Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
How to Quit Suboxone... Or try to stop Suboxone...

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hi! I have been on Suboxone for approximately 1 year and 3 months for an opiate problem I had. I started out @ 2 8mg orange pills/ day, I am on 1/4 in the morning and 1/4 @ night now. Suboxone makes me seriously feel like a Zombie and I am tired of being out of it all the time. I am in College and can't remember jack and it's from the Subs. I am motivated to quit but it is very hard. I have 9 pills left and am not going back to my Dr.. My Doctor charged me $280 for a drug Urine Test (after insurance paid for most of it), I am so mad about it. Anyhow, I am weening off and will be off subs soon hopefully. Any advice for quitting? I know my Energy level will be down and sleep may be hard. I just really want to stay motivated and knock-it so I can stop feeling like a Zombie and looking like one. I feel like I am mentally challenged when I am on them, it doesn't feel good anymore, it just feels better than "bad." REMEMBER WHEN DRUGS WERE FUN? I sure do. I will let you all know of my progress if you are interested, Thanks for any support! I am here to help if anyone is going through this as well. e-mail me @ ***@**** to say "HI" or "How ya doin" or "I am trying to quit too" or anything! I am bored 21/7. haha Later Gals and Gents, I hope to report back here with success soon, Your Boy: Pj 0lson
One suggestion Id make is to try and get at or below 1mg of suboxone before you quit. You said your taking 1/4morning and 1/4 at night so your at 4mgs right now, the lower the dose that you jump off at is for the better. I actually tapered down to a tiny crumb of a 2mg tablet(around .25mgs) before I quit, it was still pretty tough to kick. You may want to look into the health pages and check out the amino acid protocol or the thomas recipe, it could be beneficial to you when you quit. Keep posting your progress, all the more information we can get about others experiences with suboxone just helps us all have a little better understanding. I'll be rooting for you, take care.
I definately agree with TysonRed.  Try to get yourself down to a crumb or sliver.  Also, try to change your dosing to once a day to get yourself out of the am/pm dosing habit.  If you have 9 left you can shave them down and take tiny bits - as little as possible.  Jumping from 4mgs is a lot.  I quit at 1mg and it was no fun - believe me.  You sound very motivated and I am glad you are ready to let go of the subs.  Good for you.  Get a smart game-plan together and stick to it.  Be strong.  You can do this. Ill be rooting for you too.  Good luck.
I Thought 1/4/ day was a low dose, the orange pills are 8mg so 1/8 would be 2mg, i'll get down to that while I have the chance. And Tysonred, I am going to look for that amino acids protocol, what is it for? refusingbondage, thanks for the support, you are my 1st friend on here!
i too was addicted to subs im telling you you have to get down to taking crumbs on my last days it was just the taste of those pills that got me through an finally when i dident have any more it was very hard but 3 months later i feel better then i ever felt! free from the bondage of those pills an the pain i had in my body that i thought i was taking the pills for was all gone i have never felt better !you can do it!
what kind of withdrawal symptoms can i expect to see my boyfriend go through while tapering off the subs.? he's been on them for 5 months now and he is like a zombie most of the time as well. what can i do to help him through this?
I just started taking this medication and it makes me feel better but as i read some of these stories, Is it a drug just in place of another? Anyone have an opinion?
I'm here with you, I want to quit suboxone too.  I'm thinking about quiting using the thomas recipe, I can't afford it anymore.
Ive been eating oxys for 2 yrs and have one hell of ahabit going, im 28 hrs into my detox and at 24 i ate a 1/4 sub then 2 hrs later i ate another 1/4 and im stopping there for the nite. It helped a little My Dr told me to take 3 whole ones a day, NO FING WAY! I wish he would have never given me the oxys for my back  it doesnt even hurt anymore.I tried this last yr and couldnt hang and ate the oxys again after 10 days on subs and i was taking about 1 to 1/2 a day in 1/4s. A few times i took a 1/2.I regret the hell out of not stopping everythign then, but it is what it is now , A long drawn out addiction , a shameful issue for me a i was 8 yrs clean.I knew better.im paying a hell of a price. I know i cant do days 3, 4, 5, 6. I will pick up and im never breaking the law again, a durg deal 15 yrs ago got me in the pen for almost 5 yrs that went bad. Havent been in trouble sicne, it was by far the lowest point in my life and now this.I plan on trying something very similar to what is mentioned for a few weeks on the subs,for me i believe i can do that if i dont let them get to me for long term crutch,it will be hard, but harder and pr;onged pain if not, i know by reakding thse baodrds and feel for all of youp on here,its miserable to withdrawl (withdrawal), Kick whatever you want to call it, i wish it on no one.I would love to hear some short story sub succes stuff and why would amino acids help you kick if you are eating right which of course im not today for sure .?
Im down to my last suboxone, and have been taking about a quarter sub for the past year. Im sooooooooooo worried because Ive been getting subs from my dealer to get off oxys. It turns out that he had just been locked up a few days ago and wont be out for a year. (I was frantic just 30 minutes ago when I had found out) I plan to cut this last pill into 10 pieces so the withdrawals wont be too horrendous. Note that for me there is absolutely no way to get suboxones anymore. I have cut off all the people that have been using so I wouldnt be tempted to keep using. I dont have anybodys number anymore and I feel very vulnerable. I currently do not have a job, but am a full time college student! I absolutely cannot fail class either!! I really need a friend right now for support which i do not have...If there is someone out there that is in the middle of quitting cold turkey, or is in the same position as me, please respond and help me get through this. Thank you...
