Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Hydrocodone; me and my wife....help please....

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

First-about me. I have been taking hydrocodone products on and off for about 5 years. I have been taking them DAILY for about 16 months-Vicodin ES and Vicoprofen mostly. I am at the point now where I take about 10 a day. I am just wondering, what is this doing to my body? My heart, brain, liver, kidneys etc.

Also, we just found out my wife is about 6 weeks pregnant. She has also been taking Vicodin ES, (but NOT Vicoprofen as much),  about 1-2 pills a day for the entire 6 weeks and even before that. Is there a risk the baby could be affected? She definitely does NOT take as much as I do.

Thank you all for your help.
Help!

This is my first time to write and I don't think I have done it correctly, but after 2 days of trying this is the first time I have seen a spot to write.  I guess that is therapeutic in its own way.
  Anyway, I need help and advice on stopping.  I have been using 5mg vicodin for 4 months about 5-6 day.  Before that is was Percocet for 2 years.  I want to stop? but I cannot go to a facility or appear or act badly at work.  My job is very high profile and serious consequences would result for poor or inappropriate behavior.  A friend suggested slow taper and than just prior to complete stoppage use ms contin twice daily and then slower taper this as this would help with WD's.  Any other suggestions, or over the counter help to help with fuzzy head feeling, sleeplessness(using Ambien occasionally for sleep that doesn't always work either and Benadryl had failed.)  Also terrible sweats even though I am still taking 4 per day.
  I really feel lost and worry what I will feel like after, and is it worth stopping.  Thanks to anyone who will listen!
I am 4 1/2 months pregnant. I was addicted to Lortabs (pain pills) for about 2 1/2 years. I found out I was pregnant about a month after and knew I needed to get help. I found this web sight and asked for help and so many kind people filled in all the blanks for me. I went to a doctor and he put me on a months supply of Methadone to get off of the Pain Pills because everyone told me my baby will be born addicted. There is no way I could put my new born child through this, so I took advice and started the treatment, only to find out later by another doctor that I had been put on way too high of a dose of Methadone to start with. Then he tells me the treatment was too short, that most pregnant women stay on the methadone until the baby is born, it is suppose to be alot better for you and the baby. But I got the short end of the stick. I started out on 40mgs for one week to 30 - 20 - and finally 10mgs the last week for one month. I followed all the instructions and I still had major withdraws for 4 days. I think the withdraws were the same as getting off of Pain killers. And they told me there is a high risk of a Miscairage if you suffer withdraws, so I put myself in the hospital on the 3rd day of withdraws because I didn't think I was going to make it, I felt like dieing!!!! They offered to put me back on the Methadone, but I said to them "if there's damage, it's done, I've gone through the worst of the worst with 12 more hours to go, NO THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......
I rested for about a month. I had absolutely NO energy. But I have been clean for about 2 months now and everyday gets better and better. If your wife isn't taking but 2 a day tell her to take 1 tomorrow and throw the pills out. She can stop now and not do any harm to the baby, but if she continues her baby may suffer from lack of nutrients due to her Placenta which leads to all sorts of disorders, or she could have a miscarriage.  

For the husband, one good thing out of all this is you both understand each other which makes it so much easier when you both quit. If you are going to try and quit cold turkey, and only if you REALLY want to quit! The only temporary relief I got when I was going through the withdraws, and I do mean very short temporary relief, is taking as many HOT baths as you can. But be careful from the exhaustion and lack of sleep that you don't fall asleep in the tub. Also go buy an assorted box of those new self-adhiesive heating pads, you'll need them for your joints. Drink LOTS of WATER. And try hard to get a prescription of Wellbrutrin(SP?) 150mg If you can..... DO SO! IT WILL KEEP YOU SANE. DRINK ONE-TWO REDBULLS OR 180'S TO GIVE YOU SOME ENERGY, BUT ONLY AFTER YOUR 72 HOUR WITHDRAWS ARE OVER. NO CAFFIENE AT THAT TIME!
Oh I quit Smoking after 16yrs too, BUT that's a whole nother story.

