Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Hydrocodone withdrawl(withdrawal)

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hydrocodone withdrawl(withdrawal)

I want to withdraw from Hydrocodone. I've been on pain meds steadily for 2 years. A year and a half ago, I came off cold turkey from Percocet which I had been using for 6 weeks. It was the worst experience of my life.  Physical symptoms were horrible, but the depression was worst.  I have always struggled with depression and take effexor. I have used the drugs to self-medicate. Lately i've been taking Vicodin ES.  It no longer gives me that HAPPY feeling just keeps me going.  I am a married mother of two school age children.  Is there an alternative to  a detox center?  I still have the viocdin, could I gradually wean off of them if I enlisted some outside help.  I would rather die than face that debilitating depression again. My husband is aware of my problem and has been supportive. What about Clonodine; i've heard things about the patch.  Last time I withdrew I was up and around again on the fourth day.  I know that wouldn't be the case this time.  I know that I will need help to stay clean, but for now, I'm simply worried about the withdrawl (withdrawal) and my children.  Please help if you can.
Thank you.
It's possible but realistically probably unlikely that you'll be able to wean yourself off the Hydrocodone by tapering. That kind of will power is just not common in addiction.

A better option would  be to try to taper to as low a dose of hydrocodone as you can over a week's time, then quit entirely with the aid of clonodine or even better, buprenex. A doctor can prescribe buprenex, and it will enable you to withdraw almost completely painlessly.
Pancake:
welcome to the forum! there is always room for one more addict, so come on in out ot the cold!

to start with don't start making assumptions about what your withdrawl (withdrawal) will be like. you'll find out soon enough. second yes clonidine can help, especially in the patch form. there are a number of other meds your doc can give you. klonipin (klonopin) for panic attacks (these are a hallmark of any opiate withdrawl (withdrawal) i've ever been thru). also valium for sleep, and a muscle relaxer.

i'm sure someone will post Thomas's detox. i'm not sure of the easy board site address though. among a lot of good comon sense advice, a regiment of vitamens and an amino acid called L-ty- rosine. This vitamen/amino acid stuff really has worked wonders for me. just remember opiate withdrawl (withdrawal) might make you wish you were dead, but it won't kill you!

hey eveyone else:
day 3 no oxy. i feel retty good except for this horriable feeling
of restlesness. i was actually able to go out to breakfast with
my wife this morning!

in the 7 months i've been coming to this cyber place i can not
describe how much beter my life has become. the board adminis-
trator, "Cindy & Phil" desereve a good deal of this gratitude.
see i don't want to be just another junky that shootsup, burnsup,
and generally wreaks a wide swath of destuction in my path. i'll
probably be on oxycontin for some time, (or so my doctor says) i
guess more than anything this forum has let me find out that one
can live a productive life, while taking opiate pain meds. these
little vacations from dope i take serve several purposes, one of
which is for me to find out the level of pain i'm going to have
to live with without my oxycontin!

anyhow keep an angel on your shoulder
kip
Just admitting that the hyrdocodone only makes you feel normal now and taking the first steps in wanting to wean off and eventually stop is A HUGE FIRST STEP. Give yourself alot of credit for acknowledging and realizing that. If you need mre help and feeling anxious than please get in touch with an addictionist doctor. If you live on the East Coast, check out www.doctordeluca.com  He has a listing of doctors who specialize in outpatient detox. Last Spring Doctor Deluca helped me wean off a major percocet habit, weaning me off with Darvocet to stifle the Opiate withdrawl (withdrawal), Clonidine to help with withdrawl (withdrawal) pains and Valium for the Anxiety and restlessness. You can do this at your pace. I was fine until tearing my knee up in September and going through Reconstructive Knee Surgery. As you can imagine, I had no problem asking my docs for Oxycontin and Percocet. The good news is that, like you, I realized it was controlling my life again and getting pretty ugly. I haven't used since 1/18 and still hurt a little but I AM GETTING BETTER. I picked up some LYOSINE 500 mg. They are Amino Acids that restore you and help regain some of the brain chemistry that dimmed when we were medicating. I still take an Ambien at nite for sleep and an occasional Ativan for the Anxiety. For all the resources and wisdom I used to get the drugs, the trick now is to remember THIS PAIN OF WITHRDRAWL and stay clean at all costs. I rationalized my drug use for 25 years(I'm 41) and I truly want to stop beating the **** out of myself. If I can beat this Oxycontin addiction than you can sure kick the Vicodin. Don't ever be afraid to reach out and ask for help. It's heartwarming when you find out just how many people will basically come out of the woodwork to help you. You just got to want it. The best of luck to you.YOU CAN DO IT!!!!  Tommy
sWEET PERSON, i AM GLAD YOU ARE FHERE. yOU ALREADY MADE ONE OF THE DECISIONS AND THAT IS THAT YOU ARE AWARE YOU NEED TO DETOX. iT TAKES COURAGE ANS STRENGHTH AND YOU MY DEAR, HAVE IT. i WOULD LIKE TO OFFER YOU SOME MORE SUGGESTIONS THAT MADE ME FIVE DAY DETOX A BREEZE. iT WILL TAKE A DOC. WHO REALLY UDERSTANS ADDICTION AND SOMEONE TO GUIDE YOU IN THE VITAMIN DEPARTMENT. i STARTED WITH THE "RECIPE" BUT CONTINUED ON THAT AFTER THE FIVE DAYS WERE UP. i AM STILL TAKING VALIUM AND TRAZADONE AT NIGHT, BUT DON'T SLEEP. i just talk on the phone or read, or listen to my music. Also, Don't beat yourself up. No need. It takes what it takes to be in that mind set to prepare for that not so frightening day. Please,pleas e-mail me at: ***@**** and I will respond. You take caqre and get as many questions answeres before you rush into it. I DON'T KNOW YOU, BUT i FEEL LIKE I DO.  loVE ANS pEACE rOSE1
In addition to all of this great advice, I worked at an herb store for a while. Chamomile tea is a natural muscle relaxant and it is good to get direct sunlight if you can. The sunshine stimulates a gland that will produce a good neurotransmitter. Hot baths and showers helped me too! Do hang in as long as you can and know that you are not alone my friend.
Hi everyone, it is past midnite, and though I have taken everything I could think of, being in day two of Vicoprofen withdrawals, sleep is not coming.

I am wondering.  Ihave been on about 50mg a day of hydrocodone products, Norco, vicodin, vicoprofen, for over 3 years.  I still have the pain problem, but want a new way of living.
Question:  How long does this misery last?

I can be reached at ***@**** if anyone wants to offer additional advise.

Peace be with all of you.
I think that everyone who has come to this board has asked that same question...how long does this misery last? This indicates that we want so desperately to be normal again. Some of us don't even know what "normal" is anymore; we just want to feel good for a change. That want can also be the start of ever more relapses and I speak from personal experience here.

Be very careful and patient during the first few weeks. For me, 90 days is the turning point. However, don't fool yourself into thinking you will ever be immune from the call of the drug.

Best of luck to you!

J.B.

Thanks so much everyone who responded to me. Especially Rose1
i cant remember the last time i felt "sweet." I've gotten so used to not being honest with myself or others that my first inclination here is to evade the truth. This is very hard but the truth is, as addicted as i know i am i still am desperate to use to avoid the withdrawl (withdrawal). No, really thats not the truth either, i want to be high or normal,however you want to look at it. I guess i dont want to say everything, cause i dont know maybe i could get arrested or something.  But the fact is I AM GOING TO USE. I'm telling myself I'm going to wean, but really who am i trying to kid? But the fact is my earliest opportunity to abuse myself is tomorrow and even that is not for certain. So mean-time i'm starting to feel pretty yucky. The last time i used was yesterday AM: One Vicodin ES; usually I would take 2 about 4 or 5 times a day, that was the end of the bottle. Im starting the sweats, but mostly I just feel totally unmotivated and depressed.  I'm college educated and most would say i've got a great life, but still i'm stupid enough to keep doing this to myself. No one I know does drugs and the friends I have would be shocked to know the truth about me.  Maybe this isn't the forum for me since i'm obviously not "in recovery." I wouldn't want to adversely effect anyone else. This is just a very lonely business. Thanx for listening.
read this forum as often as you can because some day when your life isn't going so well you'll wake up and see its the drug that compromised you, then you'll have to detox....maybe again and again til you're clean and thinking straight.  Good luck hjp
I think you are in the right place here. No one is going to flame you for your blunt honesty.  Most of us are or have been in the same boat. The reason I have abused drugs was to get high, plain and simple. But it's a part of my life that I can really do without...addiction that is. Something, somewhere, somehow is going to usher you into a state of recovery and I hope it's gentle with you.  You will get there someday!

J.B.
Just wanted to say thanks for your honesty. I will keep tuning in. I guess its a good sign that i feel drawn to the computer since i found this forum. You're always on my mind. To tell you the truth i'm pretty new to this computer thing. I know how to turn it on, get my e-mail and do a search. My husband dragged me kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Any way, today I have taken 4 50mg of ULTRAM.  Its helping with the withdrawls. It does not seem to give me any high which is a good thing. Gotta go get the kids. Thanks again.
I was so pleased to hear from you. You are sweet. All druggies are sweet. The drugs have just masked our "true self" for so many years.I detoxed, medically last February 4,2001 after 26 years of darkness. When I hurt my back and spine i felt it was a test. Maybe it was, regardless, it happened and I felt frustrated because of the drugs I had to take to maintain my productivity at work. It took over my life, but in a"quiet"sort of way. Heroin is so obvious, but the pill adiction (addiction), although have very similar symtoms (symptoms), I was able to hide it better. It was something I never dreamed could be as painful and lonely as "H".
Please consider me you friend. I'm always here and struugle daily. I've only been detoxed off the vicodans,and oxy's. I'm still taking the methdadone and valium and Trazadone at night. I don't think I'll ever feel normal, whatever that is. I do believe in God and his words and there are times when he is the only comfort I can find. I'm no holy roller but feel people like us, need something bigger to believe in, other than where we are going to find thr nrext pill or fix. My e-mail ***@**** write it down, use it. I'll help you as much as I can. You are a great person. Anytime... Karen aka Rose1
Hang in there man. Today is my 11th day off Oxycontins and Percocets. I had major reconstructive knee surgery last September and just stopped the pills 1/18. Just be careful with Ultram and Ultracet. The doctors are saying their non-addictive, but if you read alot of the posts in this forum, it's just as addictive. Whatever gets you through the major withdrawls initially, God Bless You. I can relate to you with the kids. I have a 5 year old and 18 month old. Both girls. As I was withdrawing, I keep hearing Barney and Elmo over and over in my head. I feel I am getting much closer to my family since the fog has lifted. It does get better  every day. There is alot of support,compassion and wisdom on this board. Hang in there!! Tommy
Ok, I'm totally new, but have really enjoyed reading all the comments and helpful information.  I'm not sure if I'm the right place, but I have been tacking hydrocodone for years for chronic headaches... I did the route of several doctors who were not much help, then a RUDE neurologist who thought I was just searching for drugs.. I got the point where only vicodin worked, then switched to Norco (less tylenol). And before that I had trigger/novocaine I think shots in my occipital muscles in the base of my neck.  Anyway, I'm not taking several Norco's every day.  And I'm worried about my dependence.  Once a month (week after my menstrual cycle) I always get the extremely brutal headache that even a few Norco won't help! I wake up every day with one... Can't remember when I haven't had one.  
But I have noticed if I go too long (w/o a Norco), my body totally is needing it...I get anxious, a little sweaty, etc..
Should I be concerned?  Ultram just tore my stomach up...
My doc just gave me a few Percoset to try....  I just feel like such an addict.... But I still have this pain and they can't fine anything else that works..  At one point, I was ready to go sit in my running car (w/ garage door closed of course), because I just couldn't takke the pain anymore... But now I'm worried that I'm so dependent and my body is needing these drugs.

What do I do? Accupuncture, chiropractor, physical therapy.....
I can't find relief without narcotics... and now I'm just a big narcotic addict.

Well, thanks for listening.. This is embarrassing.... Do I have to go back to the intolerable pain so I'm not stuck dependent on these drugs?   Thank you!!
Alexa
Hi there... I am on day 5 and feel better today.  I have abused hydrocodone and oxycodone on and off for 8 years, with many drug free periods.  My biggest problem is this God awful depression i get, but i always remember after 2 weeks, I always start to feel much better.
I don't like the sound of your story alexa....if you are taking several norco daily, you're addicted, and it's a tough battle to get off the stuff.  I'm afraid sooner or later you're going to have to detox cause ten a day may be working for you now but it won't be long til you're up to 20,22,25,30.........  you might ask your doctor to send you to a medical center that is also a teaching center for your headache, they will have the most current techniques and medications for treating your headaches.
good luck alexa,   hjp
Hi Alexa,
One thing that might be going of for you is "rebound headaches".
When I took narocitics on a regular basis for back pain, I had constant headaches. I never understood the headaches, since narcotics are supposed to help with pain. But I learned from my doctor that narcotics can and do actually *cause* headaches. As it wears out of your system, you actually get headaches from it leaving your system.

The only way out of the cycle is to stop the narcotic and let your body adjust to being without them. Narcotics are usually not the first line med to give for headaches, as they don't help with the vascular kind, and are not the best way to treat a tension headache.  My Doc at one point gave me nortriptaline, and then later elavil for headaches. They did help some, but made me way too tired.  Eventually I hit upon a nonnarcotic med called maxalt, similar to imitrex, that works very well on my headaches...stops them within 15 minutes. My Doc says it is safe and will not cause rebound headaches.

