Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
How to withdraw from long-term hydrocodone use

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Viewing 201-246 comments:
My name is Shiloh and I can ditto every thing you have said.  I am 74 years old and did not know I was getting hooked on hydracodone after two knee, and1shoulder totally replaced plus 2, 8 inch rods in the full lumbar section of my spine pluss a serious roll over totaling my pick up with serious head and kidney injuries and cuts and broken bones plus a stupid move of running my left thumb thru my table saw which left it without nerves or a tendon even after full surgery it is useless.  All this over the last 8 years.  I am not looking for sympathy I just want to say why I have been on hydracodone and tramadol excessively under doctors orders for all this time.  I was in rehab for 7 days where they doped me up more and I thought I was ok until I got home and did not have what they were giving me and fell to pieces at the cost of $1,700 above my insurance.  I then went to rehab at VA and was there for  9 days.  They sent me home with a few gabapintin pills and said get over it but they did more for me than the civilian rehab.  I am still falling to pieces and feel like I can not make it the next 5 minutes.   All this to say I need some kind of hope and reading what you said helped me some.  I hope you are feeling better and also  might give me some advice.  Your new thoughtful and understanding friend.  Shiloh
What is the Thomas Recipe?
Dear Sad Girl :
I'm in my fourth day of cold turkey withdrawal after 12 years on hyrdocodone for 7 herniated discs and severe arthritis. As I hear your desperation (which seems so familiar to my own) I can't help but be reminded of a saying: the Lord doesn't give us anything we can't handle. Boy I'd love to pummel the face of the guy who wrote this quote, bet he hasn't gone through withdrawal. I just took the advice from another post which stated cough syrup containing Dextromethorphan (such as Nyquil cough and Flu which also contains acetominophen for pain) helps. I sent my husband straight to the pharmacy, it's been 2 hours since I took it and I'm feeling better. For me the insomnia (complete exhaustion and inability to sleep due to anxiety, uncontrolled tremors, and panic attacks are the worst). Finally I wanted you to know that you are not alone, that this to shall pass, but don't substitute due to desperation one drug for another. You can do this, just take it one day at a time
I am an addict too. I took anywhere from 4 to 6 30mg roxys for about 8 years not to mention the 10mg perc's and 80mg oxy's in between the roxy's. I started taking 5mg endos in the beginning for pain from a car accident I was in....never realizing how addictive opiates were. I started taking more and more  because I couldn't get that same feeling from them anymore. I tried to stop but  I couldn't function right without them. I felt tremendous pain in my bones the second day into trying to stop. I failed  three attempts trying to quit so I started to go to this place callled elm for meetings {womens group} and they would do random urine screens and if you came up hot they would report you to dyfs {division of youth and family services} which could lead to having my children removed from my home...mind you I have four children 3 of which were minors at that time. So I stopped and it was a painful 5 days before I felt better. I am now into my 17th month clean and sober. It was a very hard road to get here. I had to learn how to do everything over being sober and though it sounds weird it's a hard thing to do but so worth it. My only wish is that I did this a lot sooner.
sincerely, Jennifer
Hi, I know your post is older, but I am wondering how you are doing?  Four years ago I started the roller coaster of back surgery.  I have had a total of total of 4 including a fusion since the first.  In that time period I have been on hydrocodone up to 8 a day sometimes more.  Now I have been diagnosed with Shuererman's Disease of the Spine and a slight buldging disc which will end in another major surgery eventually.  Well, to make a very long story longer, I went off all meds to find out exactly how bad it really is.  It has been 14 days clean.  Mentally, and as far as, side effects go, fine.  Pain and sleep awful.  I was just curious if you found a resoloution for your pain without drug.  I want to be the mom and wife my family deserves.
We will keep you both in prayer God bless you I know what you are going through.
I had 6 joint visions, 1 joint replacement and bone grafting on my foot. I have been in a wheelchair for the last 3 months and have 1 more month to go before I can start rehab.  

I have never had a problem with pain meds but I am starting to get worried and need some advice.

Initially the docs gave me percocet and diladid but after 7 weeks of it I asked for something less strong...my mom had a pill problem and I am afraid of addiction. The docs gave me hydrocodone-acetamnophen 5-500, 1-2 tabs every 4-6 hours.

