Hydrocodone withdrawl
I want to withdraw from Hydrocodone. I've been on pain meds steadily for 2 years. A year and a half ago, I came off cold turkey from Percocet which I had been using for 6 weeks. It was the worst experience of my life.  Physical symptoms were horrible, but the depression was worst.  I have always struggled with depression and take effexor. I have used the drugs to self-medicate. Lately i've been taking Vicodin ES.  It no longer gives me that HAPPY feeling just keeps me going.  I am a married mother of two school age children.  Is there an alternative to  a detox center?  I still have the viocdin, could I gradually wean off of them if I enlisted some outside help.  I would rather die than face that debilitating depression again. My husband is aware of my problem and has been supportive. What about Clonodine; i've heard things about the patch.  Last time I withdrew I was up and around again on the fourth day.  I know that wouldn't be the case this time.  I know that I will need help to stay clean, but for now, I'm simply worried about the withdrawl and my children.  Please help if you can.
Thank you.
I have become addicted to any/all painkillers i could get a prescription for.  It all started with really bad pelvic pain I was having for 5 months, at the same time trying to mend a marriage so although i needed the pills for legitamite pain I started abusing them pretty much right from the start.  Finally they did surgery and removed all these adhesions responsible for the pain, however they cut into a major blood vessel which caused extreme pain and prolonged my healing time, the doctor had me on Norco and Percocet.  Nevermind it seems everyone I know had pills to give me and of course I always acted like I was running low so I could keep my stock up.  I have built up quite a tolerance, this is isn't the first time i have dealt with this but i have one last prescription for  60 vicodin and since i know i don't have the will power to wean off i am giving them to my sister to wean me off, my question is how should I do it since i was taking probally 20-25 pills a day, should i start out at 10 a day and then go down slowly or is it better to go right down to 4 a day, I just want to reduce those horrible side effects as much as possible.  I have two young girls and can't be a mess for them.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated and it is so nice to know I am not alone.
Hello, I've been taking norco 10/325 3-4 times a day for the past 3 years for lower back pain.  It came to a point where I just didn't want to go on worryingabout the next refill and to deal with the pain through otc meds.  My day was ruled by the 3-4 hour time spans and the next dosage.  There were times I could go up to 6 hours without to much problem as long as I stayed active (running, swimming, walking, etc.)  Because of that I thought I could cold turkey and sweat it out.  After all I quit smoking cold turkey after 20+ years so I could deal with this as well.  After 12 hours I was full into wd symptoms...runny eyes and sinuses, allergy sensitivity, and the worst feeling of restlessness you can imagine.  The worst was trying to sleep as I would just toss and turn all night.  I finally caved in and got back on the meds.  Determined, the next day I decided to taper and read the forums looking for tapering methods and systems.  I decided to do my own time table according to how long I could deal without taking a dose and kept lengthining the time between doses.  Along the way I would try to cut down the amount as well using a pill splitter.  It's been 1 week and today I managed to get by the day without taking any meds.  Trying to sleep has been maddening!  Laying still seems to accentuate the restless feeling in my arms and I toss and turn until I give up and take a dose.  So I'm hopeful in the next few days I can stop altogether.  I just want to be a normal person again!  Here's some advice for those who want to try it this way.

Take "grace222" doctors timetable or modify to what you can tolerate
Stick to a timetable.  Try not to stretch out times between dosage because you're feeling good because it will catch up to you later.
Keep physically active.  I find walking for about 20 minutes really helps the physical part.
I've read on a forum "slower the lower" i.e. the lower the dosage the longer the timeframe
Don't feel bad if you backslide by not waiting for the next dose, just be more determined to keep at it
Time it so your last dosage is at bedtime so you can at least relax going to bed and fall asleep