I recently found out that the intense migraines I tend to get are due to estrogen withdrawal, when I take my week off of the birth control pill.  All this time, I had no idea that was what caused the incapitating migraines! So now I"m on a different pill that is supposed to stop that fast estrogen crash.

Just wanted to let you know though that chronic use of narcotics can actually cause headaches to get worse. Sorry for the bad news! And I do hope you find something to relief the chronic pain. I know all about the hell of chronic pain...am still dealing with chronic back pain, one day at a time, still narcotic free.

love,
WW
could someone please post thomas' detox recipe.  this is day one any advice would be helpful.
I came upon this cite this morning as I sit here waiting for a call from my doctor about refilling a vicoprofen prescription.  I've never done anything like this before (a bulletin board).  But I too want to get off this stuff but seem incapable.  I have a job I love but that is very stressful.  I get up at 4:45 am to work out of my home so that when I pick my daughter up from preschool at noon, I can have the day with her, unencumbered my other things (mainly my job).  She is 4 and the joy of my life.  Her father takes her to her preschool.  I am currently taking about 4-5 per day for migraines; it really helps, but I also recognize that I am taking it now because I need it to exist well.  I, like others, have taken Ultram.  It certainly will keep the withdrawal symptoms of hydrocodone away, but only causes its own.  I am just curious for any responses; I want to quit this, but I know if my doctor calls back and I have a prescription, I'll be at the pharmacy within 30 minutes...  I guess this is a cry for help, so Help!
I wanted to be sure to give you the receipe as I have translated from Thomas's. The real deal can be found at http://pub37.ezboard.com/bthenewaddictionmedicineforum.  Anway this is what I am taking for oxycontin withdrawal.  First thing in the morning I take 100mg. of B complex, 4,000mg.L-Tyrosine,2,000mg.vitamin C, a multvitamin, and I'm trying SAMe three times a day. IT is strongly recommended in the receipe to take a benzo such as valium,ativan, zanax, to get the through the first four days. i don't have benzo's so I can't do that I am also lucky that I can sleep. Sleep is often impossible so the more you can knock yourself out(safely) the better.  I have added the large dose of Vitamin C which i think is helping me to detox faster.  5HTP is also being used for depression and anti anxiety. In the past I have found Darvacet N100 helpful for short term withdrawal assistance.  I thought about Ultram but got way to scared after reading this board and seeing addiction potential.  The big thing I am trying to do is not to panic but to try and stay above it mentally. My worst day was the second day and I have felt better since, I still have a ways to go but I am determined.  Thomas does a much better job explaining the receipe so do check out the other board for it, once you get on at the bottom of the page you can follow directions to go right there.  Best of luck to you in this brave struggle.  telby
I went back to check the receip as I don't want to mis translate the important stuff that Thomas includes.  He suggests Vitamin B6 (100mg.x2) and stresses that people who are taking a SSRI anideperessent such as Prozac,Effexor, Paxil should not follow this receipe. The SSRI's already increase brain chemistry and the added amino acids could be too much.  He also suggests that for diahreha (spelled wrong) the only thing that works is Imodium (immodium) so stock up on that.  IT is also suggested to include magnesium and zinc, I found a mag/zinc/calcium all in one that I take along with the other stuff. The metals can be dangerous in high doses so I only take one as it is also found in my multivitamin.  I am recommending the large dose of Vitamin C since it is the only thing i have changed recently and I have had a noticalbly less intense withdrawal. Nothing makes it painless, pay now or pay later.  The big thing is how you approach it mentally, if your scared and freak out as soon as you get sick it's got you.  again, good luck  telby
I'm obsessing today.....so here's one more question that has been on my mind a lot lately. What are the symptoms of liver problems from too much aceteminophen?  I drink much more than i should along with the addiction to narcotics. I find abstaining from alcohol much easier than going without the narcotics, but still, my drinking is a problem for me.  When I'm using, i'm drinking, bottom line. You needn't remind me of how dangerous this is, i know. Also, one more question if i may.  Is it dangerous to take ULTRAM when taking EFFEXOR; it seems to me i read that somewhere.  Thanx, P.
I started taking Vicodin ES 7.5 750mg two years ago while in the hospital for pancreatits.  I needed the medicine for 7 months.  When I tried to stop taking it...the withdrawals were too much to handle.  I couldn't funtion.  So I found a way to get them whenever I needed them.  How I am getting them is not important.  What is important is that it will land me in jail if ever caught.  I don't want to get caught but I do want to stop NOW.  I tried talking to the doctor that started me on the medicine.  He gave me some clondine (not sure how to spell it) but it didn't help with the severe withdrawls.  How do I find a detox in Houston where I can try and do this out patient?  I have a job and going into a detox for 2 weeks isn't an option.  However, if that is what it is going to take then I will resort to it.  I think with the support of meetings and a medical doctor watching over me daily...I can do it.  I know I need to and I know I want to.  Please someone...Help me so I can help others.  Tell me what my resources are in my city.  I would like to take some medication that will help keep me as comfortable as possible.  I need to sleep at night and funtion at work Monday thru Friday.  If anyone has done this successfully then please respond to my message.  I will be checking it daily.  If you are reading this message then you must be on this website and if your on this website then you must be addicted or know someone that is.  Let's help each other.  It is not our faults but it is our problem.  Let's do it together.  Thank you and god bless.

Dman
Dman:
my imagination runs wild at the thought of supplying oneself with
the poision of our choice. see i used to break into drug stores and doctors offices. i cleaned up my hand and went straight for 17 years. about the time my life looked pretty good, an old injury to my neck came back to haunt me with a vengence. now 2 cervical spine surgerys later the pain doctor tells me my pain is intractable. so i take 40mg. of oxycontin 3 times a day. if now could have been 25 years ago, i'ld be pleased as a pig in the poke. dope just isn't the fun it used to be!

with the exception of the federal narcotics hospital in Houston,
i'm not familure with detox/treatment in your area.

have you given any thought to thomas detox recipe? you will find
the details above in the post from Telby. I periodicaly detox my
self. i like to think of this as a "vacation" from drugs. i won't
go into the reasions i do this, but i do know the detox recipe from Thomas really does work well for me.

anyhow, welcome to the forum. there is always room for one more
addict in here, so come in out of the cold and keep posting!

keep an angel on your shoulder
kip

as kip points out- thomas recipe (telby earlier posted the info and thread) really can and does make a difference in detoxing - i additionally suggest the usage of 5htp for the postdetox depression that for many is inevitable-
and if you can find buprenex- however you locate it- it can honestly make initial w/ds almost painless- as long as you are cognizent that it too is addictive and should only be used for a week or so at most- and then get off of them before you create another problem
I'm new and not addicted to Hydrocodon but I'm recently married and I have strong suspicion that my  husband is addicted or on the road to addiction.  I apologize if this is not appropriate site for me since it is my spouse and not me but after hours on the internet, this seemed to be the best place for info.

I have found several prescriptions for hydrocodone, vicoprofen and tylox which were ordered off the internet.  On 12/18 he ordered 90 hydro - there were 5 left.  On 1/21 he ordered 80 vico - there were none left (although he is traveling and could have transferred them to another bottle) He had 50 Dihidrocodiene tablets and a prescription for tylox.  

We only dated for 9 months - he was fun, played tennis, golf.  Now he works all the time, is impotent, withdrawn and seems depressed.  When I thought his demeanor was due to depression and approached him about seeing someone - he was very defensive and said he just needs more time to adjust to change in life (moved to new town - been married 11 months).  He sleeps alot but also keeps long hours at the office, always complains of pains, has upset stomach often, muscle jerks during the night.

I lost my first husband to cancer so I hope I'm not over paranoid.  Doe these symptoms sound familiar?  I love and want to help him.  Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Did your husband have some sort of an accident or anything that would have precipitated his having this medication (i.e., his needing pain medication)?  It does sound like his behavior could be consistent with someone taking too much of the hydrocodone (I am speaking only from personal experience--if I take more than 2 at one time, I get extremely irritable and frustrate and anger easily); did he exhibit none of these symptoms before you were married?  I, of course, have no understanding of your cirdumsntaces other than the limited that you wrote, but wonder if depression caused him to seek the drugs, b/c you can certainly get that euphoric feeling from them.  Had he had any reason to have taken the drugs in the past (before you knew him), due to any surgeries or chronic pain problems?  It certainly sounds like an awful lot of narcotics--if indeed he is going through them as it appearas he might be.
Yes, this sounds all too familiar here concerning your husband's behaviour.  You mentioned at least four different narcotics and in fairly large numbers. The dihydrocodiene can be purchased over the counter in many countries(not the USA).

I am a chronic painer and do not get drugs like this while under pain management.

Well, you asked for an opinion but I think you already know in your heart that he has an addiction problem. All the earmarks of addiction are right up there on the wall for you to see.  How you are to handle this situation is tickelish at best.  Perhaps a confrontation is best.  Tell him you are aware of things and are willing to help him if he is willing to help himself. Expect a lot of acting, denial, excuses and anger on his part...but stick to it! His problem is your problem after all.

J.B.
I detox every month from hydrocodone. I use 5mg doases every 6 hours for the first 3 days.  It really makes a difference. You still feel crapy but not like you would going cold turkey.
Thank you for your response.  I am too scared to stop taking Vicodin ES after taking it for 2 1/2 years non stop.  I am taking 30 pills a day.  It is going to kill me.  I am only 32 and I have three boys and a wonderful wife.  I need help NOW.  I know I am not strong enough to do this at home.  I have come to grips with that.  When I called around to some county hospitals they pointed me to one clinic.  It is kinda like cold turkey but they have a doctor on site and they do give you a half blue and half green capsule each day maybe twice daily.  I know this because in May of last year I went there to detox.  I went in on a Friday night.  I took 6 pills before my dad drove me there.  By midnight I was freaking out so they gave me one of those half blue and half green pills.

It WORKED but I couldn't sleep.  The next day it was very bad.  I had severe withdrawls on Saturday but they wouldn't give me anything until 6p.m.  I couldn't do it that way.  I was told on the phone before I went there that they would keep me comfortable while going through detox.  They just tell you that to get you in the door.  My insurance paid for three days of the stay.  I last til Sunday (2 days).  I went home on Sunday where I had 60 Vicodin ES pills waiting for me.  Ths is a loosing battle because of the mental and physical addiction.  I can't handle the withdrawls.  You just feel like dying.  

Are there such things as detox hospitals that will let you come in and stay a few weeks while going through the hard times?  With medicine to keep you comfortable?  Please advise.  

Also, please get help some where.  We are killing ourselves.  It is a slow death.  2 weeks becomes 2 years before you know it.  God bless.

Dman
The quanities you mention scare the **** out of me.  I for one vote you goin to a hospital for this.  I could not get clean if I had been on the quanity you mention on my own.  Please, for the sake of you and your family, go tonight.

My prayers are with you, Korg

Now clean for 118 hours
Thank you for your comments.  My husband suffers from sciatic nerve pain which has gotten worse since he has gained weight since marriage.  But prior to marrying he did not show many signs he is exhibiting now although, I did find some percocet at his house but they were always there - never disappeared.  The "no intimacy" and seeming depression were what led me to delve deeper.  Is impotence a symptom of hydrocodone abuse. I bought the books "Codependent No More" and "Intervention".  Any suggestions on how to approach him on this or should I just plan an intervention.  Thanks again for response and advice.
A lot of what I'm hearing sounds all too familiar ... when I was 17, I started having a lot of problems with anxiety ... I was terrified about going to college and my anxiety was debilitating.  My doctor put me on Lorazepam (Ativan), which was 6 years ago. I have taken Vicodin on and off since I was 10, because I have hereditary pancreatitis (not the kind caused by alcohol ... I NEVER drink), but about a year and a half ago my doctor gave it to me for headaches (along with Ultram).  I got up to about 10 5mg Vicodin per day, as well as 4-5 1mg Lorazepam and a few 50mg Ultram.  I went to my psychologist about a month ago, and she told me that the meds would eventually kill me (I know this ... I have a bachelor's degree in biology and I'm a biology grad student now) and she sent me to a psychiatrst specializing in detox.  To make a long story short, the next day I was checking into a local hospital.  I detoxed from the Lorazepam and the Vicodin (not the Ultram ... I just stopped it ... it is addictive and dangerous when you take too many, but it's not as habit-forming as the other two, so I could kick it easily).  The Lorazepam detox took 4 days (they gave me Librium) and the Vicodin took 5 (I was given Darvon-N).  The inpatient detox was about 1000 times more comfortable than anything I'd ever tried to do on my own.  I think it's because the meds were so controlled, and there was group therapy and individual therapy, etc.  

ANYWAY, to make a long story short, tomorrow makes 4 weeks with no Vicodin or Lorazepam (Thank You, Lord!!!!)  Here are a few health problems that have cleared up since I stopped:  trouble breathing (I ran 2 miles tonight!  A month ago I couldn't run 2 minutes); kidney problems; digestive problems; blurred vision, dry & red eyes; bloating; severe depression, panic, and irritability; dizziness and trouble keeping my balance.  I also gained 50 pounds because I didn't give a hoot what I ate or if I exercised or not ... and I was seriously slacking off in school, as well as snapping at my family, friends and boyfriend.  Just to name a few!  

If you have a problem with Vicodin, or any other med, please, PLEASE get help.  You can recover fully, no matter how weak you think you are, or how long you've taken the meds.  It's not an easy thing to do, but just remember ... if you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!  The Lord held me up all the way through the detox and since then ... I am eternally grateful for my newfound peace ... no more living from refill to refill!  It feels absolutely unbelievable.  If you'd like to talk, you can email me at ***@****.

