Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
How do I detox from pain meds ?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

How do I detox from pain meds ?

Someone , anyone ... I want to get off of the pain meds . I take them for daily headaches and migraines . The headaches are unbearable and cant function with them , the meds help ALOT! But I ended up taking to many and going through my meds to fast  . So I want off ! And I dont know how to do it . How do I detox myself ?

I am posting this here , I had it in the wrong section . Thanks for letting me know !!

I am now on Vic 10 /325 , was on Perc 10s .
Was taking 3-4 at a time .I am today trying to just take one as I feel withdrawl (withdrawal) coming on , not sure it will work cause I already am getting leg pain and want to take another one . Please help me !
Welcome to the forum (again ;) ) !! How many times a day do you take 3-4? You have the option of going cold turkey or tapering....slowly reducing your intake to minimize your wds. I tapered so I know more about it than cold turkey....someone will come along and give you more cold turkey info. However, they say it is like a bad flu for 5-7 days and you can use the flu as your smokescreen if nobody knows of your addiction.

If you will look to the right of your screen at the top there is a section called Health Pages click on those....read about the amino protocols....very helpful and if you are going cold turkey the Thomas Recipe is very helpful as well.

Please let any of us know if you have any questions! We are here to help and I am glad you are getting your life back!
JoAnn
I am at about 8-10 pills a day
Do you have a plan...like taper or cold turkey?
Tapering can be done, if you are truly serious about quitting. Most addicts try to taper and with the everyday business of life, tend to not be able to do it because they can't deal with the withdraws. In my experience, (4year oxy contin addict) with many attmepts to quit using every sort of detox out there, meds, taper, c/turkey, I have found that a taper can be long and harder then even cold turkey. WIth a proper taper, that is dr.supervised, the w.d process can be long, but most likely more comfortable then doing it yourself. He will know what to tell you to take in order to start dropping your dependancy all while maintainign a comfortble w.d. It may not be all that great, but at least you will be able to get through the day. If you do it yourself, you may experience w.d almost every day which will just prolong the process and you will suffer everyday. If you go c/t, the w.d process will be over much quicker as opposed to prolonging it for weeks. Its all up to you, if you are serious about quitting there are meds your dr.can prescribe to help you get off for good. Also, look in to getting a non-narcotic pain med for your headaches. Good luck.

Lisa
If non narcotic meds worked for my headaches I would be on them LOL
I have tried every freaken headaches/migraine med possible . He even had me on a prevenative medication for them. NOTHING works other then the pain meds . Trust me if they worked I would be on them and not be in this situation! I live a normal life with my kids , I dont get High from the meds . I take my kids to dance , soccer , gymnastics , karate , and so on . Help with homework . Im a single mom and my 5 year old is autistic . I live a very normal life . I just think its time to get off of them ! I  did go from Perocet 10 mgs down to Vic 10 in the last month . But had to take so many to get my body use to a lower narc . But I think I am able to just take a few a day . with the massive headaches in between . Thats the hardest part . I cant function with my headaches . Im nervous about them to , I have no insurance .  

Joanne which way is best ?
Well, it's hard to say what is best....we are all different. I could not be in a state of wd with my toddler at home.... so it just depends on your situation....

I sent you a PM... if you click on your inbox....

JoAnn
I think i would get ahold of your doctor and ask him about this.  I went c/t off 18 vikes a day and i was sick for about a week and a half.  I dont have small kids at home tho as mine are grown.  I see Joann is sending you a pm.  She will be able to help you.  good luck and keep us posted.              sara
I would get hold of the doctor and have him help you taper plus narcotics don't work for migraines so he needs to look into why you are having so many and what kind of headaches they are .We have the community leaders from the pain management forum over here for the next two days to help with non narcotic pain options .I would ask them if they know of anything that might help you .
I agree with avisg, I have periodic migraines and not once did a Vicodin ever get rid of it no matter how many I took.  The only thing that works for me is the OTC Excedrin for migraines......and, only if caught early, otherwise I am sc rewed......

Funny, back in the days.....when at the Doctors office.  She was giving me a script for Vicodin and in the same breath told me to be careful with the Excedrine because it could be addicting.......just shows you how taboo pain meds are.......too funny.

Sorry bout your headaches.......Maybe you should tell the doctor the Vic's are not working and what other alternatives are there......hopefully your doc isn't like mine and when I said that he wanted to put me on Morphine instead.......Geez.'