Good luck to all.  Wish me luck I've just got one more hump to go over.
I have been off of alcohol for 12 years but had a car accident and have been on Hydrocodone for 2 years now.  I break 10mg tabs in half so 5mg every 2 hours so I don't know if I am fooling myself by taking "half" a pill twice as often.  It does nothing anymore but keeps me from getting sick.  I am scared to death but know the program and once detoxed I can stay off of it through the program.  
  I am embarrassed to tell my Dr., who warned me, that I would get addicted because of my past.  Should I just admit that I did and get medication help or suck it up?  I have done it before for 12 hours and don't ever want to do it again.  Thank you all so much for being here/available.
I don't think that I have cried this much in a long time I have been a abuser of many drugs, I am in a marriage that is so shaky at the moment because of these pills we have two beautiful little girls, I stoped using 10 days ago and gave my husband the ultimate ultimatum either quit or its over hes doing so good. I feel for every single one of you as this thread is old I hope that most of you achieved your goals I pray that you did this is such a hard life I know I need prayers too and I know I could backslide any moment and on those days I just look at what my life had become my husband and I have done nothing but fight about these things for 4 years no talking no love just constant battle about where the next high is how much money we have to get them or better yet hiding what we have from each other he has spent the last 2 yrs no joke sleeping in his building not getting up for work gettting messed up then going to work all night he is a construction worker it is amazing how fast the addiction happened as if overnight many days i just wake up and hurt all over still I just went out and got all the vitamins posted above I hope it helps im so sluggish all day not so good with a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old anyways to all those like me and mine we will get through this to another day where the sun is not too bright for us and we can smile and hold our heads up high till then one step forward one day at a time and remember GOD still loves us and he is there holding us even when we have no one else he is there and so am I
Hello there people.  Just another addict here but I should introduce myself, I'm a mother of 2, work part time, going through a friendly divorce.  I've been on hydrocodone for almost 2 years for legitimate back pain that seems to be getting progressively worse.  Normally, I take 3-4 500mg hydros a day, since the pain is getting worse I've been self-medicating with more...breaking my 500's into two so I can take 750mg doses.  Today is my first day without it and withdrawals suck, not to mention my back hurts.  Headache, tremors, runny nose, anxiety, excessive yawning, and I just feel so run down and tired.  My family knows I take these meds, but I don't think they realize how bad it makes you feel when you stop...especially when you stop cold turkey because you ran out and are afraid to call the doctors office because you don't want anyone to think you're an addict.  Your stories are all inspiring and I wanted to thank you for sharing them with those of us who need help and support to get through those first days.  I hope I make it and can treat my medications resposibly in the future, because I'll be on them for a while.    
I have been on Hydro 10/325 for over 5 years taking them as prescribed. I hate these pills and need them due to very painful inoperable back issue. I have three small kids that want dad to play and sledride and due the soccer thing. Its just not doable without some assistance with pain meds. Well, I made the decision last Sunday that I am done and if I have to walk with a cane again, so be it. I have cold turkeyed it for 3 days now and am starting to feel a little better. I really don't want these drugs but the doc says I may need them forever along with Therapy and possibly a cane at times. Well, my by back hurts like hell but I can see clearly again.

JM
I am a functioning woman who loves vicodin.  It started after the birth of my babygirl with 1 a day.  22 months later I could take 15 a day (5mg).  I "wean" off with codeine cough meds.  But I will be able to get more vicodin soon.  I can go a few weeks without them, but I miss them and the way they make me feel -- alive - awake - funny - without them I am tired, quiet and not as playful.

