Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
How long until insomnia goes away (Tab Withdrawal)

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Day 6 and still fighting.  Some symptoms are better and others are still there!  I still have anxiety and a hot burning feeling in my upper body and scalp/hair!  I think my insomnia hit its peak last night as I don't think I dosed off at all!!  When does the sleep problem start to go back to normal for most?  I was only taking 3-4 10/500 a day but it was for 3 years!!  I'm just ready for this to be over.
I posted something to consider in your other thread..:)
Thanks David,
       I am really just trying to tough it out unless I go crazy and have to take something.  I really don't like to take anything even OTC stuff.  I don't know I guess I will keep strong and see how it goes!  Thanks for the input though.  Hopefully I get an appetite back soon too!!  I would still love to hear what time frame others ran into until they started sleeping ok again!!  Thanks to all
You wont go crazy.  What you are feeling is normal and wont last forever.  Its hard to put a time line on this as we are all different.  Have you tried taking a warm bath before bed?  I know the lack of sleep suks so keep hanging in there.

Congrats on 6 days!!  You are doing great!!            sara
Congratulations on Day 6!  

I am only day three well four as it is morning here.  I was an evening pill popper for the relaxed feeling it did for me.  You can see my post under similar questions.  I was told that tonight may be my worst night...I am hoping not because I have not slept for three days now and need my strength for work and my children.  I have not tried a warm bath before I go to bed as I am normally running around doing chores and lunches and trying to wind down the kids and by then feel too exhausted to even run a bath but nevertheless should try it as it may help calm my nerves and relax me.  I hope things get better for you as I pray for myself as well.  Please keep posting and I will wait to hear from you and will have the comfort knowing someone else is dealing with the same things I am.  Knowing you are not alone is one of the reasons I am on here.  If anyone posts anything negative, understood and I will try to not take it personal but I am here to hopefully engage and speak with other people going through similar situations or those who will support me while I am going through this.  

Take care and congratulations again!!!

Ok this is good.........well obviously not good, but as I am also in my 6th day of recovery and last night I was in pain and had absolutely no sleep at all. Every night since starting I have been gatting about 1 and half hours sleep and then waking up feeling crappy and I would then run the hottest bath I could stand with muscle relaxnts thrown in. Last night was the first night I had no sleep at all, and I was really exhausted and discouraged this morning because I thought it would get better not worse, but since we both seem to be following the same patterns, it would seem that this must be normal in certain people or body types maybe. I thought it was becaus eof the amount of pain I was in, but Ive been in pain since day 1 but still managed some sleep even if only an hour at a time. I think this is good news for us, that we just need to take this one day at a time and keep on keeping on until it finally gets better..........Good luck I will pray for you................cheers Christine
I would try the health food store for natural sllep aids . They helped me along with the Hylands RLS pills. Sleep slowly gets better take it when you can get it. I sleep pretty well now but it took 3 weeks before I was sleeping close to normal.
HI....doing this and sleeping dont mix well at night I would roll up on the couch with some soft music playing in the background and just lay with my eyes closed and sorta go into a deep rest...not sleep but probably as close to it as your going to get doing this...the one thing I found that helped me was to run a bath as hot as you can stand it...it should burn a bit getting in...soak for as long as you can stand it even if its just 5 or 10 min...get out and lay down in bed on top of the covers and dry off from there...then just let your self air cool
this should relax you enough for sleep...I had to do this for 2 mo of methadone post withdrawals to get past the sleep thing and then it would only put me to sleep I was waking up at 3 in the morning wired for sound....time is the only real cure ...I also had some success with sleepy time tea..would drink 2 cups b/4 bed...I was desperate and was ready to try just about anything...it eventually goes back to normal for a moderate pill habit 2 weeks is usually when you start sleeping again but everybody is different
just that God your not coming off methadone it was 2 friggin mo b/4 sleep came back to me...you will be suprised on how little sleep you can get by on hang in there it will get better good luck and God bless......Gnarly  
Well today is DAY 9 clean and i'm feeling so much better, still not sleeping well but managing to get a couple hours or so. I know I can't wait to sleep a full night again!!!  I am the type of person that needs at LEAST 8 HOURS of sleep.  But it's all getting better and i'm feeling great compared to a few days ago. God Bless to all and keep praying miracles happen all you have to do is ask in prayer and be willing to change!!!!
9 days is awesome man!! You'll be sleeping very soon just hang in there.
Glad to hear you are doing better and yes it does get better. But watch out for a bad day be ready for the day that you feel like crap and you know that a pill would fix it right up. Thats when you have to dig deep and keep your focus on the task at hand.
I am almost 6 months into recovery and I am sleeping much still. I have to say though that besides giving up my vicodin  and soma's I like that idea of being clean so I also went off of 2 benzo's ativan and halcion and after that was accomplished I got off of my anti-depressant and trazadone which I use to help with sleep. It is hard sometimes but I am hanging in there,