Here's my problem...I am not taking the meds as prescribed. I am taking 3 tablets two - three times a day. Two pills simply does not help the pain.....I need three.

The doctors are not worried about the amount I am taking...they say the procedures I had done are painful and they are surprised that I do not want stronger meds.....but I am worried.

I do not drink alcohol or take anything else but I would like your opinion.....am I headed for trouble?  I know that I will need pain control when I start rehab so I'm gonna be on something for a while.

To be perfectly honest....my concern is that I feel so good when I take the pills....euphoric....that I am worried.

Appreciate your advice.

Hi. I've just read your post and felt I needed to respond. I have fibromyalgia and have done for 14 years. I have taken many, many types of opiod pain medication over these years. I moved the the UK and got myself booked in to see a GP quickly. I told the GP my history and they prescribed me dihydrocodine. I can take up to 10 per day at 30mg's daily. You guessed it...taking more and more to maintain the buzz I found myself with a serious addiction. I need the tablets for my pain but really donr know what to do. I have decided to go cold turkey and today is day 4. I feel lethargig, fed up (constant rain isn't helping), unable to sleep with RLS. Having said that by night 3 I managed a full7 hours uninterruputed sleep and no RLS. I also take Amytryptiline 50mg's prior to going to bed but it had no effect on night 1,or 2!! I put my prescription in at the chemist 5 days ago and told them not to let me have it for 2 weeks. I am forcing myself to stop and take only what the dr has prescribed. He took me off my repeat as I was taking up to 18-20 tablets per day. I feel for anyone in this situation that we seem to have gotten ourselves into but I can't help believing, the DR's enabled us then when we have an addiction, they don't want to know. I have to see my GP once every 2 months and he writes 2 prescriptions each exactly 28 days apart. The past 2 months I found very busy chemists that wouldnt notice the dates and fill the script...and they did but this time, no more. I am going to take control of my life back if it takes every bit of energy I have. I am a secondary school teacher and am fearful of going back to teach and not have my pain management but I think it's what I need to wake up and appreciate what I have. Good luck all,
Hi guys my namr is britt and I really need some advice for a pickerupper..I have been abusing pain medication(roxies) for about 4 years now on and off,its not always an everyday thing but im getting closer and closer to rock bottom ive lost alot I dont feel like the same loving girlfriend,daughter,friend,siste or even person in general for that matter..my family is starting to catch on and thats the last thing I want to happen. I am on my day three of withdrawl (withdrawal) but trying to hide it and get up for work everyday is probably the hardest part about kicking this habbit..i really need some guidence just to let me know someone knows how im feeling to help me get through this low time in my life..thanks guys, Britt.
Congrats.  I have been on Morphine, then OxyContin and Hydrocodone for the past 9 yrs. These were prescribed by Pain Management doctors for fusions to neck and now lower back. I have started to wean myself off the hydrocodone, since I have stopped the OxyContin on my own. 2 weeks of severe stomach pain , chills and horrible moods. Now it is time for the hydrocodone. I am taking 7.5mg/750 APAP. I have liver disease. So now I'm on 2 a day. After reading some of the posts, I feel I should go to 1 for a couple of days and none. Since i'm taking what is prescribed, when i call my doctor he just refills. I don't understand why the doctors prescribing the drugs do this, but you have to do this on your own, like me. right now i feel fatigued, nauseated, lack sleep and RAGE. My poor husband won't help and doesn't understand even though he went through cocaine withdrawal before i met him. I'm glad I read this post, because I know other people are going through the same thing. Keep up the great job, once you are detoxified, remove all triggers and go healthy.
I tried the cold turkey way any I think my body was shutting down!! It was bad I made it 3 days I couldn't use bathroom I was a basket case so I relapsed I seriously need help what should I do just taper down slowly from 10 a day
Your not alone Hopeful girl. Ive had several severe mc wrecks so pain killers are not new to me. I had a injury where I almost lost my foot in 2009, I had never had a habit till I was released from the hospital 9weeks later. I was seeing 2 doctors to get the same norkos. Taking 8-9 10mg pills a day. Recently my pharmacy notified my main doctor. My doctor is the best & coolest in the world. He could easily have cut me off but he lectured me instead, he had the same problem hisself. He will never write hydrocodone to me again but I'm still his patient. I tapered myself off from 90 to 100 mg a day, down to just 10 mg a day the 1st week. The 2nd week I dropped to 5mg a day, 3rd week I'm down to 5mg every other day. Next week will be the hardest, 5mg twice a week. I had a few withdrawal symptoms the first week but I'm strong willed & it wasn't as awful as I expected. Just be strong and try to taper yourself off, you can do it if you set your mind to it. Good luck & if I can do it- ANYONE CAN DO IT!!!
i totaly understand i will lose my job  and i have five kids i dont have the money to do treatment that might actually might work from home  all i want is to get off for myself and my kids i see a big difference in me and i dont like it  and im sorry your going throw this just never give up there has to be something out there for us
I take 10 to 15 lortab 10 everyday monday thru sunday never miss a beat...i kniw its killing me my dr gives me 120 per month and 75 xanax witch may sound crazy but i do not abuse those     i also get several other scripts of lortab from other people so im never out but these damn things are killing me but i love the energy and motavation i get from them i need well experienced addicts like myself who has stopped using to educate me on the best way to get off these mot*** fu****s
Im am sorry you are going through this. I remember all of your symptoms so well, and I get so angry with myself for taking another pill knowing what it will be like to stop.  I to have alot of health problems herniated disc,hardware in spine,RA,fibromyalgia and unfortunately the list goes on. I need something to deal with the pain, but because I have taken it for so long and made the decision to take more than I should im addicted again!

