Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen Overdose at over 72 hours...

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Okay so heres the breakdown:

Sunday night I bought a bunch of hydrocodone 7.5/Acetaminophen 650-- 30 of em. I went through most in the following days

5 pills/2600 mg  (Sunday)

7.5 pills 14 hours later 4875 mg   (Mon)

6 pills 23 hours later 3900 mg   (Tues) (with attempe\ted CWE which I dont believe worked correctly)

5 more pills 8 hours later 3250 mg  (Tuesday night at 7 pm, no CWE)

Its been approx 80 hours since my last dose and I was reading online that 72-96 hours is where liver failure occurs from acetaminophen overdose.... I havent had any serious symptoms yet-- I didnt have any vomitting/nausea within 24 hours of any doses, however had slight abdominal pain that almost felt like it was the more squishy material connected to my ribs themselves kinda right below of my sternum. The pain came and went and didnt worsen much but seems to become more persistent. My head is starting to ache a little bit now and I have pressure in my lower abdomen that feels like just gas...

I guess my question is; at this point in time am I in the clear or in the highest danger zone? If I went to the ER at this point would they even be able to do anything for me?

No lectures please, I know I'm a drug addict-- thanks.
Tags: tylenol
Oh also I am a 135 pound male, 26 years old, and I regularly take subutex/suboxone which is prescribed to me... I take about 5 mg a day in 2 doses.
if you're wondering why/how I could take the hydrocodone with the subs well... I didn't--- For those two days I took only the hydrocodone and .5 mg xanax
Hello and Welcome!  
Yes that's alot of acetaminophnen intake.  We're not here to judge you or lecture you, just to help you if we can.  

It looks like you picked a really slow time to post - and unfortunately I don't have a good answer for you.  I would wait around a bit and see if someone else with experience in this area comes online and is able to give you some good advice.  I'm glad you posted though, and if you start feeling like something is really wrong, don't second guess yourself, get some urgent care!

Keep posting so we know how you're doing.

Well wishes to you...

Sandy :)
i am not sure if you are in the clear or not. there is an antidote  the er can give you. i dont know if it is too late or not.
please call the poison control they will beable to answer your question.

National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.

please call and then let us know what they say.
are you ready to quit? you arent taking the subs right and will have withdrawals from them also.
we can help you with a detox. you should seek counseling.
praying for you
debbie
I am not ready to quit. I know there is an antidote but-- my understanding is that at this point the NAPQI metabolite has reached or is near reaching its maximum -- I have no health insurance as of 4 days ago so I really cant afford a trip to the ER. I asked my mother about it (shes a former nurse and pharm tech) and she said I would be fine but I dunno. That being said I've had friends who've swallowed 20 hydrocodone in under 3 hours and been perfectly fine....

Right now I'm sorta freaking myself out I think and I am very thankful for the concern-- and to debbie-- no- I'm not ready to quit. I mean I've been trying for 6 years on and off shooting heroin and popping other opiates etc. and right now is actually the best I've been doing in a while. It would be funny, in a sort of morbid way, if it wasnt an acute overdose of street drugs that did me in, but rather this. Ha.

Anyway I'm thinking about calling poison control but will they automatically call 911? If an ambulance shows up here my father will assume I'm on dope and kick me out and I have no ride of my own.... also, as I said before... I just cant afford it. I should have just moved to Canada like I threatened to do a long  time ago...
please break it down better for me ...how many have you taken in one day and if your last doses were Tuesdaty night anfd today is friday? I am just not understanding....how long have you been using? and have you not used since tuesday?
the poison control is supposed to be confidential.
Poison Control
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

See: Poison control center - emergency number
.
not a lecture just some thoughts.
you dont want to quit-- but have been trying to quit for 6 yrs?
you are doing better now?
what means did you use to try to quit? on your own? a detox? rehab?
do you go to counseling or a support group?
with the sub program you should be receiving counseling. the subs are supposed to help stabilize you and work a recovery program.
you stopped taking the subs?
why you wanted to get high?
i live in new jersey and know a free rehab if you want to go.
I didnt say I dont want to-- just that I'm not ready yet. I've been using for the last 6 years, been trying to quit for about a year now. I've given up the needle entirely and with time I'll get better-- I stopped taking the subs for a blood test (which came back normal) Support groups and counselling havent worked for me-- I've tried a dozen or so times and I'm just not that type of person. I dont believe in God (except for when I think I'm dying, like right now) but thats not the issue at hand....