Thougths?
24 hours since I popped 3 750 mg hydrocodones.  I am not sure I can do this, I suffer from depression and it is creeping up on me slowly.  I have  kids, and now when I pop a pill it is only to feel normal, I keep looking for that high but it does not exist . I am tired of ruining my body and the lives of my family. I am ashamed to tell my husband what I am really feeling right now, he thinks I have a cold, how could anyone be there to help me get through this. I am ashamed, my bones are cold, i have a splitting headache, my back is killing me and I am sweating and have to take so many trips to the bathroom.    How do I go about getting help, I have kicked it before and suffered the pain, again my husband has no idea, but my problem is using again, which is what I really want right now. Where do I seek help from others who wont judge. I cant afford rehab and there is no way I can leave my kids. any opinions  any one in the so ca area.
I am a 21 year old girl with a 40 pill a day habit. I'm graduating from college in May (well, hopefully now), I have an internship at a very reputable news station, and I had big dreams. I couldn't wake up in the morning without eating 7 vicodin a day. it started just a few about 2 years ago, just on thursdays when i'd have fun with my boyfriend watching movies, playing games, etc. But then, i needed it more and more, and I couldn't take the 750 mg any more because there was too much tylenol in the them. I went on the hunt for norcos and only norcos. In Oct 2009 I got clean for 30 days and then picked up again. Narcotics Anonymous was the only was for me to stay clean, but I wanted that "warm & fuzzy" feeling back again so bad that I threw away the days on the couch that I missed class and work and took suboxone and xanax to sleep. I f****d it all up by picking up just 4. As they say in the meetings though 1 is too many and a thousand never enough. That started me off again and now i haven't taken anything in 19 hours. I am miserable. I know how long this lasts. I know all about detox, but I'm feeling so resentful because I want to feel good again. I don't want to hurt right now.
First and Foremost I would like to thank my higher power whom I call God for helping me with my addiction! I was on Vicodin for about two months on and off, got hooked, I am now on my fourth day of quitting cold turkey. It was not easy coming off those dam pills either the withdrawal systems is to die for I thought at times, however I finally got through with prayer and sweating, not eating, hot and cold flashes all those bad withdrawal systems that come with that devil drug. I will pray for anyone who is coming off the pill and pray that you stay off it also, I know its not easy but please keep the faith you can do it I am a living witness of this and I am 44yrs old. Pray keep the faith and let go and let God!! Have a Blessed day and God Bless You All
I'm on day 2 I have beed on hydrocodone for a while now! I can take anywhere from 30mg-50mg at a time maybe 3x a day I'm very scared right now :( I have chills sweating achy cranky all kinds of crap going on an I'm worried to death I will have a heart attack or something else bad happen! I have 3 beautiful children an I just want away from this crap I hate being this way if it wasn't for my husband being my biggest supporter idk what I would do! This is so embarrassing! Can anyone give me an advice or how long this will last? Any info would help thanks!!
Loving,

This is a really old post. Try to start your own post.
First Congrads on ending the cycle!
You won't have a heart attack! Think of it as having the flu. It will last about a week depending how much and how long. You will need a few things. Something to help with
the stomach issues, Some advil, or what ever you take. Keep posting. Just remember this will pass!

Terry
This is day one for me and I am feeling just horrible!!!!!!!! I took my last two hydrocodones last night and I have absolutely no energy :( This is rough I have had a hydrocodone addicition for over 4 years, and it has gotten to the point to where I don't even want to get up in the mornings to walk across the room to get into my stash and feel better. I am a single mom of 2 very young children my daughter is 4 and my son will be 2 next month but even worse my addiction is soooo bad that I recently gave birth to another little girl 6 months ago and I gave her up for adoption because I couldn't afford to support her and my addiction. I currently live with my grandparents and my mother who helps me with my kids but one of my biggest problems right this second asides the horrible pains is that all 3 of them are prescribed to hydrocodone 10's and there is almost always a full supply of them in the house they each get 120 and my grandfather gets 120 hydro 10's and 120 hydro 5's and my grandmother also gets morphine patches and my mother gets 120 tramadols well my grandmother has handed me 3 pilld today and i have immediately handed them to my mom so I am doing my best to kick this out the window :( but OMG I had no idea it would be this hard but it's starting to effect my kids and I don't have a choice anymore I have to do this....
Manda ... Are you still here?  I was just wondering how you are doing.  Its for the best what you are doing.  The best for you and the best for your kids.  I have faith in you.
Been doing 20 blues a day now for about 6 months. Got some saboxin from a friend and please be warned. This stuff is not a joke. Maybe if I would have gone to the dr to get the proper treatment, this would not have gone so bad. Shortly after putting two tabs under my tounge. I became real hot and had to empty my bowels. Of course I was in my car with no access to a bathroom. Finally made it home and the HELL continued for the next 3 days. Thats where I am now an am feeling kinda better. Please heed my warning, do not take saboxin without a doctor. And good luck to all that are hooked on these horrible pills.
Hi JJ...you should start your own post and talk with us. this one is very old and will get lost here. If you need help, let someone know.
I am currently weening myself off of hyrdo. I am 23 years old. I have been on them for two years. I don't know if I want to continue to ween myself off or just stop. I just want this to be over so that I can be normal and not feel like crap all the time. I think I could handle this if the stomach pains weren't so bad. Not to mention it is hard to sleep. I just don't know what to do. I really wish I could go to that Florida detox center that detoxs you within 3 days. That would be awesome but I know that I couldn't afford it. Who can afford it these days. Plus I want to know that I can overcome this. I just want it to be over but I am only on day 3!!!! I should be completly off of them with in 27 more days but that is so long. I don't have anyone to talk to about this. The people that I try to talk to it about they have never been through it and they say that it's stupid for me to be hurting this bad. But they don't understand. Whre do I go for someone to respond to me. Please help me!!!
-
Welcome!! This original post is over 9 years old..............these people aren't here anymore. Go to the top of the page and hit 'post a question' (green button) or the blue words that say  'back to forum'.....this will get you to the current forum. This old post will get archived and you don't want your cry for help to be lost in the shuffle.

