How long can methadone withdrawal go on?
I have been on Methadone for the last 6 years, all starting with 5mg dose all the way up to 120mg per day. I was put on methadone to get me off of percocet that had been perscribed to treat my Migraine headaches. Finally I had enouugh of the Methadone and asked to be taken off of it. I had already tapered myself down to about 60-80mg perday, then went cold, on the third day I hurt so bad I finally went to the hospital and they treated me with Suboxone for 3 days. Starting with 4mg per day and I started feeling better almost immediately so I asked if we could taper the Suboxone. The one thing that really confused me was that even though i had not taken any methadone for 6 days by the time i got out of the hospital I was still coming up positive for methadone in my urine. Now i have been home for 6 days and the withdrawal symptoms have come back hard and I am really suffering. What advice do you have?
How long did it take for your w/d to end?  I was only on 60 mgs of methadone and had been using heroin intravenously before I started the methadone because I wanted to stop using. I recently quit going to the methadone clinic and quit cold turkey. I couldn't stand the withdrawals so I thought if I used heroin for a week, then take suboxone for a few days that I would be ok.  All that did was hide the symptoms for a few days and now I'm on week 5 of withdrawals and it's the worst thing I have EVER had to do. I went to detox and they let me leave after 72 hours and gave me nothing to take at home.  Ended up going to the doctors 2 days later because I couldn't take it anymore. He gave me a different blood pressure med instead of clonidine so I don't have the cold and hot sweats, my blood pressure is usually 105/56 and it was 148/80 when I was on my third week of w/d (higher then it was 5 days before when I was admitted into detox), Xanax xr 3mg which didn't help right away and it took a day or two for me to at least endure the anxiety, but still have anxiety and irratibility where I want to rip my insides out again (klonopin seemed to work the best). I have flexeril for muscle aches and the bone pain is awful, but the vomiting has stopped (taking over the counter meds for that).  I have no energy and when I think I'm starting to feel better, the next day it's like I'm starting from the beginning. The doctor said 6-8 weeks or sometimes it can last 3 months.  I thought 60 mgs of methadone would be easy because when I started I was not on the right dose and was still withdrawaling from Heroin, but didn't want to ask for more because of how long it takes to wean off of it.  Now I have insomnia, I want to sleep so bad but can't and am constantly moving my legs.  I just want this to be over with.  Everyone keeps telling me it will get better, but it seems like this is a NEVER ending nightmare.  Not to mention, nothing right now seems to excite me or make me happy. I made it this far because I left the state and am staying at my parents or I probably would of relapsed.  The withdrawals are what always made me go back to using just so I could function at work.  I just want to know when will I feel somewhat normal and be able to function again?  
When i went to a meth clinit my highest dose was 45mg then started dropping 5mg every 5 or 6 days with no problems got low as 10mg and relasped but my goal was to go down to 1mg for a week and try skipping a day then 2 days and seen what i felt like, i would think the lower you jump off at the easier just my opion.
The bottom line is do you really wanna quit and if that is really important to you then you have to stick to your guns till its over. I'm 5 days into withdraw from 40m l methadone/day for about 2 yrs cold turkey. Make it a game or something you prove to yourself. I'm not being holier then thou. This is not my first try but this is the first time I put 20m l in my pocket and went 5 days. Proveing to myself that I am strong enough to do it with it right there. My plan is to pour it out on day 30 and party my but off. I hope this can be inspiration for others. You can do it. You just have to STOP doing it(any opiate). I went cold turkey 10 yrs ago from 600m l  oxy a day and that was insanely painfull but I did it without a doctor or any alternate drugs. Obviously 8 yrs later I fell back to opiates but quiting is posible. Keep hope just know that you,me,everyone can beat it if you just say "I don't care how bad it gets I'm not going to use" well that's what's keepin me going. Good luck.
And as I'm writeing I'm sleepless,sore,periodically vomiting,extremely irritable and feeling the worst I have in years. Its 1 am and 7 am ill be off to work roofing all day. Its right there on my night stand but I got the control now and so do you! This is a mental thing I believe. If you look beyond the withdraw to your better healthier self the present situation is only temporary. 30 days of hell then the rest of our lives opiate free. Never going through withdraw again. Now that's something to look forward to!
well i have to say reading these posts has helped me alot so to start im now on methadone it will be 2yrs this june and my highest was 75mg a day i tapered 10mg a week til i got to 55mg then stayed there for a month then asked to be tapered 2mg a week til i get to 20mg i am now at 40mg and im trying to eat better drink more water exercise and take a vit. and taper even slower from 20mg i have to say im alittle worried/scared/nervous etc to get down to 0 but i really want it and i am determined ...so please if anyone has a question for me or if anyone has advice please ask and or tell thank u and wish every one the best
Wow!!! Has anyone on here actually gone through this crap????
Hi...my name is AJ and I am an addict...lol.. I jumped off 105 mgs after tapering down over 2months from125mg... Can you imagine feeling like all your bones are splintering, breaking, falling apart inside,,,,,you have a slugs energy whilst feeling so anxious and crazy and twitchy,,,headaches, the *****,,puking,,crying, aching,,just fighting off the neeeeeed for relief from more of this ****??? I am on day 17 and feel like I am getting through it, but not by leaps and bounds..by mental strength and conviction alone...
God bless the junkies...such a hard, self-inflicted and painful life.. I will miss it and dearly...it is a false reality, a dream state kinda existence.
Hey ArJ420,