I'm about to call poison control because my headache is getting pretty bad...
and there are free emergency health care clinics here in TX, but thats a long way away from Canada....
ok. give them a call.
thats great you were able to give up the needle.
i hope i didnt sound judgemental. i am sorry i said "you wanted to get high"
that was wrong of me.
please give us an update, we do care.
yes in time you will stop.
HI the E/R wil just bill you some blood work will telll you where you stand everybody is different I use to eat them by the hand full and never had any problems or go lucky or mabe God was watching over me look at it this way you would just blow the money on dope anyway it worth saving your life over
this is nothing to mess with you have taken a lot over several days in a row
your liver can only metabolize so much and your over the limit for that time frame GO TO THE E/R.........Gnarly
Honestly TO ME it sounds like ur having w/d pains.Thats A LOT of buffer though+that can give u pain+discomfort and both that amount of buffer+w/d cause headaches
Your liver is located  just under your ribs more to  your right side. An acetaminophen overdose causing liver damage would cause pain in that area.
And note, that once liver damage occurs, there is no "antidote"
Any "antidote" for acetaminophen poisoning is typically given, and only effective within the first hour or so of ingestion.  days later is of no use. It's already done it's damage and is out of the body 4-5 hours after taking it.

If you caused liver failure, the pain goes away, and between 24-72 hours later the toxins it releases begin to act on your kidneys, and will shut them down also.

If you are still urinating at this point then that probably hasn't happened. But if your urine is very dark , brownish, and smelly, then you have done some damage, and should get to the hospital for assessment.

As for the headaches, that's just Tylenol withdrawal.

Taking subs after taking hydrocodone isn't a good Idea, but nothing you are doing is.
Why you are  prescribed subs in the first place is mind boggling, as it's a crappy pain killer, and you don't get a buzz from it either. All it does is prevent you from getting a buzz from other opiates. That's what it's supposed to do.

Since you don't want to quit abusing drugs apparently, You are going to continue playing Russian roulette with your liver. If it isn't dead already, it soon will be, as will you.
There is no "cure" or "antidote" for liver failure, and subsequent kidney failure. You will just get a few days extra life while on dialysis to say so long to everyone before you die.  It isn't likely that you will recieve a liver transplant, as there are others who aren't trying to kill themselves who would receive any that come available.

Good luck with whatever life you have left since you "aren't ready" to quit abusing drugs. Personally I think you were ready long ago, so does your liver, if it's still alive.  

It doesn't matter if he stops taking the sub for a day while he takes the hydro's. it takes 72 hours for the sub to get out of his system anyways, so he's just fooling himself. Thats why he's taking so many trying to get a buzz,
As long as he resumes before the sub is out of his system, he won't feel wd's much if at all.
If however he waits too long, he could cause precipitated withdrawals when he resumes the subs and has too much hydro in his system, in which case he deserves it anyways.
Poison control won't be much use to him at this point either. Any "antidote" for acetaminophen poisoning has to be given within hours, not days later.
The only thing he can do at this point is go see if he still has any liver function left. If he killed it, the toxins from his dead liver will gradually shut down his kidneys as well as they build up.   Dead livers don't hurt at this point. He'll feel his kidneys a bit before they shut down though.  Then the pancreas will fail, and the grenade goes up in the gut feeling occurs. He'll feel that a lot. He'll go to the hospital then, he won't be able to stop himself.  It's very painful, and he'll be getting sicker by the second.  

There is no point sugar coating what he is possibly doing to himself. He'll either smarten up and go get help, or he'll just go try get high some more until he does.  
What make you think Canada will give you fee health care? They won't even let you in the country if you are sick. And won't treat you without insurance even if you were in the country unless you are a legal landed immigrant.