Good luck and God bless you!
Thank you for your words of wisdom.

131 hours clean

Korg
Amelia--I am not a doctor nor have I ever had questions regarding impotence and hydrocodone, but I certainly could see that it could have that affect.  Take a few minutes to read many of these posts and you will see that while the drug gives some intensely good feelings (why else would so many of us be addicted?), it has some real negative side effects as well.  I think reading up on this and learning all you can will help you to eventually appraoch your husband.  I know my husband has got to know something is going on, but he is so nonconfrontational in every way that it is unlikely he will; I think it would probably help me if he would (of course, I could approach him, but long story....).
Chuckles--you and Korg are true inspirations! I was thinking last night that Korg could eventually have a "succes story" to put on that initial page...  :) :)
Okay--now I want to ask something b/c this has probably been the hardest part of my addiction (and I've seen some indirect references).  I have so much guilt because I actually have stolen pills from family, friends--well, you name it.  I actually drove over an hour one time to a friend's house to get pills while they were out of town b/c I knew there were 10 percocets in her medicine cabinet.  Bad news...
I have to say? if I put half the effort it takes to obtain and maintain drug use I would be a millionaire 10 times over by now.Poppie is some evil ****.What once makes you feel like a God and you can fly over tall buildings reduces you to a peice of crumbling ****,and useless to anyone or anything.All passions die to drugs like opiates.You become IT*
I wanted to add something to this thread and a few other threads.Just when I thought I would be stuck on hydrocodone for life? I feel something different spiritually today,like I can make things different ..everything can be different and better and ALIVE by dumping my old pal hydrocodone on its ass entirely.My post deppresion is what held me back the most,and I do have some depressing stuff going on,but I asked myself? So other people deal with this without drugs and they dont lay down and die over it even though you want to when you have someone dying on ya).So I go to my psyche two weeks ago( psyches only prescribe drugs and work with brain chems) They dont do talk therapy about what a shitty childhood you had which if you are a drug user it is likely there is something to that repeated cycle of mental illness of addiction,but when you use drugs you alter your brain chems drastically and deplete your feel good hormones.So I've been on serzone (SSRI)for 2 weeks and I feel like I can finally kick this monster of hydrocodone without all the mental drama I was experiencing post and during withdrawls.So yesterday I hear my sisters first boyfriend dies of unknown causes? They think the hospital screwed up.The truth of it is this: He was a body builder and all looked A-ok from the exterior.Lo and behold..the guy and his wife are strung on Oxycontin...Ah good ole OXY...better than hydro but the wife has a felony conviction for faking scripts,and I think they both turned to internet docs for hydro for the last two years.So he finally wants off drugs and wants to get clean,wants to fix some old broken body parts/goes to outpatient to get his bursitus in his shoulder tweaked,and his wife who is still current addict and using tells docs NO PAIN MEDS,he is a recovering addict,so of course he wakes up in severe pain after procedure because after you abuse opiates your pain receptors are NOW set on HIGH...like anything as little as stubbing your toe is a BIG ouchee! Pain tolerance is low guys.So when he wakes up in pain this dingy bzatch gives him 5 or so valium to sleep..He OD's they run him to the ER while he is passed out pumping his stomach the whole way there..since the wifey is stoned outta her mind on Oxy still and has felony she wont say **** to paramedics as to what he is taking,much less that SHE gave it to him ya know,so they dont know what he took ...turns out they pump him and give him gastric lavage treatments to clean him out..you know? like enemas and that sort of thing so he can survive the OD situation....well when you abuse opiates long enough many times you have an intestinal block because they constipate ya,the colon shuts down after time and many times can and will become an ER situation...so he had a hidden intestinal block and all of this rapid cleansing literally dumped so many toxins in his body he died,in spite of them trying to remove his colon surgically once they discovered that was the problem...he was 32.And he is dead.
32 man....no one is invincible to the hidden dangers of these drugs we take so freely.
I think that is what is finally hitting me...that you can and will die if you use hydro long enough...will you OD? not usually because we spend our days and BEST efforts titrating our buzzes so perfectly and have opiate tolerances like horses..so doubtful you'll OD/unless you use street Heroin and then **** you never know what dose is in the next bag so good luck every shoot its a maybe this time baby?...but the old intestine thing...forgot about that problem.
My mother tells me there is a woman who has been in intractable pain and has been for years.Medical Morphine addict...long before Morphine she did Oxy and hyrdro/had verifiable scripts for it...her colon shut down @ 50 yrs old..she is now an older woman of her years in a Nursing home and has had a colostomy bag for 15 years to deal with because of drug damage to her intestines.
This is something that does make me feel not so invincible anymore.I walk by my stash and I dont want to take another pill as long I live...my bones hurt my life is shot my house is a wreck..my career and marriage will soon be shot if I keep using..it is true..death institutions or jail...thats the end of the road unless you get sober...
Im just even hoping that I can fix all the damage that has been done in my 5 years of using.My body is tired my life is tired and my soul is tired...it is no longer a one way ticket...its gonna be one day at a time man...I'm kicking this **** once and for all.OVER IT!
I think I realize now how selfish it is to take drugs..everyday a part of you dies and your family loses you to drugs....its a slow suicide and not cool to the ones left to bury you over it.
everytime I look at that dope Im gonna think about that kid...and what happens when you use...where it leads,,,its nowheresville...just leads no where but down.
Get help get off and get clean...not worth it..its just not worth it...Life on a colostomy bag...not fun..not worth the high ever.Its my first day ,not using dope first thing outta bed and hitting the floor with a stone cold buzz on hydro to make it through another walking dead day..and I feel a new awakening to what I am really doing by using...killing myself.It will kill you.but we all feel so invincible by drugs as they take away every ache pain etc etc... When you dump it?... your body will tell you what is wrong...it hurts and it hurts for a reason ...the body hates drug abuse?
It is dying you just dont feel it on drugs and the denial is HUGE.
Addicted part just takes you down and you are along for the ride like the walking dead on drugs..what a bizzarre phenomena...dying and cant even tell?
Poppies are evil ****.
dee*

you have a wonderful way with words, I love to read what you post.  As I read it I thought " this is someone who is so bright and so insighful she can make a difference in a lot of peoples lives"  So, you go girl and make a difference.  love, telby
Very deep words, you really sound ready to leave the world of drugs behind.
I can tell in your words that you have a very very deep soul, and a very beautiful one.  It is time to wake up that dieing soul and give it new life.  It's not dead, it's just been smothered with opiates and it can be awakened and you will feel again.  
Keep the faith and take it one day at a time.  When the drugs are gone, you will be amazed by how quickly things will start to come together in your life.  You will have a renewed fire inside and will have an entirely different outlook and things will look brighter! :)
((HUGS))
Lv Jenny
Hi Amelia,
This is the perfect site for you.  Another thing that might help would be finding a good Alanon group; there they can help YOU and you will learn a great deal about the disease of addiction and learn ways to help you cope with your husband's addiction.
The opiates work on the brain's chemicals, the brain kind of gets lazy and stops producing it's natural 'happy' chemicals as long as the drugs are being consumed.
Therefore, there are many ups and downs, and the downs can lead to awful depression.  The jerks are caused by his levels being low, he is experiencing withdrawal symptoms.  He probably sweats a lot while sleeping also.  Opiates can make you nausaus, and low levels make you nausaus too.  The impotence is caused by the opiates.  They numb all your sensors and feelings, you no longer have normal desires, so it's not you.
Unfortuately, gone untreated, the disease will only get worse.  It's hard being newly married, still getting to know eachother and having to deal with an addiction problem to boot.
I feel for you!
I'm an addict married to an addict, so I can relate from both sides of the spectrum!
Get yourself educated on addiction so that you can be fully prepared (if there is such a thing) for the all the crazyness that addiction brings into your lives!
((HUGS))
Lv Jenny
Help! I feel awful. I am cutting way back on my hydrocodone and I cant stand it. I am only taking 10-5/00 a day and I keep telling myself that this is better than complete withdrawal, but my body wants more. I cannot function. I am trying to work, but cannot concentrate on anything and I feel weak, achy, depressed. I have absolutely no interest in anything except getting more. I have to be strong this time and I need support and help. I am a 51 year old woman, who has had severe arthritis pain and really have a reason to take the stuff, but I have abused it badly. I was taking about 30-40 s day, and if I could continue to get more I would take more. I think my liver is shot from all the tylenol. I have been doing this for about 2 1/2 years and even if I go through the withdrawal, that won't take care of the underlying problem of depression. I never seemed to have an interest in anything unless I was high. I will continue this later, I am posting from work and it is hard. I keep telling myself that this could be alot worse, I could be without any.