I am doing the following things to help and it might work for you too. I have started changing my bedroom. I am going for the look of relaxing and peaceful. I have added a down mattress cover which makes the bed so much more relaxing. Then I added a thin down comforter with a nice peaceful color duvet on the light weight side. I added some sun blocker curtains and even cleaned my dresser off and added soothing large pieces of art and some candles. I now rid my messy dresser good bye. I did away with perfume bottles and pictures of the family and sent them to other places in the house. I am hoping all this will make my room more comforting and relaxin and help with some peaceful nights of sleep. I was told by my therapist though that as long as I am laying down and resting my body is something and that sleep will come.

I have also started on the rest of the house, changing minor things and making it look easier to keep neat. Clutter depresses me and I don't have much energy right now anyway.

In the end I am going to have the look of peaceful and relaxing inviting home and I am praying that in the end it will help me with not feeling so down and tired all the time.

Remember that the insomnia will pass eventually and not getting so upset about it will go a long way in your recovery. If you are anxious about it all the time it is not helping you with your goal. So try to relax and remember things will get better.

I wish luck with your recovery and I know you can do this. Just take a lot of inner strength to overcome. Be one of the winners and your future will be much brighter.

Good Bless.............Janet
Thats great news Trying2Change. I hope LoisandClark checks in and reads what you just posted about day 9. She needs encouragement as she's at day 4 I believe and early AM this morning wrote that she doesn't think she can make it..

Keep counting those days!
Day 10 and feeling even better!!!!!!!!!!  Every day I feel a little better,  this morning was a little rough but much better this afternoon!!!!!  I just need sleep so badly and i'm not gonna take anything Rx!!  I tried benedryl two nights ago and it helped a little I think I got three hours of sleep or so!  But then felt hung over the next day.  I have some valerian root and think I may try it tonight but I don't know.  Just wish sleep would come back already!  Other that that everything is all good:-)  To anyone else going through withdrawals right now it does get better I promise!!!!!!!!!!!
Congradulations!  You almost have this thing beat.....The sleep thing is kind of funny, it comes back quickly for some but slower for others.  I am about 70 days off of methadone and about a month off of any kind of opiate.  I am definetly sleeping better but no where near normal yet.  I use Benadryl and I also use melatonin.  Melatonin is excellent in combination with the valerarian root and also acts as an antioxident that helps purge your system of the remaining toxins and bi-products of your opiate use.  Starting out years ago I started out taking about as much hydro as you were using and you should be about done with the physical affects.  Where you will need to really fight is in about a month when you have long forgotten the misery you went through and that is when a craving will sneak up on you.  This is where aftercare comes in handy!  Keep this in mind.....every time you relapse and then try and quit it becomes increasingly worse.....Each time I detoxed it became worse and worse.  This is the time to jump off and stay off.  I by no means ever was as bad as some on here but if I could have jumped off years ago when my habbit was manageable, I would have saved a lot of undo torture.  Like I said I have a little bit of time now and I still have symptoms.....Good luck!
The sleep thing is a continuing aggrevation for sure. Thats great. It seems like there's been a wave of people coming in the past few days in their 3rd,4th, or 5th day saying they are totally despondent and see no end in sight.