I don't think your pappy will kick you out if an ambulance shows up at your door, not at that point anyways. And he'd have every right to be PO'd at you for taking drugs. Any father would.
I speak with out poison control center on a daily basis. They will not send an ambulance to your house. They will only recommend that you do it yourself. They will ask you for your address and phone number but if your concerned just don't give it to them. They will have a huge database that will show what levels of meds will be toxic to your specific body weight. 90 percent of the calls I take are about children eating their parents pills but I'm assuming with your low body weight, they would recommend the ER. However since you've waited for so long, they may ask you if you have certain symptoms. I'm 8 years of being a 911 dispatcher, I've never come across a bad poison control operator. They are required to be RNs and really helpful. You should give them a call to at least put your mind at ease.
Oh and as for your abdominal pain, have you gone to the bathroom since taking all that? Hydrocodone can cause constipation and that's what it sounds like to me. When I'm constipated, I get upper and lower abdominal pain similar to what you described. And sorry about my typos in the post above. I'm on my phone and the auto correct went a bit crazy lol
Haha wow. Its amazing how bored you people must be-- thanks tho, I've never seen anyone this concerned with my life-- legit.

The canada comment was a joke, btw, I know if my liver dies and I need a transplant I'm ****** unless I'm rich wherever I am. And trust me, you don't know my pappy-- he's nuts. Like, literally senile and just cant handle the drama and I dont wanna bring it on him anyway.

and yeah poison control was useless. Its been almost 96 hours now (knock on wood) and I'm still alive. Little fever, abdominal pain fading in and out, headache gone this morning but starting to return... probably just from all the stressin' took .5 xanax to calm down-- if I die, I die, but my theory is that this will probably be the worst of it and I'm gonna make a full recovery after tonight. Mind over matter and all that...
also to the guy Luckytwice, there is so much wrong with what you said I dont even know where to begin; subs not a pain killer its more like methodone except it has an opiate blocker in it-- i dont take it to get a buzz, i dont feel anything but normal from it. The headaches are not tylenol withdrawl (withdrawal)-- the tylenol is out of my system and has been for a while by now-- its the NAPQI thats hanging around hurting my liver. My pee is perfectly clear. I aave a VERY healthy appetite and I'm not experiencing anything like what you're describing. I think you're just assuming the worst case scenario... you overlooked the fact that 1. I'm young, generally healthy  2. I never took an acute overdose over 7g  3. my liver has seen some ****.
And to luciddreamgirl-- actually yeah. I am constipated I believe-- now that I think about it I have been plugged up this whole time. You think I should take something or eat something to help with that?
I usually do enemas when I get my spells. Not everyone is comfortable doing those though. You could buy some stool softeners. And eat lots of fiber cereal like frosted mini wheat's. It will help take the pressure off your belly and make the pain go away.
It sounds like he may want to quit, just doesn't have the drive/willpower  at this point. Heck I was that way too -part of me knew I needed to, part of me didn't think I could, part of me was not ready to end it just yet.

The pills really steal your willpower/self control and play mind games with your personal situation making it seem worse than it really is. Hopefully he will catch on at some point-There was a good metaphor at the very end of LOST, where Jack is on the beach and can faintly hear the other side calling but can't quite make out what they are saying. Hopefully he will get to this point and if so he will do just fine.
Yeah u could probably stand2take something for constipation. Ok What Im confused about is u make a joke or acting so calous about the real concern people here r displaying toward u.U ARE playing games w/ur body that can be lethal no matter ur age or how healthy u THINK u r.I just wanna let u know that ur probably not n general good health as u said ur liver has seen some **** right?!It doesnt matter if ur young u r abusing ur body and it can only take so much.
As for luckytwice he said subs would b a bad choice4pain management(that was the point of the comment)and what followed was also NOT incorrect it was simply a statement of IF u have this problem and Its like this Its a bad sign+go2the ER.This forum is full of addicts(most n recovery) who try to support each other+newcomers on there quest2sobriety.U got insulted by luckytwice because that post ended with blunt honesty+u dont wanna face that.It is heart breaking to all of us when a young kid comes here worried about liver failure from wicked amounts of tylenol then turns around and says there not ready for help.Ur so young we dont want u2waste years of ur life getting high like a lot of us b4u realize u need help or worse die b4ur21.U r the type of addict that will risk ur home+health2get high so chances r if u dont stop now u will most likely b1of those who never get the opportunity2experience how good sobriety feels.I do hope Im wrong and good luck
        My bad I just saw ur 26.Well n that case ur comment about how  we all must b bored because kind people r trying2help.Very childish man.
I hope sometime soon u will realize what all  ur missing out on+make the decision to clean up once+for all
you may THINK i'm bored along with the rest of this forum, but the people here give some of their valuable  free time willingly to try and help another person in need.  @overopiates  - i agree completely - childish man.
Enough said.

