Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
How long can methadone withdrawal go on?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I have been on Methadone for the last 6 years, all starting with 5mg dose all the way up to 120mg per day. I was put on methadone to get me off of percocet that had been perscribed to treat my Migraine headaches. Finally I had enouugh of the Methadone and asked to be taken off of it. I had already tapered myself down to about 60-80mg perday, then went cold, on the third day I hurt so bad I finally went to the hospital and they treated me with Suboxone for 3 days. Starting with 4mg per day and I started feeling better almost immediately so I asked if we could taper the Suboxone. The one thing that really confused me was that even though i had not taken any methadone for 6 days by the time i got out of the hospital I was still coming up positive for methadone in my urine. Now i have been home for 6 days and the withdrawal symptoms have come back hard and I am really suffering. What advice do you have?
morning and welcome....
I dont know much about meth other than its a pain in the ass to come off

All I can suggest is that you change the way you eat, dirnk alot of water and juices, green teas, alot of vitamins and supplements...and a multi vitamin

All of this helps but takes a while fo ryour body to adjust without or a taper......
Exercise helps too get the body moving again....get it used to doing things slowly..babysteps..

Hang in there..and someone will be around evenutally taht has more information on meth...I havent done it so I dont relaly know..

C
well they sure did that backward. Methadone is supposed to start at around 160-180 mg per day( unless you live on the east coast you can start at as much as 300mg/day) then taper down over the course of one to 3 years. Most methadone patients are on the plan for over 10 years because they are not really encouraged to come down b/c the methadone clinics want their money. Many patients have to take the initiative to speak with their counselors at the clinic to set a plan to wean off properly. Coming down about 3 mg per month is about the right pace to go. Withdrawal from any opiate is hell! low doses of xanax or valium usually help but benzos are a bad way to go unless ur just taking them for a week or two after you've been weaned off the opiate. A little known fact is that xanax withdrawal is much more dangerous than even heroin withdrawal. In the healthiest of people it can cause major seizures and stroke for starters. I have found that 500mg of naproxen really helps with hydrocodone withdrawal for me. Many people also use somas for opiate withdrawal.Stopping methadone at 60mg is dangerous and very hard on your body. If you don't have anything you can take today, get some aleve, it's naproxen just not in the amount that a perscription would be, so take however many aleve add up to anywhere from 250mg to 500 mg depending on how your body responds to naproxen. ( if each aleve is 100 mg taking 5 is the same exact thing as taking a 500mg naproxen. It is the exact same drug just a lesser dosage per pill since it is over the counter) I really hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything. Going to your doctor and working out a plan to take you from 60mg or so a methadone and gradually bring you down (like the program was SUPPOSED to do) would be the best course of action for you. If the naproxen doesnt help take a vicodin or darvocet, tylenol4, lortab, any opiate you have to keep the withdrawal at bay and see your doctor asap
The only reason I can think of is that meth as well as suboxone have a long half life and stay inside quite a bit longer.  They hang around and w/d usually don't start until quite a bit later (sadly).  There is a great post about tapering suboxone (and I imagine can be used w/ meth as well).  It is in the reply column and is called  "be careful of suboxone"  i think.  I will go back and look and get the correct thread.
I wish you the best of luck and just remember that it will go away and get better soon.  Are you taking anything while at home?  Tapering with anything?  Just wondering b/c that post did state that even w/d of 2mg of Suboxone can be HORRIBLE.  
I am currently on Suboxone so found it all quite interesting.  Let us know how you continue to do.  

Love, M
oxybliss is definitely right!! exercise and running help your body sweat out toxins and more importantly release endorphins which is what your body is lacking right now. endorphins bind to your opiate receptors which are going nuts b/c you arent taking opiates which is causing the withdrawal. The green teas are packed with anti-oxidants which neutralize toxins in your body so you can excrete them healthfully.
You sound like you have quite a bit of medical background....you said your mom is a medical attormey....are you a doctor?  You sound like you really know what you are talking about!!!!!! Thanks for being here and helping. I also have a really dumb ??? Is there caffeine in green tea?  My son loves it and I don't want him drinking too much caffeine....he has an arrythmia! (Sorrry off the subject but thought I'd ask anyway!)
marcie:)
If your interested, it is called methadone detox and it is on page 3.  Anchorman10 replied and all he/she has to say is very interesting (at least to me).  I wish you the best of luck whichever way you go.

best wishes, M
that's not a dumb question at all that's actually a great question because unfortunately green tea has about 30 mg. of caffeine (a cup of coffee has 5 times that amount) And even more unfortunately the decaffeination process takes out most of the major health benefits of green tea :(
Go to Google and type in The Thomas Recipe for Opiate Withdrawal and read it then start it asap, this is the safest and healthiest way that I have found and followed myself. I am 39 yrs. old and have been on Methadone since 1999 and it was a nightmare! The worst part for me when I tried "cold turkey" was the sleeplessness and my mental state because everything (reality) seemed so surreal and frightening.   Then I found the "T" recipe and it made all the difference! So, hang in there and follow religiously! I wish you all the success. From: Lasherslaugh.
Suboxone is only good for methadone withdrawals if your methadone dose is below 20 milligrams.
I'm not sure what will happen to you if you keep going as I've never talked to anyone who switched from such a high dose and actually made it past a day or two.

I would guess if you could stick it out you'd be okay in about a week tops (but not sure!)

It takes about two weeks for the worst withdrawals to pass.

(I'd guess the hospital was an easy low stress environment, which is why you didn't feel the withdrawals to badly. Were they giving you anything else?)

I'd suggest not using the suboxone for more than a month or three...I hear it can be almost as hard to get off of for some if you stay on it long term.

I'd try the clonidine taper to help, or perhaps a neurotonin. But I'm not sure what you should do if you wish to stay on suboxone. If you seek help, they will probably suggest gonig back on methadone and tapering down to 20 milligrams before trying suboxone again.
I have been on Methadone for the past 2 years and at tops was taking 80mg per day. I have always been into living healthy due to my medical condition. Daily I take a multi vitamin twice as well as a super B complex. I also made sure my body got all the carbs, proteins, and fats that it needed to heal any damage I was doing to my muscle tissue because of not being able to feel when I was over exerting due to the methadones pain killing effects. The past couple days I tapered down to 25mg and am now out of the medicine due to my doctor refusing to fill it regardless of known facts that I throw up my medicine due to the condition I have and end up having to take more. Anyways my question is if I have taken care of myself during the entire time will the withdrawal syptoms (symptoms) be as bad as some posts I have read. I am thinking of using the Thomas recipe to help. Any advice or info would be great. Thanks.
ZDragon
Why did you taper to 25mg from 80mg?

I am on methadone and you need to come off slowly, just as Duchess Golden has said. You're going to have withdrawals and chances are, if you just came down suddenly you won't start feeling them for about 2-4 days since methadone has a long half-life.

If they get very bad you should try taking some of the smaller dose opiates that DG stated earlier in this thread and definitely see your doctor. That's a bit of a jump and it will be quite difficult.

DuchessGolden:

You sound very wise and knowledgeable about opiates. It's a breath of fresh air for this place.
My comment is I have been on the methadone program for 17yrs. I started out on 60mgs then I went up to 80mgs. I am know on 10mgs., but my clinic has change the form of medication. I was taking dolophine and was just fine, now they are dispensing the cherry and its horrible. I have been feeling like ****. what should I do? should I just wait it out or just come off. I wake up with anxiety as well as throwing up my guts, its just horrible....
I have seen studies that indicate that there is no appreciable difference in c/t from 1mg to 10mg........and from 6mg to 60mg - -   and I do hear you dutchess......I c/t'd 120mg methadone. It can be done.
i have been on methadone for 15 year's i have come to the conclusion i want to quite i have read evaery thing there is to read on withdrawl (withdrawal)'s in my case there's no easy way about it i have recently have went from 250 mg a day down to 20 or 30 i take just enough to keep my stomach in  control i really don't feel bad now but trying to achieve this other 20 or 30 mg is hard to even think about i have thought about saboxon but i had read that suboxon is only good if your on low doses of methadon and the way i see it why substatute one with another and my doctor at the clinic say's i would have to be off methadone for three day's to keep from going in bad withdrawl (withdrawal)'s but the way i see it if i could do without for three day's i would probaly be in a bad way.it just seem's that this last few mg'sis going to be the toughest.the way i have understood anything over a 100 mg's your body stores and i have come to take that as a fact because at 250 mg i still wanted more the doctor always ask me if i was getting drowse when i ask for a increase i have never had that affect but again i have seen people on as little as 50 mg's haveing the nod's none of it really makes since each person is different so there for every one has different situations but i can say it's a mind over matter thing wilpower and prayer is your best alternative i think you can do whatever you put your mind to but you don't have to be sick as a dog while you do it so if the rest of my journey don't get no worse than it has been i think anyone can achieve there goal if that's what thay really want but i guess i have said enough and i hope everyone the best and good luck
Oh my god im living in hell. I am 27 yrs old i have lupus w/ nephrotic syndrome, DJD,osteoporosis and osteonicrosis. two years ago i was put on the fentynal patches. for the past 6 months ive been trying to get of them. i was at 175mcg q every 48hrs. by 30 hrs i would already start to have withdrawls before it was time to change my patches. i desperatly wanted off this toxin. the only thing that anyone wanted to do for me was put me on suboxone. so i went to see a doc on tuesday 5/5/09. i took my 175mcg patches off at 7pm on monday the 4th. he sent me home with a script of suboxone. to take 2 8mg sub pills at 7pm on tuesday. i called them to see if i could take it earlier cause the withdrawls were getting really bad. they said yes, so at 5:30pm on tues i took two 8mg sub. by about 7pm i was in the bath tub trying to console my withdrawls and was literally loosing my mind. i beat my head up against the tub to try and knock myself out. i also bit the **** out of my arm because it felt better than what i was going through. so eventually i dialed 911 and was rushed to the hospital and apparently the wonderful suboxone wasnt working like promised. when i got there all they did was shoot me up with lots of atavain, that caused me to crawl out my skin and sent me home. i took another 4mg of sub that night and it seemed to be ok except for the fact i couldnt sleep for **** and the hot and cold flashes were unbearable. today is friday 5/8/09 i still cant sleep, the sweats are insaine and my attitude *****. i have vailum and xanax to take but they give me acidic type nightmares. im starting to think that this is not the right medicine (the suboxone) for me but i dont know of any alternative. im scared to death of the withdrawls i might face again. my doc talks about putting me in the hospital to detox by using a combination of steriods, vailum, atavain. and im sorry but isnt that what their doing now and i feel like ****. i want more than anything in life to just be normal again the way i was before the toxic patches i was on. please tell my story and give or ask for advice for me i am desperate. thank you all for listening. Liz in Louisiana.
Methadone could test positive even at 10 days. It does have to with a long half life and I have heard it accumaltes in body tissues. I am not clear on that. Buprenex-which is what you had has been a big dissapointment for me. Others have made it work. Buprenex has a long half life as well and you felt okay until the half life went down which took DAYS, 3 days sound about right where you would feel withdrawls escalate. I had the the same expirence I think as you have. I had buprenex given for almost a week and left the clinic feeling quite well. High on and looking back and after learning I was just high on Buprenex which did feel good and normal. The longer we are on drugs the longer and harder it is to adjust to no drugs. The body in any event takes time,not daays but weeks and months all depending on variables. I believe I just got addcited to Buprenex in that first week or if that did not occur then I was still addicted or in withdrawls that where managed by the Buprenex and I went straight into withdrawls after a few days of leaving. You need help I think you could consider going back on Buprenex and do a longer short term taper dose schedule. Talk to a Buprenex doctor to see what you think of doing that. I am not very big on Buprenex but i do not see a better course for you from what I know. Which is a lot.
Also 60 MG jump from Methadone is way to high to jump from and in my opinion is almost like comiting suicide without knowing you where going too. You are in incredible SUFFERING as you descirbed it. I know and see that. So that is why I say get back Buprenex-Suboxone as fast as you can, and plan a strategy very early on to get off in a fast but more less drastic taper. I thing you thought I feel great, get me off Buprenex and I will have esacaped the pain of w/d and I am back to normal. You could taste it and you overestimated what Buprenex can do.  
I think you where overlooked becaus you needED to start a new post, you started a question in the answer part of someone elses ?. I hope and am thinking Subxone put you into withdrawls and it can do that if taken too early. I have taken it early and late and have had troubles with precipated w.d. I think you body had adjusted to Buprenex as it stay for days and you came back from the Hospital and took one more tablet which has helped. Just not enough. If it is getting better then I would continue with your Sub tabs, slowly increase the dose as you feel better. Just hope you do think no one cares, I think most did not see your ? in the answer part of someone elses ?. POST AND LET ME KNOW YOU ARE ALLRIGHT.
ya that definatly sounds like you were in percipitated withdrawl (withdrawal) i had the same problem this last time i took my first dose too early and experinced the worst withdrawls ive ever had! yea and sorry for the late reply you have to keep in mind also its mothers day so there arnt as many people on here as normal! good luck! hope your feeling better
You are dispensing terrible information. It would be incredibly unlikely to be initiated on a methadone dosage of 300mg/daily from nothing as this would most likely result in respiratory depression, coma and death. In fact, stopping a dosage of 80mg/daily for several days and then resuming that dose could result in respiratory depression. This is why methadone is so closely monitored to prevent accidental overdose. Withdrawal from opiates (methadone included) is NOT dangerous, even though you feel terrible. Taking Naproxen, an analgesic NSAID with no opioid component, would be a poor decision as this would not eliminate the withdrawal symptoms. If you are not tolerating methadone withdrawal, go see a doctor. They may consider starting you on clonidine, oxezapam (a benzo) and Imodium (immodium), only for the duration of the withdrawal.
Kind of harsh - not my business I guess. Wouldn't the starting dose be dependent on what you're on? I mean it somebody's doing a gram of IV heroin every 4 hours and goes on methadone, they're going to start on a pretty high dose of methadone I would think. Anyway, I think treating a percocet addiction with methadone was huge overkill to begin with. My advice would be to stick on the suboxone since that helped with the methadone withdrawals, then taper taper taper, and finally wean off of it.
it's been 30 days since my last trip to the clinic. gone cold turkey at 70mg. it's been the most horrible time in my life!!! by the 3rd. day just wanted to hang myself, the pains in my legs was so bad. starting on the four day got ahold of  some valium 10, took those for 5days just so i could get some kind of sleep( 4hrs. aday if lucky!!). buy the 2nd. wk had 2 use herion 4 3days, then a friend turned me on to some suboxone. took half a pill 4 a wk 2mg. then some more herion 4 2days. now am finally feel half way normal, still have some pain in my legs but can tolerate it. havent used **** since then, feel like my life is finally get back on track. 20yrs. i was a junkie. it's a beautiful thing to look at your kids with no more shame in your eyes!!!  alot of prayer also part of my journey though the valley of shadow of methadone!!!!!!!!!!!!!      by the way i was on the program a little shy of 5yrs.   i wont need advise anyone to get on this **** ever!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have been on methadone four 6 years 80mls on a daily basis , i have spent the past 6 months tapering down but i didnt allow my body to adjust i dropped from 80 to 60 in one go an 5mls aweek there after , i got down to 8 mls (coz at 20mls i changed from dropping 5mls to 2mls a week ) at 16mls i dropped to 8mls and from that to 4mls within a day, two days later i dropped all of it im now 6 days into it and i cannot sleep my legs hurt but not as bad as the first few days  but it hsnt stopped there i am very tired (due to lack of sleep ) and i have no will power i try to move around but my body just  will not let me d too much this whole experience is taking its toll on me as it playing on my mind alot and is depressing me coz because rite now i do not see an end i hope for it all to be over i just want to experience life like have not done in so long  it is worth it an at times that is hard to see that ! i have tried taking sleeping tablets but to no avail but sheer will power and determination will pull me thru i have done this mostly alone and sympathy for my own affliction is not wat im looking for i just want others to know it can be done and it does take time just stick with it ,all the pain is normal due to ur body forcing it out and try not to think too much much coz the last thing u need is regrets and for watever reason u have been on methadone for really does not matter now wats done is done now u can just try and deal with it ! i wish u all the best and good luck x
