Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
How to get off the Fentanyl patch?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

How to get off the Fentanyl patch?

After having a nerve condition called reflex sympathetic dystrophy a lot of the symptoms miraculasly disappeared!  Unfortunately for over 7 years I've been on the Duragesic Fentanyl patch....2 100's every other day.  I've cut down to 100 every 3 days, but the pain is just awful some times.  Would it be best just to quit cold turkey to get it over with or continue slowly reducing it.  I would sure like to be off it to see how I'm really doing.
actually there is someone here consistantly who has been cutting down her patches for some time. she would be the one to talk to about her experience. Ladysundown.
other than that, welcome you are in the right place. we are all coming off some kinda drugs.. mostly pain meds. i have no clue about those patches but i understand they are a ***** to come off of. so i wish you the best. anything you need just post..
Thank you kindly.  
Although I'm very fortunate to have such an understanding wife, and family, but there are still some things a person has to face alone.
I hope the best for you as well.
well, you are in the right place....if you go c/t it will be hell for 4-5 days,,nausea,vomiting,sweats,,sleeplessness,,ect ect ect,,fentanyl patch's act in the same manor as any other opiod and they are a ****** to get off,,The withdrawls are pretty wicked,,I would suggest to go to your doctor and talk to him maybe he can wean you off of them,,100's then 75's,,then 50's..ecttt,,oh best of luck,,bugzz
Thank you buggsy for your comments.  I'm brand new, but at least I don't believe I'm alone any more.
eek do not try cold turkey after 7 yrs... I have been on tramadol off and on for 3 years. I say off and on because when the scrip run's out is is usually for about 2 weeks, then I get it again. I sure wish I was strong anough to not get the scrip I have coming in 5 or 6 day's.
Tapering off, weening yourself is best way, unless ther is ultra rapid detox, which, I do nont know about you, but I KNOW I cannot aford. I do not have a good support team here to help me. My husband is an alcholic (spledd right of course). Good luck,
you are certainly not alone. this forum is filled with hundreds of your best friends. and we are all helping each other try to live with out abusing out pain meds.
I am so sorry your husband has his own problems stormie.
That's rotten.
However, I will consider your advice of not just doing a radical thing by just quitting cold turkey.  I guess patience can be a virtue.
With the nerve condition I was struck down with some of the doctors wanted to slice/dice me.
Or put in a unit that vibrates the pain out.
Or put in a morphine drip.  And other stuff.
I didn't give into that stuff because from reading medical books all those options eventually fail, and a person becomes worse off then before eventually.
I'm glad to find out there are other's here although I wish other's didn't have to go through these attempts and success' of with drawel.
I thought the patch was the least of the evils, and did help me to finally get some sleep. And helped with the pain.
Thank you for your responses.  The encouragement is simply terrific.
I have been on the fentanyl patches for over a year. I started at 100mcg. They are changed every three days. The dose you're on isn't so bad now but I have never heard of anyone being on 200mcg and changing it every two days. I'm glad you were able to get the dose down.You have been on them a long time so PLEASE don't try to c/t. It takes a while to taper off of fentanyl. Maybe you could talk to your Dr. about this. You didn't abuse your patches so finding medical help to help you taper shouldn't be hard.

There is a method to detox off fentanyl that some Dr's. agree with, although it's not for me. They use methadone for a couple of weeks and take the patches off right before you start it. They say you get off the methadone before you become addicted to it.

I'm glad you found this forum and hope you will keep posting. Have you had any trouble with the patches sticking?? I started a 100mcg and am now wearing one 25mcg and one 12 patch. I hope to cut this week to just the 25.

I understand what you mean about wanting to get off of strong opiates so you can see what kind of pain you're dealing with. My hope is you will find your pain level tolerable. If not, you might be able to use an painkiller that isn't so strong.