Keep posting and stay strong
Greatgreebo
well been on lortabs for 4 yrs was taking 7 to 8 up to 10 pills a day was relaxed but could noy function in my fast pace job i went cold turkey for 1 week now i turned it over to god he will pull me through this with all his faith.today is a good day ive beat the addiction but cannot sleep 4 hours a night .i flip in bed like a fish ivewalked trails through out the house but my body is feeling better .man it was rough though after day 3 iwas over the urge take alot of vitamins drink plenty fluids and pray all you can pray to our heavenly father above and he will guide you through this like he says he will never lay on us more than we can handle .so people have faith and give up addiction man life gets better and clear every day know.
I'm fighting a 5 year, 10-15 pill a day Vicodine habbit. I'm very proud to say that i am 18 days clean. The withdrawal was miserable but necessary if I wanted to see my only daughter grow up. She's a year and a half old and the love she shows me is worth more than any pill or withdrawal symptom. I understand what all of you are going through, and unfortunately only you can take that final stand and face your fears of withdrawal. I hate to be so forward but there's only two choices in this horrible situation. Face withdrawal or Die. I found the strength to do it on my own but not everyone can endure that pain. If you can't, please seek help, cuz you can't keep living this way. ONE WAY OR ANOTHER IT WILL COME TO AN END.
i am not an addict of viciden or hydrocodon, i also dont judge if you are one. I just had surgury and was told to take 2 500s every 4 hours and i can see how that stuff can become VERY addictive. After a week straight of taking that stuff every 4 hours I suddenly stopped and I dont know if its just me but i came down with a fever and felt horrible so Im pritty sure it was the pills I was withdraling from. Anyways I hope your still reading because there is this new stuff that 100% legal on the market called kradom. I not sure if I spelled this right but if you og to must smoke shops they will have it. Its a powder that you make into tea that has a mild viciden like effect. If you are coming off pills like hydrocodon or viciden buy some of this and try it to wean off the drug. kradom is ment for this ive been told by alot of people! try this if you want to quit! good luck, you can do this.
I have been reading all kinds of post during the last few days concerning withdrawals. I am now able to post myself. I have been taking lortab 10mg for months. And of course not as directed. Let me back up. I have a bulging disk and was seeing a doctor for this. So of course he prescribed this medication. But I found that one every four hours was just not cutting it. So more and more....then I said to hell with that. Called him and he prescribed Tramadol. Thought it was safe. NOT!  Took 120 pills in two weeks. Now I am on day 5 of withdrawals. I think yesterday was the worst. Night sweats, anxiety, twitching, this crazy "fog", and God awful muscle pains. Not to mention having to go to the bathroom every hour. But I woke up this morning feeling ok. Slept ok last night. I confessed to my husband and my parents yesterday.  And let me say that it helps to admit I had a problem and to say it out loud. It makes it real. I am craving some because I know just one will make this go away. But I am stronger than that. I have come to far to go back. If you are wanting to stop this horrible problem with addiction,just know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Everyday is going to be better.
Hi folks.  I've been on varieties of codeine for over a year after I was thrown from a horse in remote mountain range  and had to ride two hours on the horse until we fell below the tree line and the radio worked and I could be airlifted out.  Broke six transverse processors, but there's no surgery for that and suffered  disc damage.  
After much physical therapy, etc. I was deemed a success story and avoided fusing of three discs....even if they had done the surgery they couldn't promise the pain would go away because of the other breaks.  Surgery with a LONG recover and no promise of reduced pain?!  It was a nightmare.
The awful truth is I love the way the hydrocone makes me feel happy and pain-free.  Like the posts I've read, of course, it continues to take more and more of them to get the same feeling and to make the pain subside.  