You can not do methadone this way, though some have done so or forced too, it is insane from my point of view to Jump at high doses even low doses. I was at 120 MG Methadone and 80MG of Percocet.

You need to start taking your methadone and get stable, be carefull on every dose decision you make, and hopefully you can get a doctor to get you stable.

Forget Buprenex, can be even worse. Nope once on Methadone you are in the big leagues.

With Methadone it is actually not so bad to taper in steps, and those steps add up to significant reductions fast. Keep in mind Methadone is different in it's half life and your body see's does adjustment up or down different than when your stable on a dose for about 7 days. Making the drug erratic or messy, your body can change metabolism effectively change your blood levels.

The key is and it easy at the higher amounts to taper at say 5MG every 3 4 or even 7 days until you are ready for one more step, you do this in steps, and their will be a point somewhere lower around 20 or 30 MG where you will have stumbling block and may need to go back up to your last dose amount for a while until you able to cope moving forward.

When lower around at 30MG or so change 5MG  to 2.5 MG steps. Then get oral methadone then start step tapers with .2MG reductions every 3,4 or 7 days as you can tolerate once down around 10 MG. IT takes lots of time and you will have PAWS while being in more slight Acute withdraws as well. Double whammy. When you quit it will still be a rough ride up and down, somedays will be super days, relish them so you can look forward to them again. It cycles and you feel better every cycle is somewhat less and you have to figure out how to deal with cycle of PAWS. There is more, research what I say, I took alka seltzer with Goddies powders for body aches and that helped a lot, did not change the fact I could do little to take care of myself. You need a plan to get your needs and life handled while you give up a part of your life in exchange for your life back.
Buprenex
Woooo....  Be VERY careful, please read this:  Another issue of concern for patients considering beginning any maintenance therapy or switching from one maintenance therapy to another is the transition associated with this switch. Due to buprenorphine's high-affinity to opioid receptors in the brain, care needs to be taken when a patient is transitioning from one drug (e.g., heroin) or medication (e.g., methadone) to buprenorphine. In essence, if an opioid-dependent patient is not in sufficient withdrawal, introduction of buprenorphine may precipitate withdrawal. In lay terms, in a sufficient dose, buprenorphine "pushes" any other opioids off of the receptors, but is itself not always "strong enough" to counteract the withdrawal symptoms this causes. Thus, opioid-dependent patients, in particular those on methadone or another long-acting medication or drug, should be thoroughly honest with their prescribing doctor about their drug use, in particular in the days immediately preceding their induction onto buprenorphine, whether for detoxification or maintenance so not to risk immediate withdrawal. In contrast, in general the transition from buprenorphine or other opioids to methadone is easier, and any discomfort or side-effects are more likely to be easily remedied with dose adjustments.  

That said....  DO NOT Use Buprenorphine AKA: Subutex or Suboxone, if you have ingested methadone in the past week to 10-days, or most other opioid substances in the past 3-5 days or IT WILL PUSH YOU INTO withdrawal like you've never experienced before !!!!!!    CAUTION !!!!!!

From: MoreOnMethadone....  
Mr. MoreOnMethadone,

Where did you get the idea Buprenex, Suboxone of Subutex where being discussed in the context of using them for Methadone treatment or Detox in this thread or my post, my sign in Name is Buprenex.

My quote,

"Forget Buprenex, can be even worse. Nope once on Methadone you are in the big leagues".

In regards your Woooo...to all, your information is old and Buprenex Guidelines have changed in regards Methadone. Yes precipitated withdrawal is a problem but again your time frame is off.