Tapering is a btch as you can already see.  Cold turkey with children.......NO WAY, and a special needs child......I can see it if you are Wonder Woman.....Maybe suboxone???.....I wish I had more and better advice.  Please keep posting.

Nauty.............
well, I know a lot of people aren't going to agree with me on this but Tramadol (Ultram) will relieve the withdrawal symptoms.  But the problem is, when you try and get off the Tramadol, you will have the withdrawal problem again.  The advantage of taking the Tramadol is it is not listed as a narcotic so it is easier to get from the doctor and I think it is easier to taper off and withdrawal from than Vicodan or Percocet.   I have gotten Ultram as samples or my doctor writes 5 refills on my prescription.  You will not have the withdrawal symptoms so it is easier to go on with your life, especially if you are trying to get off the pain meds.  That is what I am trying to do right now, I have switched over to strictly Ultram and tapering off.  You don't have the craving for Ultram like you do Vics or Percs so I think that is a big help.  What I meant about people not agreeing with me on this is I have seen on this forum about people having side affects, seizures and being even more addicted taking Ultram but I have taken them on and off for 10 years without any side affects at all so it would be strictly your choice if you want to try it.  Personally, I have never known anyone to have these side effects.  It is a pain medication too so it may help your headaches and your doctor may prescribe it for you.  Twice before, I totally got off the pain meds and I tried it cold turkey and I hope I never have to do that again.  The second time I did the tapering with the Ultram.  I think the main problem with almost everyone on these meds is what to do about our pain?  It is all great to kick the pain pill addiction but when you do and you are still in pain and nothing helps, that is when you slide back into getting more pills.  It is a vicious circle.  I'm just hoping this time maybe I can control it better with my massage chair, muscle relaxers (which I don't really like so I've never had any kind of addiction with them) and trying different things.  But for you right now, suffering, see if your doctor will prescribe Ultram so you can try it and see if it helps you.  JMO
As a person who just spent the night in excruciating pain from cold turkey no tramadol, I would say stay the Heck away from tramadol!!!

I'd rather cold turkey vidocin or percosets than tramadol.

Using tramadol to get off opiates is putting a worse drug in the place of what you are already taking. Out of he frying pan into the fire in my opinion. Sythetic opiate and an antidepressant with all your Dcos saying oh how safe it is!? No! Sweden in May reclassified Tramadol as a dangerous narcotic. Go Sweden!

Plus, in the beginning Ultram (taramdol) gave me wicked headaches.

I would rather eat rat poison than take another tramadol.

Just my opinon, having spent last night awake after my first full 11 hour day back at work with two ice packs wrapped around my head from Tramadol withdrawal. Until I found some sublingual B-12 tablets I was feeling like I might have actually turned into a spider.

I hate Tramadol *kicks Tramadol* *kicks it again* See? I'm getting stronger.

Have you tried Chiro and Accupuncture Mommy? For de HA's? I mean you have gone the alternative medicine way? Body work? Excellent non headache diet?

I hope it gets better for you and you can get off. If you taper and then find someone to help you with the kids the most serious withdrawal at home (with no insurance) will last 3-4 day depending on how long and how many you were taking. It will be bad, but if you keep going, it will aslo be bad.

And I know what it is like to have no insurance and be where you are. And hey ... I'm on Day 13 and I can kinda function. And I even feel like my old self half the time!

Hugs!
Emly
Don't take tramadol!!!!! I am in the same position as you, with the withdrawal and having children, and that's what I am withdrawing from! I used to take narcotics for my back, yrs ago and it was easier to stop taking than this garbage. I haven't taken tramadol in a week and it isn't getting any easier. I was told it was non adictive and yet here I am. Stay away from it!
To Catchaos;

Oh yes, I know! Would rather cold turkey off anything else. Anything else. Anything. It got so much better for me at day 10 and yesterday I was able to work an 11 hour shift. I highy reccommend the B-12 sublinguals. They are realllllly helping me.

Tramadol with kick yer butt and take yer name and hold your head underwater, but please keep up the no tramadol fight. It is so worth it. I promise you!  Your personality and spark will come back AND you won't have as much pain. I bet the tramadol was making your pain worse, as it was with mine. I despise and hate tramadol with the red hot firey passion of ... well ... you know the rest ... Pace yourself. When it gets bad, rest and breathe thru it. Resisting the pain makes it worse. Hope that helps a bit.