Good Luck...Desperatetimes
The good news is there is virtually nothing one can to in the first (pregnancy) trimester to harm the/a fetus. I am a neonatologist. Been There. Seen That. Delivered them, addicted and not. This is NOT a license to abuse/use narcotics or alcohol or tobacco. Do NOT use, especially preggers, but if it is w/in this time period (1st trimester), one is fairly safe.

otz
I strongl;y disagree!  The first trimester the fetus is very susceptab;e to drugs.  Please be very careful!  The person who mentioned that all the major systems were just devel.oping is correct.  It can be a major problem if damage occurs at this critical stage of developmemnt~!
Peace!
Suzie
Hot Baths can cause a miscarriage! Make that a "warm" bath ...
No matter what, we wouldn't want to live with that kind of guilt. Consult with the GYN on this .... baby comes first.
Please don't panic. If your wife is only taking 1 or 2 pills a day, IMHO if she discontinues it right now she'll have nothing to worry about.  To put her mind at ease, she should talk to her OB doctor.  When I was 3 months pregnant and pulled a shoulder muscle, my OB doctor prescribed Tylenol-3, which I took for about 2 weeks.  Its true the first trimester is very, very important, but if she's only taking a tablet or two a day I don't think she has endangered the fetus; but like I suggested, she should talk to her doctor.  Good luck, to you both.  Love, Lisabet
The baby will be born addicted and serious complications could result, tell the wife to stop right away!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please tell your wife to stop right away! The first 3 months of pregnancy is when all the babys systems are being developed. The baby could be born addicted, and if that happens, your state could end up taking your baby. For everyones sake, please try to quit yourself too. Read all the posts here, and ask for advice. There are a lot of helpful people here...you can do it!
I wouldn't be sorry that your post was so long, I would be sorry that your sentence will be so long the second time around! Hey, I'm no angel and don't have much room to talk about 2nd times, but your record is going to follow you around for the rest of your life. From job to job, relationship to relationship, how about your kids?, friends? family? and what will they think? Jail or prison isn't much fun. When the judge finds out you didn't learn your lesson the first time he's gonna thro the book at ya!!! Sorry, don't mean to preach but, I wish you'd stop and get some help for yourself. Detoxing in jail isn't gonna be much fun. Anyway you've pobably heard all this before!!! We do care about you here but you gotta want to help yourself first!!!I wish you the best...Love, hugs, friends..afriend...
I don't know if anyone out there will remember me. I stopped writing about a month ago. I was the one who's mom got me to help her get Vicodin by phoning in phony prescriptions. I too am addicted to Vicodin. Anyway.. update.
All those who told me that I was stupid for the script fraud, this one's for you...
On feb. 7, my mom and I phoned in a script for Vicodin to a small pharmacy in our area. We went in, and they said that it would be a little while to fill it. Like an idiot, I waited and waited, and waited. fourty-five mins later, a cop walks in. I am at the counter, and my mom came up and whispered, "it's the cops, let's go". I just stood there, frozen. The pharmacist looked at the cop, and then pointed at me and said "SHE is trying to pick up a phony prescription." I had a total I don't know what your talking about reaction, told the cop that my mom told me to go in for her. The cop was nice, and said okay, let's go talk to mom. I walked out with him to the parking lot, expecting to see my mom sitting in MY brand new car we were driving. We walked around the building four times. She had left me there. Another cop showed, and they surmised that since she had run, that she was the guilty one and I was the innocent patsy. They offered me a ride home to my mom's, so they could look for her. She was there, and came out and started arguing with the cops. She was saying that whatever I was doing in that Pharmacy was my business and she had nothing to do with it. They didn't believe her. I had thought I was off the hook,a dn was standing with my wonderful fiancee, when all of a sudden the cop put handcuffs on me, and said he was sorry but because of what she said, they would have to book me. They took her too. The cops were wonderful to me, I told them the whole story, admitting my guilt fully. Once I was in the booking area, (after huniliating prints and mug shots), I met a woman who was there for THE EXACT SAME THING- vicodin and all.Needless to say it was a humiliating night. They treated my mom worse than me, but the waiting was the worst. We were there for six hours, and then let go with a court date. And what was the first thing I wanted to do? Go back to the pharmacy parking lot where my mom had ditched our pills. It was the worst - I've never even had a speeding ticket, and here I was in jail. And you know what? We've done it six times since then. I have not learned my lesson at all. What will it take? My lawyer says that my sentance on March 3rd will be two days of community service and to write an essay, and the misdemeanor will be dropped from my record. I am never going to stop this. It's awful. The hold these little white pills have over my conscience. I don't know what to do.
Thanks for listening, sorry it's so long!
Thomas, Maybe you can give JennC a few words of wisdom. I'm not as articulate as you!!! Thanks ...afriend...
JAIL SUCKS, and prison sucks, and not getting a good job sucks, and don't know if you're fertile or not, but adoption won't ever be an option for you either with a record...(may not be thinking this now, but it's a harsh reality)

Just don't think you'll get away with this for long. I thought becuase I thought the drug laws were stupid, they didn't apply to me-wrong! If you're addicted, please find a legal way to support your habbit, this is just foolish...goodness go the OP route or something, but you're ruining your whole future. If you want help, it's out there. You can put these devils down, you can, you just have to have the desire and get a support system going.