hi and welcome to the forum...you found an old post ...you'll get more responses going to the top of the page where it saize post a question ..(green box) and start a new thread but I look for the ones on methadone...sounds like you got anxious in the end and quick tapered off....I think thats why your feeling so bad but your into it a couple of days now so no turning back now ...you should be past the physical aches and pains in a few more days...I came off 150ml and was on it 6 1/2yrs it took me a good 7 day week to get past the physical part it may take you a bit longer because of the fast taper but you will start to feel better sooner or later..it takes 2 weeks for some but eventualy it will be just the mental part you will have to grind out...the sleep thing is one of the hardest aspects to deal with it comes back slowly sleeping pills will get you to sleep but wont keep you there ...I tryed them and would wake  up at 3 in the morning once I was up I was up for the day...the mental mind screw is hard to deal with but try to keep a positive attitude it helps ...I know right now all looks hopeless to you but it does get better as time goes by...each week you get you will feel a bit better then once you hit a month things start to improve a lot ..I just want to incorage you to stick it out in the end it is so so worth it...I did what your doing 159days ago and have no regrets life is finely getting back to normal now I wish you the best of luck and God bless....Gnarly        
Well methadone will show up for sometime, Did they put u onto a suboxone program?, you will go in like daily pick that up like methadone. Any Doc putting you on methadone for Pills should be shot, like mine should, its harder than heroin to detox off..I am down to 14mg.... but each 1mg is like ripping teeth out. Glad your on suboxone though, for me i dont want to go onto anything else, and see how i go without first. My Gp keeps trying to get me onto it though. Give yourself some time on the Subxone too its a different drug and only 1/4 of an opiate compared to  afull opiate like methadone. A month to stablise would be good for you.... if you still feel the same try 6mg..Suboxone..Just try be patient i know its hard and keep busy
40yr OLDJUNKIE  10yrs for me now, and it's finally i think turning on me...... Cant say its all been bad...Last year though has.!  If it gets to bad i will try the SUboxone !
hang in there irishlass00 im going through the samething. i cut off all contact w/ my old friends 4 yrs ago and havent looked back. been tough but doing it alone or with a support group is best way for that. i was "too proud" to go to na now paying for it cause i dont really know anybody healthy anymore. i was on 130 mgs for 4 yrs got a great job then they took my carry homes away . i had already started tapering but i started going down 5mg a week. at bout 50mg i really started to feel it. getting clumsy, tremors loss of sleep, then it got worse but it was never the physical stuff that got me it was the mental wd's. depression, anxiety around peepz i dont know. thoughts of suicide at times cause yer so wired and so tired. u want to sleep but u cant stop moving. yet u dont wanna go anywhere. lots of counless nights staring at the├║ceiling and playing vids.anyway its been 7 weeks since my last dose and ican see some light. the good times are happening more frequently. but i am still depressed  alot of times but it can take up to a year for your chemical levels in your brain to start getting back to normal, 2 at the very least to fully recover. a guy told me man yer like a soldier from iraq u been living a crazy lifestyle and when u get back to reality u dont know what to do with yourself. the lilest things will **** u off or make u cry u know? the only thing i can tell u is staying busy and out of truble is the only way to stay clean. theres no miracle drug. im curious how long for some of u before the depression nervousness go away? also heard the mental cravings never go away is this true?
HI and welcome to the forum....you posted on a old post but I look for the ones on methadone its best to go to the top of the page and start a new post...theres a green box that says ask a question start there...anyway I detoxed off 150ml of methadone 216 days ago....it take a wile to start to feel better but it dident take a yr..you will notice improvements at 30 60 and then at 90 days things started to turn around for me
the sleep thing can be pritty ruff to get past  try a hot bath right b/4 bed it helps
as for being wired ...it takes some getting use to but once your off the stuff life come at you at 100 mile an hr and in tec/na/color you dont realize just what a fog that stuff puts you under till your not on it...as for the depression its different for everyone if after 90 days its still an issue you may need to go on antidepressant for a wile so see your doctor...there is no hard time line for when you will feel better I found methadone to be very cyclic you will feel better then bam your down again with symptoms try not to get discouraged as time goes by you will slowly get better...hook up with some sort of aftercare like N/Aor A/A  if thats not a good fit try a drug consolor od an addiction therapist but with methadone the post withdrawal can go on a wile and your going to need all the help you can get...keep posting but start out at the top of the screen these old post tend to get lost...where all here for your support good luck and God bless......Gnarly    
i'm now on day 10 of kicking methadone 45 milligrams after a year, i got put in jail 10 days ago just got released. kicking in jail is terrible let me tell you especially in a hard core one like the LA twin towers where if you act up twitching or anything your gonna get takin in the shower and get the crap beaten out of you not only that but its freezing in there and you know how the goosebumps are with withdrawals (in my opinion its the worst part). in jail i noticed drinking coffee and having good conversations with people and staying posetive is key.  i've found its mostly in your head. think of yourself as a strong person (which you are) and as a hero for taking the challenge of the withdrawal. i'm now at day 11 and i feel great besides the chills, it's mostly in your head and thinking posetive IS KEY. trust me people exorsize think posetive eat healthy and talk with posetive people and don't psyche yourself out and you'll be just fine. although your legs will hurt push yourself to excorsize it will help. best of luck STAY STRONG.
HI congrats on 10 days....kicking in jail must have su cked bot you got to do what you got to do....now that your out what are your plans for staying clean  ?? for most people successful at this working a program like N/A or A/A really help out with the mental end of this
I agree a positive attitude will help out emencly but you need help with things like cravings
and learning how to go threw life without the help of a pill...our best thinking got us here
it takes help to learn the skills and tools to stay clean.....getting clean is the ez part staying that way takes work....I wish you the best of luck in your recovery plug in somewhere
and you will be successful .....Gnarly
I've just done a double-detox from methadone (60ml), diazepam (10mg) and am well into secondary withdrawal (my back feels like its gonna ****** break!). Methadone IS (in my opinion) MORE addictive then heroin, it has a long half-life, is longer acting and after continued usage binds itself to your bones especially the spine. If you are reading this and are on the gear and are thinking of getting a methadone script STOP, THINK! Subutex (buprenorphine) or increasingly from what i hear from my sceptic tanks Subuxone (buprenorphine with naloxone) is a much safer, smarter and a much less painful (in the long run) option! I am on my 4th day without opiates or benzo's. I have had to make a concession with regards to my back pain (the muscles violently spasm locking the spine into a vice like grip in an attempt to protect the kidneys); i'm taking co-codamol (paracetamol with a small amount of codeine) to manage that. Take lofexidine for the last 10 days of detoxification, it is a non-opioid medication that is used primarily to control blood-pressure (diabeties etc) and secondarily as a liquid cosh on "difficult" prisoners. It just so happens that this undoubtedly nasty yet non-addictive drug blocks the noradrenaline gland whose overproduction of noradrenaline following discontinuation of opiates is the main cause of those hellish withdrawals. I would suggest taking no more than 6 0.2mg tablets in a day (although the state sanctioned drug dealer also known as a doctor) will tell you its OK to take a maximum of 12. Lofexidine causes you're blood-pressure to drop and can if used for more than 10 days knock your heart out of sync! So take it easy! Take ibuprofen and paracetomol or aspirin every 4 hours, take quinine at night for the cramps but do not be tempted to take it in the daytime as although herbal is toxic; it is given in Africa to those suffering from symptoms associated with Malaria. Eat well (easier said than done when your rattling i know) and replenish your fluids as you need to sweat that shite out. Start exercising as soon as you feel strong enough, you need to get your brain producing endorphins again. Regular masturbation can help with this also. Do not expect to get any sleep, if you accept it it becomes easier to deal with. Most importantly stay positive and focused. If you are otherwise (apart from being a junkie) healthy and have a roof over your head for the duration of the cluck you should be alright (as long as you are determined) in 2 months; 3 weeks of which will be agony (acute withdrawals) after which symptoms will generally subside but you will still be suffering (secondary withdrawals). Remember even when you feel you have nothing left inside, there's usually a little bit more. And that little bit is what gets people through **** like this. Believe in yourself and ask your Higher Power to guide you. Reach out to your loved ones for their support. Peace. Forward.... Into The Struggle.  
I have been on methadone for a year never going over 20 mg a day. I got myself.down to about 2-4mg per day and stopped cold turkey. The withdrawls were miserable by the third day. I tried to tell my pcp about it however he was not concerned he just stated "you should not have painful withdrawl (withdrawal) from such low dose" but I beg to defer. So I took a dose of methadone to curve the withdrawls and went back down to my 2-4 mg a day. I'm desperate to get off but my doctor is cutting me off and will not prescribe any meds for the process to be any easier on me. I tried talking with him about atleast two weeks of suboxone to help with the symptoms I'm having. I feel like I am so close to my goal of being off methadone. However quiting cold turkey even off of a low dose is a nightmare. everyone out there good luck I wish you the best it has been a tough road for all of us. I ended up on it for chronic pain due to a horrific car accident at the time seemed like a good idea to just take what my Dr perscribed it gave me a life at the time but ultimatly took it away because quitting is the toughest part.