AGAIN...don't try to c/t. You have been on the fentany too long and at very high doses at times. Also, you have to figure in the lenght of time you have used the patches. Talk to your Dr. and make a plan to decrease your use. I know you're probably tired of the duragesic, as I am. I wish you luck and please keep posting.
Take Care....LS
i just started fentanyl patch a month ago. on a 50 but only works for 2 days feel like im gonna crawl out of my skin on day 2 talked to doc he says give it time itll balance out and i wont feel like this is it true right now idont want to put new patch on.but iknow if i dont after work im really gonna hurt.i just want live pain free is there anything non narcotic i could use for pain.i only want to go through w/ts one time i hate this feeling.sure confussing living without back pain or crawling out of my skin.the thing is with my w/ds i dont want any thing to fix it.please dont take offence anyone in i mean no dissrespict you people scare me into wanting live in pain i mean to say is im afraid of addiction.my doc says theres a difference between addicition and tolerance it got to be a really fine line thanks the bowhunter
Thank you so much Lady Sundown for that information.  I've tried for some time to find out on line how that works.  I did talk to my pharmacist, and she says the same as you.
The last time I took a patch was on Sunday, and here it is a little after five (central time).
I'm fortunate because I used to not be able to go ourside unless it was eight degrees or hotter.  Other wise I'd end up in bed for awhile.
I'm only a little scared of this stuff now.  Its kind of topsy turvey because the Duragesic patch used to be a kind of security blanket that would even help with walking, and sleeping.
But now trying to get off of it has been suprisingly hard.  Where it once helped me now its turned around into a tough chore to get rid of.
I'm into my fifth week at half of what it was (200) every other day.
What I had is relex sympathetic dystrophy, and it was a bear.  A lot of those symptoms have disappeared which is a good thing.
I hope the best for you, and it was nice getting to meet so many kind people who are also struggling.
Oh yes.
I used to have all kinds of trouble with the patches sticking and staying on.  All the time.  But then I used to let someone always help me put them on.
But now I really squeeze those suckers on, and push hard.
I even can take a patch off for a bath, and am able to put the same one on after, by sheer strength I think.
I hear ya.  I have been on them for over four years (100's), and I want off.  Do what you have to bro, but DO SOMETHING.  I am always here.
I'm sure all of this talk about fentanyl patches has made you uncomfortable.You may be one of the few that actually need the fentanyl. 50mcg isn't that much.

What you are seeing here is people who have been on them for a while and want off to see where their pain level really is, and to see if something weaker will work.

Please don't feel that I am saying you shouldn't be on what the Dr. has you on. I'm no Dr. and sometimes I feel like I'm not even human. (bad hair day..etc) Forgive my humor. I just don't want you to feel as isolated as I did when I came to this forum because I was the only one on the patches at that time. Now there is you, and suprglyde and man in faith. At this time we're trying to get off them but we have been on them too long. Call on any of us if you need help or need to ask a question.

Take Care....LS
What a relief and a joy to know of other's on this board with a similar experience.  The information and encouragement may be more then I deserve, but I like it, I like it.
I was foolishly trying to go cold turkey yesterday, but when my head was a poppin', dizzy, and other fun things I just went down to a 75 from the hundred. When I read that I could be having rough with drawel after 4 or five days after being on the Duragesic patch it cooled my heels I can tell you. You all are the best I think.  And it gives one a chance to commiserate with someone who has really been through this.  I was at the top of what I could take, and I'd still need 4 pain pills sometimes to get through the pain.
However, through other's prayers for me a lot of the symptoms have dissipated from RSD, and I'm very grateful for that.
And now I have more to be thankful for by finding this site.
Thank you for your comments.  This is quite a relief.
i,m trying to ween off of 25 mg i,ve been on them 4 a month and a 1/2 and perocet 6 times a day for 4 years for djd does anyone know of something better for pain. just can,t stand the patches
I would recommend starting a new post. This one is old and you need to hear from those who have done this. Fentanyl is a real bear to get off of and you will want all the ammo you can to do this right.
does anyone know how long you have to wait before taking suboxone after removing the durgesic patch
Hi - I am new to this thread but I badly need some answers.  PLEASE!
I have been on Fentanyl patch for 7 years.  I have cronic (chronic) pain from a disease.  over the years I was on 150 mcg/hr but weaned myself off to 25 mcg/hr.  I am now down to 12 mcg/hr every two days - but the tweeking and withdrawls are really wicked!  I am trying to get off the patch completely but it's so tough - I just don't know how!   Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'd rather deal with the pain than the addiction.
good luck on your taper, i have used those patched before, just a few times
i still felt detoxie after taking off the first one
i can only imagine what you are going through
be strong, you are worth every bit of life recovery has in store for you
xo
I have been on these Fentanyl patches (100 mcg) for about a year and I am desparately looking for a way off them. HELP! I've hed many medical problems lately and ended up on the "patch".