:)
(((((Catchaos))))

Emily
I mean no disrespect here but coming off 18 vicoprofen a day was no walk in the park.  i am over 2 months clean and still having a few issues.               sara
No way on tramadol! I take another medication and the 2 do NOT mix!
Vic or perc may not work for u guys on ur migrains for me they do take the edge off of them to where im not puking and can function again .
I used to tell myself I had to have opiates for migraines.  I'm speaking for myself, but when I did get sober and didn't take them anymore, I had maybe 1 migraine in 1 1/2 years.  Opiates cause a rebound effect on migraines and while it may be required as a last ditch effort, they should not be used to control them.  If you are having a constant headache anyway, why take them-it doesn't make them better.  But i bet they get reeeaalll bad when your pills start to wear off eh?  thats the rebound I'm talking about.  If you want off the pills, your going to have to find something else.  We know from experience that it just gets worse over time.  eventually you will have such a tolerance, no amount of medication will help.  Get a second opinion and try other options.  You have to have an open mind in order to get away from these pills my friend.  I know I swore that the vics and percs helped my headaches, in reality, I just wanted to escape from life and used it as an excuse--then I was addicted and didn't know where to turn.  Talk to your doctor again, or find a new one.  It may be you end up living in pain, tolerable pain, but you will be living and not just getting to the next pill.
I know you say you live a very NORMAL life, but sounds chaotic to me.  I'm not trying to be rude here, but do you think you take them so you can live this busy life and get through the day-emotional wise?  It may be you have some underlying depression going on, and stress is a big trigger for headaches.  Just a thought?
I didn't mean to start an uproar about the Tramadol and I didn't know about the mix of your medications.  You asked for help, any help or ideas.  I gave you one person's experience.  Personally I found the withdrawal from Percocets much worse than withdrawing from Ultram.  That could just be my system.  Everyone is different.  As we all know, withdrawing from any of this stuff is murder so I am open and grateful to everyone's experiences and ideas on this forum.  I am also glad the people on here told us about their bad experiences with tramadol, that does make me try and wean even faster.and get off both pain meds. I had no idea anyone had any problems with tramadol until I saw this forum.  I have never had a doctor, druggist or friend mention anything at all about problems with Tramadol but there must be something to it according to this forum.  I just thought it was an easier way to detox.  This forum is so helpful I think.   I just hope when I am totally off the meds, my pain isn't too bad.  It is much easier to stay off pain meds if you're out of pain!  If you are still experiencing bad symptoms, lots of .hot baths and sleep (if you can) makes it easier.  good luck to you mommy
As Emily and Cat said Tramadol is very addictive the withdrawal is awful. Tramadol is not a good choice for wd !!!!!