Please think about the high cost of low living and the choice you have today, it may not be there tomorrow. We're here, and we understand. K.

Hi, I dont have any 'words of wisdom', just wabted to say thanks for sharing your dtory. It really made me think- I'm the same(not forging scripts but whatever)......sinking lower and lower.......its like waiting for something horrific to happen (maybe subconsciously hoping).
Best of luck to both of us.
Why on earth do you think you can just keep doing this?Do you want to go to jail?You were told before to get away from your mom!She is only using you for her meds.and you have got to look out for you!Like everyone told you in Jan.IT HAPPENED!So please seek help now.Your scooling is not going to help you from jail!If I remember right thats why you moved back in with your mom?Well get the hell out of there cause your going to end up in prison if you dont stop.Like Thomas said it sounds like your addicted to the thrill of the whole process of it!Seek help now you apparently want it or you wouldnt keep coming back here! So please listen to all these people !!   g.g.
Well, thank goodness Thomas provided his usual scrip of wisdom because there's little I can add barring a true, cautionary  tale & a few foot-notes.  

A fellow I know in his mid-40's has been addicted to Fiorinal/fiorcet for 20+ yrs.  He's a corp. vp in a major east coast city & married with 2 kids in college.  

He first started forging scrips about 15 yrs. ago & he got away with it for close to a decade. Unlike you, he got started on this when his doc tore off his scrip for F with a blank one underneath.  Mr. Resourceful had copies made, learned the appropriate nomenclature, etc. & rode that horse for close to 10 yrs. with not a slip.  This guy was no dummy & neither were the multitude of pharmacists he was dealing with.  Eventually & ever so ironically, a call was made to confirm a legit scrip & the whole scam started unravelling while he was naively waiting at the pharmacy.  And then the police stormed in & arrested him.  He got away with a 30 day stint in detox for dessert after a full course of humiliation.

Within a few yrs., he went back to the dangerous game you are playing.

About 6 mos. ago he got busted again only this time the DA is pressing felony charges, from fraud to...I can't remember them all.  And no deals on the table.  He's being tried in the city where he is a pillar of the community.  The DA is going for jail time due to the "enormity" of his fraud, etc. but now that he's quite sober - needless to say - we're hopeful that will bode well for him at sentencing.

There's no telling what the outcome of his trial will be but I know it's costed him a fortune in legal fees, caused him & his family terrible humiliation & being busted for this has not gone over terribly well in the corp. world either. And he hasn't been convicted yet!  

Thomas is so right.  You are going to get caught & Jenn, if you were traumatized by hrs. in jail, I can hardly imagine how you will feel facing trial.  Do you know how expensive that proposition is?  Once you have a record, your life takes a new road from which there is no returning.

I also want to say one more thing about your Mom.  Part of me is sick that she left you there & that she's using you to help "feed" her addiction but then again - she to is a very "sick" woman.  Sick with addiction, as are you.  But at least here you're in good company!  But I urge you to sit yerself down & give some very serious thought about how you & Mom might be "feeding" each other's habits in another way.  That being, talking each other into breaking the law, etc.  If I were you, I'd tell her in a calm voice that you love her very much but have realized you are seriously addicted to Vicodin & need to get some help & the counsellor you spoke to insisted you stay away - temporarily - from other users. Make sure you let her know you told this "counsellor" it wasn't Mom but a friend.  If she starts prying or wanting details, cut her off firmly but nicely by saying, "Mom, I CAN'T talk about this right now.  Please don't ask."  Then run or hang up (nicely)!  In other words, DO NOT ENGAGE! Maybe add that you need to work thru this yourself, that with her you get tempted to use because it reminds you of V. You could say you hope she also gets help but make sure she knows you are NOT rejecting her, just taking care of yourself.  Once again, you love her & you'll be in touch.