What I would really like to know is: Is it possible to ween off the patch? Right now I'm more concerned about what is happening to me mentally than physically. Has anyone ever heard of weening off? No doctor I've seen has an answer for me. I was told Suboxone isn't for me. I heard once about detoxing at a place somewhere and that sounds very expensive.

Is weening possible?

Thank you for reading this and any help you might provide.
You're posting on very old posts..and many people may not answer because they will miss it. Click the green "post a question" box at the top of the page and post your question as a new post. Then people will answer.
just wanted to know if you are able to put a patch on for one day and then take it off the next and re-apply it later??? is there any combinatino of these things that work? I ran out of my oxycodone and i need about 3 days worth of medication and i have had this fentenyl patch for a little while and i am thinking i will have no other choice... but is it going to be too much???

mae
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
Hi, I have been on pain management for a botched surgery for over 5 years and the patch is the only thing that works for me. I am presently on 50mcg every 3 days and sometimes I try to stretch it to 4 days. My pain doc specializes in these meds and is extremely strict about going to other docs to ask for meds and such. I asked him the other day how to taper off painlessly and he told me to only use half of the patch. To do that, you only cut off half of the backing. You do have to tape the patch on if you do this. It takes twice as long for the medicine to dispense. He says he has had patients that did this until they were completely off and it was very easy and not unpleasant. You are trying to get off of something that works the same way heroin or crack or anything addictive works so it will not be a cakewalk. I am also curious to see what my pain levels would be without but I know if it's too much, I will have his support. I commend you for trying to find out how to do it properly before just doing it and suffering the consequences. Since I work full time in IT and maintain important data centers I can't have a situation where I can concentrate and function so I am very grateful to have found this medication. Fentanyl saved my life as I was ready to give up when he started me on them. I was on Oxycontin and it screwed me up to where I almost lost a really good job. I swear that will never enter my system again. Anyway, good luck and try it the way my doc says to. He spends alot of time researching these things and I trust his judgement without questions......Good luck