Mommy I am gald you are not thinking about taking it .
what can the doctor prescribe except suboxone (I think that is it) to help withdrawal?  are there other meds?  thanks
colonadine<---- spelling  really  helps with WD that is an option depending on health history and other meds
Wow there are alot of opinions on here most of them conflict which tell me that detox is a personal issue and you have to find what works for you.  Honestly as I read the posts here there is no magic "pill" to get off of these drugs that our doctors are so happy to get us hooked on.  I've read about suboxone, buphenirine (sp), clondopin etc..  Each one has benefits and downsides to them.
I guess it's all up to you, personally I'd rather just cold turkey it.  The tapering off seems to me just to prolong the bad feelings that are inevitable anyway.  It's like getting in a cold pool, you can jump in and take the shock all at once or ease in and suffer the prolonged agony of the cold water.
Just be sure that you do not have access to anything if you are going to cold turkey it.  It's gets so bad that if you did have anything you would take it..
I love your comparison to cold turkey as just jumping in the pool.  You are probably so right as I am a "weaner" and I am also the type that slowly works my way into the cold pool and torture myself! lol  And you are absolutely right about not having anything in the house when you go cold turkey or have no one to "borrow" one from.  I have read many articles and know for a fact that law abiding citizens that have never done anything illegal in their lives will buy a pill if they are in withdrawal and it is available.  That just shows how uncomfortable withdrawal is.  I haven't seen anyone mention it on here about my main irritation on withdrawal.  My stomach is jittery on the inside, like my bladder feels like it keeps jumping and I have to urinate all the time. does anyone else have this?  and what do you do for it, if anything?
I was honest with my doctor and he was great on tappering me off..I tried to go c/t but i have a small problem with seizuers and going c/t for me made that small problem a big problem....the tappering was hard cuz you have the pills in the house and thats all you think about, the doctor would lower the dose every week till finally i felt it was low enouph that i flushed the rest.
What ever way you decide upon i wish you all the luck in the world, keep posting and let us know how you are though all this.
god bless
bobby
You mentioned Ultram above......I have a sample bottle of like 4 or 5.........will that help me as I'm coming off Vicodin???
yes, the ultram will stop the withdrawal symptoms.  I have heard that some doctors use it to help patients get off vicodan and percocet.  It doesn't really help my pain when it is bad but then again the pain might be worse without it.  I have always used it when I am out of percocets or when I am trying to get off pain meds .  Everyone says it is addictive too but I find that I don't crave getting an Ultram,like I do with a percocet,   it just makes me feel normal while I am trying to get off percocets.  The bad part though is if you stop Ultram, you will have the normal pain med withdrawal symptoms.  It is good though to use if you want to detox a step at a time by not having withdrawal symptoms and mental cravings and then keep cutting back on the Ultram to wean yourself.  If you say you only have 4 or 5 pills, that will help you a day or two but you can probably get a script from your doctor for Ultram if you don't have any problems with it.  they aren't very strict on Ultram and you can get refills.  There are some people that have had bad problems with it but I have taken it on and off for 10 years and have been fine with it.  You can research on the internet to see that it is used to kick pain pill addiction.
Okay...controversy on the trams i see....trams are very habitforming for some....my friend is hooked on them now...withrawals bring severe depression for her as they have a narcotic and AD quality to them so they can be a double whammy for some...i have taken them and dont like how they make me feel...i have never abused them but never felt myself craving them or wanting to abuse them....but some do...it hits their need and they are gone off in tram land...since joining this forum i am very leery of them as i know their potential now....it is best to detox by tapering or ct if u can...following the thomas recipe and using the vitamins and supps...course it mentions valium and that is habit forming as well...u have to use ur common sense and know urself and ur boundaries and be safe...making a plan that u can stick to is of great value and then carrying it out to the best of ur ability..aftercare is a very important part of this whole thing for sure...keep posting
first of all you have NO idea what you are talking about and directing it at me like you do ! Underlying depression because of my hectic life and trying to stay busy because of it ? Are u kidding me ? So having my kids stay active in sports and activies is a bad thing and are u saying Im doing that for me and not my kids ?? They each have 2 activies !  You can think that if you must !  I do nOT get rebound heaches from this ! I know what rebound headaches are , I would get them from some of my meds . And I have had migraines for a long time . So you are telling me if  I stop I might not get a migraine for over a year ?!?! I Wish It were like that ! You may have not gotten them after you stopped  but you are not me . I did stop a few times and still got them . Even went back to other migraine meds and thats when I was getting rebound headaches . Im not freaken lieing when I say they work for my migraines  ! I should never have came here . I did not come here to be judge by people like you! YOu say you are not trying to be rude but you absolutely were ! I do lead a NORMAL life as a single parent with kids in activies and sports ! I am not the only parent that runs around to take there kids places , I love it and wouldnt have it any other way! Underlying depression my *** , I love my kids and I will do anything and everything for them !  
and I didnt come here to have anyone say that I shouldnt take them for migraines and they shouldnt be prescribed for such I came here to find out about getting off of them !
I didnt start a uproar , I know you were trying to help . All I said was I couldnt take them .Everyone else chimed in on that issue LOL
I just have to say that "mommy" is NEW to this forum....nobody knows what her circumstances are. Nobody knows what she goes through each and every day of her life. I do...because I PM'd her and asked her instead of making assumptions and then basically attacking her on the forum in front of everyone.

What does that accomplish? Hurt feelings and running of someone in need....when you don't even know their full story. I could understand if she was on here everyday with the same issue...it's her first day...so don't guess her story then treat her rudely.

We are all here to support each other in a kind, loving, compassionate manner and we should all have the same goal of getting clean and staying clean. It's not fair to just accuse someone on their 1st post....

I am sorry if I sound harsh or have offended anyone... but it's not fair to attack anyone first day on the forum or not.... I am so sad she has been treated this way. She came here to ask a question on how to get off....not to be judged....we are all addicts here so it's not fair to pick apart that nobody likes her reason for using.