But beware. She's an addict & will likely try to resort to guilt among many other obscene behaviors to bring you back into the Vicodin fold.  If she calls you, be pleasant, make small talk, but nothing about how you are faring in your own drug war.  If she starts, say firmly. "I really don't want to talk about it Mom" & ask her how her garden grows or something! If she presses, end the conversation.  IMPORTANT:  She's going to do everything in her power to bring back her "drinking buddy" & you need to be ready for it. The second she starts the addict's manipulation dance, as to how much pain she's in, that she needs more, whatever, say.  "Mom, I can't help you with that & really must go now.  Take care." AND HANG UP!

At least in distancing yourself from her, YOU can deal with YOUR problem without the manipulative gyrations of another addict. It's tough because she's your Mom but Jenn, she's a grown woman who is cognizant of the dangers of this game you've been playing & she has - unwittingly - used you to facilitate her habit.  This is your life & you need to save it - quite literally.  If she gets pissed, she'll get over it.  Moms always do!

Get yourself involved with this fabulous group of people on this board.  You'll receve heaps of support, great advice & meet some amazing people.  You'll also read some amazing success stories which will make you realize you CAN beat this problem before it beats you.

All my best wishes are with you.  Good luck & keep us posted.

Dancing in the Dark
Jenn - I just knew when you disappeared off this board that you had gotten caught! You seemed to be reaching out and then just gone! The advice Thomas, g.g. and Dancing gave you I'm sure is echoed by every person in the forum. After getting busted and being so traumatized by a few hrs. in the slammer - they no sooner let you out and you and "mumsy" are back at it again - why did you come back to get our support/advice? Is it that you really do want to stop - because you ARE 1000% going to get caught again! Not only that, but you do realize that you are getting a slap on the wrist now and if you two are busted again in such a short time from the 1st bust, you'll make the DA look like an ass for giving in to such a light sentence. And honey, you don't want to be the recipient of making the district atty. look like an ass! You obviously want some kind of help or you wouldn't take so much time telling your story. You need to address the addiction and the addiction of "getting away"  with calling fake scripts. I hope there is someone where you live who is straight and supportive so you can get some help. I also would love to say "good luck" , but luck isn't part of it.
Jenn,

I remember when you were hear before reaching out. I am kind of happy that nothing really came of your getting caught. But I am also worried that it will make you think that you can get away with it again, OR get another slap on the wrist while maybe getting away with a few scripts.

One thing that I think was missed here was - DO NOT LET YOUR MOM HAVE A CRISIS AND TRY AND SUCK YOU IN. Like "I am out, withdrawaling so bad, it hurts so much, you have to help me. This will be the last time, I promise. I will taper with this last Rx. OR something of the sorts.
You are going to have to be prepared for that.

Thank your little ducklings you only got a slap on the wrist this last time.

Chezz

PS Another thing - what the **** is up with your MOM dragging you down with her. As far as the cops were concerned she was the perp, the one that ran. She could have very easily had said you just drove her there and had nothing to do with it. INSTEAD she drags your a$$ down with her...
Something to think about...
What a loving and caring mom.  I truly hope that someday, Jenn, you open your eyes and come to your senses before you ruin your life for good.
Misdemeanor?  You are lucky.  I hope you realize no one is judging you.  Everyone is just concerned.  Just so you know, if they wanted to, they could check each and every prescription you had filled in each and every pharmacy in the US.  Then, they could charge you for each fraudulant prescription....if they wanted to.  If you did it 100 times, that would be 100 counts against you.  Each jurisdiction would have their shot at you....for each town you had one filled in.  That could happen the next time.  That would equate to years in jail.  You were cut a major break.  You would do well to count your blessings and get out now.
I have no words of wisdom that will convince you to stop calling in scrips. All I can say is this: look at what your addiction has driven you and your mom to do. Look at just your mom's behavior. She sold you out in a heartbeat, ditched you at the scene of the crime. Whose idea was it to continue to call in scrips after your bust? Has anyone told you that this particular crime can be prosecuted as a misdemeanor or felony at the prosecutor's discretion? You're second bust almost certainly will be filed as a felony charge. Felony bail, felony court, felony sentence, felony record. And they don't expunge felony records. From the sound of it, neither you nor your mom will do well in jail. No one is prepared for what happens to them in jail, least of all the two of you. Save yourself. Get help for your addiction and let your mom do whatever she's going to do. She's using you through your addiction. Most parents would be horrified to see their child in jail. Your mom has stopped being a parent to be just another junkie.

