Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
How much...or how little...should I tell my primary care doctor?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Well its day 13 and although I haven't hit the "Rosey" period I've heard of I'm still hanging in and feel alot better. Thanks for all the help!!
Now on to my question. I haven't seen a doctor for a physical in years because of my addiction. I decided it might be a good idea to go ahead and do a little damage inventory and I set an appt. for next friday, the 28th. So, how much should I tell him? Should I tell him at all? Are there any tests I should specifically ask for? My biggest concern is that after making this appt., (I pretty much picked him off a list of providers from our insurance co.) I learned that he also runs a Suboxone clinic. IN my head this could be a good thing or a really bad thing. I don't want to trade one adiction (addiction) for another. I went through 4 days of hell and I'm not eager to repeat it. Anyone with any suggestions would sure help me out here. Thanks again every one...you all mean more to me than you can imagine......Cindy
Well, in general it's probably best to be as honest as you can with your doctor.  But I can understand why someone might be hesitant.  Though I imagine if he runs a Suboxone clinic then he's very aware of addiction and that might be in your best interest to have a doctor with that kind of background (not saying you'll need his expertise in that.)

I'm sure there will be people commenting that may have more experience when talking to their doctors, both good and bad.
Soboxone works best in detox. If you have past detox you wont need it. But there are many other meds that can be given to you to help at this point. I was honest with my doctor and got one more person to add to my support group. She was great and I am so glad I told her. I suggest you tell him every thing. That way he knows what tests to run.
Sandy
Well done on appointment! Congrats of coming through 4 days of hell, you have done it Cindy, hang in there. I would say, tell the doctor everything or he is working in the dark and the clinic sounds good, you need all the help you can get. Thinking of you, Nicky.
having come as far as you have, i would tell all and put the sub out of your mind. are you a chronic relapser of the long time kind? if not, stick to your guns. i think doctors can give the best help when given the most honest information. any doctor who could examine me and NOT find the signs of abuse isn't worth the time spent in the waiting room, so having one who deals with addicts is a good thing. best of luck! peace, sway