hey dude the initial withdrawal last only about a 7 day week with some symptoms lingering into 2 weeks if you can get past that your threw the worst of it physically the post withdrawal is another story it takes a good month of no sleep and the energy crash and depending on dose and leth of use it can go on a couple of months going on sub for 2 weeks will do no more then postpone your methadone withdrawals if you do sub do it for 90 days and that will get you around the methadone withdrawals the only ketch is you have to face off with sub withdrawals witch can be very mild or 2 weeks of hell you just dont know till you try it to me the 90 day sub route is worth the chance it sure beets 90 days of methadone withdrawals....I help a lot of people off this drug I was on it for 6 1/2 yrs myself and it took 90 days to start to feel better once I quit if you need help or someone to talk to or answer questions for you I will be happy to help  just know ether way just jumping or going with sub for 90 days it is doable ether way I just tuffed it out wasent any fun but today in only a couple days shy of 2yr clean dont give up you can do this good luck and God bless......Gnarly  
my mother has had 46 surguries on her stomach was taking percs. for pre and post op. on and off for six years.  Her doctor put her methadone 10 to 20mg everyday for 8 mons.  She herself went off them by taking 10mg every other day and then stopped has not had any in 10 days.  Is taking 1mg of xanex to help she didn't know she was in trouble, how long would you expect the withdrawral to last would the aleve help.    Thank you very much
I'm coming off a fast taper. I had been on 130 when I was pregnant. After I went to100mg. Then I was cut 25% for a dirty UA for benzo. My clinic does not allow u to be on any benzo even if u have a script for. It. (Is that common?) 78mgs a day then and forced to go down 2mgs a day. I'm down to 26mgs now. Will I start to feel even more withdrawl (withdrawal) when I'm completly done?? Also, no one has recomended colnidine/catapris patch for withdrawl (withdrawal). I don't get it but I had a friend who got it from her doc. Just want to say good luck to everyone who is goiing through this krappy time like me. I don't feel so alone. I don't know ne one except 1 friend that had went through this. Thanks!  
HI welcome to the forum.....benzos are not tolerated at most clinics the combo has killed lots of people so what they did was not unusual but it had to s u c k coming down that much so fast...as fare as your taper goes you will go in and out threw withdrawals as you go along the lower the does the harder it gets right arond 25 or so is where most peope start to have problems you really feel the drops in dose if you take it all the way down you will go threw a withdrawal that will last about 7 days it not so much the initial withdrawal that make methadone so hard to come off of its the post withdrawal that last around 90 days you cant sleep for a month or 2 and there is just this energy crash that is debilitating I help most of the methadoinains here on the forum what im describing is typical if you want support and help I can help you there are vitamins and other things that can make this a bit ezer get back to me if you would like some help good luck and God bless.......Gnarly    
Thanks for responding. Yeah, if you have anything that u think would help ill try it. I have 2 babies I'm a stay at home mom so I think its has been hard to try to keep my head up and pretend I don't feel like crap when I'm with my kids. Yes. I already feel like I don't have the energy to do much. I got 25mgs today. Again thaks for your help!
HI  get up to walmart they have a 3 in one vitamin ....calcium/magnesium/zinc take 4 in the morning and 4 with dinnewr this will greatly reduce the withdrawals you feel I found this out about right where yourt at and was struggling it really helps there only 6 bucks at walmart I was researching methadone withdrawal when I cam across it give it a try it gets harder from 25 to 0 then from 50 to 25 keep posting for support I will help you where I can but get the vitamins they will do the most for you now it takes about 2 to 3 days for them to build up in your system good luck and God bless.....Gnarly    
I only want to positive! I'm currently going through methadone withdrawls myself. On my 5th day. It *****. I cant sleep, I have chills, I'm straving but cant eat...and i can go on and on and on! BUT the way I see it I can go through hell for about 2 weeks and gradually feel better, happier, BE FREE ....OR I CAN BE A SLAVE TO A DRUG FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE! I don't care if its opiate, methadone, benzo, herion, or crack the only thing I want to rely on in my life is the love of my daughter, my family, God! People you have 2 choices...be an addict or be free! Don't make excuses...make changes!!! Grab your vagina and woman up! I have a life, A GREAT LIFE just waiting for me! So I will suffer for the next 10 days or so but i'll do it with a smile on my face! I'll continue being awake night after night for the 10 days or so but I'll dream. I'll dream of me running on the beach laughing with my daughter. I find strength in telling my old friends to **** off when they call. Life is about the choices you make. Everyone has to make that choice. I don't believe in taking methadone to get off opiates, or take xanax to sleep NO DRUGS PERIOD! Everytime you taper down its painful why not just do it and get it over with! I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I only meant to give someone strength or support:) God Bless...I'll pray for you as i lay awake all night lol
HI read your post.......I think you may be in for a rude awaking ....methadone withdrawals last for months not weeks the acute stage is a week to 10 days but there is a post withdrawal that can keep you down for a wile I detoxed off 150mg over a 6 1/2 yr period it took 8 1/2 mo to taper off then I was sick for another 90 days b/4 I started to get well.....my story is not unique I woulk with most of the methadonioans and 90 days is fairly typical the hose record is 60 days done by nicoblue she was in her 20s and poped out a lot faster then most so just be ready for this to take a wile its mostly an energy crash and lack of sleep but there are other symptoms I wish you all the luck in the world on your recovery I wish I had a magic wand to make it all go away but I dont and methadone plays by its own rules good luck and God bless......Gnarly  
I am no longer in my pain clinic, been on Methadone for over 5 years. Thank God I was only taking 30 mg daily. In the past two days I have cut my dose to 15 mg per day. I feel the pain already in my legs and back. I did take some Neurotin to help with the nerve pain, and believe me it is helping.
I am worried about this post withdrawal you talk about. I have a full time job and don't know how I'm going to do it with no sleep and energy crash. I will go get the vitamins you suggest, but already take a multivitam daily, Potassium 2 x daily, B12 daily & Calcium + D. Is there anything else I can take to help ease this withdrawal? I know I haven't even hit the worse of it yet. I have pain every day anyhow from a back surgery (dbl fusion with metal rods/screws) & fibro) So, to Hell I am going, but know that after I endure this I will be off of Methadone....I can't even imagine the long term effects this must have on your body....
hi penny you cut your dose by 50% thats way to much you go off methadone a couple of mg at a time otherwise the withdrawals are unbearable you got the right idea with the vitimins take 4 at a time you want to saturate your body with them also 2000 mg of vit C will help also you should do this slowly it painful enough that way what your doing borders on cruel good luck and God bless.....Gnarly
your comment is exactly what i need to hear i am about to be detoxed off 80 mgs down to 0 in like two weeks and was so scared of what i am going to go through but it is worth what i will get at the end freedom from this life of drugs rehabs clinics and methadone , etc ..  so thank you  !!!!!!
i don't recomend..i've been on 100ml for over 10 years.over the last year i went down to 30ml and then 5ml a day till i hit 0.it's been 10 days now and i'm about to lose it.but i have taken calcium,zinc,b6 and tyrozine and the really bad leg pains only lasted 4 days....i know the pain we go through to get away from this **** is really,worth it.i'm sure i've still got a ways to go but as long as this does'nt kill me,it can only make me stronger.......good luck
I am addicted to loritabs and I am starting suboxine in a couple of days. I have used it once before and it was great but the money for the doctor got to me and I quit. Of course I ended up taking loritabs again but the amount I took increased. Anyway my question is I took methadon for 2 days because I couldn't find any tabs and was sick (a total of 40 mgs) but this not a drug I have taken before then. How is this going to affect taking the suboxone treatments? How long will I have to wait before it is safe to take or will they even let me have the suboxine?
i have cold turkeyed a 200 mg a day habit that i was on for four years and the physical withdrawals lasted 3 weeks and the mental lasted about 8 months really bad before i could say i had a at least decent sleep pattern and was clean for 2 years had surgery and the pain pills sent me right back to the clinic on methadone again now im back at 140 aday and going cold turkey again tomorrow. Ppl stay strong this is a monster and some of you will never stop short of being incarcerated. you will be depressed for months , cry all the time and just about lose it thousands of times but its definitely worth it to have that clear mind free of opiates and toxins. i always said after i quit the first time i would never get back on it again but it was always in the back of my mind and the craziest part is the drug doesnt even intoxicate me very much good luck to all of you
hey i just wanted to drop some words of encouragment. i was on methadone for about 5 yrs i peaked at 60 mgs daily. i ended up tapering 2 or 3 mgs a week for like 7 months sometimes holding my dose. when i finally finished worst w/d lasted about a week. my friend made me start playing tennis which i thought was retarded cause i damn sure didnt feel like running around, but guess what within a week i was running around and noticed i was sleeping so much better.unfortunatley i ran into an old friend about a month later who had roxys and got hooked on them 3months later i was back on methadone for 2 yrs and peaked at 70mgs. well recently i decided to kick methadones *** all over the place and went from 70mgs to 0mgs from a sunday to sunday. i am on my 4th day with no done and havnt been able to sleep much or sit still while laying down for that matter but i can honestly say its no worse than when i tapered down.it just comes on a little quiker.www.*****************  has a dr. article that tells you how to quit cold turkey saftley using over counter supplements and proper nutricoun and i have to say im pretty happy considering. contrary to popular beliefe coming off opiates is not that dangerous, you just feel like crap. alchahol and benzos dont try it.so in conclusion it can be done you wont die make sure you have someone around to check up on you and ride the wave. goodluck ryan.
My son is about to detox from methadone in a clinic.  He is on 100 mgs aday.  After the 1-2 week detox he is heading into the Rockies for 3 months with his brother to try to stay clean.  Is this dangerous.  His clinic says yes but his MD says no.  I am also concerned about his brother.  They are 21 and 25
Hi there...I'd love to know what ever happened to you....did it all work out and how long was the whole process?