S.
"Haha wow. Its amazing how bored you people must be-- thanks tho, I've never seen anyone this concerned with my life-- legit"

not bored just caring people who want to help. you came here for help and got alot of support.
it made you feel good that we do care. you stated never seen anyone this concerned with your life.
well...... we are.
stick around,
when you are ready to enter rehab. i have a free one right in newark or perth amboy with a bed ready for you.
sending hugs and prayers.
debbie
No-- I was half joking anyway-- as with anything I say. I think you guys are just taking this a little too seriously-- its just death. Life hurts way more.The pain and depression and anxiety my own mind wrecks on itself is far worse.

Anyway, its been over 100 hours now and no jaundice or serious symptoms. I think I might have had a fever but I cant really tell-- still not gonna go to the ER (talked to a doctor who seemed hardly concerned and basically told me she thinks I'll be fine ... but not officially.So-- Whose betting against the doctor on my untimely death ?
i am glad you are feeling ok.
did you start to take the subs again?
so which part is a joke and which is serious?
you right life can hurt.
drugs arent the answer to feeling better,
it is only temporary.
self medicating isnt the way to deal with your anxiety and depression.
there is help. counseling and support groups do work. maybe you just didnt find the right one yet.
we want you to live and to live life, clean,sober and yes happy.
it can be done.
I hope all is well and you are recovering from your near death!  the reason we are here is because we care about ourselves and want to help those who are beginning to care for themselves as well.  Thanks for coming here and asking  for help...it allows us to share information and help when we can.  When you are ready to quit or at least seriously thinking about it, please come back so we can support you in your move towards being clean.  I have found wonderful support and kindness here and want to respond in kind to others.  I hope you are able to quite before permanent damage is done to your body.  You are so young and have a lot of life left to live.  I know that the drug filled cloud I was living with was just a way to ignore the world and my problems and even the good things seemed not important.  Take care.
Is there anything I can do to clean out my liver,, I did the same thing pretty much? its been more than 24 hours since my vomiting stopped ... I have a little pain under my ribs and I am noticing joundice slightly in my eyes. I got severe leg cramps last night that kept me up all night. my urine was dark earlier but i have been drinking water alot and its just light yellow now... I think I am constipated.
I feel pretty good now but am worried sick.

thanks for any help that comes SOON
Blind
So, if I did damage my liver too much to repair, the joundice in my eyes will keep getting worse and I will eventually stop urinating and my kidneys go out?
The above poster mentioned if he "can still pee"... how long does it take for that to stop flowing? because I can pee alot..
I was looking at the internet and saw that joundice was a sign of liver damage so I just noticed it about an hour ago... I think I am ******,
Is there a chance my liver can regenerate if I keep doing healthy things? and what to try?
also, how bad is morphine for the liver? can I keep taking my prescribed meds?

I know this is alot but I was ok until I saw the joundice side effect thing on the web. I took close ups of both eyes and was going to wait a few hours to see if clears up or gets worse...

as I understand, since its been over 24 hours since my vomiting, the damage is done or is it possible I might be ok?

thanks
Hi blind. U should really post ur own question ppl tend to overlook the old ones like this. But my suggestion is to get to an ER right away. Can u give more information on what u too to make u think ur liver is failing? Please go to main page and click post a question so u get the proper responses!!!