Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
How long will it take my opiate brain to reset itself?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I have been taking Opana (oxymorphone) for 4 years, and am detoxing from it for so long that I feel like I am losing my mind from it.  I would love to know how long it will take to get my old brain back.  I am fearful a good bit of the time now.  I mean extremely fearful throughout my life.  I have no desire to travel or go into any unknown situation.  I am wondering how long, and if I can indeed, be healed.  Thanks Marie
Tags: taper, opana
hi Maria it can tak a wile to regain what we lost like Brian said it was just a few weeks for him and jimmy said about 45 days for me it was about 90 days to start to feel well but I came off methadone and its know for long detox periods a old rule is 1 mo for every yr you used its not carved in stone but it tends to be true best bet is take it a day at a time dont rush it or try to put a time frame around it it is truly different for everybody good luck and God bless.......Gnarly
I'm sure you've heard the saying, "90 meetings in 90 days". The reason they came up with 90 is because they say it takes 90 days for our brains to completely get back to normal. I personally don't think it takes that long but it probably comes down to what we were using and for how long we were using it. When I last detoxed I was taking large amounts of vicodin, oxy, opana etc. When I ran out of my script for the month I would pretty much take any pill I could get my hands on. I went ct and I felt pretty much back to normal after about 10 days except for insomnia which lasted about another week.

We are all different so many things come into play. Once you take that last pill your brain will start repairing itself immediately and that's why we feel the withdrawals. It's our brains way of working itself out. I can assure you that your brain will repair itself though. You have nothing to fear. The longer we stay on the pills the longer it's going to take but the damage will be reversed. I'm living proof as are many others.
I can tell you it took me about 45 days . We are all different in that respect...Good luck..Jimmy