He also gave me OPANA for breakthrough and told me to use it accordingly. He is
I am 27 yrs old diagnosed with Rhematoid arthritis and fibromyalgia.. I started the fent patch about a year ago along with taking vicodin and soma( muscle relaxer) I am wanting to get off the patch due to the reason one of my friends had a patch leak into her blood steam and she died?!? I am scared as ever but every time I try to get off them .. oh wow the side effects from not haing it, is awful... anyone have any thought on helping me get off.. I ahve three kids and want to see them grow up and live life with them, but I can't stand the pain with out the patch.. I am kinda in a rock and a hard spot?
Im on 100mg of Durogesic patch and i just want to come off them i have had enough i feel like a dam junkie
What can i do ?
my husband got hurt hit by a semi on the job, in 1996, since then operations, physical therapy, pills, and more pills, then patches, i thought it would be an answer to my prayers, no so !! i am now having to hide his patches, he wants a new one every 2 days, and he will get a new one if i don't hide them , i am feeling in despair, he has been on the 75, and the 50 's for 2 years, i have seen him angry, cry, confused, a loss of 64 pounds, and any excuse to get a new patch, i am lost i do not know what to do, he say he is sorry, and he will talk to doctor, but never does, he is very addicted, i am in a mess, i am in despair, i have been married for 29 years to my highschool sweet heart, and now i am in a fight for him and us, can't seem to win, i would rather be going up against another women, instead of this ****, i do not know what to do ?? cheryl
Way to go moosewatcher! I too have had cronic (chronic) pain for 22 years now..neck surgerys..that did nothing! I have been on the patches as well my my boyfriend whom is getting off them as we speak! It is day 6 for him today and he is doing better and will need some sleep due to being up for most of the 6 days. Since I broke my hip on the 4th he thought it would be a good time to get off the patch and percoets since he was just sitting around watching me. Well I am very proud of him..he had a lot of screepy crawley feeling so I would just massage him as much as I could and he would get cold and hot alot...when I was getting off them the same happened to me and what helped alot was to walk outside and move as much as I could which is what he is doin. Please have someone go thru this with you! I think cold turkey is the best way...get it over with! Yes its a week but then its over! That stuff is nasty and never did help me..the only thing that did was the sucker which now they only give to cancer pateints. Good luck..it will be worth it!
I have been on fentanyl 50 mgr/hr patches every 72 hours for 6 months now due to a prolapsed disc trapping the sciatic nerve. I've now lived with this condition for 11 months. These patches were my god send for pain relief. I've now found out that the original problem has nearly cured itself so I now want away from drugs. I have decreased from 50's to 25's in 1 month and residual pain is getting worse but manageable. The mental effects however are almost unbearable. I have been extremely depressed but refused antidepressants and come out the other side. Coming off the patches however has put me in a dark place. I'm miserable when I shouldn't be. I'm always in tears constantly very tired and just can't concentrate. Please help me
I feel extremely alone even though I have a wife and a 1 year old daughter I just need tips to help cope with this. Because ultimately only I can do it so no one else knows how I'm feeling. I can't put the happy face on much longer
please, could you copy/paste your post and start a thread with it ?  Go back to the forum and click " post a question" green sign , this is an old thread and chances are that your post would get overlooked, i would not want this...
you need to make a new post, this one is very old, most people will not read it or see it. hit the green post a question box at the top and repeat what you wrote on here. There are many people here who can help you but they probably won't see your post here.
Thank you ive now done this
I have been reading all the comments on here and have found them to be very helpful because i too am on the patch. 25mcg every 3 days as well as MS Contin 30 MG and don't want to keep taking these drugs because i know how the withdraw feelings are and wish i never had back surgery or got on these drugs. thank you to everyone on here for your courage to talk about this stuff and help everyone that comes here looking for help.
The dr I had been going now said i could not afford him ,now that state cut off my insurance.He wanted me to pay $198.00 just to see him. Had to go to urgent care to get 20,s they gave me 3,so now I am out so I guess I have to go off
Any one come off of 20,s and how did you feel?
I have been on Fentanyl Patches 150MCG 1-100 and 1-50 for about 3 years I also use Percocet for BTP I tried to quit fentanyl cold turkey last year and I made it 6 days and I couldn't sleep my skin was crawling even the sheets moving over my skin was painful. I had diarrhea and vomiting I had cold and hot spells.  I was suicidal as I already suffer from PTSD and major depression. I finally called my Dr and he said that I needed to put a 50 on to quell the withdrawal symptoms. since then I went back to my regular dose because when I got down to 25 MCG i realized how much pain relief that the patch really gives.  I have spinal stenosis with pinched nerves and I am also diabetic and have nerve damage in my legs with claudication which causes added pain and numbness. I believe anyone trying to get off of fentanyl should talk to their doctor and formulate a reasonable plan to reduce the dosage over a long point of time. I would never recommend going cold turkey on any medication including benzos and antidepressants
Hello Bowhunter

I have had chronic back pain for 30 years.  I am on fentanyl 50 and use to take hyrdocodone and percocet.  I recently had the nerves burnt in my lower back and I am in no pain now.  It is out patient and for the first time in 30 years I can do things without pain.  I am taking no pills and looking to cut down on the patches.  There are certain pain management Drs. that do this.  Find a Dr. that will give you a light sedation to have this done. There are some Drs. who say you have to be awake to find the right nerves.  Mine did a great job while I was sedated and said I would wake up if he hit the wrong nerve.  This has made me a new person
Geez, I was without my patches for just a few hours, I was crawling out of my skin. I could Bearly get out of bed. I c/t Oct back in the days 4 days of yell but I did it.  I don't want to be a slave to the patches, I wish I could afford the rapid detox. I want off of the patches any suggestions?
rissa, go up to the top of this page and start a new thread so others can see it and help.  Posting on an old thread sometimes you get missed.  Click on the orange ask a question and post away!
I want to take you for your post, I was a cancer petient for 6 mo. on Chemo. I was only given 30 % chance to beat the Cancer, a tumor the size of a baseball in my liver. I thank God through prayer the pease came and the tumor is gone. I had started Hep C treament right after the cancer, I just thought the Cancer treatment was rough. The side effects, lower back pains, landed me in the hospital. I was on occecotten for 7 mo. and methodone for 3mo. before the Fentanyl patch of 100 mcg. Just after 30 days I wanted off, the confussion, in ability to function at all. I stoped 2 mo. short of the liver treatment to help subside the side effects. I finally got to a pain manement, that had enough sence to see I was really  wanting off  the pach, I have been on 75 mcg for 6 days and really don't want t continue the additional 6 day/ or 2 more patches ,untill he backs m down to  a 50+ 12 mcg, but fear the doctors will walk away if I don't follow orders. I only get releaf through prayer. Cancer and hep C clean Thank  you Lord.  I just need his help now to overcome the patch and lower back pain the patch brings.