Did you know that opiates cause depression?  I took around 10-15 5mg Hydrocodone a day, for about a year, and I would feel really great a half hour or so after a dose, but as it started to wear off I would totally crash.  I cried for hours every day.  A month ago I went through detox (in-patient, they used Darvon-N), and it took 6 days.  I've been totally clean for 4 weeks and 1 day!  I take Paxil now (I took it while I was taking the Hydrocodone, but I was convinced it didn't work because I did so much crying), and my depression is SO much better.  I feel normal, I mean REALLY normal, like before I started taking anything.  Look at it this way ... it's very unlikely that you will feel worse after detox than before.  Give it a try ... you are killing yourself.  And like Dee said above, they totally block everything ... cause severe constipation as well as stopping your menstrual cycle ... and this allows a gradual buildup of toxins (because your liver can't work fast enough to break down all the drugs, so some toxins stay in your system).  I have a degree in biology and I teach college anatomy, so I know this stuff.  I also knew it when I was taking the pills, but I was in total denial ... I thought, "Good grief, this is a prescribed medicine, it can't be dangerous ... only trashy people die from an accidental overdose" ... and on and on and on.  The truth is:  ABUSING NARCOTICS WILL KILL YOU.  That's the truth ... it doesn't matter who you are.  I was selfish for a long time ... I thought only of myself and not of what I was doing to my family.  I was afraid to tell them, but they were so, so supportive ... I wish I would have detoxed much sooner.  Good luck!
I READ EVERYONE OF THE POSTINGS HERE, I WAS AMAZED AT HOW MANY PEOPLE NEED HELP.  I AM 36 YEARS OLD, HAVE BEEN AN ADDICT SINCE AGE 11, I NEVER READ THINGS LIKE THIS, I JUST READ KNOWLEDGE ABOUT ADDICTION.  FIRST OFF YOU NEED TO KNOW THE WEEK DIE AND THE STRONG SURVIVE, YOU HAVE TO ASK YOURSELF THAT QUESTION, WHEN YOU CAN GIVE AN HONEST ANSWER, YOU CAN BEAT THIS. NUMBER 1: ALL OPIATES DESTROY A PART OF YOUR BRAIN, IN ESSENCE WHAT HAPPENS IS, THE CHEMICAL FROM THE DRUG, TAKES AWAY YOUR NATURAL PAIN BUSTERS, IT TAKES ONE YEAR FOR THAT TO REBUILD, TO ME THATS THE SCARRY PART, A LOT OF US LIVE WITH CHRONIC PAIN, HOW DO WE LIVE WITH THAT FOR A YEAR DRUG FREE? ITS NOT EASY, BUT WORTH IT! 2: WITHDRAWL (withdrawal), ESPECIALLY FOR US THAT HAVE DONE IT MORE THAN ONCE, VERY SCARY! I AM AN LEVEL 4 ADDICT, BUT WOULD NOT GO TO INPATIENT CARE, IT MAKES WITHDRAWL (withdrawal) HARDER, REMEMBERIT WON'T KILL YOU, THOSE PATCHES DO HELP, SO DOES XANAAX.  THE TRUTH IS ONCE YOU START WITHDRAWL (withdrawal), YOUR COMMITTED IF YOU WANT TO BE, THE WITHDRAWL (withdrawal) IS NOT AS BAD AS HOW YOU FEEL ON THE PILLS.  WE HAVE ALL HAD  THE FLU WITHOUT A CHOICE, THAT SUCKS TOO, WELL LOOK AT WITHDRAWL (withdrawal) AS HAVING AN AWFUL FLU, WE LIVE THROUGH THE FLU, WE LIVE THROUGH WITHDRAWL (withdrawal) TOO. I LIVE IN TALENT OREGON, ANYONE WHO WANTS HELP CAN COME TO ME, I KNOW HOW TO HELP, AND I HAVE AWONDERFUL DR.  HE SAYS SCREW THE IMPATIENT PROGRAMS.  I HAVE A CRACKED KNEE CAP, SO I AM WORRIED ABOUT BEING IN TROUBLE AGAIN TOO, BUT I KNOW THERES LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL.  FOR YOU PEOPLE WHO HAVE CHILDREN, SEND THEM AWAY FOR A WEEKEND, WHATCH YOUR FAVORITE MOVIES AND REST, IT CAN BE EASY IF YOU BELIEVE IT IS. YOUR MIND IS THE MOST POWERFUL TOOL YOU HAVE.  I CAN GO THROUGH WITHDRAWL (withdrawal) WITH 200 NORCOS ON MY NIGHT STAND AND NOT TOUCH ONE, BECAUSE THE STRONG SURVIVE, I BELIEVE EVERYONE HERE IS HERE FOR HELP, GO TO YOUR DR. TELL HIM/HER THE WHOLE TRUTH, DON'T HIDE ANY OF IT, YOU WILL BE SUPRISED HOW MUCH SUPPORT YOU WILL GET, I AM GOING TO TRY TO DRAG AN EMAIL FROM ONE OF MY DRS TO YOU, BECAUSE I AM ON DAY 2, BUT ABLE TO SIT HERE AND WRITE TO YOU, BECAUSE I REFUSE TO LET THE DRUG BEAT ME!HEREIS MY EMAIL FROM MY DR.:  Hi Seppie....
Just a little note to see if your feeling ok.  I know the next few days may be a bit hard for you but am pulling and will help if i can.  Hang in there.
I did IM you but you left.  Is ok I understand your not feeling too well.  Hang in there.  :)
BJK  (THAT WAS THE END)THERE ARE A LOT OF DRS OUT THERE JUST LIKE THAT, HE SAID HE WAS GOING TO COME OVER AND DID SOME MUSCLE STIMULATION ON ME TOO.  SEE DRS CAN BE FRIENDS TOO.  YOU JUST HAVE TO LOOK FOR THEM.  DON'T BE AFRAID, ITS NOT THAT BAD. I MEAN THAT TOO, I TAKE 15 NORCO A DAY AND 10 10MG VICODIN KICK IT WITH SOMA, I WEIGH 100 POUNDS, I SHOULD BE DEAD!  I FELT SICKER ON THE MEDICATION THAN I DO ON THE WITHDRAWL (withdrawal), 3 DAYS OF SICK IS NOTHING COMPARED TO 2 YEARS OF ADDICTION, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU GET LOW AND CAN'TFIND ANY, ITS STRESSFUL, YOU KNOW THE FEELING OF GOD WHERE CAN I GET SOME AND YOU GET SCARED, THAT IS MORE SCARY THAN WITHDRAWL (withdrawal), TRUST ME PLEASE. PLEASE EMAIL ME IF YOU NEED MORE INFO AT ***@****  GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU, AND GOD BLESS!
SEPPIE
Hi Dabby--Have you tried talking with your dr about depression?  I am sure the pills are contributing to your depression; I agree with Chuckles, sometimes when I have taken the pills, after a few hours I am very depressed and get really angry easily, but the depression is a problem.  You are doing the right thing though by trying to wean yourself off--but perhaps you need more support.  Is it possible to talk with your dr?  I'm not one to say anything b/c I've not told my dr about my problem, but you sound like you really want and NEED some help.  How are you doing today (I just read your post from yesterday)?
Well I made it through the night and I think I took too much trazadone and clonidine and woke up feeling groggy.  I am having a very hard time at work and just wish I could take off time to detox.  I have some clonidine but don't know what is the proper dosage for withdrawal symptoms.  Anyone have any ideas???  Also, I have been taking effexor for depression, but even with that I am still depressed.  I just don't look forward to anything. And, you're right-that 15 minutes of a good feeling after I take the pills was worth the bad feeling afterwards.  I was almost hoping that one morning I just wouldn't wake up.  I know that sounds terrible, and I also know that the hydrocodone made that feeling worse.  As you can see, right now I am very scattered. Gotta go now.
You might want to post your question as a question rather than a comment on this thread.  You have some really good questions/concerns that I think can easily be answered but I am afraid you are too far down in the thread.  When you first pull up the cite, at the top just above where the questions/responses begin, there is a button "post a question".  You should use this and start a new thread.  I also think Dr. Steve could help from what I've seen, though I also think it may take awhile for him to answer.  But there are a lot of people who have done what you are trying to do and I know they can be very helpful to you.  Try posting a question rather than a comment.  Hang in there!!!!
Excellent post Seppie-  not only inspiring, but informative as well-
One thing though- even though i agree in principle with the concept of sitting down with your doc and having a heart to heart, not all doctors are your friends nor are they necessarily empathetic-
After suffering years of opiate abuse and addiction- I finally set down with my doctor and did exactly as you suggested, and bared my soul and asked for help.
After a withering look that one would expect to be directed towards BinLaden- the kind doctor offered his heart felt advice and suggested that I travel to the "city" and check into a rehab facility- and then told me that actually he had no interest in treating me any longer- that us addicts are the scourge of the country and responsible for 101% of the crimes in the country and all the ills and problems that have beset the country since @32AD.
Bear in mind that with a debilitating form of arthritis, nicely enhanced with full blown opiate addiction- I was effectively completely and totally cut off- and forced to face full-blown withdrawals- without any additional assistance or place to turn.
Solutions that I am sure that will be offered would include something like "find another doc"-
unfortunately- when you live in a very rural environment that has only one doctor within driving distances- and you have a job where moving is out of the question- well, lets just say- life isnt always fair-
and before you set down and give your good ole doc the low down- make sure that you really can trust em- because as good old Neil put it- the damage done...
THATS VERY UNFORTUNATE, AND YOUR RIGHT SOME DRS. ARE REAL ASS-HOLES, I LIVE IN A VERY RURAL AREA TOO. TELL ME WHERE YOU LIVE, AND I WILL TALK TO MY DR. AND GET YOU A REAL DR. OBVIOUSLY THE DR. YOU SEEN ISN'T A REAL DR. I WOULD LOVE HIS NAME AND ADDRESS, I WOULD WRITE HIM A LETTER AND TELL HIM HE DOESN'T DESERVE A MEDICAL LISCENSE, HE IS THERE TO SAVE YOU NOT SEND YOU TO DOOMS VILLE, AND HE COULD HAVE HELPED YOU HAD HE BEEN A REAL DR., LETS FIND YOU A REAL DR.  I DON'T KNOW THE LEGALITIES, BUT I WOULD SEND YOU ONE OF THOSE PATCHES, YOU WILL WITHDRAW ALMOST PAINLESSLY,AND YOU CAN DO IT AT HOME. REMEMBER MY EMAIL ADDRESS, ***@****          I PROMISE I WILL HELP YOU IF YOU LET ME IN!

LOVE,
SEP
How are you doing?  I've been thinking about you all weekend.  I hope you are doing okay.  Did you approach your husband?  Please let me know how you are...
Seppie-
You are very kind indeed to offer the assistance you did-
I will keep your email address for future reference- cant reply to your email right now- but I think you deserve big kudos for having such a big heart- God bless you for that- just be careful about giving your email address out- there are a lot of folks with evil intentions in the world-
Again thank you for having such a heart of gold and for speaking so eloquently and being so informative.
I am still taking Vicodin ES as of tonight.  I contacted Seppie and asked him to help me.  I am going to follow his directions and try to do this at home.  I would do anything to get off this ****.  It has controled me too long.  I know the only reason why I haven't stopped taking it already is the withdrawals.  Why in the world is Vicodin the number one pain killer prescribed to patients but when it comes to helping them get off of it the so called doctors turn the other way.  They act as if we are lower than them and we are on our own.  I went to my doctor and tried to explain how I was feeling.  He just told me to stop taking the medicine.  Well...if it was that easy I would have done that already..duh?.?!!  I feel for everyone of you.  I am or have walked in your shoes.  If Seppie can help me get over this then I will dedicate my time to helping other addicts.  I think we can help each other more than anyone else because we know how it feels to be out of control.  Keep coming back and posting to this site.  It helps me to know I am not crazy or alone.  I love you guys and I will say a prayer for all of us each and every night.  God bless.

Dman
Man there is some GOOD SOLID COMPASSION on this board.Well I have to say,things have improved much faster than I had expected trying to kick vicodin.Its a two week deal no matter how you look at it.But I will say after being one of the walking dead for years on dope,its a weird reality to wake up like as if you were in a coma not aware of your surroundings? Protected in a drug induced stupor? Any pain or work you put off while using just ends up in your lap like BAM,all at once....so now I know why they say "One day at a time" If you try to undo all the damage  of years of drug abuse in a day you will fail.It does come down on you like night terrors really? And I will say spiritually God is the only thing that could get me out of this prison I found myself slave to...if you really want it and ask him to help you he will...And soon enough many things that seemed bleak start to become enjoyable again in just a matter of a week or two,especially if you have the luxury of the right antidepressant for all the withdrawl (withdrawal) depression. But it is funny how all of the sudden even though I still feel pretty physically weak,and getting through what seems like an unlivable day without drugs..hmmmm? Little small wonderful things start shimmering up that I overlooked and cared not a **** about while using ...as when I used I cared not about anything ...no care about me or anyone else...just walking dead and the high had long gone ...as that is what happens...the high does end then you are just slave and you hate everything and everyone...But now while not under its demise? Some things look inviting in life?..Like small things? A movie? making dinner? music?...I lived a long time without music while on drugs..What a weird thing..On drugs I had no need for food,people,life,music...just dope.. I read a similiar phenomenon from a heroin user,it blocks all your sensory perception..well opiates do anyway.
So anyway I guess my point is? If you can still yourself long enough for just 10 days of pain..lots of advil..water..antihistamines...decent diet and a good shrink for antidepressants and perhaps a short term xanax script to sleep? its do~able! VERY DO~ABLE...and then all of the sudden life is SO much better and less insane than being a junkie man.You notice your passions come back,your love for other people arise..even those you thought you just hated in your life(spouse perhaps) its all dope that makes you so angry and agressive.
THE INSANITY on dope everyday is what really was hard to juggle.I give a big props to anyone who has juggled drug addiction and everything else in life.Its a hard act to do and keep up pace...soon enough it just comes down though,and you wake up and wonder what the fu*k happened to the years I was hooked.It is like waking up from a coma?The pain does pass,and you just go about your day...paving the way and giving hope to someone else stuck in the mud of addiction that it DOES get so much surpisingly BETTER! Everything improves,but it does not seem like it at day 1 2 3 4 5 6 /I just took advil 4 x daily and lots of water so I would not crush my forsaken kidneys/knocked myself out on xannies and then I emerged clearer,still weak..but it takes 2 weeks or about 10 days before your body and brain decide to give up the fight for cravings sweats etc etc,after that 10 days you get all new cells,NEW cells in your body that were NOT addicted to your dope of choice/The body is one fantastic resilient thing but you know if you run out in front of a car..the consequences are pretty clear,Dope kindof has a way of deceiving you that everything is cool,when you kick you realize everything is not harmonious in those cells that are addicted?...after that 6th or 7th day though man?.. something does happen and your head clears out...you can see through a new set of eyes...I say give it a shot man...you have nothing to lose except a dirty noose around your neck.There really is alot to gain from breaking out of the insanity of living script to script,hit to hit,shot to shot...it just gets more frequent and the withdrawl (withdrawal) just gets harder?
But you know us "addicts"...we like it the hard way eh?
Just take the step...and every painful day is a step forward and you dont have to relive it ever again,the next day will be better than the last,and if you use...well you just goty two steps up and half a step back but dont cave...give yourdelf a shot at 10 days..if anything improves you gained the world..and you can always go back to being an addict...I think after so many witdrawls Im sick of being sick...so I say keep stepping forward man? Soon enough you may even get 1 month/2 months/6 months...what a concept/ ANd a LIFE....being on drugs is like being dead man walkin'.There is no high at the end of it..just the chase..and you the slave? Insanity is a perfect description of being an addict using.Its insane and impossible to keep it up?
If I can get out? Anyone can. I have someone in the hospital dying on me who I love dearly,a marriage I was hard on when an active addict because I was such a selfish partner but couldnt see that aspect on dope,and when I was hard core using I just blew my life off FOR YEARS,so when I got sober?.. life was sharp and blinding to me straight out of that coma,but all is improving so quickly after the hard core withdrawl (withdrawal) dazey ****...so it can be done and then as soon as you know you have a little moment in the sun and its like if I can do this? I CAN DO ANYTHING!
Give yourself that one shot at kicking it...just to see if anything in YOU improves in a two week period..and really make time and arrangements if you have kids or a partner,whatever to tie up some 10 day time to feel like ****...it ends..and then the insanity ENDS!
Love to all of my fellow addicts..sober or using..its a hard fight either way. At least for once I can say I have been on both sides...this side might just  be better? And I say this with strong encouragement even in the midst of my half beaten cells still wanting dope like the drug feind and junkie that I am? I just dont want to repeat all those hard days ALL over again,if you get past day 4 you are ON your way...and sometimes day 4 may take you longer...like I said..2 steps up and maybe half step back..,Dust yourself off and remember the reason why you feel ike **** is because of the **** you are taking,Dont let it lie to ya!...whatever it takes just give it a go?
Dee*

When I finally told my wife (who I'm crazy about, and she me) that I was addicted to opiates and had been lying to her by hiding it from her, she cried for a few minutes.

Then she said, "You really want to do something to make up for lying to me? Then forgive *yourself* so you can get going on your recovery!"

Man, I sobbed for an hour, I was so moved by her strength and compassion and support.

"Well, whaddya think 'in sickness and in health' means, you dummie?" she added. "We're in this together."

Pancake, confront him and tell him you're in it togther and together you can beat it. You really can. Tell him to imagine  what his & your new life will be like, once he's no longer a slave to pain pills:  no more impotence, no more hating himself, no more sweats and feeling sick all the time, no more lethargy and  depresion and shame and guilt and no more of that awful awful sense that you're trapped on a one-way roller coaster that's going straight to hell.

Sure, it'll be tough for a couple of weeks. But what's a couple of weeks when you'll have your whole lives together?

Talk to your husband. Don't criticize him for his addiction. Go to him and offer, with all the love in your heart, a wonderful new life of freedom and happiness and health together.

I promise you he'll jump at the chance.