hippielover its so awesome you are ready to quit, i can relate so much i dont know where to start, in the beginning sub was a heaven sent, i wrote blogs about it, told everyone i knew that it was the best thing to every happen to me, i thought it was the cure for my problem then i went into zombie mode like you were talking about, i had enough pills to taper but like any good addict as soon as i started tapering i took a weeks worth in 2 days, and repeated that until i had to go cold turkey, the detox was so bad i did the most retarded thing i could do, i went back on methadone, you see i used the sub to get off methadone and the methadone to get off of sub, i didnt realize that to quit drugs i had to quit drugs, so simple really but i just knew they were going to come up with another pill to fix me, basically i remember my methadone detox more so than the sub because i jumped from one to the other and then went ct off the methadone, all i can say about detox is to find help, its too hard to do alone, maybe na or if you can get into detox, all that matters is your ready, most patients i see in treatment will straight up tell you, i am not ready, but their parents are showing up for visitation ready to see improvements, you have made a declaration, "i am ready" thats all you need right now, see if your doctor will set you up a taper plan, if not i have contacts to a few professionals who will help, good luck, keep us posted,
I have a situation  my mom had been on meth for years about a month ago started suboxone ...very expensive if you have no insurance...well I have done my homework and advised her need to ween off this medication as if not will suffer very strong with drawls .....what is the best way to do this ....I had to pay for 21 pills 160.00 as she was let go from work and I was so afraid of her getting sick and possibly turning to other things to aliveviate the pain ...I love my mom and dont want to see her suffer ......please adv the best way to detox from suboxone.....
tray
Hello,i live in greece and i am in a government program because i have some problem with heroine.I am in this program 1 year now.They start me with 18mg subutex evry day and on friday they give us 32mg all together and 18 suboxone in home from sunday.My problem is that when it comes the time to quit this program how i'm going to feel??Im afraid...i dont want to go back to heroine again....
And the worst in this story is that a Greek company fix a medicine with the name PRENOVINE and giv it to us and say that is subutex...
BUT is not...all the guys have lost pounds and i mean alot pounds....and it isnt like subutex...its not so strong...now im in 14 mg pair day  and 28 for 2days but all together in our mouth...
How can  anyone help????i need help pleace...we need help...one guy after the other drings again heroine....
what can we do????  
hey guys i was an iv heroin user since i was 19 and then when i was 24 the task force kicked in my door for dealing to supply my habit. I was caught with intent to deliver 4 oz of coca an managed to flush my dope. So now im lookin at a serious amount of jailtime which sux period. Suboxone has been my crutch on and off for years and honestly its nothing but heroin light. Its just as bad in my opinion as heroin or oc or percs or whatever. Ive been researching cheap ways to get through the w/d easily. Heres what ive come up with buy 500grams of premium kratom leaf and brew about 5 gallons of tea with it. Kratom has a alkaloid in it that mimics opioids but it is not so after about the 2nd or 3rd day w/out suboxonone start drinking your tea drink enough to ease the w/d or just to go to sleep. But you must be careful because kratom also has addiction potential so seriously only use kratom when the pain gets unbearable which is usually about day three for me.  Benzos are also good for sleep and taking your mind off of the w/d but most drs wont rx u benzos when you have addiction in your past and they also are easy to get addicted to.  Ive found a legal benzo that is redily available for relativly cheap online and it is called phenazepam and it is super strength about double the potency of zanex mg per mg so if you do decide to use this method i would suggest getting yourself a mg scale b/c of how easy it is to od on the stuff.  These methods should be used in desparation which comes in waves in my opinion during w/d and im sure a bunch of people are rolling there eyes or there mouths are hanging open but **** them b/c coming off suboxone is the hardest thing you will ever have to do and for people like me the w/d is ******* unbearable and these are things ive done in the past to overcome these demons. Hope this was helpful to some one and best of luck with this satan pill it should have a pentagram on it not a cross;0
Hello,i live in Greece.Here the detox programs isnt like us or uk! I need a taper plan for this situation that i heat to be in! I am 2 years in sub,now i an in 12mg evry day.i have to take all this because i go to the program and they give it to me infront of them! My problem is that they soot my out from the program because i use and i can stop a Xanax from the sleep! Now,because im very sceart with all this i read from you guys,and i have to stop sub even if i don want or dont have ben taper down look what i have done! I have in my home 100mg sub and when i stop the program make a taper down plan with my owne way,2) i have a box of Tramadol for use it if i see that helps with the pain,and 3)i have 5 fentanyl patches 4x25mg and 1x50mg. But i never have use this things and im afraid! So PLEASE CAN ANYBODY GIVEME A SECURE PLAN WHAT TO DO AND HOW?im despert and i have start makeing thougths about kill my self! Please! I all let you now how im doing! The program will stop me in 2 weeks! HELP!nikos
Hi Nikos,