Get help now for your addiction. Tell no one about those forged scrips. You will be caught again no matter how good you think you are. Pharmacists have several tools with which to catch you. The most effective one is their sense of voices, med office routines, memory of local doctor's personnel and prescribing habits, caller ID.

You may have to consider the possibility that you are addicted to more than just the Vics. You may be addicted to the whole experience: the planning, making the call, wondering if it worked or not, making the decision to drive to the pharmacy, the drive itself, walking in, looking into the faces for a sign that they're on to you, trying to act and talk casually while your insides churn with adrenalin, the moment of truth when you give the patient's name, the terrible interval while your fate unfolds, the sight of the bottle on the counter, the walk out, looking around again, your heart in your throat, just waiting for someone to grab you, the giddy exaltation when you realize you got away with it, that first dose mixed with a sense of omnipotence and power, the need to do it again, and so on until you experience the horror of cold turkey withdrawal in a jail cell. (How's that for a long sentence?) The whole experience is a continuum of self-destruction. Write me privately if you like at ***@****. I won't wish you luck because luck has nothing to do with it. Rather, I wish you one of those "moments of clarity." You're eventually going to have one. It's up to you where you have it.

Thomas
This is something I wrote a few months back while in the throws of withdrawal. I thought I would share this with all of you once again, especially OBob since you have just ogne through where we have all been, or will eventually be...    CHEZZZZZZ

I am scared. I am lonely. I am an addict.

For as long as I can remember I have been hiding behind some sort of
God - what a wonderful post. I've printed it out with the intention of reading it every morning to start my day. Thanks so much for sharing. Love, Lisabet
Thanks for saring that!It hits home!Dito to what lisabet said!      g.g.
chezz,
wonderful! really made my day thank you.

jenn
i haven't posted in a bout a month but wanted to tellyou my story.

i was seeing a pain spec.for degenerative disc disease. was on oc's and vics. came up with the idea of making my own prescriptions. for months and months i filled schedule 2 narcs with no problems/ one day a pharmacist looked at my script funny, so i left and said i'd be back to pick it up. i never picked it up because i knew better. two days later i got a call from a detective. told me i had to come in to see him. They had done a pharmacy search for the last year and found out about all the scripts i had wrote. you are lucky to get a misdemenor. i had 15 felony counts which where dropped to 1 felony conunt. i am on a two year deffered sentence. i have to have a probation officer, take random test pay over $2500 in fines do 60 hours community service. all for a high. it's NOT worth it. i have not done it since and wont. it's not even a thought . i know the rush you experience getting away with it. there are other ways to get rushes. be careful. my thoughts are with you.

be safe
linda
Glad to hear you ladies enjoyed and got something from it. I wrote it during a very hard period of withdrawals. It just came out. I don't edit or change anything when I am in that "mode". I can't turn it on, or turn it off when I am in that "zone".
It is really weird how withdrawals can affect you. For me, writing is my outlet during that time.
I felt it was somethihgn that some of the new people that are going throuogh these times now might get something from it. That is why I reposted it.
Glad you did...
Chezz
Your prose was poetry in the purest form - written during true "angst", and yet the glimmer of hope comes through.  What I like to think we all are about.  "Thru the darkest clouds, the sun shines through..."  I loved it, Lisabet
Nice re-post, Thanks again for the inspiration. I know exactly how you feel/felt when writing that.Day 6 Cold T for us. feeling better to say the least. My drinking is still about normal (for me) Thinking of quitting smoking next week or do you think it may be too soon to takle that, so close to my Opiate detox? Opinions anyone? Taper method or Cold Turkey? Should I wait another week for that vice? I sure better keep myself busy when I do Its such a oral fixation for me.