I understand that it varies from person-to-person. I'm in Vancouver, Canada where the very mention of methadone generates a puff of smoke from where a Doctor waltzes out asking, " so how many mls shall we prescribe you"?

I'm a more drastic case...not in terms of dosage but in terms of lifestyle. My reasons for ending up on Methadone was because of my Heroin addiction. Anyways, I dropped down to 15 MLS before jumping off. I've been clean from Everything for 6 days now. It's not easy though...the sweats, the aches, no sleep, lethargy, just all very over the top, you know?

What a ride man, what a ride. I'd like to keep complaining but, how can I? I've read a bunch of stories and now mine doesn't seem all that bad. But I certainly relate to that one chap who said, "all I want is to be normal again". I hear ya dude! To think that my drug chapter started over 22 yrs ago only to come to age 39 and wanting to be where I was before I flushed half (if lucky) my life away on a vacant life.

Who ever you are, where ever you are...take the time to ask for help and love yourself enough to follow through because your more than you think you are and your, we, are all worth it. I know this too shall pass....eventually.

Sincere Blessings y'all.
HI........the withdrawal usually last 10day to 2 weeks coming off 15mg
it will start to get beeter ofter that then its the energy crash and sleeping problems you have to deal with no for some a month and the whole thing is over for most its a 60 to 90 day grind back to feeling human again if you can get up to walmart and pick up some whey protein shak mix its 15 bucks for a 2lb can and it has th amino acids in it as well as extra vitamins along with raw protien all of witch the brain neds to heal this is not a quick fix but rather the building blocks to getting well it relay helped me keep posting for support you can do this good luck and God bless.....Gnarly
I'm on my 3rd day of no Methadone.... I came off at 3mls and I'm feeling all of the usual, no sleep being the worst part... my body feels like I have the flu, and I'm so not myself..... Everyone on here talks about coming off at 15mls PLUS...... I was on 85ml to begin my Meth journey 4yrs ago..... but went down 5ml every month until I got to 15ml..... that's when I changed over to coming down 1ml a week, every week until I got to my 4th day on 3ml...... then I stopped as I was feeling the strain from 5ml and thought why prolong the whole thing....... So here I am on the 8th/7th/2012  on my 3rd day off 3mls and wondering how long I will be in this state.... I'm hoping because I got down to 3mls before Stopping completely will help with the length of time my withdraw will last and how bad is it going to get IF it's going to get worse???? Any Answers/Help?????

been on methadone for over 20 yrs.  Started on 80 mgs.   been on 3 mgs for last 2 yrs.  I took my last dose (0.5 mg) 13 days ago.  I've been taking 1/4 tablet of  5mg oxycodone every 6 hrs or so.  I stretched it to 16 hours yesterday. (it's all I have.  I have darvocet, but it's so structurally close to methadone i'm afraid it will just prolong the meth withdrwawal so I'm not taking it).   I dont like oxy's at all, they make me jumpy but they help the chills and rawness of the meth withdrawal.  I'm thinking the small amount of oxycodone for 2 weeks won't give me a habit and i should be past the worst of methadone withdrawal by that time. I took more oxycodone for a longer time (2-3 5mg tabs every 4-6 hrs for 3 wks) after neck surgery a couple years ago and stopped taking them with no problem.    I"m still somewhat anxious and sleep very little.  I tried Melatonin after 7 days off methadone, it gave me trippy scary dreams for the 2 hours I slept and stopped taking it.  I took 2 weeks of vacation time to detox, which i've burned up and im back to work and still in withdrawal.   Sometimes during the day i feel like i'll jump out of my skin and cant stand another moment, but then  I feel ok in the early evening however.  When I'm up all nite I do get anxious and pissed off! ;)  I'm planning to stop taking the oxycodone this friday and see how it goes for a 3 day weekend (taking monday off)
I want to do this more than anything.  I"ve been a prisoner for a long time.  God help me be strong... please.
I've been on 5-10 mgs of methadone for two and a half months....I'm currently on day 5 and is wondering if it will take me weeks or months to finally feel normal
I gave birth to my baby on 27/9/11 on 70mg after reducing from 120 but she suffered hard for 3 weeks and they had to give her morphine I have never felt so ashamed and guilty from taking methadone or any drug until that moment. I have since reduced slowly and am down to 25 my husband was really hard on me he is very straight and doesn't understand withdrawal. He believes I should suffer like our baby maybe hes right but both my kids need me I have to do this right.
well done your doing very well getting this far, successfully de-toxed if i had listened to the professionals, i would not haave made it altho they did help me to realise my trigger situations but 6 months now basically got no withdrawls get your mind in the right place and it will be easy if i taught i was sick i really felt sick so  think positive your husband seems to be a good man but he could do with learning more about it hopefully it all goes well for u  just remember tomorrow is what u make it
I have a question regarding methadone. I personally have a rare neurological disorder and all that can be done is to treat the symptoms. I take a total of 40 mgs of methadone a day and have stayed on that dose for over 4 years. I'm actually prescribed 60 mgs daily in case I would need the extra 20 mgs.
My concern is if I wanted to stop taking this medicine, how bad would I go through withdrawals.
Also I'm not 100% certain I should stop due to the pain I have from my neurological disorder. It's the reason I started taking the medicine and haven't had to up my dosage over the past 4 years. However, how bad is this medicine for the overall health of my body, that is my big concern.
Given my neurological disorder that I all ready have I don't want to further hurt my body by taking this medicine for the rest of my life.

Should I be concerned? Should I try to stop taking the medicine and live with my pain or is it okay to take as long as I never take more than prescribed?

Thanks for any help.
Tracy
I have been on methadone at 100 mg for 2 years, what got me to the methadone is a little of everyone's story, abused opiates, did whatever it took to get me through the day! However, let me tell u now, I have an alleged neurological disorder by the way of a 12gauge shotgun through the body, one of the worst spots being my foot! Multiple shots taken, but oddly, foot was the worst.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is this. I was so tired at being a slave to a drug, and with a baby on the way, decided I was done! I have tried to do the maintanece wein, but always suffered.

This time I just quit at 100 mg. it's been 13 days  and while its not been easy, I took milk thistle/siliverin, an herbal supplement that helps the liver to detox faster, and melatonin and l-theanine to help with restless legs and mood swings.

Even with this, I still suffered, but I'm here on day 13 and feel a world better, suffering from knee pain, which could be from restless legs, or the way I've walked these past couple years, but being worn out all the time is the worst.  I know I have a ways to go, but the reason I am appealing to u, is if u have been a while without actually facing the pain of your illness, and I know I may just be a lucky case, but I walk better off methadone than I did on it for the pain. As a matter of fact, I also suffered from daily persistent chronic migraines, in other words, I had a migraine daily when I started methadone. Now, aside from the headaches that come with withdrawals, I am fine. I feel better off of everything then I did taking it. There is hope. You know your body, you know what you can endure.  Just remember to take it 1 step at a time, set small goals, even if its just a 30 minute nap, or watching a tv show. It makes time pass much much faster.
HI congrats on breaking free its tuff to do but doable keep in mind methadone is very cyclic so you will have both good days as well as bad you just got to go with the flow and remember tomorrow brings new hope where here to help you might want to start your own post the support here is great good luck and God bless.....Gnarly
My daughter started methadone to get off heroin.  Shortly after she found out she was pregnant so she had to remain on methadone until the baby was born.  She started tapering slowly right after the baby was born.  She was on 70mg at that time.  When the baby was six months old she was ready to get off completely.  She made sure she had a week off of work and I helped her with the baby everyday.  It helped for her to exercise every day, drink lots of water, and take over the counter sleeping aides to help her sleep at night along with Aleve for muscle pain.  She became very depressed and went to her family doctor and began Wellbutrin.  It wasn't easy for her but slowly she started feeling better.  I would say she was feeling very good by 30 days after she went off completely and was pretty much back to normal by the sixty day mark.  I know that sounds like a long time but the worst part only lasted a week.  She was so afraid to go off it and when it got hard she felt like she wouldn't be able to do it and thought she would just stay on it forever.  But she stuck with it and all the hard times were worth it!  The baby is doing fine.  She spent 5 weeks in the hospital after her birth.  That was horrible.  But she just turned 10 months old and she has been walking for about 3 weeks, has excellent fine motor control, babbles constantly and is adorable.  So  GET OFF THE METHADONE!!!  YOU CAN DO IT!!! DON'T GIVE UP!!!
well i dont know about anyone else in the world but the ruthless fkrs of child services are trying like helll to take my baaby over the same thing. he was born oct 21, at 8and1/2pounds. im at about a week now, i had to cold turkey 90 mgs a day adn i am freaking out, i mean the freak in me is bustin outta my skin and cant see to type. child services is acting like i am a child abuser because i began goin to the clinic to stop shootin opiates!! wow i have never told anyone that part, anyway, i got help in order to have a healthy baby. i could have afforded an abortion or some more pills, maybe some heroin, i want to jump off my roof right now but my luck i would just make myself hurt worse and blow my mentality out my butt, as if this could get worse. from reading everyones stuff im almost thru the worst of the hardcore stuff. its got to get better, my baby needs me, so does daddy
I jumped off 140ml of methadone 4 days ago and I feel like I am going to die, either at my own hand or from these horrible withdrawls!! I am in a dark hole with no way out and I am suffering, can't sleep or eat and I have nobody. I just googled methadone withdrawls for any kind of help or advice and found this forum. I don't know if I can get through this, please any help or advice would be appreciated.
Hey darcy , wow, you jumped off methadone at a huge dose! It's no wonder you are suffering so badly. I think it would be a good idea to go back on the methadone and do a slow taper. I know you want this over with but you are going to suffer incredibly bad! I know others have jumped at doses as high as yours, but they really suffered. I am currently tapering my methadone, have been tapering for almost 3 years and am now at 9mgs going down 1mg every two weeks to make my withdrawals as minimal as possible. It is ultimately your choice as to what you want to do but if it were me I would get back on and do a slow taper. I can't even fathom how terrible your withdrawals are going to be. Whatever you choose to do I wish you all the best..........
How long did it take for your w/d to end?  I was only on 60 mgs of methadone and had been using heroin intravenously before I started the methadone because I wanted to stop using. I recently quit going to the methadone clinic and quit cold turkey. I couldn't stand the withdrawals so I thought if I used heroin for a week, then take suboxone for a few days that I would be ok.  All that did was hide the symptoms for a few days and now I'm on week 5 of withdrawals and it's the worst thing I have EVER had to do. I went to detox and they let me leave after 72 hours and gave me nothing to take at home.  Ended up going to the doctors 2 days later because I couldn't take it anymore. He gave me a different blood pressure med instead of clonidine so I don't have the cold and hot sweats, my blood pressure is usually 105/56 and it was 148/80 when I was on my third week of w/d (higher then it was 5 days before when I was admitted into detox), Xanax xr 3mg which didn't help right away and it took a day or two for me to at least endure the anxiety, but still have anxiety and irratibility where I want to rip my insides out again (klonopin seemed to work the best). I have flexeril for muscle aches and the bone pain is awful, but the vomiting has stopped (taking over the counter meds for that).  I have no energy and when I think I'm starting to feel better, the next day it's like I'm starting from the beginning. The doctor said 6-8 weeks or sometimes it can last 3 months.  I thought 60 mgs of methadone would be easy because when I started I was not on the right dose and was still withdrawaling from Heroin, but didn't want to ask for more because of how long it takes to wean off of it.  Now I have insomnia, I want to sleep so bad but can't and am constantly moving my legs.  I just want this to be over with.  Everyone keeps telling me it will get better, but it seems like this is a NEVER ending nightmare.  Not to mention, nothing right now seems to excite me or make me happy. I made it this far because I left the state and am staying at my parents or I probably would of relapsed.  The withdrawals are what always made me go back to using just so I could function at work.  I just want to know when will I feel somewhat normal and be able to function again?  
When i went to a meth clinit my highest dose was 45mg then started dropping 5mg every 5 or 6 days with no problems got low as 10mg and relasped but my goal was to go down to 1mg for a week and try skipping a day then 2 days and seen what i felt like, i would think the lower you jump off at the easier just my opion.
The bottom line is do you really wanna quit and if that is really important to you then you have to stick to your guns till its over. I'm 5 days into withdraw from 40m l methadone/day for about 2 yrs cold turkey. Make it a game or something you prove to yourself. I'm not being holier then thou. This is not my first try but this is the first time I put 20m l in my pocket and went 5 days. Proveing to myself that I am strong enough to do it with it right there. My plan is to pour it out on day 30 and party my but off. I hope this can be inspiration for others. You can do it. You just have to STOP doing it(any opiate). I went cold turkey 10 yrs ago from 600m l  oxy a day and that was insanely painfull but I did it without a doctor or any alternate drugs. Obviously 8 yrs later I fell back to opiates but quiting is posible. Keep hope just know that you,me,everyone can beat it if you just say "I don't care how bad it gets I'm not going to use" well that's what's keepin me going. Good luck.
And as I'm writeing I'm sleepless,sore,periodically vomiting,extremely irritable and feeling the worst I have in years. Its 1 am and 7 am ill be off to work roofing all day. Its right there on my night stand but I got the control now and so do you! This is a mental thing I believe. If you look beyond the withdraw to your better healthier self the present situation is only temporary. 30 days of hell then the rest of our lives opiate free. Never going through withdraw again. Now that's something to look forward to!
well i have to say reading these posts has helped me alot so to start im now on methadone it will be 2yrs this june and my highest was 75mg a day i tapered 10mg a week til i got to 55mg then stayed there for a month then asked to be tapered 2mg a week til i get to 20mg i am now at 40mg and im trying to eat better drink more water exercise and take a vit. and taper even slower from 20mg i have to say im alittle worried/scared/nervous etc to get down to 0 but i really want it and i am determined ...so please if anyone has a question for me or if anyone has advice please ask and or tell thank u and wish every one the best
Wow!!! Has anyone on here actually gone through this crap????
Hi...my name is AJ and I am an addict...lol.. I jumped off 105 mgs after tapering down over 2months from125mg... Can you imagine feeling like all your bones are splintering, breaking, falling apart inside,,,,,you have a slugs energy whilst feeling so anxious and crazy and twitchy,,,headaches, the *****,,puking,,crying, aching,,just fighting off the neeeeeed for relief from more of this ****??? I am on day 17 and feel like I am getting through it, but not by leaps and bounds..by mental strength and conviction alone...
God bless the junkies...such a hard, self-inflicted and painful life.. I will miss it and dearly...it is a false reality, a dream state kinda existence.
Hey ArJ420,