First you need to calm down. You are afraid and I understand that but it will not help your situation right now.

I assume that you began taking the Suboxone to get off of some other drug, pain pills perhaps? If so then you will want to continue down that road of being drug free once you come off of the Suboxone. Very important--you need to get rid of the Tramadol and the Fentanyl patches. If you use either of those to come off the Suboxone you will be back where you started 2 years ago and again, I am sure that is not your goal.

Have you spoke with your doctor about tapering from the Suboxone?
Yes i have speak with the doctor of the program and he said that he taper me down from 12mg sub in 3 weeks.....That is impossible from what i now.
The sub i have start them from quit Heroine.And for a saying the truth it was not my choice.i was Clean from everything 1 year but because my parents afraid that i involve again they send me to this **** program....and now i have lose my parents and i dont now what do do....they soot me out from the program from 12mg sub.....thats why i have colect any pills that can help me...but i dont now the way to do this.
The good is that i have doctor that help me in the first site and i have him to wach me....but and he dont now mach about suboxone.....
I just need a taper plan how to stop.i dont want to be again in heroine.
Dint anybody can give me a taper plan how to quit subs with this drugs i have???
100mg suboxone
4 durogesic 25mg and 1 50 mg
and a box of Tramadol.
I cant find any other drug even if i what it to....
Thanks.....
so glad I did not try that suboxone for my addiction.  cold turkey from percs were hard enough.  By reading all your posts i am sure I did the right thing to quit even though my therpist wanted me to try sub.

it seems that those that have never used cannot understand how bad it would have been for me to go from one addiction to another.
I am clean 10 days today.  not happy but trying

wendy
I have been on Norco's for over 6 years and I am trying to get off them.  Here's what I am doing...I am taking Wellbutrin SR 150mg and trying to taper off the Norco's I am on week 3 and am ok. I have had days were the nausea was so bad I thought I was going to die.  I also found the Thomas Recipe - you can google it.  

The thomas recipe says that if you are on an anti-depressant that you should not mix it, It can increase your blood pressure.  Well I have been taking the L-Tyrosine & Stress B Complex which is 2 ingredients in the recipe.  I am only taking one 500mg L-Tyrosine because when I tried 2 with the Wellbutrin it was making my heart race.

I really don't want to stop the Wellbutrin but I really believe that the L-Tyrosine is giving me energy that I need from detoxing from the Norco's.  My BP was up just like the recipe said so I didn't take any L-Tyrosine today and I feel exhausted.

So as long as you are not on any anti-depressant then I would suggest taking the Thomas Recipe - I believe it would help.
I just wanted to say that while I dont think sub is always the answer, there are plenty of success stories with sub as well.  Its just that old rule that bad press always prevails.

Suboxone treatment is a program not just a medication, and those that follow all aspects of the program have a much easier time coming off.

Again, its not the answer all the time.  But I came off sub at 3mgs after being on for over two years. Today I am 113 days clean and loving every minute of it!
Hi, you can wean off like people have suggested only I want to add that if you get a single edge razor blade you can cut the pills even smaller, like 1/16, I was taking an even smaller amount, like a little grain of sand at the end of when I got off Suboxone.  It's do-able. Good luck.
because if you have something positive with subs is that you work alot your mind so you dont go to heroine again! I have 2.5 years to teast it even if i see her every day! I wish you the best! Anyone with the way he can. We are doctors to our self! We now our body better than anyone,but remember that always in your back of your mind will be this **** call it Drugs!
Hey! I am 23 days off of Sub's. I jumped off at 2mg and didn't have any issues. The only thing that really sucked was on days 5-6 I had some anxiety. Nothing major but I tried to make it more than it was. Hang in there you can do it!!!! Best Wishes
Krissy
Ahhhh I went about 36 hours and finally at 4am I woke up from my excruciating daydream of a sleep and took 0.5 mg crumb. The nights are gonna be my weak point of getting over this damn drug. I guess I wasn't 100% committed even tho I swore I was. Will I ever be able to STOP!?
hi my name is jon and i have been getting subs on the streets for about a year now..i just went to the clinic yesterday and they started me on 2-8mg pills a day...i was doing alot less when i was paying for them but tthe catch is i have never taking them the right way...i been sniffing them the whole time and today is the first time i ever ate one and it was a whole one....i am scared of going up in dose because i am not sure i want to be on them..i use to do dope and all other opys but i was clean for 2 years from the hard stuff when i started sniffing subs...not to get high but i had just gotten off of hep.c treatment and felt real bad like i was dying...i tried the subs once and for the first time in forever i didnt feel like death and i had some energy....come to find out it may be my thyroid causing the death feeling and my cholesterol and triglycerides are thourgh the roof...or was but it is still high my triglycerides are 371 but was over 750 6 months ago...I am not even sure what i am getting at here but i can use some advice and some friends i am  a34 year old from jersey city and i have put myself thourgh hell and made it ....i am a good friend to have and can give good advice or feedback on just about anything but myself lol God bless all and good night..
I just joined this site as seeing every posy about beating the addiction has really motivated me. I started with a knee surgery,lor tabs then percocets and its been over a year now. I tried going sober many times but the WD's were horrible for me,I feel like I am weak mentally and for the first time ever I thought (just thought) about life being over and not having to do with this anymore,I felt powerless.. Really low point for me. So I got on suboxones today. I research alot  about this addiction and topics about it. I knew these things were dangerous. But reading what others have posted has me thinking to do subs for 21 days weaining down the 21 days then stopping. Dr told me 1-1.5 per day of the 8mg strips. I took1.25 today,I was worried if they would still work as I'm sleeping cause when I sleep sober its me sleeping in a wet sauna but sometimes I get freezing with the sweat freezing on me. Reading everyones stories has helped me so much,it's mostly what I think about during the day. What can I do during these 21 days to make sure all the old opiates are gone and minimize the WD's. I say someone asking for a friend,I'm looking for the same, This community is so helpful. I applaud those that stay on here and share their knowledge. You really are saving lives in my opinion. It has me thinking after these 21 days a new life is here and I'm going to love it and be drug free. I'll try to check this everyday as it has me thinking about the best plan to go sober and not how bad WD's are going to be but positive thoughts. If someone wants me to do a journal thing I can as I just finishing day 1
Timetomanup yes you can quit!! It's time to man up! I use the same quote for me. When I read your post I thought that you went 36 hours of none of it. Nights are my weakness too because I sweat so bad. But you can do it bro. I want to be sober the rest of my life and I think you can too. You seem motivated it's just that last step,try to cut it out of your mind. This is the first time I've given encouragement but just from reading your post you seem like your right there. Now you just gotta rid this thing for the rest of your life. Man up and that goes the same with me buddy.
Hi gully,