Mommy I hope you stay.... this is not the norm for this forum!
Hi there..Do you think you would have good enough control to taper?? I hear you loud and clear of just being sick of them..regarless of why your taking them..I do feel for you about the migraines..I suffered for a long time with them..and after my 3rd child..they just stopped..out of nowhere..I am thankful to have only had a couple in the last 17 yrs..I have 2 friends that havesuffered severe damage due to migraines..one lost some of her vision,had a stroke,,bad stuff..have you (i'm sure you have) tried imitrex shots? even chiropractic? just a thought.
anyway..there are only 2 ways i know of to get off these things..cold turkey..or taper..I know it's rough with children at home..i went cold turkey off of hydros..@10-15/dy ..I felt alot better within the week..lingering issues for me were sleepless nights and lack of energy..
Very well said JoAnn.  We do need to think about others feelings here.    sara
mommy ....

we are here to help.

and i betcha someone can...

keep on positing and something you say, or something someone else might say, will "click,"  it just will.. and you'll get a good idea how to beat this thing. how to move forward...

so keep posting.. a solution will be at hand.

feel good...
:-)
mj
I am getting in contact with a dr to help me ....
great post, you said it all
I didn't mean you started an uproar about the Tramadol, I meant I did, LOL.  It kind of looks like I'm the only one I've seen on these threads that has had positive experiences with tramadol (Ultram).  I do agree that before anyone tries it to check and make sure it doesn't react to any other medication they are taking.  The only thing I notice when I take them is I'm not hungry.  In my case, that is a good thing!  The main reason I take them is I don't crave the Percocet and I can go much longer between doses with the Ultram.  I'm glad you are going to a doctor, try and get one that has some sympathy for this addiction and not one of the ones that go running for the hills if you need help.  Please do keep coming back to this forum though, I am new to it too and I find it does help me.  I guess because people that don't take pain meds do not understand when you try and talk to them about this stuff.  they look at you like an addict or have some strange look on their face.  People on here do understand.  I don't blame you for getting upset on that post, we should all be here to help.  everyday you are off the meds does get better I find so hang in there..
ps,  my children are grown, I can't even imagine trying to get off the pain pills when they were small and at home.  I commend you mommy!
The dr that I am trying to get into is an addiction dr .
An addiction doctor can help, that is a great move! I saw one and she helped me to detox without tapering and I was only really sick for one day.  They can be expensive but it was the best money I ever spent.  You can pm me if you want to know the meds I was on.  It was only for ten days and then I was off of them and really they made things so much easier.
its true, no one knows what you have been through.  Be strong, I cant imagine what those headaches must feel like but if you are unhappy on the pills then I hope you can find another way.  
Yes these prices are insane!!!!! LOL
WOW ! AFter what I just read on another forum , shes got ALOT of nerve bashing me !  Now I see why you are so F'd up! Married man! DAMN! HAHAHAHAHAHA And I have a underlying reason ?  Paybacks are  *****!
I am very sorry that my comment offended you?  I never intended it to.  We are all different and what works for one, doesn't mean it is that way for everyone.  I can only speak of MY OWN EXPERIENCE here?  I was merely trying to throw out suggestions of things that you may have not thought of.  I commend you for what you do for your children!  They are lucky to have a loving, devoted mom!  I too am a single mother and know how hard it is for me.  I know I have never walked in your shoes, only you have.  You know what works for your body better than anyone.  If you need them to function, you need them?  Sounds like you are taking some wise steps seeing the addiction specialist?
I am not saying I am perfect?  I have problems too, and yes I use pills to deal with emotional issues, alot of people do.  Not saying you do, but I DO.  I can only share my experience in hopes that it helps another, and I know it will not be for everyone?  
In the above comment, I said "I can only speak for myself".  If what I said doesn't apply to you, then leave it.  Don't let what one person says ruin your day.  The badgering and negativity is not necessary and will not solve anything?  
I'm sorry you were so offended?
I take about 8 pills , max a day . I take them for control my headaches and migraines . I do NOT take as many as most do . Yes 8 is still alot . I am not mentally addicted to these . I take them for legitamate pain  . I have back and neck issues as well from a car accident . When I am off of them , then thats it . I dont crave them . Yes my body is addicted to them but thats because thats what they do and thats the part that ***** . And no Im not in denial , I know my body . I don know what to do if I stop these , cause I will be back to being in pain all over again . I do not take them for emotional reason , I never did . Like I said I live a very normal life , I DO NOT get high from them . I just wanted to see about getting off of them because I have no health insurance and they get expensive . But I know that I cant just stop them , which is why I came here to see how to go about stopping them .
I am a chronic pain patient/fusion/scoliosis/DDD...up to 60 mg of hydro per day to maintain..80 was a good day if i had plenty....i am also "normal" and lead a normal life...a professional and well educated...the pain is something that will have to be dealt with if u want to quit...hydros nor any narcotic is legitimate legally to treat migraines and have been proven to be detrimental to migraines..so it is odd that ur doctor prescribes this amount for u monthly as the DEA could anialate him/it is not an indication for 240 hdros a month...he has been good to u and is risking his license to prescribe that amount to u...u do not get high from them/most of the normal population would be popping out of their skin on 80 of hydro a day so u must have quite a tolerence... so an alterior method of pain relief would be ur answer....a med made for migraines as narcotics are not approved for this use long term...i would see a nuerologist and get off narcotics and get to the root of ur problems...narcotics have actually been proven to intensify migraines...u r not mentally addicted u say so  4-7 days of feeling a bit flu like would be all u would be looking at...none of the mental stuff would apply to u since u r not addicted mentally or anything...should be a breeze and then get with a doctor who knows how to prescribe for migraines as narcotics are the worst med on earth for them due to the rebound effect...good luck but u will get off without a problem according to ur post...4-7 days of feeling a bit sluggish and flu-like...u would never have paws or cravings as u r not mentally addicted...u r lucky and good u r jumping off now
and do find a doctor who can help u with this...a nuerologist is ur best bet...80 mg of hydro is alot per day and ur doctor coud be at risk for prescribing this..they investigate them daily..my pain doctor will at most give me 120 per 4 months...he has been investigated and migraines were not an indication for narcotics and he had to drop a butt load of patients//it is good u r stopping now but u will have no probs as u explained, ur not really an addict
Well you can quit over and over again. It is difficult but can be done. The problem is staying off of them.