You can not do methadone this way, though some have done so or forced too, it is insane from my point of view to Jump at high doses even low doses. I was at 120 MG Methadone and 80MG of Percocet.

You need to start taking your methadone and get stable, be carefull on every dose decision you make, and hopefully you can get a doctor to get you stable.

Forget Buprenex, can be even worse. Nope once on Methadone you are in the big leagues.

With Methadone it is actually not so bad to taper in steps, and those steps add up to significant reductions fast. Keep in mind Methadone is different in it's half life and your body see's does adjustment up or down different than when your stable on a dose for about 7 days. Making the drug erratic or messy, your body can change metabolism effectively change your blood levels.

The key is and it easy at the higher amounts to taper at say 5MG every 3 4 or even 7 days until you are ready for one more step, you do this in steps, and their will be a point somewhere lower around 20 or 30 MG where you will have stumbling block and may need to go back up to your last dose amount for a while until you able to cope moving forward.

When lower around at 30MG or so change 5MG  to 2.5 MG steps. Then get oral methadone then start step tapers with .2MG reductions every 3,4 or 7 days as you can tolerate once down around 10 MG. IT takes lots of time and you will have PAWS while being in more slight Acute withdraws as well. Double whammy. When you quit it will still be a rough ride up and down, somedays will be super days, relish them so you can look forward to them again. It cycles and you feel better every cycle is somewhat less and you have to figure out how to deal with cycle of PAWS. There is more, research what I say, I took alka seltzer with Goddies powders for body aches and that helped a lot, did not change the fact I could do little to take care of myself. You need a plan to get your needs and life handled while you give up a part of your life in exchange for your life back.
Buprenex
Woooo....  Be VERY careful, please read this:  Another issue of concern for patients considering beginning any maintenance therapy or switching from one maintenance therapy to another is the transition associated with this switch. Due to buprenorphine's high-affinity to opioid receptors in the brain, care needs to be taken when a patient is transitioning from one drug (e.g., heroin) or medication (e.g., methadone) to buprenorphine. In essence, if an opioid-dependent patient is not in sufficient withdrawal, introduction of buprenorphine may precipitate withdrawal. In lay terms, in a sufficient dose, buprenorphine "pushes" any other opioids off of the receptors, but is itself not always "strong enough" to counteract the withdrawal symptoms this causes. Thus, opioid-dependent patients, in particular those on methadone or another long-acting medication or drug, should be thoroughly honest with their prescribing doctor about their drug use, in particular in the days immediately preceding their induction onto buprenorphine, whether for detoxification or maintenance so not to risk immediate withdrawal. In contrast, in general the transition from buprenorphine or other opioids to methadone is easier, and any discomfort or side-effects are more likely to be easily remedied with dose adjustments.  

That said....  DO NOT Use Buprenorphine AKA: Subutex or Suboxone, if you have ingested methadone in the past week to 10-days, or most other opioid substances in the past 3-5 days or IT WILL PUSH YOU INTO withdrawal like you've never experienced before !!!!!!    CAUTION !!!!!!

From: MoreOnMethadone....  
Mr. MoreOnMethadone,

Where did you get the idea Buprenex, Suboxone of Subutex where being discussed in the context of using them for Methadone treatment or Detox in this thread or my post, my sign in Name is Buprenex.

My quote,

"Forget Buprenex, can be even worse. Nope once on Methadone you are in the big leagues".

In regards your Woooo...to all, your information is old and Buprenex Guidelines have changed in regards Methadone. Yes precipitated withdrawal is a problem but again your time frame is off.

But none of this MATTERS, Buprenex is hard and/or as Evil for most too taper off or quit. It can work for some and only some without complications of withdrawing form Buprenex. You can be the lucky one.

I presented the quick less detailed version of Evidenced Based Guidelines for Methadone Tapering of which I have followed and completed from 120 MG of Methadone of which I was taking for several years without any doctors guiding me, simply followed Evidence Based Tapering Guidelines with all the details of problems you may encounter in the process.

