Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
How long does the restless legs/insomnia last during Norco (10/325) las...

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

How long does the restless legs/insomnia last during Norco (10/325) last?

I know that there is no cookie cutter answer to this, but I hope to get some sort of idea as to when the restless legs and insomnia will subside during Norco withdrawal? I've been taking them for about 9 months now, and am up to sometimes 6 at a time (when I want a stronger feeling) every 4 hours or so (so about 35-40 a day), sometimes I sleep through the night, sometimes I wake up once to take some & finish my nights rest. Anyway, I've had to withdrawal a few times due to the fact that I couldn't get any for a couple of days, 2 days was the longest. I thought at first maybe I had acquired RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) during my addiction, but then I noticed that it was a withdrawal symptom (or at least I hope & pray). To me, this is the ABSOLUTE worst part of it, I can handle the bad flu parts, but the fact that I feel that sick with flu like symptoms where you just want to lay in bed & veg, due to my restless legs, I can't even lay down and need to move around non-stop, around the clock, there is no relief at all (at least in the 2 days I experienced), and the other crappy part is that I have absolutely no energy to keep moving around for them, *****! it's a no win situation. I've tried sleeping pills, xanax (1/4 of a 1mg, kinda scared of them) etc, but for me, they just make me that much more tired, but I CANNOT fall asleep still, so im even more tired, and still awake! It's H-E-double hockey sticks. Can't believe I even got myself into this :(. anyway, point is, Im ready to quit and be me again (without pills) & I just want an idea on what Im in for when it comes to my restless legs and sleepless nights. Thanks!
Also, I've been ready to quit, just sooo scared to (for the reasons above). For the last couple months, I cry at least every other day, that God will give me the strength to just get through it. And once I do conquer this, I know that I will never, and I mean NEVER touch one again.
Hi!  I can't really tell you a day that they will stop, but it will be around day 5 to 7???  Have you tried Mag/Cal supplement and Hylands Restful Legs.  They both work wonders!  I couldn't believe how well they worked for something OTC!  I remember the feeling of needing to be moving all the time, but I had no energy to do it.  OMG.....that was a horrible feeling, so I know why you want to know when it will be over!  Try the stuff I said and a hot bath before you go to bed.  Put your legs on a heating pad or wrap them tightly in a blanket.  That gives them some support and kind of keeps them from wanting to jump out of the bed without you attached to them!!!! : )

Sorry!  It gets better!
Hi Taryn

I would say day 5-7 too, so hope for 5!

Drinking tonic water helps too. Add some fruit juice if you don't like the taste.

You don't need to ask for strength. You've already got it. Just stay determined and you WILL get through it. Stay with the list and everyone will help you as much as they possibly can.

Take care
Woah, 5-7 days seems so long, the 2 days I went through was even hard (no sleep/energy, sick, and restless legs where I couldn't even sit for more then a few mins), but I know its worth a life-time without the pills...I haven't tried any of those, but have read other posts that suggest them as well, so I will def give them a try. I hope I get the relief, & SLEEP, otherwise i'll be a walking zombie for that long, aaaaah.
do you know if you get normal nights sleep at least before the restless legs subside? and do you both know if the feeling of restless legs gets better as the days pass, or is it just bad during the entire 5-7 days! And I hope 5!
Oh yes, it's worth it!  I haven't seen a lot of people say it's easy, but everyone agrees that it's worth it!!! : )

Try what I suggested.  Put some Epsom Salt in the hot bath too.  I felt a little crazy doing it the first time, but it really did help relax me.
Hi Taryn

Sorry but yes it will disrupt your sleep. The things we've suggested will help a lot but there are other remedies to help you sleep (you may have already read about them in other posts).

My favourites are the natural amino acid 5HTP which helps with the withdrawal, calms you down and helps you sleep; and Valerian Tincture which is a herbal sleep aid. They are both natural and non habit forming and you can get them from any good healthfood store or online.

You should also lay in a stock of paracetamol and ibuprofen for aches and pains. (Avoid ibuprofen if you have stomach problems or asthma; otherwise it's safe to take them both together. Don't buy any painkiller with codeine in it. Not even a small amount!

You should also get some imodium (immodium) for diarrhoea. I often suggest travel sickness tablets for nausea, but if you take too many they make your legs twitch, so in your particular case they'd be a bad idea!!

Obviously it's important to flush all the pills in your house, including your emergency stash, your secret stash and your emergency secret stash!

It's good to have someone who can support you too. Do you have a partner, relative or trusted friend that you're happy to talk openly to?

Feel free to ask for further info, and let us know when you've decided your stopping date.

Take care
Oh yes, it will disrupt sleep until it goes away!  Sorry.  There is no easy answer to stopping it.  You just have to keep trying things until you get it.  I have heard of people having it longer than a week, but that's pretty unusual.  Unfortunately, as far as my personal experience, there was no "level" of RLS.  I either had it or I didn't!  It doesn't really get "better".  It just stops.  At least that is what happened to me.

Please just know that no matter what, this is temporary.  Staying in your addiction, if you do it, is permanent and can't stop until you go through this temporary evil stuff!  
do u know if the restless legs and sleeplessness, is just as bad the ENTIRE 5-7 days or as the days pass does it get better? I know it's almost pointless since I will have to go through it no matter what, and will, but just makes me feel better knowing what Im in for.

And yes, I have my mom & my fiance (he's in same boat im in, but he has a broken back, so he needs them, and on top of that, he'll have surgery soon, so he'd be in the same predicament soon anyway due to surgery even if he did quit & he'd have to do it twice (well 3 times), so he's waiting until afterward. i say third, because he quit cold turkey once & dealt with his back pain but them he didn't sleep anymore & his quality of life went way down due to his pain). but for me this isn't a problem, him having & needing them, I am strong & dont want them...so I will get through it. And even if we did go through the w/d's together we'd do them separately since we have a young daughter to tend and care for.

Thanks for your guys responses. Mean alot.
Makes sense on the no level part, did you get days with more relief during the 5-7 days, or was it non-stop during that time until it finally stopped? Cause some say  they get relief during the day & its right before bed that the legs work overtime & become the worst...for me, its all day/all night! aaaah
sorry, more relief meaning, maybe no feeling of it some days/hours, or is it non-stop til its gone at the end?
Well, I have to say that once I started taking the things I told you about and hot baths with heating pads afterward, I quit having them.  And I never had it at all during the day.  I had horrible restless arms???????  Weird!  VERY weird!  My arms were all over the place.  I would wrap myself TIGHT in an electric blanket and turn it on.  That did soothe me some.  I would fall asleep and then jerk really bad and wake up feeling anxious and horrible.  That went on for about 3 days for me.  Maybe 4.  Then, i was so tired of it, I tried the stuff, and it got better.  Within a week I could sleep for about 3 hours a night.

Everyone is different.  Can you go to the store before bed?  The stuff and hot bath will help you!
Oh....the other thing.  Drink gatorade and apple juice.  AJ is loaded in potassium.  That helped me a lot too.  Your body is depleted of lots of good stuff when you detox and from the years of abuse!  That causes your legs and back to ache and feel restless!
It's really hard to say Taryn, because everyone's an individual and everyone will react differently.

What I am pretty sure of, is that if you use the advice and remedies we've suggested, it'll be a lot easier than it was before.

You'll also get lots of other tips and advice from other people on the list and you should consider them all.

Everyone wants to try and make it a bit easier for you.

Take care
I get it more on my right side, it's almost so bad on the one side that my other side seems to be normal....right side, meaning, arm down to leg! It's not fun! And weird, too!

And I know no one person is the same or will experience the same things during these times, but my point more was for getting an idea in what to expect on this one withdrawal symptom I experience the most & feel is the worst of them all...either way, im going to do it, try the remedies given, & stay strong. And I will keep you posted on my progress! Can't wait 'til its over with.
You just hang in there!  It is hard to be patient, but it's really your only choice if you want to be free of drugs.  Let us know how you slept tomorrow morning! : )
I have been on Vicondan for four and half years, I cut down for a month and then 7 days ago I quit, the leg movements is going to drive me nuts. Or I  should say I am nuts. I handled the flu systoms but the moving legs are the wrost!! I am ashamed but last night at 1:30 I took  a vicoden slept for 7 hours the first time in 7 nights. I just don't know how much longer I  can stand the no sleep and my legs never stop moving!!
My hubby is currently withdrawing from them and his only lasted about 3-4 days.  He was a heavy user too, like 20-30 10mg yellows a day, so I think it depends on the person really.  I was advised for him to take Valerian root and it worked for him for the RLS.  You can try it, he's not sick anymore and says it just messes him up now, but at first it helped a LOT.  Also he said he took a hot bath all the time, like ALL the time he got in the bath and used epsom salt to help his muscle and bones.  good luck and remember you can do it!!!  
i have had a addiction with pain killer's for 7 years, i was put on these tablets in hospital and then giving them to take home .And i been on them on repeat ever since. i decided ehough was enough, i been clean now 4 10 days, all the bad sickness and acing legs are not to bad now. i do feel in a bad mood all the time, i have slept 5 hrs in 5 days. i am very very tierd but cant sleep, do you know hw long it will last please
PILLHEAD