The day before Thanksgiving I was about out of pills  I missed my 30 day med checkup doctor appointment due to my son's illness .....I almost didn't put him first!  I called to reschedule my appointment But then the pain management group first opening was 9 day away!  I said, but gee, my meds have run out.  Sorry, we are already double booked.  "What am I supposed to do??"  The answer was if the pain is really bad we advise patients to go to the emergency room.  Huh?  For chronic back pain?  I couldn't imagine sitting with car crash victims and heart attacks because my back really hurt.
So, here I am surviving first  day without a pill and I feel like s***.  Like I have the flu.  Legs hurt, nose runny....what's THAT about.  My appointment isn't til Friday (it's Saturday).  And reading older posts here on this terrific site, I realize I should not ask for a refill because I am addicted, I abuse the drug, take more than prescribed.....really I just started that because my back pain was so daily, always with me making me irritable and snappy and I just want/ed my old life back:  a simple day without pain.  Is that too much to ask for?  
Due to IBS I can not take ibruprhen and certain other other the counter drugs.
But I'm also tired of popping pills, trying to figure out how to get enough.  Borrowed from friends.  had big dental problems and asked for scripts; my mom had surgery and didn't finish her script....I guess it sounds familar but I hate it.
So I'm thinking, why not stop NOW, if not now, then when?  I'm going to run out before I next see my pain management doc, so I feel I should put an end to what has become such a private nightmare.  (I hope, like some of you wonderful people here that I will discover that my back pain isn't as bad!!!  But what if it isn't?)  
When I have little pills lefts I tend to drink more (never a problem before!!!)  It's astounding what has happened to me.  A legitimate painful broken back and now I'm only happy with a full bottle of pills, this makes me feel safe.  
I could use tips for getting through detox.  I'm a single mom with three young teenage boys!  I have to stop, what kind of example would I be????
Help please.  Lost where I am.
Hi I just relized myself that I have problem, me and my husband have both been on hydrocodine for the past two years I want to be done with it but he still takes them witch makes pritty much impossible for me to quit any suggestions on what to do I could really use the help thanks.
Hello, I just came across this blogg looking for ideas and help on how to detox from norcos. i have been taking norcos and vicodin for the past 3 years due to car accident injury, to start with. After that I just continued to use just to just get through the day at work and home. I now take up to 12 a day. I am so sick of depending on meds to live my life. I have detoxed once before in 1 1/2 yr ago and was clean for about a month. The week long aggony I went through, is not something I can take again. I have to work. I have some valiums and muscle relaxers for bedtime but what about during the day? What can help me?
So final answer is 90 days of depression?! Wow I can bear the physical. Its the mental I can't take I'm glad there's othr ppl trying 2 get clean as well but honestly 3 months is unmotivating :(
Hi everyone, im a 22 year old mother of one. Ive been taking vicodin since I was 16 mainly for my excrciatiating menstral cramps. Recently my mother passed (an overdose on methadone) and ive been taking a lot more than normal. I have gotten off before and was clean for two months. I need to do this for my daughter! But the withdraw symptoms get worse everytime I try to stop. I get so scared because I am the onkt person my daughter has (dads a drunk, no other family) and I cant properly take care of her when im withdrawing. What should I do? See a doc? Or persue on my own? I desperatly need advice
Dear Friend,
Have you tried tapering?  Are you able to have the self-discipline to taper? Maybe if you were supported by me and others on this site? I have tapered to less than 1/3 of the dose of opiates I was on.  I am still in process, so I am not going to say I have the answer.  I will get through this with you though.  And so will my friends on this site.