First you need to address all the reasons you are taking them

headaches?
to avoid withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms?
to cope with a demanding schedule?
whatever the reasons, you have to be honest with yourself.

if you quit and find that all the reasons and problems you started taking them first of all are still there and nothing has changed.......well it is all too easy to return to them or be miserable. you need to seek out solutions other than pills. you know that the pills are just not going to work.they are only a short term fix. pain is not a fun thing.

a good place to start is with your diet. so many ailments are caused by bad things we put in our bodies or good things that we are not. people underestimate how important our diets are. But it is very to see that if we treat our cars poorly and put low-grade gas and oil in them..... well they will run like sh#t, right?

hope this is helpful to you
I said I would max at 8 a day  , I never said I was taking that every day!
I am so sick of all of you that judge the reasons why I take them . I do not get rebound headaches from them , I do not get 240 pills a month! Stop reading more into it then you know , ok?  I have seen Neuro , still see Neuro . Prooven detrimental to migraines? Really? Thats nice of u to let me know that . I wonder why they work for mine then , huh? Did you also see the part where I was in a car accident and have back n neck issues ? Apparently not .
Should be a breeze huh ? Are we a little bit sarcastic ?  Some of you crack me the hell up. Why don't you say this **** to people who are taking 40 and 50 pills a day! I have taken more then I should but I do NOT take it every single day . If I have a good day with my head I take 3 or so a day . I make my meds last me some how for the month . No way in hell am I getting 240 a month . My doctor is not stupid !
Most normal population would be popping out of there skin , huh? I guess I am not normal then . I do not get freaken High , I would NEVER get high with my kids in my life. Im very much involved with my kids .
I can be just as sarcastic as you ! And I have decided that I am done with this ****** *** site . Tired of a few people saying that I should not be taking pain med to manage migraines ! Dont tell me what I should or shouldnt be taken for them . I came here for other reasons , not to be told that I shoulnt take them ! Get a life and stop judging people ! SCREW YOU! Bu BYe!
Thanks for your post . Most defintly dont take them to cope with life LOL My life is just fine . Great friends , great family and amazing children , what more could I ask for ?
what more could you ask for? to not be a slave to these damn drugs, right?

i know where you are coming from. i didn't take my scripts to get high either. they solved my pain problem and i could finally get all the things done that i needed to. problem was i couldn't without them. and so it is a vicious cycle. on top of withdrawl (withdrawal) now.