It feels so strange to actually admit this right now because I have tried to hide it for so long. I dont have anyone that I can talk to because I have a very judgemental family that would just gossip and say hurtful things instead of trying to help me. I want to stop so bad because im tired of the constant worry of running out. Im very tired and depressed and afraid of going through all of those awful symptoms again. Im not sure where to go from here im so lost.
I've been taking them for 2 years straight and what to get off I take 10 to 12 a day I need help getting off please I can't do this
It makes me feel really good to hear your success story.  I started out 17 months ago on 4 10 mg percs a day and about 12 months in morphine was added.  I now run out too soo. Worrying how I will avoid withdraw .  I'm soo tired of this vicious circle and have almost given in to the fact that I am an opiate addict and don't have a clue how to wean.  I need help, I want to be over this nightmare and focus on my kids.  Anyone with advice or support, please..... I'm all ear
Hi and welcome! This is definitely th place to be if you are wanting to quit. There are so many knowledgeable, supportive people on here. This is an older thread here. If you go back out to the main page, and hit the 'post a question' link, you can start your own thread. It will help you to get more responses and support. There is also a link at the bottom of the page for the Thomas Recipe. It is full of vitamins and supplements that help lessen withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms. Please stay on here! We are here for you and want to see you succeed. Good luck to you!
I'm 3 week done from 12-20 norco 10/325 pills per day for 8 years. The painful crap is over, now it's burning eyes and lethargy.  I've found exerting myself helps a lot.  Basketball shooting, walking, yard work, anything to get the blood moving.  Waiting for the ocean to warm up and ill do done ocean swimming which has always cured everything.  I've been told I'm less anxious appearing, which is nice.  I've been doing everything I need to do and just waiting to feel normal

It's a funny lethargy.  I can bring myself to do almost anything including running.  In fact, I'm tempted to go play a bunch of full court to blow this out.  But, I'm in my early fifties so I don't know.  

I have to make the comment that most sound like big babies on here. 6 month 2-3 a day withdrawal and you are sniveling?  What a great life that that is such a horrible ordeal.  Look.  We took the pills now STFU and get over it.  I'm on here to see if anyone else has lethargy this far in and I can see they do so I won't be concerned if it doesn't cone back for a few weeks.

Seriously though.  This is an inconvenience not a crisis.  Maybe you should be on your knees thanking God that this is your worst problem.

And if you can't just "get through it".   You do need psychological counseling.  

THIS IS JUST NOT THAT BIG A DEAL!!!

IM OFF 12-18 PER DAY FOR 8 YEARS and I''m just waiting for my energy to come back.  I think about taking another, but nah, I don't need them any more.  Quitting smoking was harder.

