Hydrocodone addiction?
Hi I have a Chronic on going illness that I have been dealing with for over ten years now. I never had any problem until 2 years ago when all the pain returned. I lost 30 pounds in 3 months and was in and out of the hospital with my Crohn's disease. My dr prescribed my hydrocodone for the pain. It helped alot but after awhile i felt that it wsn't working anymore as the pain still continued ans currently does. This has been a 2 year on going deal. My dr's have tried everything for my flare ups but all they seem to hand me are pain killers. I only take them when I am in extreme pain buy my physician advised me to take them on a daily basis every 6 hours before the pain starts. I'm scared I may become addicted.
sounds like u are not abusing them...there is always a chance someone will..not everyone does tho...do u have any past addiction to alcohol or pills?
my doctor told me that if a person is in pain they will have an easier time getting off....that was 7 years ago and am still in pain .....the fact that i'm a member of this site shoots that theory all to hell.........
I agree 100%. I read all the theories and statistics of chronic pain patients taking opiates for pain and people taking pills searching for the high. IMO, I feel that people in chronic pain are sometimes at higher risk for addiction for two reasons. First, because they have a steady prescription coming in every month.They know their drug is readily available. Secondly, the mere fact that a condition is chronic puts one at a higher risk of depression thus, self medicating. I know this to be true b/c that is what I did. I needed the pain relief, that I will never deny. I also needed the emotional relief b/c of the depression. Now, I am going to work out the depression issues b/c I know self medicating is not my answer. It is wearing me down.