Cut the Buzz words out, read more carefully.
Buprenex
hi im in pain like you I know what will give your life back  Oxycotton
it comes in 20- 40- 60-80 mg u want to start out on 40 or 60 mg 3 times a day
1 every 8 hours you will have to test what mg that will work on you. and  hydrocodone 10 mg 1 every 6 hour that's 4 times a day for break through pain  I know people who are on this .
my medcaid will only pay for 2 -  40 mg its not strong enough im suffering bad..
what gets my goat people who want drugs to get high and dosent even know what pain is
and makes it hard for people how truly need help
I'm on day 5 of a methadone withdrawal... been on methadone for 9 months, never going higher than 50mg.... last weekend just got tired of it, the dirty clinic, the medication, the lifestyle, all of it... dropped to 20 mg for two days, 10 mg on sunday and haven't dosed since... I didn't have any of the sickness lots of people have described on here, I guess I got lucky with that... depression and no energy, now that is another story and i'm always so damned cold!! today the brain zaps have started.. I guess my brain is trying to restart from being drugged for so long... I forced myself to walk the other day felt much better for about 10 mins afterward lol, thinking of going to the gym today to ride the bike and sweat some.. i'll let you know if you are interested to see how that works.. I do take multivitamins everyday and drink green tea everyday but I need to force myself to drink some water, I know that! anyway i'm here with yall!! sticking it through... good luck everybody!!
I sent you a message, this thread is from 07. Start a post for yourself and you'll get more support and advice.
I was addicted to OxyContin and when I realized I had a problem I decides to take action and get help. I went to a methadone clinic and began my recovery. The clinic that I went to starts everyone off at 20mg and then as you continue to go they will boost your dosage by 5mg a visit or 10mg a week. I had only went up to 30mg and stayed there for a few months. When I was ready I asked my doctor to lower my dosage. Each week I would go down. I started going down by 5mg when I hit 10mg I went down by 3 or 2mg. When I got down to 2mg I came off cold turkey. To my surprise I had no bad reaction to any withdrawal symptoms and I felt fine. I finally felt like a real person and not a robot dependent on fuel to keep me going. My advice take your time coming off methadone and only do it if you feel ready. There is a difference between feelings ready and actually being ready. I would go every other day without taking anything so that was kind of my test to see how I would feel. Most of your withdrawal symptoms are really in your head. I know it's something no one wants to hear I have been there and heard it all. But honestly it really is. You just need to think positively, get up and do stuff, go for walks or whatever you need to do. But from my experience it was all worth it to be a human again..
  I was on methadone for about 9 years. At the height I was on 200 mgs.
  per day. You need to taper down to 20 to 30 mgs per day, then stop
  the methadone. Use another narcotic to help with the withdrawals. I used
  oxycodone. After 72 hours of no methadone whatever narcotic you use
  should control the withdrawal symptoms. I haven't had any methadone
  for 28 days. I was never sick after the first 2 days. During this entire
  period I never missed a day of work. I am now starting to taper off of
  the oxycodone. This really worked for me.
Ive been on methadone for over 6 year highest was 85 mg and over the last 4 years ive detoxed  slowly down to 4 mg a day and i feel good with 4 mg but ready to stop altogether . I went 4 days without it cause im so done with going to a clinic but by the 3 rd day i was sick and the 4 th day was to much i took my 4 mg dose that day and still felt like crap after taking it im back taking 4 mg a day.  4 days a week i don't take my dose on the other days ( i skip my dose)  my question is what am i doing wrong to come off this crap
yes moreonmeth it was christmas eve day and i had just took my daily 120mgs of methadone and decided i was gonna stop so i took 8mgs of suboxone and within 45 mins. i was in the worst withdrawl (withdrawal) ever,after 6hrs. and 15 10mgs percoset i finally felt normal,make sure you have been on 40mgs.or less of methadone for at least 2 weeks before you try suboxone.
I may have to go to jail in a week and I an in 12mgs of liquid oral methadone a day.. Any predictions on what I may be going thru if I am sentenced?  Thank you for any feedback
This is an old thread.  To ensure that your post is seen, please start your own new thread.  You can do that by clicking on the orange "post a question: button on the top right of the page.
I loved your comment about womaning up & just doing it.  I'm about to go to jail maybe) and stressing B I G  T I M E about just stopping my 12mgs a day cold turkey.  I have to say however that if you aimed to inspire, mission accomplished! Thank you
what......no clinics start anyone at 180 per day. If you have no idea what you are talking about then please don't send a bunch of bs.
I had got to half a pill (5mg) a day and thought What the Hell how bad could  could it be to totally quit?  Well its been 7 weeks and at least I can sleep about every other day about 4 hrs which of course is no fun,but I won't take any pharma for it.
You mentioned this may continue for a year or two? Gasp! Well nothing worth having is easy.
I have been on methadone for eight month was on 180 and quit cold turkey fourteen days ago how much longer with withdraws some one plz help
I was addicted to oxycondone for years.  I went through a 5 year period constantly taking drugs or going to the methadone clinic.  I finally got clean and beat my mental addiction.  About 3 years ago I had a set twins via C-section.  Two months after that I started devolping cyst on my ovaries and the after two months of dealing with that my Doctor put me on percocet.  I took it for 7 months while dealing with cysts forming going away and coming again. I had developed a physical dependence so I went back to the clinic.  I was on 50mg Daily and when i detoxed I went down between 2 and 3mg a week. It took a lttle over 4 months to get down to 1mg.  And the first week was very hard with withdrawl (withdrawal).  I was blessed to be sleeping at least 4 hours a night.  But had no energy and had 4 kids to take care of.  Let me tell you I have no mental addiction so going through this yes i felt bad but I thanked God everyday to allow me to breath and for giving me the strength to do this.  It has been 31 days since I took my last dose.  Dont give up.  With time everything thing gets better. I am not 100 percent but I am getting there and still attending celebrate recovery as I have for the last three years. Those of you who that struggle with the depression and wanting to just make the withdrawl (withdrawal) go away it helps to have you mental addiction erradicated before you detox.
Wow, all these post are really good.  It's amazing how long suffering we can be, and we thought kicking Heroin was tough!  Someone posted that when your playing with Methadone your in the Big leagues and that couldn't be said any better.  Methadone is the last ditch effort for any opiate addict, and for me, the most intoxicating when mixed with benzo's and other meds.  I've kicked Methadone and Benzo's together many times and usually it's forced by incarceration.  I am currently 40 days clean and it's 3am and I just woke up after an hour of sleep with goosebumps running up my back and neck, gotta love it, gotta respect it.  I was taking 120mgs a day for the past two years and of course Xanax and clonazepam daily.  I couldn't Do it anymore, so when I got my months script I downed the whole bottle-3600mgs.  I was found 12 hours later still alive, rushed to ER, where I woke straight up when my unconscious mind heard "give him 6.5 of Narcan" Fell back out woke 24hours later on  a Narcan drip that lasted 5 days.  When I was taken off the drip I fell back out- 5 days later, That's Methadone.  I didn't Even start Detoxing until day 8 and the real deal kicked in around day 10.  For me detox is a roller coaster.  Feeling good one minute than super bad the next.  At day ten I was shaking and quivering so much my eyebrows were even trembling.  Reality is, nothing but an opiate is going to take away the pain.  Valium, ativan, clonadine, zefra(stomach) seem to help the detox suck just a little less.  It is what it is and for me I noticed in the past that weening down from  Methadone doesn't help that much.  That's just for me.  I can usually track my symptoms by the amount of sneezing that I do.  My sneezing peeks at 7 in a row than starts to lesson as the days and weeks go by.  When I get to 3 in a row I know i'm on the down slope.  Stomach cramps go away after a week or so, but the cramps in legs and back and chills stay for a good 30- 50 days.
     If I were to give advice to someone planning to detox from Methadone that doesn't know what to expect I would say take a good 30 days off of life.  Plan this out because it's gonna be tough.  If your on 20mgs or 120mgs, it's gonna be rough.  Go to a doctor and be honest or get your A** in a treatment center.  

Suboxone and methadone dont mix well.  The risk of going into precip. WD's is way to high.  I took suboxone 10 days after my last dose 5 years ago and went into unbelievable withdrawl (withdrawal) within 15 minutes.  I thought I was sick enough to take it, but boy was I wrong.  If you take sub's to quick you will know within 10-20 minutes and theres no coming back from that one for atleast 15-24 hours-probably more than that. so be warned.

This is all personal experience not something I read.  So if your reading this you know someone that is going through this or your doing the thing and it does get better, than worse, than better, than worse, than better!  So Hang in there guys.  The real test is when were done the detox, right?  We can forget the pain so easily.
I happen to live on the East Coast, in my state they start you at 30mg and woork you up 10 a day until you are stable, never going over a max dose of 220mg, but recently new people are not allowed to past 150mg. I know my clinic is very small but I dont know one person over say 120mg. The next step is to bring you down if you so choose when you are ready, for somw that is right away for others they choose not a detox but methadone matience. I never believed that the clinics wouldnt help you get off ASAP, that is until yesterday. My clinic is not letting me dose until 930am when I see their doctor, because I am detoxing after 2 years. They are now saying the 10% decrease bi-weekly that my counselor suggested is to quick? Its my choice, is it not? He suggested it this way. They may tell me no, and not give me the option, if she says no, and I dont agree the only way I can taper is AMA and that is 5mg a day! Way to fast. So you all are correct and this is not right. What can I do?
Hi ,I am on 5 ml of meth reduced from 100 a day its taken me nearly a year i was given subs and the did not agree with me and i was put back on meth  .I am in hell i feel suicidal and could not sleep how long does this last.I have had some sleep after taking a drug called "lyrica pregabalin" but i am scared the wd will come back I am suffering from GAD and was only sleeping on an off i wake and feel terrified! i think that people that say they just got of it where not on it long! i have been on it 10 yeas and want to go sailing even have a job, but i can't show up with black eyes acting like a nut please help. ***@****