Sometimes I think people sniveling on things like this ENABLES others to fall back.  "Oh see it is hard so it's ok to have more". NO IT ISN'T YOU'RE JUST BEING A BABY

Everyone on here says the same thing: just get through it.  The misery ends.  So suffer and stop sniveling and you'll be a better person all around.
It appears through my looking around as I am entering day 1 1/2 of a 30 10 mg per day lot tab habit of 3 years and was looking for advice. It is killing me to even write thus post but I just can't lay around and do nothing. I feel like I'm dying but as pink says " where there's a fire, someone's gonna get burned, just because it burns doesn't mean your gonna die, you gotta get up and try". My teenager asked me if we could make this the last time I try to get off these monsters. I have to do this. I hurt all over, no energy, can't bare the thought of having to fix something to eat or drink. I need to drink lots of water to Fred nourishment into my body. I know I can do this and plan on reporting with my PROGRESS. I have to lick this habit before it steals everything away from my family
Hi and welcome! You've replied on some very old posts. Scroll all the way to the top and you'll see an orange rectangle box that says "Post a Question." Click on that and copy/paste what your wrote. This will start a new thread and you'll get tons of feedback:). You can get off the pills and you'll receive tons of support and encouragement here!
I need help. I need to know what to expect quitting hydrocodone cold turkey. I have no more and just took my last one and have been taking 8 a say for ,2 years and can't go to a detox center, so what do I expect and will I be alright?
I've been up since 5 a.m. Central time reading these posts and it is already helping me so much. I will get back on here soon and post my story ( which will be a long one) and hope we can continue these discussions bc I have nobody else to talk to. Please help me. Jessica
I just noticed the posts I read was from 2002!  Can anyone tell me if there is somewhere else online to talk to others like us? Addicted to opiates? Feel free to email me at ***@**** with any suggestions. Ty
Hi there and welcome! Like you noticed, this is a really old post. If you go back to the main page and hit the post a question link you can share your story and you will get lots of support. Hang tight, weekends can be a little slow around here. Please stick around, there are so many encouraging, supportive, and knowledgeable people on this site.
I have been on painkillers for 9 years after getting in an accident the longer I took them the higher my tolerance became and my Dr kept prescibing more and stronger and that wasnt  enough I also started buyung them off the street I tried to quit several times but the withdrawls were so bad I kept going back to them finally after taking only methadone for a couple Weeks I managed to stay clean for 12 days but I stil could not function and was severly depressed so I started using again does anyone know how long that feeling lasts I feel like there is never going to be a light at the end of the tunnel I am unable to work bcuz I run out for a few days and on the verge of being homeless. Can anyone help!
God Bless You and may he keep you very close to him.. I'm sure he is..
Do you see how not alone you are? So many people. Pain killers eventually cause you more pain. I'm sure someone already told you that. I am at 2 weeks now.. no norcos... I'm getting back a little energy.. but, it doesn't last long. That's to be expected. My pain is bad, but this is the pain pills coming out of my body, and my body wanting more pills. For me this is not an option. I don't want them anymore.. They pretty much ruin your life eventually. Make you different than you really are. So many bad things come with taking the pills. i'll be very happy when I have a month behind me.. It will surely be much more easy now.. the past 2 weeks have been pretty bad... but, I took the pills very many years.. So, good luck, May God be with you, and keep you..
I too was on lie tab for years for back surgeries and pain. I graduated to Percocet 10 mg (no Tylenol) about 6 years ago. However I have the Percocet under control (no,really!). I take a max of 3 a day and most days I don't take any. My point for telling you all this is I've also had severe headaches for quite some time. This was accompanied by many, many other pains and wierd things. Anyway, I was told a couple weeks ago that I have a chiari malformation and chronic ischemic disease (both are with the brain). If I were you I'd do some research of your own, the information out there is endless. Start with all your symptoms and I'm sure there's more things going on with your body that you've probably not even thought could be related. Few drs will go "looking" for this stuff without a good reason. I would take your health into your own hands. Hind sight is 20/20.
what is the tom recipe?
If you go down to the bottom right of the forum page, it's in the most viewed section. Thomas Recipe is full of advice and tips to help with detox, hope this helps you!
I have been taking hydrocodone for 5 years after a back surgery. Now I am afraid I have chronic kidney disease. Anyone know if effects can be reversed if you quit taking this drug?? Do I need to check in to a hospital and get on IV or something to cleanse my body of this drug?
scared in Seattle
I...me....a mother..an ex wife of an a meth addict.....a young child of a daddy addict...the most anti- drug preacher on this planet....am an addict! I can not believe it! It all started with root canal after root canal and dentist visits over 2 years....that wasnt the problem! The problem was I married a man prescibed 10 mgs of hydrocodones! Every time I mention my back,feet,etc hurt from busting my *** at work....he had his hand out....eager to give me what i needed or now ...wanted! I have been taking 2-4 10mgs of hydros for 2 years now! My husband only thinks I take 1-2 a day..I sneak the others. I was taking one just to wake up...and thought they were giving me energy meanwhile i was still late for work! I would start to get anxciety if we were running low before next script! These pills have only sucked the life out of me.I preach to my kids about how bad all drugs are and here I am doing pills for no reason! I have decided to quit and take back MY LIFE! This site has really helped me knowing I`m not alone! Of course,since everyone knows me for being against drugs,I can not go into rehab or go to a doctor so I took some of your advice to wean myself off. I am down to taking 5 mgs in morning and another 5 mgs when I cant stand the muscle pain withdrawl (withdrawal) anymore! The worst part is at night at bed.I already suffer from restless leg syndrom (syndrome) so now its worse.But I will do this and so can everyone else because I refuse to be an addict!