But none of this MATTERS, Buprenex is hard and/or as Evil for most too taper off or quit. It can work for some and only some without complications of withdrawing form Buprenex. You can be the lucky one.

I presented the quick less detailed version of Evidenced Based Guidelines for Methadone Tapering of which I have followed and completed from 120 MG of Methadone of which I was taking for several years without any doctors guiding me, simply followed Evidence Based Tapering Guidelines with all the details of problems you may encounter in the process.

Cut the Buzz words out, read more carefully.
Buprenex
hi im in pain like you I know what will give your life back  Oxycotton
it comes in 20- 40- 60-80 mg u want to start out on 40 or 60 mg 3 times a day
1 every 8 hours you will have to test what mg that will work on you. and  hydrocodone 10 mg 1 every 6 hour that's 4 times a day for break through pain  I know people who are on this .
my medcaid will only pay for 2 -  40 mg its not strong enough im suffering bad..
what gets my goat people who want drugs to get high and dosent even know what pain is
and makes it hard for people how truly need help
I'm on day 5 of a methadone withdrawal... been on methadone for 9 months, never going higher than 50mg.... last weekend just got tired of it, the dirty clinic, the medication, the lifestyle, all of it... dropped to 20 mg for two days, 10 mg on sunday and haven't dosed since... I didn't have any of the sickness lots of people have described on here, I guess I got lucky with that... depression and no energy, now that is another story and i'm always so damned cold!! today the brain zaps have started.. I guess my brain is trying to restart from being drugged for so long... I forced myself to walk the other day felt much better for about 10 mins afterward lol, thinking of going to the gym today to ride the bike and sweat some.. i'll let you know if you are interested to see how that works.. I do take multivitamins everyday and drink green tea everyday but I need to force myself to drink some water, I know that! anyway i'm here with yall!! sticking it through... good luck everybody!!
I sent you a message, this thread is from 07. Start a post for yourself and you'll get more support and advice.
I was addicted to OxyContin and when I realized I had a problem I decides to take action and get help. I went to a methadone clinic and began my recovery. The clinic that I went to starts everyone off at 20mg and then as you continue to go they will boost your dosage by 5mg a visit or 10mg a week. I had only went up to 30mg and stayed there for a few months. When I was ready I asked my doctor to lower my dosage. Each week I would go down. I started going down by 5mg when I hit 10mg I went down by 3 or 2mg. When I got down to 2mg I came off cold turkey. To my surprise I had no bad reaction to any withdrawal symptoms and I felt fine. I finally felt like a real person and not a robot dependent on fuel to keep me going. My advice take your time coming off methadone and only do it if you feel ready. There is a difference between feelings ready and actually being ready. I would go every other day without taking anything so that was kind of my test to see how I would feel. Most of your withdrawal symptoms are really in your head. I know it's something no one wants to hear I have been there and heard it all. But honestly it really is. You just need to think positively, get up and do stuff, go for walks or whatever you need to do. But from my experience it was all worth it to be a human again..
  I was on methadone for about 9 years. At the height I was on 200 mgs.
  per day. You need to taper down to 20 to 30 mgs per day, then stop
  the methadone. Use another narcotic to help with the withdrawals. I used
  oxycodone. After 72 hours of no methadone whatever narcotic you use
  should control the withdrawal symptoms. I haven't had any methadone
  for 28 days. I was never sick after the first 2 days. During this entire
  period I never missed a day of work. I am now starting to taper off of
  the oxycodone. This really worked for me.
Ive been on methadone for over 6 year highest was 85 mg and over the last 4 years ive detoxed  slowly down to 4 mg a day and i feel good with 4 mg but ready to stop altogether . I went 4 days without it cause im so done with going to a clinic but by the 3 rd day i was sick and the 4 th day was to much i took my 4 mg dose that day and still felt like crap after taking it im back taking 4 mg a day.  4 days a week i don't take my dose on the other days ( i skip my dose)  my question is what am i doing wrong to come off this crap
yes moreonmeth it was christmas eve day and i had just took my daily 120mgs of methadone and decided i was gonna stop so i took 8mgs of suboxone and within 45 mins. i was in the worst withdrawl ever,after 6hrs. and 15 10mgs percoset i finally felt normal,make sure you have been on 40mgs.or less of methadone for at least 2 weeks before you try suboxone.