Peace Love
Ob Bob

Thanks for the inspiring post.
I usually write very depressing and slightly morbid things while withdrawing.
To Everyone Here,

This is my first post and may be my last, but I was hoping you may shed some light on this whole thing.
  I use Hydrocodone medically, as prescribed. I suffer horrific pain during my menstrual cycle and I also hurt my back ( permanent damage, they say), but the thing is, even when I was on Hydrocodone everyday I never felt that I needed more than my recommended dose,nor do I feel I need to take them longer than the pain.My recommended dose was like 750 mg a day I think and that nearly zonked me.
  For about 6 months now,my Gyn will only give me Ultram ( which does not take care of this pain).My medicine of choice for pain is Hydrocodone. I can't take many other things because I had an ulcer.
  With this many people, having so much problem with addiction, where does it leave a person that knows what they need and use it responsibly?
  I am taking Ultram, which is such a scary drug ( seizure risk, etc) and I can't get what I choose for the pain. I am talking about 5 tablets maybe on a monthly basis.
  Where does it leave us? does anyone have an educated answer for pain relief simlar to the effects of Hydrocodone?
I agree it bites when a dcotor decides to stop giving you what works and gives you something else because they are worried about addcition, but he is doing what he thinks is best. He is right in the sense that he should worry about addcition. But it isnt fair when you know it is what works. Ultram on the other hand has even worse withdrawls for some people, depression ect. So be very careful with it, it doesnt even take a long term usage for this to happen. What did your doctor say when he took you off hydro?
Doctors are a dime a dozen...try another one or go back to your doctor and told him you tried it and it didnt work..
Hi, new to the forum, and unfortunately have to much experience with Vicodin/VicoProfen to not comment, and ask for help myself. For Confused, You certainly have a right to a pain free life, and should have no problems getting 2-4 Vicodin ES 750's a day, let alone 6 or so a month. I also have back problems, 2 bad discs, and was on 10 ES's a day. After addmitance to my primary DR. that I thought I was taking far to much Vicodin, and wanted to back off, he worked with me on my own plan of action, and over a six month period I was down to one per day. I was then refered to a pain management clinic, and have tried various pain meds, including Tylenol 4's, and MS-Contin. I sense a pattern here that scares me, even though you say you have taken the drug responisbly I would take a real hard look at myself, and see if you are on the fringes of addiction. I am not saying you are addicted or ever will be, but this Hydrocodone is so addictive, you will not know what hit you. MS-Contin is a time release Morphine, and is much less addictive, If you have an inkling that you may have problems with addictive drugs, I would go the MS-Contin route. If you truely don't have an addictive personality, ie. cigarettes, daily beers/alcaholic drinks, etc. Then search out an understanding Physician, or possibly a pain managment clinic if all else fails. The fact that you require Vicodin, and didn't ask about allternatives has my bells and whistles going off, make sure you know what you are doing! Take care and be safe, as I am in a living hell right now with the dreaded drug Vicodin, may have to go on Methadone, or hopefully come clean again with my physician, and work my way back down, for the THIRD TIME!!! I wish you a pain free life, but be carefull what you take, and also stay away form OXY-Contin which is in all the papers as another extremely addictive drug. Be Well   Tom
Hi again, seems as though I may have jumped the gun on confused's question and I apologize for this. I am just concerned about the possible abuse potential of Hydrocodone, and don't want any of the newbies to this drug falling into the pattern many of us have succumbed too. Those who can get high on a drug, and then put it down, I applaud you. I wish I were so lucky. Everything in my life is always at the extremes, never a middle ground. My habit started with one 30 Vicodin Perscription, then another, then another, all for different reasons, and none of them did I request! The third time was the charm, and I knew fully what I was getting myself in for, but steamed ahead anyway. I figured I could beat the drug when the time came, and I have to a certain dergree, but not entirely! I am sitting here waiting till the last possible moment I can stand the withdrawls when I will take 3-4 ES's for my escape from this painfull, feeling like your going to die syndrome. Well, Confused, If you still want this drug after reading the posts on this board, you should certainly be allowed to take your choice of pain meds. You know what works best for you, and I do agree Hydrocodone is an excellent pain releiver when in the hands of someone other than ME! :)
     I am having withdrawls like never before. I started combining Codeine #4's four a day with two a day of Vicodin. I started to become ill about two months ago, and figured it may be the Codiene as I wasn't taking but two Vicodins a day for months with no problem. I stopped taking the Codeine, and was soon worse than I had been. I am now taking the Vicodin at 6-9 a day. I fell into this on accident. I requested the Codeine because I did not want to take more than two Vicodins a day, now I am in physical pain like never before, and am forced to take more Vicodin. Does anyone know if withdrawls from Codeine are worse than Vicodin? I will get into detail about my dilemma in a future self help post. I am ready to get off this stuff for good, and hope I can glean some info from my fellow Drug Abusers. :)  Take care confused, and explain the situation to your DR. He/She should be willing to give you 5 a month of Hydros for pain management. If not go somewhere else. The Government is really cracking down on this Vicodin epidemic. This may be the reason she is reluctant to give you even a small supply. The manufacture states that Vicodin is not to be taken for longer than 2 weeks because of it's addictive qualities. A freind of mine is an Eye, Ear, Nose, and thoat Surgeon, he warned me about Hydrocodone, and he won't prescribe it period, so it may be with your physician. You may have to seek this drug out elsewhere. Be well   Tom
When you feel yourself drifting into that "Rx call in" state of mind, write out everything you're thinking and feeling to us here at the forum. You may not get an instant reply, but just writing it out may help you stay off the phone.