Your words are so very encouraging to read. I love the way you hit the nail on the head with this incidious disease we call addiction. I've got on got off got on for the last 3 years as well as abusing illegal drugs as well. (I like variety!) Seriously though, It made me feel very hopeful and inspired to read your words. Especially when I'm on my third day of detox. Thank you for sharing. i hope others will benefit. take care.

the ash
your words are encouraging stomcat. I want to live my life free of addiction from the need to constantly escape. I have almost 4 days, so I am feeling sort of better than the last few. thanks for your words. take care.

the ash
Hi everyone. I am new to this site and found it to be an extreme comfort through my living nightmare. Here is my story. This actually took place today. I have been taking 7.5 hydro's for about a year now for a back injury. A few weeks ago I had a procedure done whiched relieved my pain. Last Wednesday my script ran out and the new doc (back specialist) I have been sent to said I wouldn't need the meds anymore but prescribed Celexa (anti-depres). So I didn't take the Celexa because I don't think I am depressed. Anyway, I had some Darvocet so I took those for a couple of days. They didn't give me that great feeling that I was used to so I quit taking those. So by Friday I felt awful. Chills, depressed, sweating, shaking, you name it. I had no idea what was going on. I thought I had the flu. Then I thought about withdrawals. I got online and found this great site and read the symtoms (symptoms) which freaked me out. So I called the doc and he basically said go to urgent care or deal with it. Jerk! I called my primary doctor and explained to him and he called some in for me right away. I told him I wanted to get off of them so he said this: 1 @ 6 hours for 24 hours, 1 @ 8 for 24 and 1 @ 12 for 6 days. I also have Ambien to help with sleep. I have never felt as horrible in my entire life as I did today. I felt like I wanted to die and that is not like me at all. As soon as I popped 2 pills I felt so much better. Anyway, after I felt normal again, I spent the rest of the night reading this forum and it has given me so much hope. After the next 9 days when the meds are gone I will be here every day looking for encouragement. After I am well I will continue to be here for anyone who needs help or just to talk. Thanks everyone!
I am 29 years old. I have three bulging disks. It has been so bad I cannot walk for up to four days. Not even to go to the bathroom. I thought this was bad.
I was given Lortab 10/500 ten months ago. Not many 25 or so. I decided I needed to keep some on hand, so I went to an internet doctor who gave me 90 10/500 with 2 refills. I could even call a week later and get the same prescription. I just had to pay the fee and take it to a different pharmacy.
I took them even when I had no pain. Eventually up to 20 a day.
I've never lied to obtain a prescription. I only lied to myself.
I can handle it. Wrong.
I'm terrified of the symptoms of withdrawal. It hinders my work.
I cry for no reason when I stop. I'm a grown man.
I'm depressed. I never get depressed.
Now I must stop. I don't know how.
I have no question. They have all been answered by reading the posts.
JohnnyB: I know what you are going through. It doesn't have to be that way. If you want to get off of them without going through hell~you can. If you read my comment then you know you can. I was also taking alot every day. I am now on my third day of weaning myself off of them and let me tell you~ it is so much easier then just stopping. I was also depressed. It was horrible. Anyway, I am down to taking one every 12 hours and the only thing I am experiencing is mild cold chills. That is nothing compared. You will come out of your depression if you do it this way and very quickly. I am here to help you if you want. If you would like help through this my e-mail is: ***@****
You sound like me soooo much.  It is scary.  I've been hiding the tears myself....I've got a question for you if you would write me at ***@****
Hang tough, Shellbo
Hello, My name is Stephanie, I have been with my boyfriend for almost 4 years, I started thinking he had a problem when I had my son by c-section and my pills would come up missing, I didn't think anything of it really at first but now it is getting so bad he had told me he take 45 norcos a day I have helped him 3 times get clean and I don't know what to do anymore......He woke up this morning and said "Steph what happend last night?" He can't remember things he gets up and gets things out of the fridge and doesn't realize it, he has the worst cold spells I have ever seen anyone have....
He says he wants to quit ALL the time even cries because he is in so much pain, I tell him to get help and I will be by his side, then it's almost like he's bipolar happy (not wanting it) then pissed off (Needing it) I am so confused does he want to quit or is he just feeding me ****? I love him so much and I want to help him, his mother has the same problem with the pills I have no one to ask advice from because they just tell me what I don't want to hear and that is just leave it alone he will quit when he wants, but what if it's going to be to late for that??
please help!!!!! Thank you everyone for reading this....God Bless, Stephanie
hey there.. first off you added to a thread started in 2002 so you may not get many responses you may want to repost this as a new question.. just scroll down and hit Back to Forum and then Post a Question.
To your questions.. Yes he probably does honestly want to quit... but also yes he is feeding you a line of sh*t... that is what addicts do.. no matter what..
Can you help him??  Sure you can.. as soon as he is ready to WHATEVER it takes to stop.. that could mean going away to treatment.. That could mean confessing to his doc if that is how he is getting them..( I doubt that based on his dose per day) or cutting friends out of his life that use. Hopefully for both of you he will want to stop before his liver and kidneys shut down from all of that acetiminephin he is consuming per day. any amount over about 8 is enough to kill someone... sometimes it happens slowly.
Hope you find the help you need..
I am on my first day of detoxing. I have alot of worries and alot of tears. I have been on hydros for a long time. I went through rehab the first time, and then i was in a bad fire, I burned part of my breast and my arm then I went back to them. Now that Its been a while, Its time I give it up, without looking back. I have a husband who knows about it, but unless you have been there you have no idea what its like to come off of them. I need him so bad, but he also has a day job. I come to him crying but he doenst understand where the tears come from. I really, really need a friend, if someone is out there. Thank you so much!   Suzy
i am a 54 year old woman. my doctor prescribed hydrocone for my degenerative joint disease.he kept prescribing them to me then he complained the i aways got them too soon. i didn't realize that i was addicted. so he stopped giving them to me. i felt horrible. my husband got them for pain in his hips and back so i started stealing them from him.
       i am taking xanax now. i take quit a few of them sometimes when i don't have alcohol.i need something to relax me. if i don't them i get nervouse, depressed, and anxious. i need something to relax me so i can handle any situation that comes along. i think i was like this since i was a child, because my father used to get drunk and chase us kids around with a loaded rifle.
Hi Suzy
How you doing girlfriend? How much vicodin were you taking a day and for how long? I, too, have been PRESCRIBED 4-6 a day for the LAST 7 years and also soma for lower back pain and fibromyalgia and severe osteoarthritis. WELL, I am not working now and I don't think I need the pain meds but NOW I am wondering HOW I get off of them. I will follow how you are doing. I want to try and detox at home. I know if I have them I'll take them. UGH What a life, huh? These Drs. GET you hooked on them THEN tell you that you are hooked. I can't believe my Drs. nurse. EVERY month when I call she will tell me it's too early but SHE is playing games as my ins. will pay on day 24. Yes I know the exact amount of days before they will pay. Sad isn't it. Anyway, I "feel" this nurse likes the control she has over me. I would LOVE to KICK this addition at home. But am afraid to even start the detoxing. Keep me posted on your progress. I, too have a hubby that knows of my problem but he, too, works HARD all day. I almost feel guilty not working although keeping up the house is work. :) OK have a good evening. Precious
Hi Suzy
I AM WRITING THIS TO YOU BECAUSE I AM CONCERNED ABOUT MY SISTER.  SHE IS AT THE POINT NOW WHERE SHE IS READY TO GET OFF OF HYDROCODONE.  SHE HAS BEEN USING THIS FOR TWO YEARS AND IT HAS ONLY BEEN GETTING WORSE.  WHAT WE WANT TO KNOW IS, THE SCHEDULE THAT YOU USED TO GET OFF OF THEM YOURSELF.  WE WOULD PREFER THIS OPTION OVER GOING TO A TREATMENT CENTER.  IF YOU COULD SEND US THE SCHEDULE IT WOULD GREATLY HELP.  THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
IF THERE IS ANYONE OUT THERE WHO KNOWS OF A WEANING SCHEDULE FROM HYDROCODONE THAT KEEPS THE PAIN OF WITHDRAW TO A MINIMUM....PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANK YOU SO MUCH.
HI......THIS IS SNUGGLEBUG.  I HAVE BEEN ADDICTED TO HYDRO'S FOR ABOUT A LITTLE OVER TWO YEARS.  I GOT ADDICTED FIRST WHEN I HAD A COLLAPSED LUNG.....AND FOOT SURGERY LATER ON.  I HAVE REACHED THE POINT WHERE I AM READY TO TAKE MY LIFE BACK....SINCE THE PILLS HAVE TAKEN OVER AND ARE CONTROLLING MY LIFE.....AS WELL AS HURTING EVERYONE THAT LOVES ME.  I TRIED MORE THAN ONCE TO STOP COLD TURKEY....AND FELT LIKE DYING.  IT HURT SO BAD THAT I FELT LIKE I HAD POISEN RUNNING THROUGH MY ENTIRE BODY.....ALONG WITH THE ANXIETY, SWEATS, DIAREAH,HEADACHE, INSOMNIA, HARD TO BREATHE, ALL OF IT.  SO, I SAW ON HERE FROM AMPHORA.....ON HOW TO TAPER......AND HE SAID THAT IT WORKED.....SO THAT IS WHAT I AM GOING TO TRY.  TOMORROW WILL BE MY FIRST DAY OF THE TAPERING SCHEDULE.......BUT I ALSO WANT TO USE THIS SITE TO HELP ME WITH THE EMOTIONAL SUPPORT BECAUSE I FOUND ALOT OF HOPE HERE, AND I THINK I AM GOING TO NEED THAT. SO TO ALL OF YOU THAT HAVE BEEN AND ARE GOING THROUGH WHAT I AM.....PLEASE SAY HELLO TO ME.....AND MAYBE WE CAN HELP EACH OTHER THROUGH THE MOST DIFFICULT TIME OF OUR LIVES.......THANKS TO ALL OF YOU.     JULIANNE
Hello everyone. I have been prescribed Lortab 10's for the past 2 years. I thought I was in control but ended up taking 6-7 daily. I have Dystonia in my neck which is painful. To make a long story short I have run out of Lortab and going through TERRIBLE withdrawels. I have done this twice before but, this seems to be the worst. Its like electricity running through my veins. I am about to go crazy! This is the 24th hour. How much longer? I am looking for any advice.
Hey Snugglebug, I tried to taper. I did the best I could going from 6 to 1 then to a half. I believe any tapering would be a benefit. This morning I feel better as I took an Ambien last night. I know Im not out of the woods yet. But I feel better for now. I guess i need to get used to the pain. It sux. Anyway let me know how u are doing? Hang in there!
I can relate to you all, just happened upon this site myself and find the advise wonderful and everyone so supportive, hope it can only help me.  I am going to try the weaning off thing too, well I already have been the last couple days, it sux!  But I kinda just started doing it myself, thinking I know what I am doing, I almost called a rehab today, but don't have the money to do that nor do I want my family to know or be ashamed of me.  So, I am watching on here and gonna try to keep on truckin' with everyones advise to everyone else!
God Bless you all!  
I'm new to this page, in-fact...i've never had the guts to spill my guts on a "addiction" site.
I'm 26, female. I have an awesome career and i used to be happy.
Four years ago I started taking lexapro for depression, lots of ugly things seemed to all happen at once and I just could-not get out of bed anymore.
Shortly after I was introduced to pills- i had my wisdom teeth pulled abd suddenly, after one trip to the pharmacy-i was hooked. I was hooked on the feeling, I felt brave, confident, happy, talkative, energized, productive...all the things that my depression had taken away.
I live in a highly pill-populated area, it's so easy to make a call and 30 minutes later i've got a purse filled of "goodies".  these days i don't get "that" feeling or "that" buzz even when I pop a few extra pills throughout the day. I have noticed that i'm quick to get angry-i snap at everyone all the time.
I've thought about weening off or attending an in-patient program....from day to day i change my mind. Today I want to quit, I want to feel something real. I just want to be me, naturally happy.
But I'm wondering if thats even a possibility.  I take codine, anykindks, tabs, vicd..sure as long as the pill contains codeine I will swallow it and you don't have to twist my arm.
I do have a physically demanding job, I'm a physical therapist..my back, neck and right knee kills at the end of the day but my pill use is more than that. It's my crutch, it's my secret hidding place..and its overwelming to resume life without my "goodies".
I assume i'm heading in the right direction but wanting to stop and wanting to get clean but I'm not ready..and even before i typed those words I knew it was bull****, i'll never be "ready" .
i wish i could hide for 2 weeks and re-invent myself...sober.
Welcome. I suggest you post this on the main page so it doesn't get overlooked. This thread was started in 2002, these old posts get neglected usually, (as you can see most of the people did not get responses to their posts above which is sad)  If you would like advice or support, scroll down and click on Back to Forum then on the main page click on Post a Question then you can introduce yourself to everyone.
Well this is the first time that I am really facing the fact that I have a problem with opiates as well.  Listening to your comment sounded like I was listening to myself when I am thinking about what I'm doing.  Every morning when I wake up I think about the first 3 or 4 hydros that I am going to take to get me through the first few hours of work.  My job is extremely demanding on me mentally and physically - I manage over 50 people and I am constantly solving problems and dealing with other peoples problems.  I started taking hydros because they took the stress of my work away for a while.  I could walk around my center and smile, laugh, and motivate others because of the euphoria I was feeling.  For the past few months though - it has just been helping me get by.  I've been lying to my fiancee, because I told her that I quit a while ago, but I just couldn't even get through day one of the withdrawals.  My biggest fear is the day that I know I am only going to have enough hydros for the end of that day.  I have always been the strong one, the brave one, and the smart one in most other peoples eyes - but when I look at myself in the mirror now - that person is long gone.  I cannot even fathom what a day should feel like without taking this medication....and as much as I know that - I would race to get my early refill right now if it was available.  Redskittle, it is just nice to hear someone else out there right now who is working hard in a career and trying to battle this at the same time.  
Hey there. I am a 40 year old male with wife of 17 years and 4 children ...own my own business and had been taking the same pills 10m/500 hydros for over 5 years. I finally ran out 4-5 days before my refrill date so was forced to go cold turkey. I had several employees on vacation and had just let two go so had to work. My wife,children,any family or co-workers new about my dependence wwith this drug. Like you it was a great way to get so much accomplished (being a workaholic) as well as it taking care of lower back issues/pain that i have had since my early 20's. It was and has been pure hell.4-6 days of pain and flu like symptoms.next 6-8 days of restless leg syndrone and no sleep literally at all except maybe 4-5 hours in that 6-8 day span. (i was not mentally tired...very wired but not in a good way). Then the nest 5-7 days very confused feeling and depressed. I am now in the middle to end  of the fouth week. Pretty much feeling half way human again and so glad i stopped the ****. I drank tons of gatoraid...ate bananas(which did not help my restless leg) and excercised a ton(after that first 4-6 days). The excersise helped get my endorhines pumping again and helped so much with the mental aspects of the withdrawls as well as the restless leg/arm syndrone. At least enough so i could get some sleep 2-3 hours straight . I started out just by briskley walking at 1-4 am in the morning up to 4-5 miles.Heck i was wide freaking awake anyway...and now i am up to walking half the distance and running the other. Hopefully in a month or so i will be running/joggin the entire 4-5 miles with out needing to walk at all. I do not get cravings what so ever...i do not know if it is because i do not ever want to have to go through that "hydro hell week" again my entire life that it makes me sick of the sound /smell /or sight of those pills. I do not know how anyone can go waht we go through getting off thses things would ever want to even try one again...unless you have such severe pain issues and you are force to take them because there is no other alternative!! But my testimonial to you is it can be done without taking work off and anyone really knowing what is up....but you must be prepared and ready to do it cause it sucks. People thought I had the flu.This forum hs helped so very much as well iwould get on here and read what i could or might expect to experience and at least be a little prepared for it. Also reading all of the information kept me from losing my mind . My only concern now is that i have not done major damage to my kidneys/liver . I never took high dosages like i have heard some people post (mine was 4-7 10m/500 lora per day.)...but for over a 5+year period. All i can say if you can just do it and quit. It has been the best thing in the world that i have done and i know each day is getting better and learning what life is like without that stuff is a trip too!!! sorry this is so long , but it is my first post and it has been theraputic for me. Good luck to all trying to beat this stuff its horrible be strong willed and God Bless

