport to pick up another friend who will have stayed 3or4 days before she goes home.
i've done what i usually do.  i spend money on their entertainment, special food, and rent movies and such.  i give her money to shop.
i have to quit this, or i am going to be out of unemployment with
nothing saved.  i've looked everywhere for a job. tomorrow, i start over again with the ship yard, then the mall.  lastly, i will go to Manpower.  you show up early 6 or 7, ready to work the day.  you get paid for the day's work that day.  i have even
applied at convience stores.  i feel strongly that something will come along if i keep plodding along.  i don't know what else
to do.  i'll pray about it.  the methadone does not really hinder
my ability to find a job.  my uncle might send me something, if I
go in front of the nursing board with my lawyer and my doctor.
as it goes, "Easy does it"  "keep it simple, stupid", if i can do that i just might make it without too much hassle.  you are the angel on my shoulder.    angst
Hi I don't do drugs but my Love one does I have been with her for about well on june 14 it will be 4 yrs I know she is doing herion because her friend just got of rehab from a $120.00 a habit she was in rehab for 28 days and got out she was clean for a week she stated calling at 6 am to get my girlfrined to take her uptown that is there code to go get high. Now I only see her on Tuesday the day before she has to goto her meetings so that I can **** for her.  what should I do?  i ask her is she is using herion she tells me know it my friend i take her to get i don't use it and if i did I could kick it at any time. a month ago she left for 4 days to go to her grandfathers so she kicked her habit it didn't last for long she sweats all night long she takes 2-3 baths a night sometimes claiming she is not feeling good now she sleeps down stairs on the coach claimming that i am acting stupid because she nods out and walks around like a zombia and that i will never understand her life because i have never been through what she has.  i am at my wits end i don't know what to do should i leave her?  her family doesn't really care i ask for help they say i am acting crazy.  then she will tell me that when she used to do herion she wouldn't drink at work.  Can someone please help me I do love her but i can not take this any more I tell her all the time let me try and help you but she will find a way to turn it around and i end up apoligizing.  I feel so helpless because I do Love her and I can see what it is doing to her she talks about her friend doing it to me like it is the worst drug ever but I know she is **** it.  Sorry about the long post but i have no one else i can talk to this about...
Tl1000:
welcome to the forum. let me say first off, you have my pity. ev-
en though i have been and am now addicted to opiates, it is al- ways real sad to watch someone lose a loved one to "the sultry whisper of the heroin bird!" i've been there and done it.

so...what ya' gonna do? if it was me, first thing i'ld do would
be quit pissing in her UA sample cup. you will certainly find out, real quick if that is all your worth to her. think about it...doesn't she mean more to you, than a few drops of "clean ****" in some program's UA sample cup? don't you want to be more
than that to her? if you continue supplying her with the "clean ****" she needs to stay out of jail, or in some methadone pro- gram, or what ever...well your just a "a handy little CHUMP" for her. besides there is a detectable difference between male and female urine. she will eventually get caught anyway.

if it was me, one of us would be packing up and hitting the old
road. who ever you can get out first, her or you. from the sound
of your post, this ***** isn't worthy of your urine, let alone
any love you have left for her! do her a favor and get out of the
way of her using. if i thought there was anything worth saving in
your relationship, i would encourage you to seek help for both of
you. but since she is already well into playing the games of de-
ception,(talking code words with her using friends, for christ's
sake.) i'ld say it's time for a change and a big change at that.
show some respect for yourself, and give her the boot!
keep posting and keep an angel on your shoulder
kip

Thank you Tracy. I have been going through a week or so of hell as most of us know here. I 've got 8 or 9 days. I really really want to get some more pills. It is such a back and forth fight. I m sorry to hear about those migraines, i've heard nothing but bad things that that stuff causes. I m sure itll be fine though. I really appreciate your concern and believe me I think about you and everyone else on this forum and send my prayers that we all fight our fights and conquer. I still dont feel totally normal, hopefully after a month i will. i still have those meds fresh in my mind, even dreaming of them, thats scary. Anyhow love to hear from you as soon as you can take care for the time being and thanks again.

Ashley (Im a guy with a girls name!)

thats very kind of you. I wanted to first off apologize to everyone for being absent days at a time. especially right now with 9 days clean from a 10-12 a day 7.5 and 10.0 milligram hydros I often am so distraught and/or depressed that i can't deal with anything or anyone. You are all on my mind and in my heart. Hippy i hope you are doing well. I will keep on movin along. Tell me how you are today. take care.  

Ash
Hi everyone. I am a newbie to posting here. I have visited the site on a few occasions. I am currently taking pain meds for a very bad back. I am interested in finding out where I can get information on the "Thomas Recipe". I have tried a popular search engine with no success. Any info on this would be appreciated. I will post more, and I hope everyone takes care.
look under "van lingles" question about Anesthesia and Oxy problems, someone posted the recipe in that thread.
i hope this is a good day for you.  with all the negative energy
around here lately, i've laid low.  i have a job at a convience
store.  it is not so bad.  i think she is going to pay what i asked to be paid.  she told me she'd rather hire women my age {36} versus the younger women.  she said we know more about keeping a place clean and do our job.  she will call Monday, and i will know how to soon to start to work.  she needs employees.
hopefully, i will be working by Tuesday.  
how goes it in winter land.  it is in the upper 90's with 100%
humidity here.  i sure love the pool this time of the year.  we are directly on the gulf with that salt water breeze.  had a strange event with my kid, and i'll write you later about it.
i have an associates degree with 35 more hours of college study.
my education may be wasted somewhat for now, but it will give me
time to use my creative side.  things will get better, you know
that.   Good luck and Blessings,   Angst
angst:
so you think it's winter wonderland??!! it's going to be in the
mid 90's with god knows how high a humidity! the corn, beans,
hogs, and black angus country gets summer and winter... with 1
week of spring and fall in between.