Thomas
I messed up my e'mails ***@****..      Jerri
Its good to hear from you sweetie!If you get to feeling too bad and feel you need to talk you can go to a health clinic they go on a sliding scale basis!But you can also talk to us.Sometimes I know we need one on one though.Theres always help out there you just have to look.I talked with you when you were posting before I was J.E.W. Then.If you want you can e'mail me at ***@**** have got to get out of this situation. i'm sooooooooooo sorry that your mother treats you like this.That is so sad.Shes supposed to help and protect you not get you into trouble.Please feel free to e'mail me at anytime,I work different hours all the time but will respond as soon as I can.Take care sweetie and let us know how it goes at court.((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))  Jerri
Hey, guys. Thank you soo much for your words. It is so nice to hear. You are all absolutely right. I wish I could get away from my mom right now, but I am stuck here untill April 18. My arraingment is Monday. The information attorney was the one who told me what my sentance would be. But, who knows? The DA could have run a check on the pharmacies, the doctor who's DEA number we used could want to prosecute. I wish I could stop, but it's so much bigger than me. On thursday I went all day and night without any Vicoden, 24 hours. I didn't have any physical w/ds, only nasty psychological ones. That's the worst. I figured out from Thomas's message that I am addicted to the whole process. It's amazing, I've never been in trouble or done anything wrong, and damn it it just feels good. But I'm more scared of getting caught than anything, especially since it could happen at any time. And they probably won't book and release me this time either, I might even have to spend a night in jail! I'm scared, guys, all the time. I want to stop, but I don't want to. Sometimes I just want to die, but there's so much to live for. I know that if I got caught again, and had to do jail time, years worth, I would kill myself. That's horribly personal, I know. But it's true. Then why the hell am I ensuring this fate for myself? I think, I know, I need to see a counselor for this, but I can't afford one, and my health insurance for my new job won't kick in for three months. I am very lost right now. I know it must be frustrating for you guys to hear me saying I want to stop, but then I keep doing it. But honestly, please don't give up on me. This is a huge step for me, this sharing. I need it, and I need time. Thanks for listening.
This is from a diff't thread, but I want you to read it for sure....

I have just started Revia after throwing in the towel by trying to do it myself, on will power alone.  

I believe it to be the silliest and stupidest thing to NOT do after an Ultra Rapid Opiate Detox.  Only now, since I started Revia TODAY, have I learned what it in fact is and the chemical effects and counter-effects on the brain after long-term opiate use.  I underwent Ultra Rapid Opiate Detox on 4/20/02, but began to struggle with relapse approximately 6-7 months later.  Prior to detox, I was at approximately 600 mg/day of Oxycontin, prescribed by my Doctor and paid for by Workers Compensation Insurance.  My spine had some minor injuries that were horrifically magnified because I began to self-administer Opium by smoking it to reduce my pain levels.  At the age of 25, my ignorance prevented me from seeing the slippery slope I had just embarked on, and the cost was not an obstacle. (Ironically, the cost was not a problem because I had been working so hard, which is why my spine was injured...The Irony of Life)

The chemical manipulation ones brain undergoes while under heavy opiate use is quite significant.  For Revia to be able to rapidly return the brain to its original "pre-addicted" stage is VERY important for the individual that has no physical craving for the drug at all to KNOW.  In this case, it is purely physiological.  

To throw the term "psychological" around without really thinking about the manipulation ones brain undergoes after being administered 400-600 mg/day of Oxycontin as a substitute for the self-administer of Opiate analgesia resulting from trauma to the spine, creates a sense of naivety about the treatment course and education required for those that are physically dependant due to injury, and not psychologically dependant due to drug abuse.  There is an important distinction to make, if only because the former may believe himself to have a strong will and believes, ignorantly, that they can prevent a relapse on their own.  