I may have to go to jail in a week and I an in 12mgs of liquid oral methadone a day.. Any predictions on what I may be going thru if I am sentenced?  Thank you for any feedback
This is an old thread.  To ensure that your post is seen, please start your own new thread.  You can do that by clicking on the orange "post a question: button on the top right of the page.
I loved your comment about womaning up & just doing it.  I'm about to go to jail maybe) and stressing B I G  T I M E about just stopping my 12mgs a day cold turkey.  I have to say however that if you aimed to inspire, mission accomplished! Thank you
what......no clinics start anyone at 180 per day. If you have no idea what you are talking about then please don't send a bunch of bs.
I had got to half a pill (5mg) a day and thought What the Hell how bad could  could it be to totally quit?  Well its been 7 weeks and at least I can sleep about every other day about 4 hrs which of course is no fun,but I won't take any pharma for it.
You mentioned this may continue for a year or two? Gasp! Well nothing worth having is easy.
I have been on methadone for eight month was on 180 and quit cold turkey fourteen days ago how much longer with withdraws some one plz help
I was addicted to oxycondone for years.  I went through a 5 year period constantly taking drugs or going to the methadone clinic.  I finally got clean and beat my mental addiction.  About 3 years ago I had a set twins via C-section.  Two months after that I started devolping cyst on my ovaries and the after two months of dealing with that my Doctor put me on percocet.  I took it for 7 months while dealing with cysts forming going away and coming again. I had developed a physical dependence so I went back to the clinic.  I was on 50mg Daily and when i detoxed I went down between 2 and 3mg a week. It took a lttle over 4 months to get down to 1mg.  And the first week was very hard with withdrawl.  I was blessed to be sleeping at least 4 hours a night.  But had no energy and had 4 kids to take care of.  Let me tell you I have no mental addiction so going through this yes i felt bad but I thanked God everyday to allow me to breath and for giving me the strength to do this.  It has been 31 days since I took my last dose.  Dont give up.  With time everything thing gets better. I am not 100 percent but I am getting there and still attending celebrate recovery as I have for the last three years. Those of you who that struggle with the depression and wanting to just make the withdrawl go away it helps to have you mental addiction erradicated before you detox.
Wow, all these post are really good.  It's amazing how long suffering we can be, and we thought kicking Heroin was tough!  Someone posted that when your playing with Methadone your in the Big leagues and that couldn't be said any better.  Methadone is the last ditch effort for any opiate addict, and for me, the most intoxicating when mixed with benzo's and other meds.  I've kicked Methadone and Benzo's together many times and usually it's forced by incarceration.  I am currently 40 days clean and it's 3am and I just woke up after an hour of sleep with goosebumps running up my back and neck, gotta love it, gotta respect it.  I was taking 120mgs a day for the past two years and of course Xanax and clonazepam daily.  I couldn't Do it anymore, so when I got my months script I downed the whole bottle-3600mgs.  I was found 12 hours later still alive, rushed to ER, where I woke straight up when my unconscious mind heard "give him 6.5 of Narcan" Fell back out woke 24hours later on  a Narcan drip that lasted 5 days.  When I was taken off the drip I fell back out- 5 days later, That's Methadone.  I didn't Even start Detoxing until day 8 and the real deal kicked in around day 10.  For me detox is a roller coaster.  Feeling good one minute than super bad the next.  At day ten I was shaking and quivering so much my eyebrows were even trembling.  Reality is, nothing but an opiate is going to take away the pain.  Valium, ativan, clonadine, zefra(stomach) seem to help the detox suck just a little less.  It is what it is and for me I noticed in the past that weening down from  Methadone doesn't help that much.  That's just for me.  I can usually track my symptoms by the amount of sneezing that I do.  My sneezing peeks at 7 in a row than starts to lesson as the days and weeks go by.  When I get to 3 in a row I know i'm on the down slope.  Stomach cramps go away after a week or so, but the cramps in legs and back and chills stay for a good 30- 50 days.
     If I were to give advice to someone planning to detox from Methadone that doesn't know what to expect I would say take a good 30 days off of life.  Plan this out because it's gonna be tough.  If your on 20mgs or 120mgs, it's gonna be rough.  Go to a doctor and be honest or get your A** in a treatment center.  