so everyone needs a different plan. i hope you come up with one sooner than i did. it took me 2 years. i finally quit the job that was too hard. divorced a miserable mate. hah and moved 2000 miles away where the weather treats my body a little nicer. maybe a little drastic but it worked. 7 months now and i am very happy although i still do have bad pain at times. and not as much money as before. but happy and free!!

you have a pretty difficult job that you cannot quit. being mom is much harder than punching in and out at a company. good luck on your search for a solution no matter how long it takes. keep looking and you will find it. and in the mean time try to keep your dosage down as low as possible for when you can quit. i tappered. when you drop your dosage and keep it there, your body adjusts to it and the withdrawl (withdrawal) stops. and it is not nearly as bad as cold turkey.
There are some very wise and experienced people on this board with a vast amount of info to share that can help others greatly. Unfortunately, newbies to the board are usually in a world of hurt and confusion. Denial and defensiveness is running strong. With that being said, the newbie has a difficult time settling down and remembering "Principles above Personalities" meaning don't personalize everything said to you but rather glean the good and useful information instead.

It's all about getting better (recovering) and Not about possible hurt feelings. We're all big boys and girls that come together with a common purpose, to help others recover by sharing what we had learned (and often the hard way). With all that being said, lets try to overlook that which we might think is an accusation or a slam and instead look for the good in that which one may share. It's really the only sane way to recovery imo.

-Vic
I agree with Victor...use the info that did help and just forget the rest..Please stick around..We are in all stages of recovery and sometimes the passion in which one feels about having detoxed off their drug of choice..can sometimes get carried away..I do believe that most of the time peoples hearts are in the right place..I am sorry about this being your first post and it going the way it did..there are alot of wonderful people here, i am simply asking please don't judge the whole by a few off comments..I pray someday the dr.s can make some sort of breakthrough with migraines as they are debilitating..Good luck..I am sure the addiction dr. will be of great benefit..
It sounds as though you are functioning well even on the days you have to take up to 8.  I know it's not every day, but understandable when that's all that works for you.  I hope the addiction specialist will be able to help you find some other solutions.  Remember, you came here to find other peoples suggestions, and that's all they are- suggestions.  If they don't work for you, then keep looking.  You are lucky that when you only have to take a few a day you don't crave them.  We are not as fortunate.  And the fact that you went from Percocet to Hydrocodone is a hurdle in itself, because the percocet is stronger medication.  Regardless of WHY you take them, you are asking for suggestions of how to detox yourself, and admit you are physically dependent on them.  That's different than the mental addiction.  You are lucky that you don't have the mental cravings when you try to taper, but the physical w/d can be REALL"Y hard especially for you being a single mom, and having children that rely on you.  I'd just try to take as little as possible, and if the physical w/d gets too bad and you aren't able to function, then just take as many as you need to stay out of w/d or where it's at least tolerable.  hopefully the new doctor you are going to see will have some alternatives?  I know for some people, suboxone is used as pain management.  Many here have an awful time getting off of it, but that may not be the case for u since your ha's are chronic and prob won't ever go away.  That way, you won't have to worry about w/d from that and won't have to worry about driving your kids to various activities when you are taking the opiates.  while opiates USUALLY are not wise in treating migraines, for a few it is the only thing that works, but generally aren't used for chronic migraines.  Mainly for acute attacks.  You can read the literature yourself.
Really reconsider the 'having an open mind'.  It is hard to hear other's opinions, and usually (for me anyway-I can't speak for you) when something offends me, it means I need to look at it VER"Y carefully.  When I react that way, the comment is most likely true and what I don't want to hear.  If you want to get off these-as you say you do, then try not to be so defensive and take a strong look at what's going on.
I DID IT! IM FREE! lol  I tapered then just stopped and didnt suffer to much , was just very tired!!!
>>>>>CONGRATULATIONS!!!  <<<<<<
WOW!! Great going. From a full on habit to clean in just five weeks. I am so very happy for you as you have great will power and the desire for a better life. You deserve being happy and clean.
Mommy...I pray what happened to me will happen to you.  I went cold turkey off dilauid  a very very strong narcotic for pain.  I am on day 17.  What I want to say is that the pain that narcotics could not take away is brought down to a tolerable level by ALEIVE  !!!!!  can you imagine that    Love  Jerri