In 2008 i about cut my left foot off with a chain saw ... dr had me on alot of different types of pills but i never really got go bad on them untill i stopped being a acholic of many yrs ...I'm 32yrs old an i have a son that was born 4 months early weighted 2lbs .. that stressed me out to the max.  Well i started taking pain killers off the street ... then i stopped drinking when i went to jail an had to see my son on the other side of a glass for 3 days ..... after ward of gettin out of jail i started taken more pikks as they was offered ... now here its been about 5 to 6 yrs now that ive been on pain pills ..... the last 3yrshe has been the hardest i cant go with out them ..i wake up thats my brake fast lunch an some times supper i have lost a lot of weight an im hooked an cant get off them ...i dont wanna be with out my son on or wife to go into rehabilitation any where .. is there advice i could vet how to detox on my own
It's so nice to know there are so many goin thru this crap too. I've been off pain pills for 9 days & told myself it'd be ok to take tramadol. Now I'm out of those & going through withdrawals all over again. I'm a single mother of a 5 yo boy & find myself struggling to pay bills because I spent hundreds a wk on pills. My faith in God & the love for my son has kept me going but how long will this depression last? Its got me down bad.
How you doing? Im on day 12 no energy its been hard  
you sound worse off then myself, i have had 2 disc fusions, and been diag... with ddd,and authorize , and 6 years now on Vicodin, and the latest they gave me  gabapentin also,but started noticing more anxiety and depression from it, and bad thoughts,so i could turked the gabapenten   now im working on the hydrocodone i have been taking for 6 years, but i have never missed used them,took 3 a couple of times, but mostly 2 a day 7.5/acetaminophen , now i am trying weaning myself off those,just wondered if you new a time frame, ill be praying for you and hope you feel better, prayer does help me and staying busy with walking and light house cleaning exercises helped pretty good today, hope this helps you a little God Bless.
        Britt,I  like willing addict that just had a multiple disc repair other's are either u are just drug addict, just taking them to get high. I'm waiting to get high; Lucky to control surgery Just done Monday at 6 levels, I've finally learned that it's without choice and I need never explain,
        Now I have learned to start tapering down on my own. Rather than going to Detox who is ready for your speedy get out of here attitude 4 to 5 days in, meetings every hour, and a lot of head counting not dealing with the real reason you felt you needed to go as follows; I sick of being sick, I'm hurting from head to toe, I need to feel better self worth, I want my family to feel better about me and trust me, everyone thinks I need help, I can't stop, etc. Any ring a bell?
         Well let me try to give you my help and advice, if you feel any of the above is why you went, you shouldn't have went. I went on 9-11-13 9 days, Nov.13, 14 days effort to avoid surgery, which means more pain meds, In short I found out in both cases if I didn;t have name tag they didn't even know me. I turned it around and it floored me. $1,400.00 a night, I had real issues, and couldn't say I'm so terrible for stealing, being abused, or I'm just sick. My real needs went unanswered and was not a person there to help me deal with head injury, lost of family member, in constant pain from a 5 level d
going through withdraws right now.....isn't fun. I went 5 days straight with nothing at all and I was very proud of myself.  I have been taking any type of pain killers from loratabs to straight oxycotins for on and off 4 years.  I was clean for a year from may, 5th 2012 - april 27th 2013. man I was so proud of myself.  but I was also traveling around from grand Teton Wyoming to vail Colorado for seasonal work.  I moved back Kansas after the last winter season and was bored out of my mind.  my friend came over and had percocets and he gave me a few to take. knowing that I would jump right back into the same routine I had I did it.  that was the worse choice I ever made.  things weren't bad at first but then stress and depression came onto me.  so I started buying more and more everyday.  I couldn't stop myself.  and then I became addicted again.  starting watching my money go down the drain.  the first time I quit it was hard but I went to the doctor and told them I hurt my back and I didn't want narcotic medication.  and they gave me two types.  they gave my tramadol and gabapentin. I was lucky that I got these cause I kicked the habbit alittle bit easier.  I took 6 tramadol and 6 300mg gabapentin.  within 2 weeks I was feeling a lot better and signed up to get the hell out of Kansas.  now this is the worse I've ever done.  my girlfriend moved to Kansas to be with me and we had a plan to move back to Colorado together.  but since I have no money and she has no idea about me taking pain killers she always wonder where my money goes.  so at the momentshe is moving back to Colorado and I'm staying here.  she couldn't afford to bring me out there with her.  so with no money,no job, and my girlfriend leaving, I'm back on my own.  its ruined my life.  I have to sell my TV, my computer and my xbox one I just got in order to pay the bills.  I feel like this really screwed up my life.  so as of yesterday I was 5 days clean.  well I had people call me and tell me they had an awesome deal for me.  and I broke my 5 days clean.  but I decided to use this to my advantage and take less and less everyday.  will that work?  if anyone has any advice for me on how to help the pill sickness go away please help.  I need to get my act together and be the person I was and save up money to buy an engagement ring.  I just want to feel normal again and happy.  