Suboxone and methadone dont mix well.  The risk of going into precip. WD's is way to high.  I took suboxone 10 days after my last dose 5 years ago and went into unbelievable withdrawl within 15 minutes.  I thought I was sick enough to take it, but boy was I wrong.  If you take sub's to quick you will know within 10-20 minutes and theres no coming back from that one for atleast 15-24 hours-probably more than that. so be warned.

This is all personal experience not something I read.  So if your reading this you know someone that is going through this or your doing the thing and it does get better, than worse, than better, than worse, than better!  So Hang in there guys.  The real test is when were done the detox, right?  We can forget the pain so easily.
I happen to live on the East Coast, in my state they start you at 30mg and woork you up 10 a day until you are stable, never going over a max dose of 220mg, but recently new people are not allowed to past 150mg. I know my clinic is very small but I dont know one person over say 120mg. The next step is to bring you down if you so choose when you are ready, for somw that is right away for others they choose not a detox but methadone matience. I never believed that the clinics wouldnt help you get off ASAP, that is until yesterday. My clinic is not letting me dose until 930am when I see their doctor, because I am detoxing after 2 years. They are now saying the 10% decrease bi-weekly that my counselor suggested is to quick? Its my choice, is it not? He suggested it this way. They may tell me no, and not give me the option, if she says no, and I dont agree the only way I can taper is AMA and that is 5mg a day! Way to fast. So you all are correct and this is not right. What can I do?
Hi ,I am on 5 ml of meth reduced from 100 a day its taken me nearly a year i was given subs and the did not agree with me and i was put back on meth  .I am in hell i feel suicidal and could not sleep how long does this last.I have had some sleep after taking a drug called "lyrica pregabalin" but i am scared the wd will come back I am suffering from GAD and was only sleeping on an off i wake and feel terrified! i think that people that say they just got of it where not on it long! i have been on it 10 yeas and want to go sailing even have a job, but i can't show up with black eyes acting like a nut please help. ***@****

THnaks Nick
Hi ,I am on 5 ml of meth reduced from 100 a day it's taken me nearly a year i was given subs and the did not agree with me and I was put back on meth  .I am in hell I feel suicidal and could not sleep how long does this last. I have had some sleep after taking a drug called Hi ,I am on 5 ml of meth reduced from 100 a day it's taken me nearly a year i was given subs and they did not agree with me and I was put back on meth  .I am in hell I feel suicidal and could not sleep how long does this last. I have had some sleep after taking a drug called lyrica pregabalin but I am scared the wd will come back I am suffering from GAD and was only sleeping on an off i wake and feel terrified I think that people that say they just got of it were not on it long i have been on it 10 years and want to go sailing even have a job but can show up with black eyes acting like a nut please help. ***@**** Thanks Nick
hello all i was put on methadone over 8 years ago for reflex sympathetic dystrophy. the pain clinics never tell you what this medication can do to your life!!! they never tell you that they want u to be on it for life!!
most importantly they don't tell you what it does to ur body!!! anyway i decided to cold turkey almost 3 weeks ago. i can't afford the special clinics so against all advice im doing it alone! i was up to 70 -90 mg a day. the withdrawls and detoxing has been hell!
the symptoms? well, shaking, freezing cold no matter what i do, dizzy, severe insomnia, no food in or it goes right through my system with a vengeance!! and the hallucinations are scary as hell!! its crazy when u are seeing things that nobody else does. u know its not there but yet u still see it!! the odd one is i can't stop sneezing! 4-5 in a row at least every half hour. my heart beats wrong, like fast but skipping beats or adding beats in. so after the first week and a half i decided to try temazepam (already prescribed prior to quitting ) and that helped so much with the heart issues. the next thing i did was get a script for zanaflex a muscle relaxer. with those two things combined it has helped me quite a bit!! im still having the symptoms but no where near what they were! i admit i should be under a Drs watch but the clinic i go to told me i would never be able to do what im doing, so i didn't tell them yet. also, with methadone the withdrawls are more physical than mental. so i flushed all of my meathadone so i couldn't go back!! i guess what im trying to say is if i can do this so can anyone else, but u have to be ready ur self and make up ur mind that ur going to do it no matter what happens!! im not a Dr so im not telling anyone to do this. this is just my personal war i will win!! so to all that are on this demon medication , i wish you all the strength, and courage you need if u want to get off of it because its no easy feat!!! good luck all!!
I was recently on 60 mg of methadone after being weened down from 120 for the past 2 years. So I end up in jail after totalling my truck and catching some DUI and DUS charges, and believe it or not that was the BEST thing that could've happened to me. I had the $ to bond out, but since it was in my back pocket when I got arrested it was stored with my possesions which I couldnt touch til I got released. so I sat in a cell for 21 days before finally going to court and being released, and had no choice but to kick methadone cold turkey. the first week was HELL, no sleep, couldnt eat, crazy thoughts, hot/cold flashes, but around the 5 or 6th day you start feeling better, then its not so bad after that, the first week is the hard part. if you can make it past that first week without going back to the clinic or scoring some dope then you've made it, thats why im glad I was locked up in that cell because I really dont think I could have done it had I had the freedom to dose or score some opiates.
I was in jail withdrawing. Just take anti-nausea
, anti-diarrhea, and ibuprofen for 7 days. After that you are fine physically. Mentally you will always want it. I was down to 90mgs of Methadone and drinking daily. Everyday I struggle, but If you find a new way to deal with the pain and something to do with your time, then you will be fine. I find ease in Goody powders that are in a red pack.With a back and joint pain that helps. Also with a 800mg ibuprofen. I may take tramadol when I can, but it helps. I also make myself take a hot shower and walk or clean once a day and it brings energy out in me.  
Hi all,