so 36 is older? when your 51 it looks young to me! this c-store,
is it 24 hourm type place? i hope not! when some jitter-bug crack
or methadrine head with a hand-gun comes in...well i trust your
common sense...just give them all the money and a sweet smile and
plan on looking for a new job! you are needed here...so be care-
full!!

yeah this whole radioboy thing...i remember someone like him from
my early needle days...always hanging on and trying to be like
the "older guys." common sense dictates that a few people like
that, and you'll wind up with their blood on your hands...some-
thing i never wanted then and even less now...i remember getting
in a terriable argument with this kid who was convinced he could
IV codiene sulfate...(just because you can doesn't mean you want to)

ah well... just so long as "back then" stays back then! i still
believe the whole concept of "cyber suicide" is somewhat intrest-
ing, but not very well suited to this forum! i'll make a deal
with you and anyone else...i won't do it if you won't...come to
think about, i won't do it, and you beter not either...OK?

just remember, your needed here...and keep an angel on your
shoulder!
kip

It is evening here, just got dark at 8:00 central.  It is still over 80 degrees and humidity 100%.  I am still on the list for the apprentiship at the ship yard.  It will be the end of June or early July before they get the class together.  I am waiting on that to come together.  In the meantime, my unemployment runs out, so I have to go to work.  These are not the worse convience
stores.  The cops frequent them because they get free drinks.
Most are well lit.  I am not too scared, but I will be on my toes
watching the mirrors.  I think they are going to pay me $10/hr which is what I deserve.  If you see anything, let me know.  I hope you are feeling alright.  I'm hunky dory even after reading the guy with the handle dive (should have known he was flippant).
I'm still here with ya.  I do not plan on going anywhere.  Talk to you later,   Angst
has anyone heard of gold seal well long story short she i found some type of clear capsules on the dinning table and she told me that they were gold seal capsules and she needs to take seven to clear her system out.  is that true i kept one but i don't know how to find out what it is.  is there a way without going to the police for a test...then i found 10 without some type of white stuff in it so i don't it out and wrote a note saying what are you looking for and i put it back inthe same place. was i wrong for that I am thinking of asking her to make a decision me or the drugs should i do that..and i hate her little friend that calls every other hour to go up town...when i ask her if she is using she blows up saying that she is clean and she is not using and then she starts crying and i fell bad like a fool....i need help
i've heard of gold seal.  check out the local health food store.
i do not know who much a person takes, but it is to rid your system of drugs before you take a urine drug screen.  does she act differently when she comes back from going to town with her friend.  personality changes are common with drug use.  changes in sleep patterns, eating patterns, etc... are common with drug use.  if she is using, you cannot help her unless she wants help.
it is hard watching someone do drugs, hurt themselves, and sometimes die.  but unless she wants help or you know she is using, you cannot do anything.   i hope she will come clean for you.  chances are she won't.  sorry to tell you the truth. Angst
can someone please let me know about this recipe i keep hearing about??what is it for and what are the ingredients??please let me know thanks lilangel
I've been reading this forum for over a month and I am so impressed with all the candid and 'real' life experiences.

My son has been using Oxy for over a year and we only recently found out what it was.  We knew that he wasn't himself.  He and his girlfriend have been in extreme fights that we thought were caused by alcohol abuse.   It turns out she also was on OXY and the fights were always about money.   Their relationship is trashed as far as I can tell.   There seems to be a codependency on both their parts.

He is 22 and lives at home and recently got a good job.  He has incurred many bills and is trying to pay them off.  When all this came out about the Oxy and how much he and his girlf. spent, we realized how addicted he was.

Because of the excessive fighting, filthy language and late hours, cooking everthing in sight, leaving food, dishes, utensil filthy when they come in and complete disregard for the rest of our family, who is usually sleeping. We have given  him an ultimatum.   He was to either go to a rehab or try to withdraw himself.  He tried it himself and has failed.  We are now giving him one day to 'decide' whether he wants to live here (free), stay away from girlf., and go to a rehab or leave our home.   We have other children (a 14 yr. old, a 20 yr. old and a grandchild on the way.)  His bills are enormous and he really has no money because of this addiction.

We have tried to help him out financially, but we are also tapped out.

In all your experience, have we given him the right choices?  Watching our vibrant son nodding off is heartbreaking.  We love him and want him with us, but not at the expense of our whole family disrupted on a daily basis.

It is really hard for me to use 'tough love'.  We never know what or 'who' we will be dealing with from day to day.

Please help, you all are a blessing and this forum has informed me more than any doctor or rehab facility I've talked to.

Thank you.
You cannot fix nor help this loved one.  You need to be selfish and break off the relationship at once.  I had to end a 24 year marriage.  It's not easy.  It's not fair.  But you need to save yourself from this lost soul.  It takes courage and strength but you must put yourself first in this decision.  I say this with love and hope that you will be selfish and help yourself first.  The lessons from living with this disease for too long are just too painful.  Love yourself more and move on.