Until the chemistry in the brain is changed back to the way it was, the physically dependant will struggle with possible relapse as does the psychological addict, but they are not one and the same in structure, but surely both are just as important.  Unfortunately, the psychological addict will have a longer struggle.  

But it is the duty of the medical profession to make this distinction and educate their patients when appropriate, for this tiny bit of logical education about the effects naltrexone has on reducing the number of opiate receptors in the brain, can be the difference between life and death for many.

I Thank God for granting me the wisdom to see the ignorance in my ways, and allowing me to return to my true path in life.  Not just once, but whenever I have asked.  

PH
28

I TOOK ALMOST 20 VICODAN ES FROM SAT-TUES. I HAVE A DRUG TEST COMING UP FRIDAY FOR A NEW JOB, HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET THIS DRUG OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM?
Ive been told at least 72 hrs.         Jerri
THANKS!
Hello i am new to this site. I just got off of hydrocodone and i have been having bad stomach cramps and fever is this normal for withdraw
unfortunately, yes. Tell us more. How much were you using? How long? Any other drugs? Did you stop aburptly or taper? How many days since you last took any hydrocodone?

Thomas
Hey dude-you - I have a question I'd like to ask you off the board. Could you e-mail me @ ***@****????
Thanks, sweetie - Lisabet
I was addicted to hydrocodone 10mg (30-40 a day) for 2 years after a major shoulder injury/surgery. I was doctor shopping (going to multiple doc's to get scripts) and finally got caught because that is illegal in the state I live in. I lost a beloved career over this addiction and was clean for a little over 2 years. About 5 months ago, I started using again and am so angry at myself, it is unbelievable. I am mentally ready to quit because my personal and work relationships are suffering because of the abuse. I feel awful and tired all the time and worrying about getting my next supply is just too stressful. The first time I detoxed in a hospital for 4 days, which was worthless. I should have stayed for 30 days at least. It took my body 4 months to fully recover from taking so much for so long. I have decided to taper this time. Has anyone ever successfully tapered, and if so, how should I start? I am so scared of the withdrawals, but am not willing to lose everything in my life over this stupid god damn addiction. The first time, I did not want to stop using, so I couldnt taper, it just never worked. Now I am ready mentally, and want to do this the least painful way I know how. Any suggestions? Plz help. My email is ***@****. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
brat - welcome to the forum; you've came to the right place to get good advice.  You didn't mention how many hydros you are taking now, just how many you took before. Could you let us know approximately how many you're taking now? This would help someone here to advise you on how to taper.  There's others on the board more knowledgeable than myself, but I too have tapered from hydros, from a 12 per day habit down to 4 at the present.  Good luck on your decision to try to get clean. That's a BIG first step.  Love, Lisabet
Lisabet....thanks so much for writing. I am taking approximately 30 a day. I know, that sounds horrific and it is. I started to taper today and felt great until a major stress factor happened and I went back to my normal amount. I forgave myself and am going to taper again. Can we talk through email? My addy is ***@****. I really need support right now if I am going to do this. I would love to tell you my whole story on how I got addicted in the first place, what happened, because it is amazing and unbelievable. Thanks for writing and I would love to hear from you via email so I could tell you a little more. Thanks so much!!

G
Hi G - my e-mail address is ***@****.  Would be glad to talk to you one-on-one and give you as much support as I can.  I'm at work right now - will try to check back with you later this afternoon.  Also, one hint - Post on a top thread so more people will read your posts.  It's OK to break one even if it doesn't pertain to your topic.  We all do it all the time.  The more support you get the better.  Love, Lisabet
HI I am a new user to this MSG bord. I just wanted to drop a line to say I have been using Vicodin for about 1 yr off and on. I was useing 5mg 7.5mg and Norco's ( 10mg vicodin ) up to 10 pills a day. I have just decided to quit for good and today is the frist day. I have recently moved back home with my parents and I am going to try to get off this ****. I have fully stoped useing before and I know what is in store for myself. Yeh 4 to 5 day of dieing pains and no sleep at all. If I can get through the first 2 nights then from there on I will be fine. I was just wondering If anyone had good Ideas to keep me sane and my feet on the ground I have been leading up to this day for awhile now. So I have been taking Centrum 1 a day 50+ taking two a day for the last week. Recomended by a friend. So if you have anything that I ccan do to lessan the pain let me know. The way I look at it is > IT COULD BE A LOT Worst I could be comming down from OXCYS