I was taking methadone for almost 8 years, start with 5mg and end up to 50mg, then I started to feel that I hate my life, always tired and useless.
so I decided to get off this ****, I did so many research and found out if you reduce your meth 5mg every 14 days you can not fell it at all.
And that was right in last year every 2 weeks I reduce 5 mg and during last week ( 5 days) I didn't take any Methadone !
I feel like I have flu some pain in my legs and can't sleep but not hell, I can easily handle it.
Thanks god I can't believe after 8 years I am not thing this ****.
I believe that Clonidin is a perfect drug to help me now!
Help yourself and enjoy free drug life!
its not easy but its not hard at all, you can do it ! beautiful life just waiting for us !
Sam
I have been using methadone for about 20 yrs have taped down to 5 mg but can't seem to get past the weakness? Any  suggestions?  Will it ever end?  Will I ever be normal again? No one else to talk to!
The best thing to use is clonodine period. sorry for the late post I am getting off methadone and the withdrawls are hell but with clonidine helps about 80%
this is incorrect information. Methadone doses begin @ 20 mg and go up until stabilization occurs. Professionals who are prescribing larger doses to begin are seeking to kill someone.
Hi Brooklyn117 - I have been on methadone for 13 years. I started in the clinic @ 20 ml and increased/decreased over the years while in active addiction. 9 months ago i came into recovery. I was on 50 and I wanted to try suboxone. My doctor said if I could get down to 30 ml we would talk about it, so the next day I refused part of my dose and took 30 for two weeks. Doctor was not in when i returned, so I remained calm (unlike me when I don't get my way) and I went home and went down to 20 for another two weeks. When I finally met with my doctor again, he said I was doing well and I should stick with my plan, just not making such drastic drops in dose. So we agreed that 2 ml decrease a week would be ok every two weeks. I got down to 10 ml and then began 1 ml. Sometimes I stayed at a certain dose for more then two weeks depending on my life in the moment. I was taking methadone in liquid form 1 mg to 1ml tang mixture. I went down to 9 ml finally for a month. Finally, I decided I was done. I requested a script for 1 mls decrease every 3 days and I did very well until 5mls. At the 4ml drop I had the worst night of my life (Thank God it was the night before my clinic visit) I went to my doctor and told him I wanted to stay on 4ml and would like Clonidine and something to sleep. He gave me seroquel 25 but it was not enough, and clonidine helped some. I bought an oral syringe and brought home a 1 week carry for 4 mls a day and I decreased a ml per day down to 2, then I took 1.5. The withdrawal had already set in though so I decided that I would just go off. I returned to the clinic and changed my sleep med to Immovane/Zopiclone. I am day 6 without methadone. Today is the first day that I pushed myself to go out and do something and it took all the energy that I had. I am sleeping every night with the help of the sleep med and taking the clonidine religiously. I am religious in making myself go to meetings because my mind plays tricks on me. Some days I think that I have two options heroin for pain, or time for freedom. I want freedom. If I would do anything different, I would have stopped taking methadone the moment I was awfully ill at 4mls. I think I have prolonged the withdrawal a few days longer then needed. Today, I force myself to stay awake during the day because I crash from time to time. At night I had restless legs for the last few mls, and I was able to get my hands on Dilantin (but I would not suggest taking anything not prescribed). Fight through it and stay strong.It totally gets better. My mind finally feels ok... but my body is tired and sore. Freedom is all I want though, so I stick to my plan to reach this. You can do it :)
When I had a heroin or opiate habit, I used Methadone for 3 days, maybe 4 to kick the habit. It worked great. It was long enough to kick the habit and I mean doing a lot of H for about 5 years, and not long enough to get a methadone habit.
Well, considering that it is a Federal Law that you cannot start a MMT patient on larger than a 40 mg/day dose, that would be incorrect. Actually, to be more specific (I have passed the dispensing certification test btw so I know the American laws and "best practices" very well) Federal Law states that the maximum first dosing can be no higher than 30 mg. Then, after 3-4 hours of observation they can give you another 10 mg if appropriate. Unfortunately, most people--and certainly heroin and other "high potency" opiate addicts--need more than 40 mg/day to be "stabilized. So after day one they can start bumping you up 10 mg/day up to 80 mg (again, if appropriate). Then after that if you're still having "objective" WD symptoms prior to your next dose they can raise you 10 mg per week (though most clinics by their own policy make it every two weeks). Rinse and repeat until stabilized (In theory anyway. Unfortunately in practice many people in the US NEVER get to a dose that will "stabilize" them. With the most common reason being that they are what the medical community refers to as "ultrarapid metabolizers," which make up about 5-8% of the population. But there are many other reasons as well. The UK is MUCH better about this facet of MMT therapy).