I'm the NEW VICTOM on day 1 1/2 of detoxing from Vicodin.  Been using various pill cocktails for 15 years.  I am your go to girl that you'd never expect.  There's been off times of a couple days maybe weeks but, it's been awhile.  
My dailey cocktail mix was 4/5 Vicodin, 4/5 Fiorinal, 1 Tylenol-3, then zanex to sleep.  This was all split up with little bites throughout the day.  
When I almost overdossed myself by accident the 2nd time I quietly started my own detox 6/8 months ago.
The hardest to kick was the Fiorinal!  I was on the bathroom floor with the shakes & throwing up for an entire day!  Horrible head/neck & over all body pain followed but, I kept to the Vicodin & sometime use of ty-3.  
By the 3rd month I was down to just 2/4 Vicodin a Soma & ambian to sleep.  Kept me going but, lost that feel good feeling.....
For the past month I've been EXAUSTED!!!  Was down to 2 Vicodins and an ambian, woud take a volume when I felt that.....errrrr feeling.
Today is the beginning of my 2nd day and so far I'm ok.  
Just avoiding people, renting movies, taking vitamins, sitting in the massage chair, sleeping (just to get another day under my belt).
Hope this helps another me out there.
Welcome to the forum..you should post this as a new question...this is on an old thread and may not get any answers. Sounds like your doing what you need to be doing. Hang in there and keep posting!

CONGRATS on 2 days!!!....that's awesome.
Yea, well.... It's 2:30 am of day 2 and it SUCKS.  Can't sleep and have taken a volume already.  When is the peak of stress and when is all this over?  I thought the first couple days were going to be the hard but, it seems to be gettign harder for me.  What I'm looking for is a time frame????
I've been up for a couple hours now with my legs jumping all night.  A hot bath seems to calm them for awhile but, is there a vitamin or something I'm missing thats causing this?  A friend says for mr to eat bannans...?
Hello Laroo

Bannanas will help or a potassium supplement. I also find that taking a walk and then a hot shower/bath if you can.
I know that the restless legs are annoying.
I am in school this semester as I taper right now and the lectures can seem long when I feel like I wanna jump up and run around the classroom.
lol... I can only imagine the reaction I would get doing that!

anyway, hang in there and get yourself some potassium either from bannanas or supplements.... and drink lots of water...

I hope that you feel beeter... you will soon...
Thanks....I've taken 2 baths, a volume, vitamins and salt water with vitamin c in it.  
Feeling a little more calm, now I'm just waiting.  
I feel for U - school sucked!  It  just started way to early for me - thank got for bikini dancing or I would have been jobless - ha.  
I'll grab some bannanas when I feel like leaving the house.   Damn, where's pink dot when you need them.  :-)
hello, i am new to the site but have been reading a lot! I have been taking norco for over a year, about 5 a day. i am able to pace myself so i don't run out before the next refill date which is 12 days after the first(DEA regulation i believe). anyways i have been wanting to get off these for sometime now and did try but wimped out because of the withdrawls. They are horrendous and I like many of the people on here have children, a job and no way to go to treatment as an impaitent. I have heard of suboxzone has anyone else heard of it! It is suppose to keep you for experiencing withdrawls but not get you high. I am thinking about calling a doctor for the meds.  I have thought about weaning off of the vicodin but honestly don't think I can help myself if I know they are there. Any advise?
What would the effects from my, little over a year use, have on my liver?
This is an old post repost under post a question and you'll get some results. I am not sure I can help you with this...
Wow so glad to find a recent blog....I have never posted on anything like this....So here goes...I am 47 and have a horrible back...it started 2 years ago with a severe broncitus and coughing jags that would last for hours....as a result I developed a bulging disk. After several attempts to get an MRI my insurance finally approved and I found that I have 8 bulging disks from the neck to the bottom of my spine...in addition 2 are torn and I have a bone spur growing in towards my spinal column in the base if my neck...very loooong story short I have been on Hydrocodon for 2 years...750ml 2-3 times a day....I decided I am sick of living in a fog and decided to stop the meds cold turkey without any guidance from the doc....big mystake....I was off for 3 days on the 4th and saw the doctor....he put me back on 500 mil 1/2 pill twice a day for 1 week and a decline from there...2nd week 1/2 day and 3rd week 1/4 pill 1 week....but I want off this marygoround!!!!!!!!! I threw everything in the trash...and have no desire to dig through it....the worst symptom is I feel very dizzy...like my head is not attached....I was moody and cried quite a bit the 2nd and 3rd day but now Im just annoyed....I took 2 doses of the recently prescribed 1/2 pill 500 mil....1 yesterday afternoon and 1 this am....but have decided that still having the dizzyness why should I be taking any dose its not helping....does anyone have advice of a wholistic approach on getting over this?? I think if I could only get the world to stop spinning I would have no problem ending this nightmare....you trust your doc and rely on their abilities and knowledge and end up in withdrawls if your lucky enough to see what has happend to you...

Thanks for any input.
Hopeful
sleep is a godsend,spend time in bed only if you are going to sleep,get up early every day,no matter what kind of night you had.try to make it the same time every morning,you will feel like death warmed over for about a week,but it will pass.drink a lot of water,stay away from coffee and chew a lot of gum.try to stay away from any substitute for like alchohol or any type of sedative,but get a sedative from your doc if you need it.I'm betting you'll make it.(I'm free from a 12 year addiction)
how long is withdrawl (withdrawal)/loratab if u dont have anything
my brother is addicted to hydrocodone really bad. he has done some really bad things to get his pills and will do basically anything to get them. he has gone to jail over night and rehab for a weekend after trying to commit suicide after the family found out he was shooting up synthetic heroin. now he threatens to commit suicide if we try to help him or suggest rehab. He literally stays up all night playing video games taking pill after ill, then he sleeps all day long. He has no job and he is living with me and my daughter and he doesnt do anything! any suggestions???? please? ***@****
This is an old thread. Not many people will respond to this. Please post new questions so others can respond to your post.I hate to see you not get the help you want.
See you in the forum.  
I have become addicted to any/all painkillers i could get a prescription for.  It all started with really bad pelvic pain I was having for 5 months, at the same time trying to mend a marriage so although i needed the pills for legitamite pain I started abusing them pretty much right from the start.  Finally they did surgery and removed all these adhesions responsible for the pain, however they cut into a major blood vessel which caused extreme pain and prolonged my healing time, the doctor had me on Norco and Percocet.  Nevermind it seems everyone I know had pills to give me and of course I always acted like I was running low so I could keep my stock up.  I have built up quite a tolerance, this is isn't the first time i have dealt with this but i have one last prescription for  60 vicodin and since i know i don't have the will power to wean off i am giving them to my sister to wean me off, my question is how should I do it since i was taking probally 20-25 pills a day, should i start out at 10 a day and then go down slowly or is it better to go right down to 4 a day, I just want to reduce those horrible side effects as much as possible.  I have two young girls and can't be a mess for them.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated and it is so nice to know I am not alone.
Hello, I've been taking norco 10/325 3-4 times a day for the past 3 years for lower back pain.  It came to a point where I just didn't want to go on worryingabout the next refill and to deal with the pain through otc meds.  My day was ruled by the 3-4 hour time spans and the next dosage.  There were times I could go up to 6 hours without to much problem as long as I stayed active (running, swimming, walking, etc.)  Because of that I thought I could cold turkey and sweat it out.  After all I quit smoking cold turkey after 20+ years so I could deal with this as well.  After 12 hours I was full into wd symptoms...runny eyes and sinuses, allergy sensitivity, and the worst feeling of restlessness you can imagine.  The worst was trying to sleep as I would just toss and turn all night.  I finally caved in and got back on the meds.  Determined, the next day I decided to taper and read the forums looking for tapering methods and systems.  I decided to do my own time table according to how long I could deal without taking a dose and kept lengthining the time between doses.  Along the way I would try to cut down the amount as well using a pill splitter.  It's been 1 week and today I managed to get by the day without taking any meds.  Trying to sleep has been maddening!  Laying still seems to accentuate the restless feeling in my arms and I toss and turn until I give up and take a dose.  So I'm hopeful in the next few days I can stop altogether.  I just want to be a normal person again!  Here's some advice for those who want to try it this way.

Take "grace222" doctors timetable or modify to what you can tolerate
Stick to a timetable.  Try not to stretch out times between dosage because you're feeling good because it will catch up to you later.
Keep physically active.  I find walking for about 20 minutes really helps the physical part.
I've read on a forum "slower the lower" i.e. the lower the dosage the longer the timeframe
Don't feel bad if you backslide by not waiting for the next dose, just be more determined to keep at it
Time it so your last dosage is at bedtime so you can at least relax going to bed and fall asleep

Good luck to all.  Wish me luck I've just got one more hump to go over.
I have been off of alcohol for 12 years but had a car accident and have been on Hydrocodone for 2 years now.  I break 10mg tabs in half so 5mg every 2 hours so I don't know if I am fooling myself by taking "half" a pill twice as often.  It does nothing anymore but keeps me from getting sick.  I am scared to death but know the program and once detoxed I can stay off of it through the program.  
  I am embarrassed to tell my Dr., who warned me, that I would get addicted because of my past.  Should I just admit that I did and get medication help or suck it up?  I have done it before for 12 hours and don't ever want to do it again.  Thank you all so much for being here/available.
I don't think that I have cried this much in a long time I have been a abuser of many drugs, I am in a marriage that is so shaky at the moment because of these pills we have two beautiful little girls, I stoped using 10 days ago and gave my husband the ultimate ultimatum either quit or its over hes doing so good. I feel for every single one of you as this thread is old I hope that most of you achieved your goals I pray that you did this is such a hard life I know I need prayers too and I know I could backslide any moment and on those days I just look at what my life had become my husband and I have done nothing but fight about these things for 4 years no talking no love just constant battle about where the next high is how much money we have to get them or better yet hiding what we have from each other he has spent the last 2 yrs no joke sleeping in his building not getting up for work gettting messed up then going to work all night he is a construction worker it is amazing how fast the addiction happened as if overnight many days i just wake up and hurt all over still I just went out and got all the vitamins posted above I hope it helps im so sluggish all day not so good with a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old anyways to all those like me and mine we will get through this to another day where the sun is not too bright for us and we can smile and hold our heads up high till then one step forward one day at a time and remember GOD still loves us and he is there holding us even when we have no one else he is there and so am I
Hello there people.  Just another addict here but I should introduce myself, I'm a mother of 2, work part time, going through a friendly divorce.  I've been on hydrocodone for almost 2 years for legitimate back pain that seems to be getting progressively worse.  Normally, I take 3-4 500mg hydros a day, since the pain is getting worse I've been self-medicating with more...breaking my 500's into two so I can take 750mg doses.  Today is my first day without it and withdrawals suck, not to mention my back hurts.  Headache, tremors, runny nose, anxiety, excessive yawning, and I just feel so run down and tired.  My family knows I take these meds, but I don't think they realize how bad it makes you feel when you stop...especially when you stop cold turkey because you ran out and are afraid to call the doctors office because you don't want anyone to think you're an addict.  Your stories are all inspiring and I wanted to thank you for sharing them with those of us who need help and support to get through those first days.  I hope I make it and can treat my medications resposibly in the future, because I'll be on them for a while.    
I have been on Hydro 10/325 for over 5 years taking them as prescribed. I hate these pills and need them due to very painful inoperable back issue. I have three small kids that want dad to play and sledride and due the soccer thing. Its just not doable without some assistance with pain meds. Well, I made the decision last Sunday that I am done and if I have to walk with a cane again, so be it. I have cold turkeyed it for 3 days now and am starting to feel a little better. I really don't want these drugs but the doc says I may need them forever along with Therapy and possibly a cane at times. Well, my by back hurts like hell but I can see clearly again.