Welcome aboard. this post is two years old and the members you are talking to are no longer active. It would be best for us to get to know you if you would start your own post and ask any questions you need to. Go to the top of this page and hit the green Post A Question button. Follow the instructions to start your own thread and if you need any help, just ask.

Hope to see you out there...
Thank you
Hi i just read your post. If you just started taking the sub. try to quit as soon as you can. taper down. the longer your on it the harder it is to get off. Ive been on sub for 6 years+  and it is hard! Ive cut down from 2-8mg pills to
1\2 of a 8mg pill a day, that was hard. I still need to taper and quit but having a hard time. Its hard to function i have 2 kids too. good luck
Hi, I had been on an extended release morphine and norcos for over 6 years. Trying different things of and on to see what worked better for back pain. In the end loosing 60lbs. is what helped... I decided on March 15th 2011 that I was no longer going to be a slave to pain medicine, prescribed or not. I went to the Dr. after researching all of the different blogs and such and told him what I wanted to do. I was not leaving there without a suboxone prescription. He gave me a script, I took it to the nearest Walgreen's and an hour later was back in his office to take my first dose. He gave me a script for two 8mg doses taken once a day (two pill at a time) melted under your tongue.(not the most pleasant tasting, but when your in with-drawls who gives a ****) He had me take one pill at first to see if i could get by with one. No such luck, so I took the second one shortly after the first. It worked just fine and I felt great.
  The first and second night were the worst. I had really bad leg cramps and had a really hard time sleeping. Then the next few nights I couldn't sleep at all (side effect, got some house cleaning done). At the one week mark I lowered myself down to one 8mg pill per day. Some days were better than others and sometimes i would break up my doses to one every twelve hours, but at a week and a half I was down to one pill a day. At two weeks I tried Half a pill a day with sometimes taking a whole one or taking every twelve hrs like before. It is now April 7th,at 4:42am less than one month out. I have not taken a pill since 7pm on the 5th. over 33hrs since my last half pill dose. I feel a little better than the first night on suboxone. I think this will be the day I can say I am drug free. I feel pretty good. I think If I stay busy I can beat it. Wish me Luck.......
I must admit, knowing that so many others are going through the exact same situation is comforting. However, after reading so many of your posts, I am a little disheartened. I have been an opiate and benzo addict for over 6 years. I went to who I like to call " Dr. Feelgood" specifically to get opiate meds. Of course the initial Dr. visit was very professional and I was given a thorough physical exam and the ACTUAL Dr. talked to me about my past medical history,etc. Since I had already been  prescribed lortabs from another quack Dr. in Florida before I moved to the heroin capital of the country, Dr. Feelgood started me at a 5 mg dose. After that, it was on like donkey kong. ALL subsequent visits were with a PA who immediately upped my dose to 10mg since thats what I was taking in Florida. My "exam" was a joke ( bend forward, bend backward, side to side, etc.) then off I went with my script for 120 lortab 10 mg a month. Well with both me and my then husband (we are divorcing now after 13 years together) abusing them, of course we ran out before the next Dr. visit but that was no prob cuz I had about 3 sources from the internet delivering bottles of 90 to my door via Fedex. This is much harder to do now but back in the mid 2000's, it was easy if you had medical records and a driver's license. Just a little faxing and we had a massive amount of pills! Sadly, as with ALL drugs, i built up a mean tolerance and even this was not enuf. By this time, Dr. Feelgood had upped me to Percocet 10 mg after I told him the lortabs weren't doing the job anymore. At the end of my Percocet addiction, I could take up to 30 pills a day. In a brief moment of clarity, I finally told my parents after they had tried a few times to help us budget our money and couldn't figure out why we were making more then them and couldn't afford our bills (oops, forgot to tell you about the hundreds of $$ it was costing us for this little operation). After telling my parents, there was no going back. They immediately found me a Suboxone treatment plan that was like a 7 day taper where you have to go to a ****** downtown clinic EVERYDAY and take your meds in front of nurse, etc. After that, I went to Dr. Feelgood on my own accord and told him I no longer wanted to be on Percocet so he put me on Suboxone 24 mg a day (thats 3 whole pills). Well I ended up being on that dose for about 2 years which is NOT the way Suboxone was intended to be used. Suboxone is no different then methadone even though your Dr. Feelgood will tell you its some kind of miracle drug that will rid you of your opiate addiction forever with very little discomfort when u do come off it. The Buprenorphine that is the active ingredient in Suboxone is used as a pain patch in other countries. You know, like fentanyl, except its not even available in the U.S. Basically, the chemists came up with a slightly less potent form of methadone that supposedly has an "opiate blocker" in it
(naxolene) so you wont feel the effects of opiates when your taking it (which ive found not true). Well, who needs to take other opiates when your already on one that is about as strong as morphine. I was happy as a clam with my 24 mg a day plus the xanax Dr. Feelgood was giving me at the same time which is the ULTIMATE no-no when taking Suboxone. These 2 drugs should NEVER be taken together. Not only is overdose easy, you now have 2 addictions!! Well alot of other really bad **** happened as all this was going on. Of course because addiction will ultimately destroy you-no matter what your particular overindulgence may be. I realize this is incredibly long but I think its important for me to say these things as much for me as to hopefully help others. You can go the route I chose which was to not follow my doctor's orders, get kicked out of outpatient programs, go to NA meetings where you meet your next drug buddy, pay hundreds upon hundreds of dollars (of your loving parents' money if your lucky) for all kinds of Dr.'s who all tell you something different, keep using drugs to deal with whatever caused you to start abusing them (which you most likely dont know anyway and may never know), have your life crumble around you OR you can do it the ONLY way it will truly work. It will be the hardest and possibly the most painful process you will ever go through IF YOU LET IT. Getting "clean" involves all aspects of your life so they ALL must be addressed. You WILL go through some degree of physical discomfort no matter what you do. You can prolong it or get it over with as quickly as possible-only you hold that power. Addiction is a disease of the mind, the drugs are what cause the physical symptoms. Your mind has been chemically altered by prolonged drug abuse and therefore ONLY thats right.........good 'ole time is gonna cure that. That means time with NO DRUGS in your system so that your brain can heal. See, your impaired brain has "tricked" you and now you have to take control of that. You have to occupy your mind with the things that brought you happiness before you were a drug addict and believe me I know this is MUCH easier said then done but just remember..........your time on this earth is precious and you want to LIVE it. Do whatever it takes to distract your brain and reaching out to people that love you (if your lucky enuf to have them) is paramount. Addiction is a disease but its not fatal-its curable!! Just think of all the people who have diseases that aren't curable next time you want to pick up a drug. Go visit some kids with incurable diseases-that'll give you some perspective. The hardest things we do in life bring the best things and no drug will control my brain EVER AGAIN!!! I am only a little less then two weeks into my Suboxone withdrawal after quitting cold turkey. Today I ended up in the emergency room because I stupidly took my Adderall (adderrall) (prescribed by quack Psychiatrist referred by Dr. Feelgood's peeps) and it pretty much catipulted me into full blown withdrawals. I got scared and after Dr. Feelgood's office would not even let me speak to a nurse and hung up on me, I really didn't have a choice. The very nice Doctor (which I demand nowadays) told me exactly what I already knew which is what I'm sharing with you and gave me a Clonodine patch to help relieve the physical symptoms. This is totally non habit forming and is good for a week! My cramps are gone and it doesn't feel like my head is in a vice anymore so thats a plus. I have 1 refill for the patch and then its just back to me and my girl, Mary Jane. Its an herb people-legalize it!!!
seems to me like alot of the people who are saying that subs are great and disagreeing with the negative comments they have never tried to stop taking it yet. now listen im not hating on anyone at all here. but i have been on subs a few times and coming off them at least for me and sounds like most  others too, was absolutely awful.  i too called it a miracle drug for a while too... until i went to stop and felt almost as bad as withdrawing from oxys or more recently dope. im not trying to scare anyone here at all and honestly i dont have a better solution for getting off this stuff its all the devil and i wish everyday i never picked any of it up.  just want everyone to know that most of you honestly are going to feel like **** when you stop subs i dont care how much your taking.  it ***** but its the reality. im about to try and get off them again for the third or fourth time this week and im so Fing scared guys cuz i know how im gonna feel and i have a job and a girl that cant find out. i just gotta be as strong as i can and i wish the same for all of you... anyone who reads this god bless and stay strong guys we can all do this together......
Everyone,