And there is definitely NO PLACE IN THE WORLD that would START someone, regardless of what they claim their daily habit is, on 160+ mg of Methadone in a day. They would end up with codeine/vicodin/etc. habits, or just small high-potency opiate habits ("low end opiate addict") patients dropping like flies, and would be sued into bankruptcy and closure in no time flat.

To answer the original question. Duration of WDs can and will vary wildly depending on many factors. However, a "cold-turkey" withdrawal from Methadone will last at least 4-6 weeks in the "acute" and "semi-acute" stages (i.e. full-blown WDs, with very "objective" symptoms, recognizable by anyone well trained in opiates, opiate treatment, and "opioid abstinence syndrome" [better known as withdrawal]). Any objective WD symptoms will certainly be over by the 3 month mark though, regardless of dosage and duration of use prior to going cold-turkey.

Unfortunately, that was the good news. The bad news is that "post-acute" withdrawal symptoms, of the "subjective" variety (i.e. cravings, general malaise, anxiety, insomnia, irritability, depression, and more besides...) can last up to and even beyond 6-8 months. Again, depending on dosage and duration of use prior to "jumping off"/suddenly discontinuing use. And if it is being used for addiction treatment (MMT) then you are also looking at relapse rates to the previous drug(s) of choice (heroin, oxycontin, oxymorphone, morphine, etc.) that exceed 90%+ within 5 years in every study ever done on the subject.

That doesn't mean you can't succeed though. That you can't "beat the odds," and you shouldn't think of it that way in any case. Every individual is different. However, it definitely IS something to keep in mind if/when contemplating attempting to get out of the MMT "ball-and-chain" (which it can feel like due to the strict requirements, the power the clinic holds over your life, and being "tied" to the place by having to go there every day to get your daily dose (or less frequently if you've been a long-time client who has proven to be trustworthy and serious about their recovery and following the rules...but "less frequently" is still at least a couple times a month. And that's if you've been a model client for like 5+ years with not so much as an inability to pee one day, or any other of even the minor of "infractions." It is VERY easy to lose all your "carries" and have to start from scratch at square one again, and VERY hard to earn those carries to begin with. The end result of all this is that the vast majority of MMT patients must go to the clinic every day (except Sundays, when most are closed) to get their dose. It IS a rough gig...but not nearly as "rough" as an active heroin addiction that's for sure.