G.L.H
I just went off my Fentanyl patch 5 days ago "Cold Turkey" after coming down from 150mcg/hr for a year - 50mcg/hr another year, 25 mcg/hr for 6 years and then 12 mcg/hr for 1 week - then I stripped it off and am taking nothing!
My question is this:  after 5 days I am still going through HORRIBLE - SEVERE withdrawals and no sleep NONE for the past 5 days.  When will this end?  Does anyone out there know how long it takes to completely detox and be free from the withdrawals?
Also, to the person who said that 50mcg/hr isn't that much... ARE YOU FREAKING CRAZY?  It's enough to kill some people. Fentanyl is 100 times more powerful per mcg than Morphine is per Mg.  And extremely addictive!  As most of us know.  I only went on the patch because I wasn't expected to live more than 3 months - What a good God to give me back my life!  Thank you lord.  
I AM ON  THE FENTANYL PATCH100 MCG EVERY 48 HOURS, BUT THEY ACTUALLY ONLY LAST FOR ABOUT 10-12 HOURS. I AM ALSO ON HYDROCODONE, XANAX & NUYNCANTAL (MISSPELLED) IT IS ALSO A PAIN MED. I WANT OFF ALL THIS CRAP! I HAVE BEEN OFF FROM MY JOB OF 22 YEARS FOR 4 MONTHS NOW , BUT ONLY RECENTLY FOUND OUT THE REASON FOR THE PAIN IN NOW BECAUSE I AM GOING THROUGH WITHDRAWLYS. I AM HORRIFIED TO KNOW WHAT THIS IS GOING TO BE LIKE TO TRY TO GET OFF ALL THIS MESS. hAVE BEEN TO A PAIN MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST & HE COULD NOT BELIEVE HOW MANY DRYGS i WAS OWN & SAID HE WOULD NOT EVEN ATTEMPT TO TALK TO ME UNTIL i GOT OFF THE DRUGS. WELL, HOW AM I SUPPOSE TO DO THAT WITHOUT HELP.. I AM SO SCARED I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. ANYONE THAT CAN PLEASE HELP ME, PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO DO. SHOULD I GO TO REHAB OR CAN I DETOX MYSELF? I AM MAD AT MYSELF FOR GETTING IN THIS MESS & AT MY DOCTORS FOR THEM LETTING IT GET THIS FAR OUT OF HAND. ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE TRULY APPRECIATED.
This is an old post if you would like to you can start a new post in the forum at the top of the page. That way more people can help you. There are so many nice people here who have been through so much and may have similar stories to yours. We all would be happy to help. God Bless.
ANYONE on FENTANYL that would like to talk I am happy to help I have been on it for years, have tried to come off, have tapered down, have done large jumps & have suffered the withdrawals.  I have been through many experiences, helped many ppl & have my own experiences & research I have done that I am willing to share to help anyone in need. PLEASE JUST LET ME KNOW.
I am on the fentanyl patch 100 every 48 hrs. They actually only last for about 36 hours. the withdrawyls are horrible! I ache all over, have hot flashes, feel like Im crawling out of my skin. Ive been on them for about a year & a half. I want off completely! I also take vicodin & xanax. I want off all of it, but one step at a time. The patch is the main thing I want off of. Any suggestions or help you can give me will be truly appreciated.

I am going to send you a friend request. It's easier to talk there. Honestly the help of a dr would be best, but if not then there are plenty of knowledgeable ppl on here.
I wore the patch for 10 years and was up to 125mgh every 72 hours.  Believe me, they did not last that long.  After 36 hours I was in ful withdrawal and sick as a dog.  My doctor just wanted to increase the dosage but I wanted off the patch completely. I had read about all the deaths due to Fentanyl and I just took it on myself to find a place to go.  I live out of Houston and found a hospital there that detoxed ppl from fentanyl.  (There are many detox hospitals that won't touch fentanyl with a 10 foot pole.  They told me it was too dangerous and I could die during the detox and they wanted no part of it.) So on my own, I found Memorial Herman PARC hospital, called them, checked in, and 14 days later, went home patch free.  You will die if you try to detox yourself.  Do it in a trained hospital with the medical help.  You will be free and loving it.  It has been over 2 years since then, found a wonderful pain management doctor, and take non-norcotic drugs along with a few pills to get me through the day.  Don't do it yourself.
I also have come off the fentanyl patch.  If you have any questions just pm me.  I would be glad to help:)