I was addicted to primarily Oxycontin for 2 years. However, I would use any kind of opioid I could get my hands on. I started in  a Subuxone clinic August of last year, taking 3 8mg pills per day. After while I was switched to the Suboxone films, which further kept me from abusing the Suboxone. Suboxone is expensive, I snorted them sometime to provide relief when I couldn't afford them. Anyways, I started doing things right about September, no opioids other than Suboxone. Over a 3-4 month span I went from taking 3 pills down to 1.5 pills per day. May of this year I cut down to 1 pill per day. The first of June I decided to give it up, I was tired of being bound by a substance. I have been completely clean since the 1st of this month, and I guess by the mercy of God, the withdrawals have been nearly unnoticable. I was prescribed Clonidine and Promethazine(Phenergan) to alleviate some of the symptoms of withdrawal. I would highly advice anyone stopping Suboxone to go to the DR. and explain the situation and get a Rx for these drugs. My Suboxone clinic wrote me Rx for a small amount of these. The Clonidine really helps with a lot of symptoms. It kills the chills, sweating, hot flashes, and (for me) the feeling of my mind ripping itself away from my body. I will note, that I am bound and determined to beat this, and I feel that my mind set has helped fend off some of the negative things associated with stopping these sorts of drugs. You can beat this monster. When you do, be proud of yourself, it is a difficult thing to do -and not everyone wants to try and get clean.
I've been on subs for a year now. And just recently ran out. I've been getting them illegally from a heroin habit and the subs have been a lifesaver. But this is the 3rd day without any..and it us rough!!
if I only knew how hard it was to stop subs I would have just done it the easier way, just stopped with the pain pills. I take the film. and,it is way more powerfull than the tabs, I think. I have tried to quit several times. I take 2mgs a day and still feel like I need more. I wish I never would have started subs!
I've been on Oxy's (at 480 mg /day for the last two years) for about 10 years now. I heard about these "subs" and came to this web site while looking up information about them.