Good luck in whatever you do everyone!
Regards,
Curtis

Good luck in whatever you do everyone!
Regards,
Curtis
I doubt anyone that is in opiate withdrawal could exercise, or even get out of bed for long. I can definitely say that the faster your metabolism, the more withdrawal you will experience, so exercise might not be right just yet. As for tea or antioxidants, they won't hurt, but they won't help. Withdrawl is not caused by the toxins in your body, but the lACK of opiates in your body.
No one starts st a high dose of Methadone and tapers down. Its done the other way around. It would be dangerous and un ethical to start with such a high dose, because overdose is very possible. They start with five milligrams, and go up until the patient is comfortable. They do not suggest that people go off of Methadone, because its too common for people to simply start using illegal drugs again. You have some very different information then people in the United Staes do. Are you American?
No, he is right. Such a high dose is impossible, and duchess is saying some very incorrect and dangerous things.
I realize you made your posts a long time ago, but since I am currently going through methadone withdrawls, I hope you stuck with it :) I just reached my 1 month mark today. I stopped cold turkey from 65 milligrams liquid dosing a day at a clinic here in VA. I had been taking methadone for 3-4 years before I got tired of spending hard earned money on the clinic. The first 7 days that I quit, I did it in a 7 day detox program at the hospital, but I didnt even start to really feel the symptoms until day 4. My worst symptoms actually hit me around me 7th day and lasted for a few days. Like I said, I just hit 1 month today and the only symptoms I really have now are extremely weak/no motivation/no energy, and insomnia. They prescribed me Trazadone to aid with the sleep. It helps a little, but its not a miracle worker. Even though I am not 100%, I am so much better than I was. I do not reccomend anyone quit cold turkey because if I had to do it again I would have tapered down, but im also proud of myself for what I've done cause it was hell at first. My biggest thing now is I just want my energy back. I want to go outside or to the store without it being a huge struggle, but idk how to do that other than to give it some more time. I know some people said it took them 3-6 months before they had their energy back, which scares me a little, but im trying to take it one day at a time (sometimes that's easier said than done though). This has been the biggest and hardest fight of my life, but for anyone going through it... You CAN do this! Sometimes hearing someone else's success story is all you need to make your own success story :)
Wow so many people are beating that crap. Good luck everyone been just over 4 years now everything in my life is wayyyyy better lol getting married have a house. You can do it. Just get tough get angry and say NO. Get you're emotions back :)
Methadone is the worst opiate to withdraw from heroin is the easiest to withdraw from and the best thing for the withdrawal symptoms is valium and pregabalin
Up until 1 week ago I had been on methadone for 19 years, I was honestly too scared to detox. Highest dose 145mgs. Waked away at 100 & LITERALLY WANTED TO JUST DIE.Went back and started at 30mgs, actually felt better since I went 1 week without. After staying there for 4 months I decided to finish, jumped down 3mgs until I got to  10mgs. Then went by 2's every 2 days until I got to 6 then I went down 1mg at a time. Due to a trip I was unable to find a clinic that would finish, I walked away at 2mgs and feel pretty good. I still have stomach issues though, how long will that last ??
well a big congrats !!!!! it took more then just courage to break a 19yr habit...I was on it at 150 for almost 7rs and the detox almost killed me...i was dope sick for 90 days!!!!  you try to be dope sick for 90 days....anyway it is going to take some resolve and perseverance to break a 19yr habit  it has saturated your bones and fatty tissues...your the second longest one since oct of 2009 ( ive helped and been tracking since then)  the 2 biggest factors for me was  no sleep (at all for a month)  then it came back slowly over the next 90 days  and what I call the ''energy crash''....  I bearlly had enough energy to get up off the couch to go to the bathroom...it was trully the most horable part...my wife did her own research and we stated walking 15 min a day at first  after a week we went to 20min 30 min and so on...it helped alot once we where at a 1/2 hour...  the detox seamed hopeless ...I remember telling my substance counselor that I should be doing a lot better at 60 days then I was.... the only way to do this wrong is to try to do it yourself  your MUST HAVE outside support...The N/A progam is what I recamend ...the meetings are only a hour long and for the first time the people will understand what your going threw and offer unconditional support  you dont have to do this alone I went to a lot of meetings 90 meeting in 90 days now I hit 3 a week but the one thing this progam offers that none of the other kinds of aftercare offer is with time you will loose the very desire to use...for this addict that was HUGE  I seen a substance abuse conslor for almost 3 yrs and just thought that desire was something I would have to live with becaused I used for 35yrs...NOT TRUE!!!!!...by going to meetings getting a sponcer and working the steps with time you will lose the very desire to be high...right now it is going to take a few days for the withdrawal to hit...you have a lot of ''residual free floating''  methadone in your system...I know I did after 7yrs of use...time using is the biggest factor in recovery time so your the second highest I have helped....for now use the forum for support when it hits you will know it...usually when you start having trouble sleeping it starts  just know it takes about 10days to 2 weeks for the phyical part to run it cource  again time used is the most critical part of the equasin the next biggest factor is how high of dose..any thing over 80mg is a high dose  then you age also plays a big part  I was on 150 for almost 7yrs and was 47yrs old when I detoxed so the cards where stacked agenst me...just know with time you do get over it eventually  I can offer support and help to you  I prefer to use the open forum so we can help allthose closit methadone people get help also...however a lot of people prefer to use the messanger for private reason  I will do what works best for you...over the years I have helped a lot of people off this drug and I have first had knowlege on just how difficult this can be...but im here to say you will get over it...you dont realize just what this crap has been doing to you until your off it ...the realalty sets in...please post back to me  I got to head to work until 7 tonight arizona time  I will post back to you later when im off work............google N/A in your area and get to a meeting it will really help....Gnarly
Keep strong pray god hot baths keep active its hard perhaps sleeping tablets may help XXX