Hopefully they will catch up to your thread and see that if they just hang on a few more days, they will start to see thing change for the better..I'm happy for you :)
DAY 11 and even better!!  Feeling great, still could not really sleep with melatonin, valerian root, and rose hips!!!  It made me sleepy but I just kept dosing and waking all night till about 3am  then it was just awake lol.  I know it's getting better though.  Yesterday I actually went out to eat at outback steakhouse with my wife and son for dinner which is great cause my anxiety has been making me not want to leave the house. But everything is getting better every day!!!  I think the worst part about it at this point is the no sleep.  I think people confuse depression and anxiety and stress with just not being able to sleep. No sleep takes a huge toll on the body and mind!  But I keep faith in God and keep praying and I know things will be perfect soon!!
I still just want to SLEEP!!!!  I wish it would hurry up and come back to me!!
Right with you on that T2C. Its a lingering pain in the butt. Hopefully around day 14 that will lightin up some. Thats when I started getting more than 35 minutes at a time. I started getting spell inbetween an hour up to 2 sometime as the days progressed...
Hey we are clean the exact same days and I was nearly going out of my mind with the no sleep thing. I tried all the natural remedies. Didnt work. Hot baths only made it easy to get to sleep but not stay asleep anymore than anhour. I tried herbal teas, hot milk etc.Yesterday someone told me to try nytol. Last night i took a hot bath then a nytol and for the first time since this nightmare I actually slept. It was only for about 4 hours but what a wonderful 4 hours they were. Its amazing how much better I felt today after having some sleep. I urge you to try that. Even a lot of my anxiety and stress has gone today. You wont die from not sleeping, but its not good for your body. ..........Christine
Well last night was the best sleep I have had in about two weeks!!  All I did is take 2 benadryl before falling asleep and I slept for about 4 hours and then woke up BUT I was actually able to fall asleep again afterwards for about 1-2 hours and then woke up again but was able to fall asleep again for another hour!!!!!  So in total I got probably 6-7 hours of sleep!!!!!  It's amazing and I don't give all the credit to the benadryl cause I took 2 a couple of times about a week ago and slept maybe and hour!  So I think the sleep thing may be is starting to turn in my favor!!!  I HOPE!  Well God Bless to all
I'm also gonna try and find nytol like iwannabefree sugested!!!  It's all worth a try when you can't sleep!!!
After looking it up Nytol is actually the same thing as benadryl as far as the active ingredients.  Unless you get the Nytol herbal where as for me melatonin and valerian root didn't help really.  But I'm pretty sure my sleep is starting to try and get better!!  I HOPE
Oh this post, while freaking me out a little because I'm only at about 48 hours, is giving me hope.  Thank you all so much!

I've been taking Lorcet off and on for about 3 years.  In the beginning, just like most people, only when I absolutely needed them.  I could go for months at a time without them but always went back to help with pain.  Then recently I realized I was taking 6-10 a day no longer just for pain, but to "feel good".  I'm ashamed and miserable, and I have to stop.

So about noon on the 9th, I took half of a 7.5mg and nothing since.  It's hell on earth.  I'm 38 years old, happily married with 4 kids.  No one suspects a thing.  I have to stop and get my life back.

The original pain is bearable, but the nausea, anxiety, depression, fatigue...the shakes and the restless leg thing at night is driving me crazy.  I feel like a walking time bomb, and I'm scared I'll give in.  It's an effort to walk through my house right now.

Ten days and you're still not sleeping well??  Is it likely to be that long before any of the symptoms ease up??  UGH... say a prayer for me.  I'm certainly sending up one for you.
Hi want2befreeagain ( long name :) ...

read the amino acid protocol and the thomas recipe on the health pages ( right side of your screen ) there are some advices to alleviate a little thoose symptoms, don't be scare, it is doable :)

also try the Hylands restful legs and a magnesium+calcium supplement for RLS... eat potasium rich food like bananas, tomato, apple /orange juice to help you too... tonic water ( it has quinine on it ) .. take a lot of hot baths with epsom salts...

good luck :)
I actually have been able to sleep the past two nights pretty darn well praise God!!  Just so you know the first 4-5 days or so really sucked but it was great and I feel so much better now!!!   I actually had about the same lortab problem as you and on top of that stopped smoking ciggs and pot at the same time!!!!  So it's not that hard and anyone can do it!  I have a wife and a five year old son that gave me my motivation.  A week or so of being uncomfortable, to be able to live and be there with them longer in life (and sober) that is something irreplaceable!!  I am on day 13 and would have suffered longer if I needed to for my family sake.  It was really hard and I thought I was dying a few times lol but it was all so very worth it!!  If you need anything  don't hesitate to ask!!  God Bless and I have already said a prayer for you and your family!!  Be strong and it will be over before you know it!!
Thank you so much for the advice.  I went straight to the side bar and read everything.  I've made my list and will be off to GNC in a little while.  I know that this still isn't going to be easy even with help.  If it was, this board wouldn't exist, but anything that will help at this point, I'm willing to try.