Now I don't know what to think,  Perhaps I should just resign to being on this crap till I die, which will be sooner rather than later unless I find a way to get off them.  Is it possible to slowly step down from Oxy's? I've tried but haven't been very sucessfull
By urent: I have also taking them for 1year,I started from 20mg.I take takeaways so I have been going down like everyday and it's finally 1 mg day and night.I think no matter how much more or less u take sub it's same.it's killing me I dont wanna use it any more so please guys can u give me any suggestion .thanks
JUST GO FOR IT!  I AM ON DAY 6!  I FEEL HUMAN!!!

YOU MAY FEEL LIKE YOUR "NEVER" GOING TO FEEL GOOD AGAIN!  

I AM NOT LYING!!!  "YOU WILL"

POSITIVE!!!!!!!!
HOW LONG BEFORE U FELT HUMAN WITH NOTHING!!!!! IM DOING THIS NO MATTER WHAT, BECAUSE I WANT TO FEEL HUMAN AGAIN....
ive been on subs about 10 months now, im supposed to be taking 2 8mg films a day, sometimes i take around 4 and sometimes i just take 2, sometimes i only take 1, just depends on how i feel, i always run out early but always seem to make it, the worst ive felt is being so depressed i just dont wanna live anymore and them i get restless and cant sleep and toss and turn alittle bit but not like when i was on pills, but i think im gonna go ahead and start tapering down, i have like 30 films left so that should be plenty to taper down to nothing over along period of time, i wish everyone the best out here and if you have any advice just please write me at casper27292 at yahoo *******
I quit suboxone after 3 years! I left the hospital on 10mg/ day and after 6 months I get 8, after one month 6, and so on untill i get 2 mg/day on the clock, untill one day I realise I am not doing so well... I needed to get free from any kind of chemicals on my body! Dunno' why but I decide to quit! so, i tried but it was very hard... What I had to do?!?!?! I started thinking and thinking untill talking with a friend of mine she started to tell me about marijuana and the effects.... i tried, i smoked marijuana and I was very impresed. I started imediately to think a strategy. I did so: i get 2 mg of sub, i wait untill sickness get instaled, i wait more, and in the moment it gets unsuported, i smoke from a joint! 4- 5 pufs! and stayed clean of sub like that days...  there was moments of hard sickness and i needed to get a piece of sub.... less than 1 mg!!!! and in a month or a month and a half past, i have DONE IT!!!!! I am free.... I smoked about 10G. of marijuanna but it really helps me!!!!! Now i am free of suboxone, free of marijuanna, because it does not get addictions, and if you think about the effects on you after smoking, think about that chemicals and the effects they are on you, or the opioides or heroine did on you!!!! So, on the short notice, this is what i did!!! I wish you all the best!
hello all, great topic, ive been on the subs for about 2 yrs, the worst 2 years of my life, i wanna die everyday, ive tried to quit so many times that death seems to be the only answer for me, i wanna try rapid detox but cant afford it (8,000$) ive been on about 2 mgs for 5 months tried quiting like that went almost 3 weeks, nothing felt better and gave up, when i get sick i get sick, i scream kick whine cry and try killingmyself( never once thought of suicide untill suboxin took over) im at the end of my line, and cant belive this was supposed to help my addiction to ultram and vicadin i was way better off on them, now they do nothing for me.. if anybody knows of something i can do (that i havent tried already) im listing to the site now and gettin down to 1 mg i know i can do that but my physical dependance is so strong i fear to feel it again, but i cant live on the subs either, ive lost everything and everyone thats ever loved me to this " program" if u think u could help please email - ***@**** thanks, and i guess for now you all keep fighting this drug but for me i have no fight left in me at 27 yrs old, all suboxin storys sound horrible what the hell are docotors doing to us people? I wanted help not a more powerfull addiction!
My son's girlfriend says she just quit the subs cause she wants to get pregnant. Can you just quit cold turkey?
i am taking subutex and have been for a year and two months now. i was on them when i found out i was pregnant. i started at 6mg per day and as the baby got bigger he started metabolizing the subs so eventually i ended up at 12mg (4mg 3x per day) and i've started to wean off. i'm now taking 2mg 4x per day (8mg) and so far i feel fine. the hardest part is i think about taking it constantly and obssesively! i am going to start school soon and i don't want tapering to affect my son and school. i don't yet have a plan but i just know i want to be off of this drug and feel like a human being again.
I only been taking subs for about 3 months, anxiety attacks from hell!! Also, all my pain has went from normal pain to a burning sensation, I had- have tapered to a 1/3 wafer every other day then every 3 days then- WHAM !! all hell breaks loose and I end up having to increase again!! If your thinking about taking this stuff, think te, I would recommend roxys over this if you could handle them responsibly, or any other med that would satisfy your needs!! For myself this has been the worst experience of my life and I've broken several bones, messed up my back pretty bad ripped a rotate cuff crushed my leg lost a few toes, had stage 3 cancer, pinched nerves in shoulder and back and have used just about every drug there is for pain, I never want to see this stuff again If"if" I ever get off it and survive!! I thought it was a miracle drug when I first started using it, how wrong I was!!! Look b4 u leap!!!
i have used opiates for 3 years then i got to where no matter how many npills i did i could not get to t high that i wanted or felt good with so i turned to subutex now 3 years latter i sick of being a legal junkie so i decided to quit it was by accident i went on a trip and forgot my meds so 3 days no meds i got back home and knew i wanted to be ree of this vice so now i am in day 5 i feel like im about dead but i keep thinking that it will end soon anyone have any idea when this will end
Was your DT'S bad? My biggest thing is restless legs. Let me know how bad it was. You can email me at ***@**** if you don't mind. Thanks
This original thread is over 3 years old, please pay attention to the date before commenting, if you see an hourglass after the date then it is pretty old. No big deal but it puts an old post on top of recent posts that may need attention... :)
I have been taking approx 2mg of a 8mg strip for 2 weeks now, only taking it once every 3-4 days. I want to know how to taper down appropriate. I have extreme restless legs and I cannot get any sleep when the sub is completely out of my system. I've tried ibuprofen , lyrics, withdrawal ease and nothing seems to make a dent. Any suggestions , btw I have got the "I still wanna take an opiate" out of the way. I've got my mind in the right place I just can't shake the physical "restless legs" .. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
i JUST READ YOURPOST AND AM GOING THEW THE AME CRAP OO WELL GOO LUCK AND  HOPE YOU DIDNT TURN TO SUICIDE!!
Hi there, I am two weeks off of them (the Subs), and it does SUCK. I take Valerian Root and Melatonin to help me sleep. You can get both at Wal-Mart or Walgreens and they are non-addictive.
I use to take cough syrup to help me sleep, but I'm a recovering alcoholic as well, and it has about 10% in it, but works wonders....
jusneedafriend,,,  hi,  I am here,  I am post transplant