JM
I am a functioning woman who loves vicodin.  It started after the birth of my babygirl with 1 a day.  22 months later I could take 15 a day (5mg).  I "wean" off with codeine cough meds.  But I will be able to get more vicodin soon.  I can go a few weeks without them, but I miss them and the way they make me feel -- alive - awake - funny - without them I am tired, quiet and not as playful.

Thougths?
24 hours since I popped 3 750 mg hydrocodones.  I am not sure I can do this, I suffer from depression and it is creeping up on me slowly.  I have  kids, and now when I pop a pill it is only to feel normal, I keep looking for that high but it does not exist . I am tired of ruining my body and the lives of my family. I am ashamed to tell my husband what I am really feeling right now, he thinks I have a cold, how could anyone be there to help me get through this. I am ashamed, my bones are cold, i have a splitting headache, my back is killing me and I am sweating and have to take so many trips to the bathroom.    How do I go about getting help, I have kicked it before and suffered the pain, again my husband has no idea, but my problem is using again, which is what I really want right now. Where do I seek help from others who wont judge. I cant afford rehab and there is no way I can leave my kids. any opinions  any one in the so ca area.
I am a 21 year old girl with a 40 pill a day habit. I'm graduating from college in May (well, hopefully now), I have an internship at a very reputable news station, and I had big dreams. I couldn't wake up in the morning without eating 7 vicodin a day. it started just a few about 2 years ago, just on thursdays when i'd have fun with my boyfriend watching movies, playing games, etc. But then, i needed it more and more, and I couldn't take the 750 mg any more because there was too much tylenol in the them. I went on the hunt for norcos and only norcos. In Oct 2009 I got clean for 30 days and then picked up again. Narcotics Anonymous was the only was for me to stay clean, but I wanted that "warm & fuzzy" feeling back again so bad that I threw away the days on the couch that I missed class and work and took suboxone and xanax to sleep. I f****d it all up by picking up just 4. As they say in the meetings though 1 is too many and a thousand never enough. That started me off again and now i haven't taken anything in 19 hours. I am miserable. I know how long this lasts. I know all about detox, but I'm feeling so resentful because I want to feel good again. I don't want to hurt right now.
First and Foremost I would like to thank my higher power whom I call God for helping me with my addiction! I was on Vicodin for about two months on and off, got hooked, I am now on my fourth day of quitting cold turkey. It was not easy coming off those dam pills either the withdrawal systems is to die for I thought at times, however I finally got through with prayer and sweating, not eating, hot and cold flashes all those bad withdrawal systems that come with that devil drug. I will pray for anyone who is coming off the pill and pray that you stay off it also, I know its not easy but please keep the faith you can do it I am a living witness of this and I am 44yrs old. Pray keep the faith and let go and let God!! Have a Blessed day and God Bless You All
I'm on day 2 I have beed on hydrocodone for a while now! I can take anywhere from 30mg-50mg at a time maybe 3x a day I'm very scared right now :( I have chills sweating achy cranky all kinds of crap going on an I'm worried to death I will have a heart attack or something else bad happen! I have 3 beautiful children an I just want away from this crap I hate being this way if it wasn't for my husband being my biggest supporter idk what I would do! This is so embarrassing! Can anyone give me an advice or how long this will last? Any info would help thanks!!
Loving,

This is a really old post. Try to start your own post.
First Congrads on ending the cycle!
You won't have a heart attack! Think of it as having the flu. It will last about a week depending how much and how long. You will need a few things. Something to help with
the stomach issues, Some advil, or what ever you take. Keep posting. Just remember this will pass!

Terry
This is day one for me and I am feeling just horrible!!!!!!!! I took my last two hydrocodones last night and I have absolutely no energy :( This is rough I have had a hydrocodone addicition for over 4 years, and it has gotten to the point to where I don't even want to get up in the mornings to walk across the room to get into my stash and feel better. I am a single mom of 2 very young children my daughter is 4 and my son will be 2 next month but even worse my addiction is soooo bad that I recently gave birth to another little girl 6 months ago and I gave her up for adoption because I couldn't afford to support her and my addiction. I currently live with my grandparents and my mother who helps me with my kids but one of my biggest problems right this second asides the horrible pains is that all 3 of them are prescribed to hydrocodone 10's and there is almost always a full supply of them in the house they each get 120 and my grandfather gets 120 hydro 10's and 120 hydro 5's and my grandmother also gets morphine patches and my mother gets 120 tramadols well my grandmother has handed me 3 pilld today and i have immediately handed them to my mom so I am doing my best to kick this out the window :( but OMG I had no idea it would be this hard but it's starting to effect my kids and I don't have a choice anymore I have to do this....
Manda ... Are you still here?  I was just wondering how you are doing.  Its for the best what you are doing.  The best for you and the best for your kids.  I have faith in you.
Been doing 20 blues a day now for about 6 months. Got some saboxin (suboxone) from a friend and please be warned. This stuff is not a joke. Maybe if I would have gone to the dr to get the proper treatment, this would not have gone so bad. Shortly after putting two tabs under my tounge. I became real hot and had to empty my bowels. Of course I was in my car with no access to a bathroom. Finally made it home and the HELL continued for the next 3 days. Thats where I am now an am feeling kinda better. Please heed my warning, do not take saboxin (suboxone) without a doctor. And good luck to all that are hooked on these horrible pills.
Hi JJ...you should start your own post and talk with us. this one is very old and will get lost here. If you need help, let someone know.
I am currently weening myself off of hyrdo. I am 23 years old. I have been on them for two years. I don't know if I want to continue to ween myself off or just stop. I just want this to be over so that I can be normal and not feel like crap all the time. I think I could handle this if the stomach pains weren't so bad. Not to mention it is hard to sleep. I just don't know what to do. I really wish I could go to that Florida detox center that detoxs you within 3 days. That would be awesome but I know that I couldn't afford it. Who can afford it these days. Plus I want to know that I can overcome this. I just want it to be over but I am only on day 3!!!! I should be completly off of them with in 27 more days but that is so long. I don't have anyone to talk to about this. The people that I try to talk to it about they have never been through it and they say that it's stupid for me to be hurting this bad. But they don't understand. Whre do I go for someone to respond to me. Please help me!!!
-
Welcome!! This original post is over 9 years old..............these people aren't here anymore. Go to the top of the page and hit 'post a question' (green button) or the blue words that say  'back to forum'.....this will get you to the current forum. This old post will get archived and you don't want your cry for help to be lost in the shuffle.

Keep posting and stay strong
Greatgreebo
well been on lortabs for 4 yrs was taking 7 to 8 up to 10 pills a day was relaxed but could noy function in my fast pace job i went cold turkey for 1 week now i turned it over to god he will pull me through this with all his faith.today is a good day ive beat the addiction but cannot sleep 4 hours a night .i flip in bed like a fish ivewalked trails through out the house but my body is feeling better .man it was rough though after day 3 iwas over the urge take alot of vitamins drink plenty fluids and pray all you can pray to our heavenly father above and he will guide you through this like he says he will never lay on us more than we can handle .so people have faith and give up addiction man life gets better and clear every day know.
I'm fighting a 5 year, 10-15 pill a day Vicodine habbit. I'm very proud to say that i am 18 days clean. The withdrawal was miserable but necessary if I wanted to see my only daughter grow up. She's a year and a half old and the love she shows me is worth more than any pill or withdrawal symptom. I understand what all of you are going through, and unfortunately only you can take that final stand and face your fears of withdrawal. I hate to be so forward but there's only two choices in this horrible situation. Face withdrawal or Die. I found the strength to do it on my own but not everyone can endure that pain. If you can't, please seek help, cuz you can't keep living this way. ONE WAY OR ANOTHER IT WILL COME TO AN END.
i am not an addict of viciden or hydrocodon, i also dont judge if you are one. I just had surgury and was told to take 2 500s every 4 hours and i can see how that stuff can become VERY addictive. After a week straight of taking that stuff every 4 hours I suddenly stopped and I dont know if its just me but i came down with a fever and felt horrible so Im pritty sure it was the pills I was withdraling from. Anyways I hope your still reading because there is this new stuff that 100% legal on the market called kradom. I not sure if I spelled this right but if you og to must smoke shops they will have it. Its a powder that you make into tea that has a mild viciden like effect. If you are coming off pills like hydrocodon or viciden buy some of this and try it to wean off the drug. kradom is ment for this ive been told by alot of people! try this if you want to quit! good luck, you can do this.
I have been reading all kinds of post during the last few days concerning withdrawals. I am now able to post myself. I have been taking lortab 10mg for months. And of course not as directed. Let me back up. I have a bulging disk and was seeing a doctor for this. So of course he prescribed this medication. But I found that one every four hours was just not cutting it. So more and more....then I said to hell with that. Called him and he prescribed Tramadol. Thought it was safe. NOT!  Took 120 pills in two weeks. Now I am on day 5 of withdrawals. I think yesterday was the worst. Night sweats, anxiety, twitching, this crazy "fog", and God awful muscle pains. Not to mention having to go to the bathroom every hour. But I woke up this morning feeling ok. Slept ok last night. I confessed to my husband and my parents yesterday.  And let me say that it helps to admit I had a problem and to say it out loud. It makes it real. I am craving some because I know just one will make this go away. But I am stronger than that. I have come to far to go back. If you are wanting to stop this horrible problem with addiction,just know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Everyday is going to be better.
Hi folks.  I've been on varieties of codeine for over a year after I was thrown from a horse in remote mountain range  and had to ride two hours on the horse until we fell below the tree line and the radio worked and I could be airlifted out.  Broke six transverse processors, but there's no surgery for that and suffered  disc damage.  
After much physical therapy, etc. I was deemed a success story and avoided fusing of three discs....even if they had done the surgery they couldn't promise the pain would go away because of the other breaks.  Surgery with a LONG recover and no promise of reduced pain?!  It was a nightmare.
The awful truth is I love the way the hydrocone makes me feel happy and pain-free.  Like the posts I've read, of course, it continues to take more and more of them to get the same feeling and to make the pain subside.  
The day before Thanksgiving I was about out of pills  I missed my 30 day med checkup doctor appointment due to my son's illness .....I almost didn't put him first!  I called to reschedule my appointment But then the pain management group first opening was 9 day away!  I said, but gee, my meds have run out.  Sorry, we are already double booked.  "What am I supposed to do??"  The answer was if the pain is really bad we advise patients to go to the emergency room.  Huh?  For chronic back pain?  I couldn't imagine sitting with car crash victims and heart attacks because my back really hurt.
So, here I am surviving first  day without a pill and I feel like s***.  Like I have the flu.  Legs hurt, nose runny....what's THAT about.  My appointment isn't til Friday (it's Saturday).  And reading older posts here on this terrific site, I realize I should not ask for a refill because I am addicted, I abuse the drug, take more than prescribed.....really I just started that because my back pain was so daily, always with me making me irritable and snappy and I just want/ed my old life back:  a simple day without pain.  Is that too much to ask for?  
Due to IBS I can not take ibruprhen and certain other other the counter drugs.
But I'm also tired of popping pills, trying to figure out how to get enough.  Borrowed from friends.  had big dental problems and asked for scripts; my mom had surgery and didn't finish her script....I guess it sounds familar but I hate it.
So I'm thinking, why not stop NOW, if not now, then when?  I'm going to run out before I next see my pain management doc, so I feel I should put an end to what has become such a private nightmare.  (I hope, like some of you wonderful people here that I will discover that my back pain isn't as bad!!!  But what if it isn't?)  
When I have little pills lefts I tend to drink more (never a problem before!!!)  It's astounding what has happened to me.  A legitimate painful broken back and now I'm only happy with a full bottle of pills, this makes me feel safe.  
I could use tips for getting through detox.  I'm a single mom with three young teenage boys!  I have to stop, what kind of example would I be????
Help please.  Lost where I am.
Hi I just relized myself that I have problem, me and my husband have both been on hydrocodine for the past two years I want to be done with it but he still takes them witch makes pritty much impossible for me to quit any suggestions on what to do I could really use the help thanks.
Hello, I just came across this blogg looking for ideas and help on how to detox from norcos. i have been taking norcos and vicodin for the past 3 years due to car accident injury, to start with. After that I just continued to use just to just get through the day at work and home. I now take up to 12 a day. I am so sick of depending on meds to live my life. I have detoxed once before in 1 1/2 yr ago and was clean for about a month. The week long aggony I went through, is not something I can take again. I have to work. I have some valiums and muscle relaxers for bedtime but what about during the day? What can help me?
So final answer is 90 days of depression?! Wow I can bear the physical. Its the mental I can't take I'm glad there's othr ppl trying 2 get clean as well but honestly 3 months is unmotivating :(
Hi everyone, im a 22 year old mother of one. Ive been taking vicodin since I was 16 mainly for my excrciatiating menstral cramps. Recently my mother passed (an overdose on methadone) and ive been taking a lot more than normal. I have gotten off before and was clean for two months. I need to do this for my daughter! But the withdraw symptoms get worse everytime I try to stop. I get so scared because I am the onkt person my daughter has (dads a drunk, no other family) and I cant properly take care of her when im withdrawing. What should I do? See a doc? Or persue on my own? I desperatly need advice
Dear Friend,
Have you tried tapering?  Are you able to have the self-discipline to taper? Maybe if you were supported by me and others on this site? I have tapered to less than 1/3 of the dose of opiates I was on.  I am still in process, so I am not going to say I have the answer.  I will get through this with you though.  And so will my friends on this site.