Overeasy
Bowhunter, u took the wrds out of my mouth... pain addiction scares me so much that i go a day or two w/o puttn on my patch jus so that i dnt live 24/7 medicated n i deal w/ the pain. I have severe pancreatitis n after several wks in hospital i came hm n went on patches n contd 8mg dilaudid. Since then ive quit the dilaudid inless ihave a severe attack n thn i take one pill. But i do wear a 100mcg patch n take it off periodically. I can make a patch last 5-7 days instead of the prcsrbd 3days. As i sit here im going thru w/ds its bn almost 2days since i worn it. Ive bn on these for 2mths n im just so scared of becoming addicted that i will sit in pain jus to avoid constant pain med use. IM SCARED OF ADDICTION & IM SCARED OF THE W/DS... im already so weak from the pancreatitis n i already vomit frm that n the pain worzens so if i start vomitn frm w/ds idk wat effect it will hav on my body. Im only 27 n the pancreatitis is very bad, i almost died .frm multiple organ failure n nw im scared of this drug. No one understands. One of my drs even told me this would b a prob for the rest of my life n told me id prolly b on pain meds for rest of my life i really dnt want that..bt its the only eay i can function... super conflicted n its lik i want to quit c/t jus to prove to my self im stronger than this... IDK anymore
they have given me 7 days to get off the patch b4 my bk surgery i am on 75 x 3 days i have been on 4 5 yrs now what i am told it can not be done by my pain clinic these clinics suck they make u feel like u r a dope addice when after 5 bk surgeries i am in such pain they started me on all these.i don't know w hat to do last time i went cold turkey and it was bad
I have been on the dreaded fentanyl patches for 3 or 4 years. Apart from being a fantastic pain killer regarding my back condition (spondylolythesis) actually the only med that worked. They had some other side affects which almost cost my relationship due to often becoming loud and sometimes un-bearably aggressive in tone. I decided to come off the 75's in order to keep my partner. I have no doubt some will think I am some kind of crank but I was so desperate I just took off the patch at about 2pm. All was well until I awoke from a sleep at 11pm with a headache from hell. Nevertheless I was not going to be able to sleep because I felt as though I really needed a replacement patch. By 2am I felt as though I was ready for being carted off to hospital. I was frightened in that I knew a replacement patch would take ages to work and I was at the end of my tether. The day was saved when I took a teaspoon of Oramorph (for breakthrough pain) which enabled me some composure and even a small sleep for a couple of hours. When I woke I just wanted to scrape my skin off. A long story short I found I was able to challenge and beat the devil in a patch. I refused to put on another patch and suffered no sleep or very little for about 2 to 3 weeks. Main problem was skin irritation which was eased by copious showers and baths. I refused to go out during this time but I am pleased to say I did come off the patches completely. However, after some months with just the occasional teaspoon of Oramorph for severe back pain, I found this not to be enough pain relief however I am now using just 25 patches and put up with some pain. The use of the fentanyl resulted in me loosing weight thus slightly easier on bottom of spine. SO it can be done but be prepared to meet the devil himself for a while, and if there is someone who can give you some help and support I did it so can you if you are determined. If you live in the UK I would be more than happy to help if I can. Its something they dont usually tell you about.  John.....
I have ankylosing spondilitis and I've been on 100mcg of Fentenal patches for about 9 years now and I put a new one on every 72 hours. Sometimes I get to the point that my feet and legs won't be still and want to jump around, and under my fingernails I have to keep pushing my skin back and forth I know it sound weird but I'm not sure if all these things are because of the patches. I don't think I have any bad reactions because of the patches. I know I am very addicted to them, but when I weigh out the symptoms from the patch verses the pain from the AS Unless someone comes out with something better, I will stick to the patches.
Hi All,