four years now.  I was on the pain meds for a long, long time.  I've been on the Boxes for 3 years now. up until 17 days ago.  I got down to 1/4 a day. then decided to just stop.  it has been hell.  My arms and legs are like giant worms with a mind of there own.  No way do I sleep.  My DR, gave me a med called '' baclofin'' which is a muscle relaxer, and it seemed to help im also on Caladine, which, for me, its not so good, i plan to stay off for sometime but it has been hard.. but you can do it.  i almost gave up today and took a tiny sliver. but i didn 't.  life is so fake when we use them.
i am done with them forever.ok friend,, hang in there.  we will survive.We will just not take anymore of them... Keep me posted asto your progress.
I just wish I could sleep one night.  

Hi,my name is Martin from Vietnam, I was addicted heroin for long time and I tried to quit many time. After i know about suboxone I thought this is great medicin but I didn't know that it can be addict too, then I think use heroin or suboxone what different ? Then sometime I take heroin and sometime I take suboxone. But finally I decided to quit both of them and everything seem fine with me. I started from 6gr per day for  a week and reduce 1gm each day, i know it's quite difficult but I believe that I can do it. Yesterday I took 1 mg for the whole day and I fell good. Today I took 0.5 g from morning I hope that I will be fine if I really feel tired in evening I will take more 0.2 g. I decide I will clear on this Saturday. Hope that u guys can do the same way as me. You can do it.
I just started a little over a month ago in an out patient program with intensive dr. and therapy visits .It is helping stay focoused on what I need to get to the root of the reason besides that I'm addict and trigers and all of that,I would say to u take it exactly as told and and make a plane on when u want to start to tapper down and stick with that plan. may I ask if u r in therapy or see a Doc. will taking this med ?
I've quit subs before,I done the tapering and got down to a 16'th before I finally stopped taking them, and tell you the truth it felt the same as when I just quit taking 1 and a half a day.so if you're gunna quit it's more of when you're comfortable to stop taking them all together.it ***** I know, I've done quit 3 times, it always takes me about a month and a half to get over it.but being stupid I'd end up taking a little bit for energy, then next thing I knew I was back on them.I was on them for3 years straight before I quit.the best thing to do once you've stopped is keep busy and force yourself through it, trust me it's worth it, just don't do what I did for energy on a rough day or you'll find yourself taking more and more until you're back on it.
I needed to hear this.. Thanks for the good out look on this!!
I feel you... I have tried myself over and over I just don't know how to stop .
i'm trying to quit, but i'm pregnant, any ideas on this? i don't get a prescription either, my bf gets them for me off the street, obviously lol. but i've been trying to quit and i'm on my second day without any and ive been having sharp pains in my abdominal area..i dont know if thats normal withdrawals or if that could be the baby? any ideas? i have a two yr old so trying to be a pregnant parent is hard enough without the DTs. i was originally bad off on OCs, percs, tabs, etc. but taht was a few years ago. i've been on subs for about two years now. i just dont know if its safe for me to quit. i read somewhere it could hurt the baby. has anyone here ever tried to get off of it when they are pregnant? or know anybody?  please help, i need some motivation or something lol
meljx35, if you want a healthy baby DO NOT QUIT while you are pregnant. If you live in the US. go to a hospital and tell them your situation. They will put you on a Suboxone or Methadone maintance program. Opiate withdrawl (withdrawal) can seriously harm the development of your child.