I am so sorry about what you have gone through!  And I so encourage us to press forth, and to believe that God will bring us to the other side.  We need to relax into the process.  And know He will bring us there.  You aren't alone.

Although people on this site can't discuss the specifics of a taper plan, we will all share our hope with you.  Many people have come through addictions like ours.  Please take my hope that we will be free of these addictions!

Send my love and prayers.  Looking forward to hearing from you here or in a private message.
Marie
Please copy your post, and repost it so that a lot of people can respond to you.  More people will see it , and they will offer their help !  

Marie
Hi honey and welcome - I just tapered myself down and detoxed off years of hydrocodone use so I totally feel where you are coming from.  You CAN do this, you've recognized it and found your way here - that is a big step.  I chose not to speak to my doctor about this and taper myself down but everyone is different.  If you feel you can work with your doctor do it.  Set yourself up for success to do this, do you have a close friend or anyone that can help care for your daughter when you "come down with the flu"?  Just get a little creative if you feel you must do this alone.  I cut myself down progressively to 1 pill last Monday and that was it, by Tuesday I was feeling awful, Wednesday was awful and then every day it started to get a bit better each day.  Today is Day 10 and I'm so glad I did it.  I too, took for pain and I understand how hard this decision is - to try to face and deal with the pain unmedicated.  I'll be around all day today and most of tommorrow and then I have to go out of town for two weeks but know I'll be pulling for you!!! You can do this if you decide - you are worth it, your little girl is worth it.  
I have been addicted to codones now for 5 years... On a good day, I take 15 to 30 10's, bad days I can get by on 3 or 4... I know its a problem. I dont feel normal without them. When I stop my hands and feet swell, sweats, skin crawls, back aches etc... But the worst is the depression. I've turned suicidal twice now when I've tried to quit... I am a single father of three... I can't go away and get help to quit. I cant allow myself to loose it. I'm screwed...
Let me start off by telling you that there is one person who can change all this. Not sure how religious you are but if you believe in God, that's all you need. I have been addicted to vicodin for over a year. I know that getting through life was virtually impossible without them, But I learned even better,"that are things are possible through Christ!"  I used the tapering off method. What i felt I could push myself to do and I went by The Thomas reciepe. I researced all the vitamins your body needs to get back it's natrual andorfens. Lots of potassiun for the restless leg syndrom (syndrome), l-thyrosine for the mental focus and b6, zinc and cooper. Hot showers help so much with the aches and restlessness also. My family support was very helpful. I knew in order for me to beat this and let the devil win I had to come free by telling the people I loved the most that I had a problem. "Whom the son sets free is free indeed" So here I am new to this, day 5 of tapering off and today woke up feeling great. I'm not completely off the hook but where I was taking 12 vics a day I am now down to 1/2 pill every 15 hours. Praise God! It is all because of God's good graces. I gave it to him and prayed evertime I experienced the withdrawls. The restlessness the aches. Everytime he brought me out of it and gave me comfort in knowing he is fighting my battle for me.

For anyone I knwo the struggle. I know the withdraws and I also know that without God on your side the enemy will not let you go freely.God is wanting to help you you just need to ask him. God bless!
Hello to all, Its been 3 days of detoxing and its been a B@#*!. For me the first 1 day was the worse. Today is my 3rd day. I'm feeling much better. I have been off and on, on  Hydrocone 750 mlg. I have also been on Tramadol from two different doctors, For the first time I told my wife of my problem and shes been very supportive. I hate this DRUG! I'm an ADDICT, I'm not proud but you need to let the ones you love know that you have a problem and that you need their help. We need to stop lieing to ourselfs. Its an ugly disease and we all need help. I thank everybody for all of the help given and the support. Be strong and thruthfull with yourself and everybody around you, especially your family. May God be with you all. Thank you all again.
Please get professional help with this. Your kids need you. The cocktail of drugs you are describing are dangerous. Recovery programs after detox are just as important. Take what you can get in recovery. The one that meets your needs will come in time. The drugs you are taking induce depression.
I'm prescribed 180 norco 10's for back and endometriosis ... Well I've been taking 4 a day for almost 2 years and for last 6 months or so 5 or 6 a day . Well I'm.out and I can't refill for exactly a week from today, My last dose was yesterday morning I had 1 1/2 and started filling withdrawls I had some left over ultrams took 3 and made it thru the day but of course no sleep and then the leg and lower back pain was unbearable and I just want to sleep! I also have buspirone took 1 in middle of night think I got maybe hr sleep I also have muscle relaxers .. I'm a mom to 2 toddlers so I have to be able to function but after this if I make it thru it I never want to take them again ! I'm tires of needing them to feel normal I get no buzz , I have bad pain but I can deal with that over this and being dependant on something . I'm just wondering with what I've been taking how bad and how long should the withsrawls last? And also will the meds I have work and help? I don't have many ultrams or flezirils but do have plenty buispoirne ... And what can I take to have energy and feel good! I got the Thomas recipe .. does the l tyrosine help energy? Thanks everyone , I love reading on this forum I just hope I make it thru this and not tKs no more
I just joined this site after reading post's from 2002, I have been taking all kinds of Opiates for three years, I have arthritis and always have pain in my legs, lower back and hips. I have been in the hospital several time for it and pain meds is always the answer, but now its out of control and I dont want to lose my marriage because of this. I have an incredible husband, my first love, first everything. It troubles him and its causing him to not want this marriage any more. I am prescribed 180 Hydros a month and I finish them in 5 days. I cant go to a rehab because I work in Mental Health.......yes! can you imagine, and my speciality is domestic violence and "Substance Abuse" I know I can wean off gradually and safely take what I need to without abusing them, I need to take four to six a day not 20-30 a day. Why? Wy do I do it? it's a vicious cycle, I am sad or upset, over worked, over whelmed, feel alone and I take a hand full of pills to make it easier to deal with. There is no more euphoria and if i want that feeling I have to take 10 at one time, I can take two to not feel any withdrawl (withdrawal) pain, so why dont I stick to that? I dont know! I like that feeling of haveing all of the energy and getting everything done I need to do. But this is not the way. I am better than this and I know it. I can do this, I need a support system....

I know if I stop this reckless behavior my husband will see it and hopefully get closer to me again, that is what I am hoping for, but I am not doing it for him, I am doing it because this is not the right thing to do or the way I want to live. I want to be responsible. I have felt the pain of withdrawl (withdrawal) and wanted to die. I was sent to pain management and they gave me Oxycontin and Roxy's and I stopped going, I was afraid of those meds and refused to take them. Now I will only take Hydro and usally 10/500 or 5/500, but I stay away from everything else. A choosy pill taker...

I have joined this site to get support form others who are going through this and beat it, for words of support and encouragement. It's 4:59am, and at wake up time I am going to start day one. I plan on taking 1 10/325 every eight hours and wean down with adding some potassium and Lysine 500mgs. Any one out there who can lend me a hand through these next day would be an angel to me. I plan on sitting in the sun most of the day and keeping busy trying to read or take half of a .05 of a xanax to help with the stress of it. I am not afraid, FEAR is False Evidance Appearing Real......I just need to do it......Wish me luck and if I can get to day 7, that will be a miracle....

The best to all,
Kind Regards...
Hey there, I just joined this site and read your post, how are you coming alone? I shared my story below, perhaps we can reach out and share some support...

Wishing you the very best, be strong....
I just joined this site and I have been reading your post's, please let me know how your coming along. I have shared my story and hope with support, encouragement and determination I can get through this. I am happy to be a listner and reach out to you....

Wishing you the best....
Isis
I'm brand new at coming out with my addiction to Norco 10-325's. It has literally ruined my life and I want it GONE!! The withdrawals are absolutely miserable...my back and legs are a mess and all I can think about is how 3-4 of em will take care of the pain! But I will not put them in my mouth ever again! I've come clean with my mom and boyfriend and it's definately gonna be a day by day experience but I know I can beat this! I'm a strong girl!!
Hey...I'm a professional, but used Oxy and Hydro to manage back pain for 7 years.  I got tired of sitting in my pain doctor's office every month to get my scrip and confirm that I was not having any relief.  My wife was aware and kept supportive, but I was consumed with watching the clock all day to get my next dose.  I heard about a doctor in Houston who worked with outpatient detox programs transfering from vicodin etc to suboxone.  It took about 3-4 months to wean off but eventually I was able to...but my chronic pain (perhaps the lingering effects of the detox) persuaded me to seek a pain doctor who was all too willing to put me back on oxycodone.  I struggled again with the addiction, and oh no one suggested that I quit the bottle of wine I drank every night.  The addiction symtoms (symptoms) were more debilitating than the back pain so I went back to the doctor for a 2nd suboxone regimine.  I thought I'd never get weaned off entirely.  It tood a huge leap of faith.  Still enjoyed my wine at night.  after headaches nausea, ringing in ears, I was going to an MRI at the doctor's advice when it hit me...doy....it's the dependence on the wine.  I stopped the wine cold turkey..quit the daily ambien and been clean since.  I miss the wine dinners and the social aspects but the relief of being off of the opiods is just awesome.  It's been almost 3 years now...and the first time I can write about it...but I feel like I'm on the road to recovery.  For you users that watch the clock all day to see if you can pace yourself to the next dose...I was like you trying to keep my career going.  I was very fortunate not to lose everything.  My back still hurts like hell (I've had 3 spinal fusions) but I'm clean and that means a lot.  It's worth working towards.  For you that are struggling with it....I encourage you to find a doctor how will manage your care with Suboxone..few know about it including my back doctor...but it saved my life.  Keep at it.
I am an addict. Hydros 10/325, though not as many daily as some here, yet 10-12 per day is substantial enough. Without going into details it started with severe back and neck herniations.

I have detoxed from these at least 5 times over the last few years.  3 times cold turkey, two other times with the help of a Dr. on a Suboxone regiment.

Some of the detox examples that others go through is concerning, not for me, but for those who are new to detoxing. It's certainly not fun to detox but it's not entirely the hellish commentary some have proclaimed here. I guess everyone is different.
You will get the cold sweating, chills, bowel issues for sure and aching muscles, for me they happened at night.. There will be general lethargic feelings too and possibly mood swings. The best thing to do is take a week off of work. You should notice a difference around day 3-4. Day 7, at least for me is the beginning of the new me.

If you go into this thinking you will be depressed, you will be depressed. The psychological dependency of these drugs is the toughest part of breaking away from them. Drink plenty of water, take hot baths. Take hot baths all day if you have to for aching muscles. Take vitamins.

If you afraid to go it alone then get to a Dr. that prescribes Suboxone, they really do work. Valium helps but not recommended with Suboxone unless prescribed in conjunction with Suboxone, and if you do not have access to Valium then OTC sleep aids help as well. It will be a long week for you but well worth the time. Imodium (immodium) for bowel problems is recommended.

Disclaimer: Going cold turkey is not recommended by physicians. It is possible to change brain chemistry. The best way is to seek treatment or to wean yourself off if possible.

God Bless
I think I am an addict, but not sure how bad. I am on percocet 5/325 & take 3 or 4 a day. I have chronic pelvic pain due to adhesions & have arthritis. I cant wait to take my next percocet. I am SO afraid I will run out. I dont mean to sound like a wimp. Compared to the problems alot of people are dealing with....I also suffer from major depression & am on an anti-depressant. The only thing that makes me feel better is my percocet. Ive tried SO many anti-depressants & no matter what dosage they give me, it doesnt help that much. Recently, my doctor also gave me Lorazapam to sleep. Now I cant fall asleep without it. I am an addictive mess...thanks for any replies.
I have been taking Roxys for over a year and I'm day 11 clean right now the withdrawals are the worse and I'm day eleven and still haven't slept none at night! But tapering I tried too it made it worse because I kept putting them in my system of you have support then let them keep you strong and just pray that ls what I do every night! I have talked to professionals already and they said that honestly time is all it takes you just have the will power to stop and I will pray for you and hope you can do it! God bless you and your family!
almost 72 hours now clean. I was taking about 100mg Hydro per day when i stopped cold turkey. My wife found my pills in my briefcase after she suspected i was high at dinner. I finally admitted to her that i am an addict, and have been for over 2 years. She has been a saint. We have two beautiful children, and i want to be there for them. I have also stopped drinking, although i know the drinking was dependent on the hyrdos. Last few days have been horrible, as anyone knows who has gone through this. Much better today, but sleeping is still difficult, and depression still pretty bad. I ran 4.5 miles yesterday in blistering heat, and plan on Spin/Yoga today. looking forward to seeing how i feel in another day or so, but i am determined to make it. Good luck all of you. These things are poison, and are destroying so many lives its sad.
ask your doctor for neurontin . its what they use to help addicts of painpill and heroine  and alcohol withdraws when they go into rehab. my husband is taking it to withdraw from his clonipin.. and in the treatment cycle he decided to detox and stop drinking and it has been AMAZING in helping the symptoms. and the price of it without insurance is VERY aafforable. i wish you the best luck