I can't even imagine stopping the pain pill, cigarettes, and pot all at the same time!!  You are an inspiration to me.  Thank  you!

I'm due to refill a prescription on Wednesday.  This isn't the first time I ran out early, but with all my heart, I want it to be the last.  I'm not going to get them Wednesday.  I know I should be taking it one day at a time, but more than anything, that's what I'm praying for... that Wednesday comes and goes without me making a trip to the pharmacy.

Thank you so much.
Well today is my 14 days clean the famous two week mark and I feel almost perfect.(almost) lol.  I had pretty much no sleep last night at all but I did not take any benadryl either cause I had already taken it two days in a row.  I am trying to not take anything usually because I do not want my body getting used to it!!  I want my body to go back to normal on its own!!!  Just a little benadryl every now and then cause I have to sleep sometime!!!! lol well anyways I hope everyone else is doing well and to anyone still in that first week just hang on, relief is right around the corner!!!!  God Bless to all
You should call the pharmacy and cancel the prescription just to make sure you don't give in.  Trust me I've been in your shoes and ended up giving in and then months later been right back at this sight trying to give up again.  
Yout rebounding very quickly Trying2Change. Far faster than the majority..Looks like you are one of the lucky souls..Your well on your way to success here..Good job!  

This should serve as a great example for those considering quiting but have read too many horror stories about wd's and are hesitant to take that step. This shows them that everyone is different and they may not have the extremes they have conditioned their minds to believe is going to hit them due to what they've seen :)
I've been following a lot of peoples detox stories and trying to psyche myself up for my own detox which will be Oct.22 I know I'm in for it..my body is rightfully pissed off at me for abusing it and no doubt it'll let me know that real soon. I'm going into a detox for a few days because I don't want my kids to see me at thr worst of it and I'm scared because last time I passed out cold during detox!! So to alleviate my fears I'm going to a detox place for the weekend and although I'll still be in withdrawals when I get out I'm praying the worst will have passed and I'll be able to function enough to take care of my young kids. God I hope so!! I'm going to take the Thomas recipe stuff with me to detox. Thanks for sharing your story and your in my prayers. Reading this inspires me that I can do it too.
I don't follow what your saying to Laurel...Cancel what prescription?
Do you have a thread started about what your about to do Back _2_Life?
I found your thread and bumped it with a question for you to get it back out in the open..:)
Yea rebounding quickly about everything exept sleep!!!  It's ok though I am going to be taking my magical benadryl tonight lol .  I still have a little lack of energy and motivation but like we all say stay positive eat healthy, exercise, and push on harder than ever!!!!!!  Anyone can do it!!!!!!!  Espescially with Gods help!!!
Well took the magic benadryl last night and slept for 6 hours!!!  It was great!!!  Just wish it would come back now without me having to take anything!!  I just keep praying.  God bless to all..
oh by the way today is day 15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alright i'm taking a benadryl so I hope it works LOL because I am tired!!!!!!!!!  I only took 1 last night and slept pretty well where as  I was having to take 2 before so I hope maybe soon i'll be able to sleep without anything!!  NO SLEEP ***** !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Day16,  I feel great I bought some bicycles and went riding all over the place with my family for about an hour today.  Wow it's been a long time since I rode a bicycle.  I have been walking and jogging a little almost every day but I thing the bike was much better for wearing myself out.  Maybe I'll be able to sleep tonight without any benadryl!!! lol  I only hope!!
Day 1..... I have been on Vicodin 10/500 for almost 10 years... I can't do this anymore... I noticed a few years ago that the pain was just worse... So I took more Pain Medications. I have read your blogs and feel scared but better that I somewhat know what to expect... Please Pray for me...
Prayers noted :)..I wish you well with this..It ain't no fun for sure..Looks like you did some homework first..Wish I had last year before it was too late..But, as they say,,"practice makes perfect"(sometimes:)..What a wild ride its been...Truly am wishing you well quickly..