Also, I am wondering if anyone out there can tell me, I've kicked hundreds of times but never suboxone. I got down to a 1mg per day now ive been taking about that much every other day or two days. At this point, being a healthy young man who raises 2 kids on his own, and works, and is in school. I need to know, how long will the acute detox last? I might already be over it but it's hard to tell because I feel achy and ****** but not as bad as kicking a dope habit. How long before I feel happy to get out of bed and make breakfast for the kids. How long before I digest food properly?
Some people who taper like you did have no symptoms, some feel it for a month. It sees to really depend on how much you used and how long. I'd say that 21 days is a huge turning point of sleep and digestion for many. Usually people taper down to .5 or .25mgs, but the person who quit at 16mg was feeling better at about 30 days. Subs seem to detox in waves, many describe it as starting to feel fine and then it comes again. That's what happened to me. The withdrawals are not as bad as other powerful opiates, but seem to linger a bit longer. It's difficult to know how much subs effect you, until you come off them. I truly believe aftercare is huge for buprenorphine detox. 12 step meetings, counseling, church, whatever you're into, but something to help understand how we became addicts in the firstplace. Start your own post and many more will respond with support and advice.
Rya5. I have a 2.5 year old and quit home with her there. Its terrible. But she mostly left me alone like she knew that daddy was sick. Have the kids stay with family for three days ans stop taking it now. 1mg every other day is perfect to stop. But just stop you will need three days and then it will still hurt but maybe for another 3. it wont suck as bad the 3 after you have already stopped. Have your doctor prescribe you catapress .1 mg. it will help with the withdrawals. I took one tablet every 6-8 hrs. Just get up slowly it lowers your blood pressure so you can get dizzy and black out for a few seconds when you get up. And a lot of Moltrin Good Luck. Subox is easier then everything else.

Sub, lower amounts of oc and rox, periodically over the past few years (5) by friend and I are taking to time to finally hit this cold turkey. Today would be day 4 with no sub. 3 for one of us 6 for the other.

3rd time quitting cold turkey. Each time has worked. I am just anticipating the worst. Last night was a reminder of what the worst feels, 0 hours of sleep. WE have a divine friendship, we were are in this together. We have benzos, colonize, Cannibals or weed, addy. L Tyrosine, and I think moral support being the most important thing.

Our worst experienced of sub dosage was  probably a 8mg strip. but that only being a minuscule about just enough to get by, typically about 2 mg o rless for the better part of 4 years. We weren't  poor but we are the only few people who know the **** *** **** that we deal with in our life, the need for something to push us to do mediocre.

This will be the last quit, we are going to make it.

What are the worsts and bests we have to look forward to...

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. This isn't my first forum either, but you all seem genuine enough. Please let me know.

Eric and Jerry
just a statements you guys can help me with, i asked my bf not to take suboxone for a day when we went to church and he didnt, but he seemed really antsy and couldnt sit still, i want to help him but at this poitn i cant seeing as how we dont live together, he takes one pill a day and im not sure how manys mgs they are...i liek him better when he doesnt take them and im willing to go through anything to help him get off those dam pills..you can email me at ***@**** the email to my phone so i can see when someone writes to me because im at the library right now.
I been on 4mg for awhile. 2mg in the evening & 2mg several hours after that. I started subs Jan 2008. My Dr. Is my dealer, pretty much.  The last couple days I tried to quit.. Up down up down. Insomnia & racing thoughts were horrible. I caved in. I decided to taper myself. I started on 3-4 8mgs a day.  Now that I've minimized my intake I'm kinda getting back to myself which I realized I've missed. But, in the beginning the sweats, poops, and cramps were horrible. Now I think the headaches are the worst. I haven't ever been successful at completely quitting. God I wished. I wish we could exchange #s.  sometimes a complete stranger could help..  Suboxone is the devil.
That is wonderful. Congratulations. I am trying to quit also.
How did you get off of the one small dose per day?  What exactly did you do and how long did it take?  How did you feel while coming off of it and how long was it before you felt good again?  Also, can you or anyone tell me if the symptoms I'm now experiencing are likely withdrawal or something else (I have Lyme Disease but not sure if it's still active.).  I've been on a low dose of Suboxone for five and a half months; just taking 1 mg in the mornings now most days.  I am having frequent sweating episodes; pins & needles; frequent and sometimes severe headaches; body aches; some joint pain and stiffness; and just feeling uncomfortable in my own skin much of the time.  Thank you.
U have the SAME situation as me. Oxys feel good at the moment & kept me full of energy. I have 2 small kids & a jerk of a husband who bought them for me so I wouldn't go thru withdrawl (withdrawal). Then I would get verbally abused because I needed to keep taking them. No one wants withdrawl (withdrawal). I was made  to feel like a loser .  I was ashamed to tell anyone. I went on Subs for 7 months. I ran out 2 weeks ago & thru my husband out. I feel sick, lazy, diarrhea (sorry), can't sleep good, etc.  HANG IN THERE! Wean down off the subs so the symptoms r tolerable. Also, try taking Advil or Excedrin for the aches & 1-2 Benadryl per day (only closer to bed time !) it takes the edge off & U can sleep better. U CAN DO IT, BUT GET A FRIEND TO SUPPORT U THRU it ! I'm 45, blonde & pretty. We ALL R. !  U can do it ! U r worth it.  From: Jodi in Greenwood Lake, NY.  Write me back if u need to.
---------old thread-----started 2009-----------
Click "Post a Question" and start a new thread.
Just trying to help.
This discussion is quite old a and it looks like the original poster isn't participating in this discussion any longer, so we'll close it now.  If you have a question or would like to start a discussion, please feel free to do so by clicking the "post a question" button.  Thanks!

________________________________________________

** CLOSED DISCUSSION**
            NO MORE COMMENTS PLEASE
This discussion was closed by MedHelp moderators.