I am new to posting here, but not new to reading and I have a question I hope I can get some help with because a lot of you guys seem to have great advice!  I am 35 years old (female) and when I was 15 yrs old I was diagnosed with a degenerative joint condition, along with MS and a few other things (endometrosis, cluster migraine headaches, etc.).  At this point, I am obviously also a chronic pain patient as I have been in extreme pain for 20 years (I do not work and am considered completely disabled; I walk with a cane, etc.).  I was on Oxycodone and Oxycotin and Vicodin from the time I was 15 till I was about 25 and then I was switched to Fentynal patches because I was taking too many (prescribed!) pills to be safe for my liver.  My prescribed patch dose is 175 mcg every 2 days (so I am wearing one 100 mcg patch and one 75 mcg patch) and I take about 30 mg's of Oxycodone daily for breakthrough pain - or should I say I was.  I have recently decided that I REALLY want to get off the patches, at least for a little while so I can see how much residual pain I am truly dealing with.  In addition, I am SO tired of being forced to use the patches.  I don't want to be in pain, however, I am tired of feeling like an addict, which is exactly how I feel every time I am late putting on a new patch and start to have w/d's or every time I am rushing to get to the pharmacy before they close to fill my script filled (and I am always going on the day I am out of patches because my insurance will not cover it even one day early).  At this point, I would rather at least TRY the pain then never know if I can do it.

I talked this over with my pain doctor and he said no, absolutely not.  I spoke to my specialist (who doesn't prescribe the meds but obviously knows I take them) and also got a no and I talked to my family doc who also said no.  I am determined to at least see what my life is like with out these patches and see what my pain level is like all these years later.

So, over the course of the last 30 days, I went from 175 mcg every other day down to 100 mcg every day (so just one 100 mcg patch that I replaced every other day) and then I cut out the daily oxy's completely.  I was doing well with that and stayed at tht for a week and then because I still felt alright, instead of dropping to 75 mcg, I just went ahead down to 50mcg (so for a week I have been at one 50 mcg patch every other day).  I use the Mylan patches so I can cut them myself.  I am doing so-so.  I am in quite a bit of pain but it doesn't feel like w/d pain (or at least not all of it), it feels like my old, reliable bone and joint pain.  

I am ready to drop down again and this time I will be going to 25 mcg every other day.  I have tried going three days on a patch instead of 2 but that doesn't seem to work for me for a few reasons.  One, I have very oily skin and the patches peel - even with just two days I have to use a Tegaderm and waterproof medical tape and the tape peels off on a daily basis.  Secondly, for some reason I have been running a high body temperature for about the past year, which none of my docs seem to know how to fix or what's causing it and so the patch definitely doesn't last three days.  So my plan is to go to 25 mcg for a week and then drop down to 12.5 mcg (and I have heard from a lot of people that this is the drop that hurts).  

My question is, how hard will it be to stop at 12.5 mcg?  Anybody with past experience?  I know that 25 mcg is approx. the same as 30 - 60 daily mg's of Oxycodone so I would assume 12.5 mcg is approx the same as 15 - 30 mcg's of Oxy (and of course, I know that Oxy is MUCH easier to quit than Fentynal, the w/d's I have had from Fentynal are a bear and make the old Oxy w/d's seem like a cold compared to the Hell from the patch w/d's).  I know I am going to be sick, I am aware that it won't be pleasant but how bad are we talking?  Sweats, vomiting, diarrhea, chills, severe aches and pains, muscle and bone pain, sleeplessness, restless legs, anxiety, fever...will it be the whole thing?  And will I most likely still suffer protracted w/d?  I really want to do this but I do have a 10 yr old daughter and I can't have w/d for two or three months because that, coupled with my pain, will be unbearable.

I just wondered if anyone could advise me on their experiences, please.  I have been doing ok stepping down - I don't feel great but I don't feel awful.  

Any serious advice or comments welcome.

