Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Hydrocodone, Ultram, Cymbalta Withdrawals

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Can anyone offer any suggestions of how to ease the withdrawal symptoms I'm having going from 40-60mg Hydrocodone a day to 20 mg a day in one week; 100mg daily of Ultram down to 50mg daily in one week; and from 90mg daily Cymbalta to 30 mg. a day in one week?  I feel like I could bite nails in half.  My head is in a vice and has these startling wooshing-type things.  My legs are getting restless.  I'm tired but I can't sleep very well.
Any help at all would be appreciated.
Is there a reason you're having to cut all three of these at once? If I were you, I'd wean off the hydo first, then the Ultram, and the Cymbalta lasy. Having the antidepressant around during the opiate weaning process can be very beneficial.
That sounds like a wonderful idea, but due to money issuesI am at the last of my prescriptions and don't have money to do anything but quit it all.
Well unfortunately, there's little you can do except try and taper down best you can. I would recommend that you try and continue the Cymbalta...or switch to an antidepressant that's available as a generic. The Ultram can cause depression issues (the hydro as well), so stopping an antidepressant with these could be too much.
Okay, that's what I've gleaned from reading the forums.  I have been given Lexapro samples by someone and know that I can tolerate them because I was on them a couple years ago.  I started them today as I am on my last week of Cymbalta.  Thanks Guy.
What a tough situation but on the upside, when they are all over with, you have more money in your pocket & quite possibly improved health.

Because Ultram itself contains an antidepressant, withdrawal often leads to heightened anxiety & disrupted serotonin so it may be a double whammy if you discontinue the Cymbalta at the same time.  I agree with the others, if at all possible, try to taper off the Ultram as quickly as you can manage before attacking the Cymbalta.

This sounds very harsh, are there no free clinics where you could at least be prescribed sufficient meds to do a reasonable taper program?

Best wishes,

Michelle
I'm on a horrible ride in hell right now due to taking all these meds and not knowing the interactions first.

I've lost trust in our local medical community, so I'm fighting  (over 24 hours off all the pills now) going to the ER for Serotonin Syndrome.

IMO ...Cymbalta, Ultram (Tramadol hcl) and Hydrocodo are all poisons.

Serotonin syndrome occurs when you take medications that cause high levels of the chemical serotonin to accumulate in your body. Serotonin syndrome can occur when you increase the dose of such a drug or add a new drug to your regimen. Certain illicit drugs and dietary supplements are also associated with serotonin syndrome.

Serotonin is a chemical your body produces that's needed for your nerve cells and brain to function. But too much serotonin causes symptoms that can range from mild — shivering and diarrhea — to severe — muscle rigidity, fever and seizures. Severe serotonin syndrome can be fatal if not treated.

Symptoms
By Mayo Clinic staff
Serotonin syndrome symptoms typically occur within several hours of taking a new drug or increasing the dose of a drug you're already taking. Signs and symptoms include:
Agitation or restlessness
Confusion
Rapid heart rate and high blood pressure
Dilated pupils
Loss of muscle coordination or twitching muscles
Heavy sweating
Diarrhea
Headache
Shivering
Goose bumps

Severe serotonin syndrome can be life-threatening. Signs and symptoms include:
High fever
Seizures
Irregular heartbeat
Unconsciousness

When to see a doctor
If you suspect you might have serotonin syndrome after starting a new drug or increasing the dose of a drug you're already taking, call your doctor right away or go to the emergency room. If you have severe or rapidly worsening symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.

More info at: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/serotonin-syndrome/DS00860/DSECTION=causes
Milder forms of serotonin syndrome may go away within a day of stopping the medications causing symptoms and, sometimes, taking drugs that block serotonin.
I came off Cymbalta last year and it was HELL..In fact I think there is a website called Cymbalta Hell....But since you're already on an Anti-depressant..if you can save quitting that for last...I lot of people get "Brain Zaps." coming off Cymbalta...I can't describe them..but you will surely know when you are having one...All of these meds change our brain chemistry for the worse so it really is an illness...Good luck to you....Anj.