Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
How long it will take to detox from Vicodin?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I have been taken Vicodin 5/500 and 7/700 for more than two years now.  I am sick and tired of going around looking for the medicine.  One of the doctors that prescribes the medicine is actually being investigated by the DEA, therefore his prescriptions are not good any longer.  I feel trap and want to stop depending on them, now that the pain is finally gone (Cervical Hernia).  Yesterday I did not pick up my prescription, however, this morning I was completely out of commission.  The level of energy was 0 and have gone to the bathroom several times.  I read about the Thomas recipe.  It sounds like everyone is going through the same thing.  I am kind of scared and wonder if I should check my self out into a detox center.  The idea is horrendous to say the least.
Can any of you let me know if I can do this on my own?   In the solitude of my home......just go through the w/d.  Today I have not eat, or do I have any desires of eating.
How long will I feel like this?  To top it all off I am moving in a few days. (Sold my house).  Should I wait to detox after....I need help.
Thanks,
JCB
How many pills were you taking? I took vicodin 10/350 6 per day for 6 years then started taking oxy for my runout time.
I was down to 40mgs a day when I went cold turkey. I tooks about a week for the chills and the s****. to stop.  Then it's the body aches and  negative thoughts you have to exercise, and drink lots of water as you go through this.
I would'nt put off getting clean for any reason. I always thought the pills gave me super energy. I find I get alot more done and better without them.
You can do this. Congrats on the decision to get clean. Keep posting. The wds will not be nearly as bad as you have imagined them in your head.
I totally agree with Clamity!! You can do this!! All the best to you!
How much were you taking each day?  has alot to do with how long it will take..usually up to a week and sometimes less depending
Its different for everyone. 2 years isn't too bad. how much everyday?

I found weaning down to 10mg a day and then quitting was the easiest. I did experience some withdrawl (withdrawal) during the weaning but not as bad as cold turkey. When i quit completely, I was expecting the worst. And it wasn't really bad. The second or third nite i couldn't get to sleep. that was about it.

good luck- just remember the longer you wait, the more addicted you get
( 5 months clean and feeling great! )
Jack B it helps to know how many for how long at your worst... if you were like me, you have changed your brain's physiology and it take at least a month to feel better.  If tapers never work for you, you may be a good candidate for suboxone.
i was taking 50-60mgs of hydro/oxy everyday for 4yrs..i use to take them for fun b4 i had shoulder surgey & never got addicted to after surgery..it took me 13days b4 i felt normal again..now i just take 3 pills for 3-4 times a month just 4 fun ,,,i kno its risky of gettn hooked again, but i suffered threw withdrawls & from that experience ill never get hooked again,,plus i know my liver cant handle the abuse any more,,u can get ur life back just hang in there...it feells good waking up & not worrying bout pills or feeling sik if i dont have any,,i got my life back but i still hve fun with them a few nights a month but i got the control not to abuse them this time