Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
How do I get off narcotic pain meds when I have 2 young children and fa...

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

How do I get off narcotic pain meds when I have 2 young children and family to taker care of??

I am new to this site! Let me start by saying I'm so scared and full of anxiety! I'm a mother of 2 and I have been addicted to hydros 10/650 for a year now! I cannot get out of bed in am w/o my pills first! My husband does not no abt this addiction and would probably not be very supportive! I became addicted after a long battle w endometriosis that resulted in a full hysterectomy! Now I'm going through surgery induced menopause and addicted to this devil pill! What a life! I want off this medication but how do I do it when I have a family and children to raise? Any suggestions! Anyone else with a similar story? PLEASE HELP!
Hi there and welcome.  Yup many many many TOOO many have familiar stories.  The answer is:  you just do it.   Trudge through.  How many do you take a day???  Count on being sick for about 5-7 days.  My opinion is it is SO much easier when your partner knows.. I know you think he wont be supportive, but you may be surprised how much he knows already.  Even when I thought I was being super secretive, my partner always knew I had a problem.  When it was time, I was so scared to tell him, I confessed a crying snotty mess and he was just so happy I was finally confronting it.  This is your life.  If you absolutely cannot tell him, then just fein the FLU.  Do as much and a little as you have to.  Many people work full time through withdrawal, take care of the kids, etc. It wont be easy, but it wont kill you either and many have come and done it before you.  You can do this!  There is a lot of mental fright and anxiety beforehand -- dont let that get to you.  Just mush through it girl!  5 days goes by quick.  A small price to pay to get out of the prison of addiction.  Good luck!
Yes I have a similar story Only it took me 8 yrs and alot more precious moments lost with family and friends than you have sacrificed so far.  You can do it !  If you stayed in addiction I promise there would be many days you couldnt get out of bed because you ran out of drugs or are low and cant take enough to get well.  The day my son who has down syndrome said, "mom stop taking poison" was the day I knew I had to stop .He never said anything is his life that clearly , it was like the Holy Spirit took control of his speech!!  I thought the withdrawal monster was enormous!!!  But I did kick his butt. Of course with Gods help and this forum.  How many 10s do you take a day?
Good advice from refusingbondage.....I too have had a complete hysterectomy and post surgical menopause is he!! on its own but those pills really add to the problem.  Once i cleaned up the symptoms got SO much better.  The hot flashes and mood swings really settled down.  You will be pleasantly surprised how much better you will feel.  Time to get a handle on your life.  Now is a perfect time to make that jump.  You will get thru the wd's.  Dont let the fear of the unknown keep you down......We are here for you        sara
Many of us have gone threw it and refusing is right you just do it .It ***** its hard but if we can do it so can you ....you take it day by day ...try to stay as positive as you can .post alot people will help and you can do it .I worked threw WD and moved from our old house to our new one there were times I want to kick my self but looking back I think being that busy made it easier .I did not sleep until the 4th night luckily I had plenty to do ..
I would think about telling your hubby I didn't think mine was going to be very helpful to be honest I was afraid to tell he but I did and he did help me ... Think about it ...you can do this ....
there are LOTS Of moms here with kids of all ages...infants through teens. Myself included. I have two young children. I went through WD MANY times and still took care of them. It was hard, sure and it suckked and there was nothing i could do about it, but you just plug on! Cut corners where you need to (let the vacuuming go for a day or whatever) just do the basic essentials... you will get through this. We endure. You got through labor and delivery didnt ya? that was harder. you can get through this too.  We are here for you!
Thank u all for replying so quickly! I take up to ten hydros 10/650 a day! I have run out of my medication several times but I've never been longer than 2 days w/o it! Those days 2 days were TERRIBLE! I was so sick couldn't get out of bed and when I die it was bc my stomach was so upset and the anxiety and restlessness were AWFUL! And I guess that's why I'm so scared! I no I can't continue down this road of self destruction! I feel guilty and I look @ other momsd and think they do it w/o a pill why can't I?
crofty,
the other thing you need to be watching is you are a cpl thousand over the max amount of Tylenol a day that is very dangerous for your liver trust me when i say you don't want to damage your liver ...I would start tapering down ASAP ....
See that line of thinking crofty,"why can't I"?   You have to stop thinking  and saying I can. Like trouble said, lots of us had kids and sucked it up and did it. If you are tired of addiction we can tell you how to deal with the wds.  Congrats on having the desire to stop!   Dont get on another opiate to deal with your kids. It will only rob you of more time and the wds can be worse. I know methodone and sub withdrawal can be hellish also.  
I just went through it myself.  I  have a 3 month old and a 4 year old.  Trust me it is possible.  I was taking 20-30 10 mg lortabs a day and quit CT 6 days ago.  It does get better.  I promise.  I did tell my hubby and he was more supportive than I thought he would be.  Just get it in your head that you can and will do this and it will happen.

Much Love and Blessings~Mom of M&M
Girl just hang in there! I drudged through too, taking care of my three young sons and a great husband, worked and did my coaching too! But without all these things I wouldn't have made it through either!!! I look at my sons and I know now I wasn't really totally with them even when I was. I wasn't a great coach or a attentive employee like I should have been, but now I can be! My husband is a great support and I finally told him how this medication had such a grip on me! He had no idea the peril I was feeling. I went to my doctor and asked for help, and now with her help, mentally I am re learning to cope with lots of life stuff...It gets better. Hang with us, we'll help you too!