Thank you for taking the time to read my post
I have been having headaches for years. My wife made me go to doc a couple years ago and it ended up being caused by bone spurs and I tried the shots through the side of my neck and they made the pain worse.They did a disc fusion last April and I don't have to turn my neck at my hips anymore but I still have a lot of pain especially when it's cold.Since I am a cabletech there is no hiding from the cold. I was taking four oxycodone 10/325. My wife told me to stop taking them or get out.I was not over taking what was prescribed.I tapered down to one a day but I break it in half. I am still in a lot of pain.Is there an alternative to opiates for pain?
Hi Hope and welcome, this is a very old post and could get over looked. Please go to the top of this page and hit the orange post a question button. Follow the instructions and create your own thread. If you need any help just ask. Hope to see you in the forum. this is a great place for support.
Been taking hydrocodone for about a 1 1/2 yrs this time. This is my 3rd trying to stop taking the meds. I also have back problems. That's how I am able to stay on the meds. I get refills for 6 month at a time. I'm working on my 72 hours not taking the meds. Every time I say, this is it and I find myself right back. I'm so done with this roller coaster ride. Jesus give me strength to conquer this battle
i have been on pain meds for 7-8 years.. i was always scard to cut cold turky.. 3 weeks ago today i woke up an told my husben to take me to detox.. but the catch was i had to tell my doc the truth what was going on.. so as if it was fate the detox had 1 bed avable an the drive was3 hours away.. my doc had a opening right then when i called. so my husbend an i went in an i was nervis about telling him i needed help.. but he already new i need help he was waiting on me to  come to him.. well he avousely took me off hydrocodone an morphne an has me on methadone to help with the come down .. i have to get my scripts every week he blood tests me every week pee test me every week.. i never thought i could do it but it did..An sence i have been off  of hydros an morphone i have been so proud of my self.. good luck to all .. t
many highly functional famous people take narcotics on a regular basis. Everyone does not loose control.
Viewing 201-246 comments: