Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Hydrocodone addiction?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hydrocodone addiction?

Hi I have a Chronic on going illness that I have been dealing with for over ten years now. I never had any problem until 2 years ago when all the pain returned. I lost 30 pounds in 3 months and was in and out of the hospital with my Crohn's disease. My dr prescribed my hydrocodone for the pain. It helped alot but after awhile i felt that it wsn't working anymore as the pain still continued ans currently does. This has been a 2 year on going deal. My dr's have tried everything for my flare ups but all they seem to hand me are pain killers. I only take them when I am in extreme pain buy my physician advised me to take them on a daily basis every 6 hours before the pain starts. I'm scared I may become addicted.
sounds like u are not abusing them...there is always a chance someone will..not everyone does tho...do u have any past addiction to alcohol or pills?
my doctor told me that if a person is in pain they will have an easier time getting off....that was 7 years ago and am still in pain .....the fact that i'm a member of this site shoots that theory all to hell.........
I agree 100%. I read all the theories and statistics of chronic pain patients taking opiates for pain and people taking pills searching for the high. IMO, I feel that people in chronic pain are sometimes at higher risk for addiction for two reasons. First, because they have a steady prescription coming in every month.They know their drug is readily available. Secondly, the mere fact that a condition is chronic puts one at a higher risk of depression thus, self medicating. I know this to be true b/c that is what I did. I needed the pain relief, that I will never deny. I also needed the emotional relief b/c of the depression. Now, I am going to work out the depression issues b/c I know self medicating is not my answer. It is wearing me down.