Thank you,

Sunny
I had been on Fentanyl for over a year when diagnosed with Advanced Breast Cancer, Mets to Bone and had some pretty painful tumors in my hips.  I had surgery 6 mo ago to take the tumor in my hip out and replace with cement where the hole was.  At that time I was up to 225 mcg and have been gradually coming down.  I was at 100 for a month, then 75, 2 weeks, 50 a week, 25 two weeks, then 12 for a week and last week (6 days ago) I took off the last one and have been feeling restless, and uncomfortable every evening.  I had norco 10/325 for breakthrough, which doesn't help but last night I took 2 benedryl and 2 norco after taking 600 mg ibprophen 2 hours prior and I slept well.  I feel fine during the day but at night is my problem.  There were 2 days last week I had no energy and slept all day (just had probs at night).  As I type this now I am feeling that resless feeling again.  I asked my oncologist nurse today after my monthly treatment and she said she would call me to give me a solution, but haven't heard yet.  I am hoping it will go away soon.  Good luck to all!
I started fentanyl patches in Dec 2012 - 25mg, then in Jan went to 50mg. I have to taper off, not a choice - my pain doctor has "fired" me because I would'nt stop taking hydrocodene. She offered me no taper off plan or any plan whatsoever. I am taking 50mg every 48 hours and have 7 left. What do I do??????
I'm in the same boat as everybody above pretty much.  Been on 2x100mcg patches for almost 10 years following a horrific, near fatal skydiving accident.  I was hospitalized for several months and had way too many injuries to list.  Like everybody else, my body is completely dependent on the patches and I suffer withdrawals if I go even a short number of hours past my usual change time.  I too would like to get off the patches at least briefly so I can see what my pain level would be (and what it feels like again to be a normal human being) without the patches, but it seems like an impossible task.  Still, I'm going to find a way, either by very gradually reducing my level, or perhaps a rapid detox if I can afford it at some point.  

One tip I'd like to offer to others reading and posting in this thread who have complained about suffering withdrawals as as they approach their prescribed time for changing their patches every 48 or 72 hours: Instead of taking your full prescribed dose every 2 or 3 days, cut the dose and the time in half.  For example, if you're supposed to take 100mcg every other day, cut the patch in half and take 50mcg every day.  You should never again suffer any withdrawals or feel like crap in between patch changes.  After several years of being on 2x100mcg every 72 hours and then eventually every 48 hours, and suffering like so many others by the 2nd or 3rd day, about 3 or 4 years ago I started changing 1 patch every day instead of 2 patches every 2 days as I was prescribed, and I can't tell you how much my quality of life improved.  

Changing my regimen so I that changed one patch every day instead of two patches every other day made all the difference in the world and kept me "even".  No more feeling like crap, and I still get the pain relief I need but on a level basis.  Obviously you can only do this if you use the Mylan brand of patches that don't have the gel-filled pouch.  If you're not already using the Mylan you should switch anyway imo.  They're way smaller (especially the 100mcg's), they don't make noise when you're moving your body like the gel-filled pouches do, which can be embarrassing if you don't want people to do know you're wearing something under your clothes, and of course you can easily cut them to any size you want.  The latter is particularly useful if you're trying to ween yourself off the patches or if you need to stretch your patches a little extra for whatever reason.  If you're a long-time user give this a try, I'm sure you'll feel much better than taking your full dose every 2 or 3 days depending on your prescription.  
Hi LadySundown, I have been on Fentanyl patches and oxycodone for 9+ years I talked to a pain doctor about stopping yesterday he said to stop the patches c/t and take oxycontin instead. I am going to try but am very afraid of the detox process because of high blood pressure, but he says I will be fine? I will try to let you know how it goes if I don't die trying. Do you know anything to help avoid some of the syptoms (symptoms) of withdrawal? DumbBunny
I have been on 100mcg fentanyl patches. For approx 8 year's oh and norco/vicodin longer. I tried this stop cold turkey and omg the vomiting and the other and the sweating and and.  I made it 2 weeks and ended up putting a patch on last night. My daughter got sick so I need to be there for her right now   I  am now thinking of trying methadone?   And suggestions on that?
Dear Melissa, I 'm new to this forum and saw your answer about getting off patches, I'm on 75mcgs and just so afraid of them. I started taking them in 2008, started at 50mcgs now on 75 mcgs. I have severe lower back pain and I tried morphine for 6 months but I have UC and it hurt my stomach so bad. I just don't know what to do. I'm not even sure what or how much pain I have. I would appreciate any help. Thank You!
Hi, folks,

Since this thread is old and the original participants are no longer taking part, we'll close it now.  If you'd like to ask a question or start a new thread, please click the "Post a Question" button near the top of this page.  Thanks!

Claire
______________________________________________________

******** CLOSED DISCUSSION ********

No more comments, please.
This discussion was closed by MedHelp moderators.