THnaks Nick
Hi ,I am on 5 ml of meth reduced from 100 a day it's taken me nearly a year i was given subs and the did not agree with me and I was put back on meth  .I am in hell I feel suicidal and could not sleep how long does this last. I have had some sleep after taking a drug called Hi ,I am on 5 ml of meth reduced from 100 a day it's taken me nearly a year i was given subs and they did not agree with me and I was put back on meth  .I am in hell I feel suicidal and could not sleep how long does this last. I have had some sleep after taking a drug called lyrica pregabalin but I am scared the wd will come back I am suffering from GAD and was only sleeping on an off i wake and feel terrified I think that people that say they just got of it were not on it long i have been on it 10 years and want to go sailing even have a job but can show up with black eyes acting like a nut please help. ***@**** Thanks Nick
hello all i was put on methadone over 8 years ago for reflex sympathetic dystrophy. the pain clinics never tell you what this medication can do to your life!!! they never tell you that they want u to be on it for life!!
most importantly they don't tell you what it does to ur body!!! anyway i decided to cold turkey almost 3 weeks ago. i can't afford the special clinics so against all advice im doing it alone! i was up to 70 -90 mg a day. the withdrawls and detoxing has been hell!
the symptoms? well, shaking, freezing cold no matter what i do, dizzy, severe insomnia, no food in or it goes right through my system with a vengeance!! and the hallucinations are scary as hell!! its crazy when u are seeing things that nobody else does. u know its not there but yet u still see it!! the odd one is i can't stop sneezing! 4-5 in a row at least every half hour. my heart beats wrong, like fast but skipping beats or adding beats in. so after the first week and a half i decided to try temazepam (already prescribed prior to quitting ) and that helped so much with the heart issues. the next thing i did was get a script for zanaflex a muscle relaxer. with those two things combined it has helped me quite a bit!! im still having the symptoms but no where near what they were! i admit i should be under a Drs watch but the clinic i go to told me i would never be able to do what im doing, so i didn't tell them yet. also, with methadone the withdrawls are more physical than mental. so i flushed all of my meathadone so i couldn't go back!! i guess what im trying to say is if i can do this so can anyone else, but u have to be ready ur self and make up ur mind that ur going to do it no matter what happens!! im not a Dr so im not telling anyone to do this. this is just my personal war i will win!! so to all that are on this demon medication , i wish you all the strength, and courage you need if u want to get off of it because its no easy feat!!! good luck all!!
I was recently on 60 mg of methadone after being weened down from 120 for the past 2 years. So I end up in jail after totalling my truck and catching some DUI and DUS charges, and believe it or not that was the BEST thing that could've happened to me. I had the $ to bond out, but since it was in my back pocket when I got arrested it was stored with my possesions which I couldnt touch til I got released. so I sat in a cell for 21 days before finally going to court and being released, and had no choice but to kick methadone cold turkey. the first week was HELL, no sleep, couldnt eat, crazy thoughts, hot/cold flashes, but around the 5 or 6th day you start feeling better, then its not so bad after that, the first week is the hard part. if you can make it past that first week without going back to the clinic or scoring some dope then you've made it, thats why im glad I was locked up in that cell because I really dont think I could have done it had I had the freedom to dose or score some opiates.
I was in jail withdrawing. Just take anti-nausea
, anti-diarrhea, and ibuprofen for 7 days. After that you are fine physically. Mentally you will always want it. I was down to 90mgs of Methadone and drinking daily. Everyday I struggle, but If you find a new way to deal with the pain and something to do with your time, then you will be fine. I find ease in Goody powders that are in a red pack.With a back and joint pain that helps. Also with a 800mg ibuprofen. I may take tramadol when I can, but it helps. I also make myself take a hot shower and walk or clean once a day and it brings energy out in me.  
Hi all,

I was taking methadone for almost 8 years, start with 5mg and end up to 50mg, then I started to feel that I hate my life, always tired and useless.
so I decided to get off this ****, I did so many research and found out if you reduce your meth 5mg every 14 days you can not fell it at all.
And that was right in last year every 2 weeks I reduce 5 mg and during last week ( 5 days) I didn't take any Methadone !
I feel like I have flu some pain in my legs and can't sleep but not hell, I can easily handle it.
Thanks god I can't believe after 8 years I am not thing this ****.
I believe that Clonidin is a perfect drug to help me now!
Help yourself and enjoy free drug life!
its not easy but its not hard at all, you can do it ! beautiful life just waiting for us !
Sam
I have been using methadone for about 20 yrs have taped down to 5 mg but can't seem to get past the weakness? Any  suggestions?  Will it ever end?  Will I ever be normal again? No one else to talk to!
The best thing to use is clonodine period. sorry for the late post I am getting off methadone and the withdrawls are hell but with clonidine helps about 80%
this is incorrect information. Methadone doses begin @ 20 mg and go up until stabilization occurs. Professionals who are prescribing larger doses to begin are seeking to kill someone.
Hi Brooklyn117 - I have been on methadone for 13 years. I started in the clinic @ 20 ml and increased/decreased over the years while in active addiction. 9 months ago i came into recovery. I was on 50 and I wanted to try suboxone. My doctor said if I could get down to 30 ml we would talk about it, so the next day I refused part of my dose and took 30 for two weeks. Doctor was not in when i returned, so I remained calm (unlike me when I don't get my way) and I went home and went down to 20 for another two weeks. When I finally met with my doctor again, he said I was doing well and I should stick with my plan, just not making such drastic drops in dose. So we agreed that 2 ml decrease a week would be ok every two weeks. I got down to 10 ml and then began 1 ml. Sometimes I stayed at a certain dose for more then two weeks depending on my life in the moment. I was taking methadone in liquid form 1 mg to 1ml tang mixture. I went down to 9 ml finally for a month. Finally, I decided I was done. I requested a script for 1 mls decrease every 3 days and I did very well until 5mls. At the 4ml drop I had the worst night of my life (Thank God it was the night before my clinic visit) I went to my doctor and told him I wanted to stay on 4ml and would like Clonidine and something to sleep. He gave me seroquel 25 but it was not enough, and clonidine helped some. I bought an oral syringe and brought home a 1 week carry for 4 mls a day and I decreased a ml per day down to 2, then I took 1.5. The withdrawal had already set in though so I decided that I would just go off. I returned to the clinic and changed my sleep med to Immovane/Zopiclone. I am day 6 without methadone. Today is the first day that I pushed myself to go out and do something and it took all the energy that I had. I am sleeping every night with the help of the sleep med and taking the clonidine religiously. I am religious in making myself go to meetings because my mind plays tricks on me. Some days I think that I have two options heroin for pain, or time for freedom. I want freedom. If I would do anything different, I would have stopped taking methadone the moment I was awfully ill at 4mls. I think I have prolonged the withdrawal a few days longer then needed. Today, I force myself to stay awake during the day because I crash from time to time. At night I had restless legs for the last few mls, and I was able to get my hands on Dilantin (but I would not suggest taking anything not prescribed). Fight through it and stay strong.It totally gets better. My mind finally feels ok... but my body is tired and sore. Freedom is all I want though, so I stick to my plan to reach this. You can do it :)
When I had a heroin or opiate habit, I used Methadone for 3 days, maybe 4 to kick the habit. It worked great. It was long enough to kick the habit and I mean doing a lot of H for about 5 years, and not long enough to get a methadone habit.
Well, considering that it is a Federal Law that you cannot start a MMT patient on larger than a 40 mg/day dose, that would be incorrect. Actually, to be more specific (I have passed the dispensing certification test btw so I know the American laws and "best practices" very well) Federal Law states that the maximum first dosing can be no higher than 30 mg. Then, after 3-4 hours of observation they can give you another 10 mg if appropriate. Unfortunately, most people--and certainly heroin and other "high potency" opiate addicts--need more than 40 mg/day to be "stabilized. So after day one they can start bumping you up 10 mg/day up to 80 mg (again, if appropriate). Then after that if you're still having "objective" WD symptoms prior to your next dose they can raise you 10 mg per week (though most clinics by their own policy make it every two weeks). Rinse and repeat until stabilized (In theory anyway. Unfortunately in practice many people in the US NEVER get to a dose that will "stabilize" them. With the most common reason being that they are what the medical community refers to as "ultrarapid metabolizers," which make up about 5-8% of the population. But there are many other reasons as well. The UK is MUCH better about this facet of MMT therapy).

And there is definitely NO PLACE IN THE WORLD that would START someone, regardless of what they claim their daily habit is, on 160+ mg of Methadone in a day. They would end up with codeine/vicodin/etc. habits, or just small high-potency opiate habits ("low end opiate addict") patients dropping like flies, and would be sued into bankruptcy and closure in no time flat.

To answer the original question. Duration of WDs can and will vary wildly depending on many factors. However, a "cold-turkey" withdrawal from Methadone will last at least 4-6 weeks in the "acute" and "semi-acute" stages (i.e. full-blown WDs, with very "objective" symptoms, recognizable by anyone well trained in opiates, opiate treatment, and "opioid abstinence syndrome" [better known as withdrawal]). Any objective WD symptoms will certainly be over by the 3 month mark though, regardless of dosage and duration of use prior to going cold-turkey.

Unfortunately, that was the good news. The bad news is that "post-acute" withdrawal symptoms, of the "subjective" variety (i.e. cravings, general malaise, anxiety, insomnia, irritability, depression, and more besides...) can last up to and even beyond 6-8 months. Again, depending on dosage and duration of use prior to "jumping off"/suddenly discontinuing use. And if it is being used for addiction treatment (MMT) then you are also looking at relapse rates to the previous drug(s) of choice (heroin, oxycontin, oxymorphone, morphine, etc.) that exceed 90%+ within 5 years in every study ever done on the subject.

That doesn't mean you can't succeed though. That you can't "beat the odds," and you shouldn't think of it that way in any case. Every individual is different. However, it definitely IS something to keep in mind if/when contemplating attempting to get out of the MMT "ball-and-chain" (which it can feel like due to the strict requirements, the power the clinic holds over your life, and being "tied" to the place by having to go there every day to get your daily dose (or less frequently if you've been a long-time client who has proven to be trustworthy and serious about their recovery and following the rules...but "less frequently" is still at least a couple times a month. And that's if you've been a model client for like 5+ years with not so much as an inability to pee one day, or any other of even the minor of "infractions." It is VERY easy to lose all your "carries" and have to start from scratch at square one again, and VERY hard to earn those carries to begin with. The end result of all this is that the vast majority of MMT patients must go to the clinic every day (except Sundays, when most are closed) to get their dose. It IS a rough gig...but not nearly as "rough" as an active heroin addiction that's for sure.

Good luck in whatever you do everyone!
Regards,
Curtis

Good luck in whatever you do everyone!
Regards,
Curtis