I am so sorry about what you have gone through!  And I so encourage us to press forth, and to believe that God will bring us to the other side.  We need to relax into the process.  And know He will bring us there.  You aren't alone.

Although people on this site can't discuss the specifics of a taper plan, we will all share our hope with you.  Many people have come through addictions like ours.  Please take my hope that we will be free of these addictions!

Send my love and prayers.  Looking forward to hearing from you here or in a private message.
Marie
Please copy your post, and repost it so that a lot of people can respond to you.  More people will see it , and they will offer their help !  

Marie
Hi honey and welcome - I just tapered myself down and detoxed off years of hydrocodone use so I totally feel where you are coming from.  You CAN do this, you've recognized it and found your way here - that is a big step.  I chose not to speak to my doctor about this and taper myself down but everyone is different.  If you feel you can work with your doctor do it.  Set yourself up for success to do this, do you have a close friend or anyone that can help care for your daughter when you "come down with the flu"?  Just get a little creative if you feel you must do this alone.  I cut myself down progressively to 1 pill last Monday and that was it, by Tuesday I was feeling awful, Wednesday was awful and then every day it started to get a bit better each day.  Today is Day 10 and I'm so glad I did it.  I too, took for pain and I understand how hard this decision is - to try to face and deal with the pain unmedicated.  I'll be around all day today and most of tommorrow and then I have to go out of town for two weeks but know I'll be pulling for you!!! You can do this if you decide - you are worth it, your little girl is worth it.  
I have been addicted to codones now for 5 years... On a good day, I take 15 to 30 10's, bad days I can get by on 3 or 4... I know its a problem. I dont feel normal without them. When I stop my hands and feet swell, sweats, skin crawls, back aches etc... But the worst is the depression. I've turned suicidal twice now when I've tried to quit... I am a single father of three... I can't go away and get help to quit. I cant allow myself to loose it. I'm screwed...
Let me start off by telling you that there is one person who can change all this. Not sure how religious you are but if you believe in God, that's all you need. I have been addicted to vicodin for over a year. I know that getting through life was virtually impossible without them, But I learned even better,"that are things are possible through Christ!"  I used the tapering off method. What i felt I could push myself to do and I went by The Thomas reciepe. I researced all the vitamins your body needs to get back it's natrual andorfens. Lots of potassiun for the restless leg syndrom, l-thyrosine for the mental focus and b6, zinc and cooper. Hot showers help so much with the aches and restlessness also. My family support was very helpful. I knew in order for me to beat this and let the devil win I had to come free by telling the people I loved the most that I had a problem. "Whom the son sets free is free indeed" So here I am new to this, day 5 of tapering off and today woke up feeling great. I'm not completely off the hook but where I was taking 12 vics a day I am now down to 1/2 pill every 15 hours. Praise God! It is all because of God's good graces. I gave it to him and prayed evertime I experienced the withdrawls. The restlessness the aches. Everytime he brought me out of it and gave me comfort in knowing he is fighting my battle for me.

For anyone I knwo the struggle. I know the withdraws and I also know that without God on your side the enemy will not let you go freely.God is wanting to help you you just need to ask him. God bless!
Hello to all, Its been 3 days of detoxing and its been a B@#*!. For me the first 1 day was the worse. Today is my 3rd day. I'm feeling much better. I have been off and on, on  Hydrocone 750 mlg. I have also been on Tramadol from two different doctors, For the first time I told my wife of my problem and shes been very supportive. I hate this DRUG! I'm an ADDICT, I'm not proud but you need to let the ones you love know that you have a problem and that you need their help. We need to stop lieing to ourselfs. Its an ugly disease and we all need help. I thank everybody for all of the help given and the support. Be strong and thruthfull with yourself and everybody around you, especially your family. May God be with you all. Thank you all again.
Please get professional help with this. Your kids need you. The cocktail of drugs you are describing are dangerous. Recovery programs after detox are just as important. Take what you can get in recovery. The one that meets your needs will come in time. The drugs you are taking induce depression.
I'm prescribed 180 norco 10's for back and endometriosis ... Well I've been taking 4 a day for almost 2 years and for last 6 months or so 5 or 6 a day . Well I'm.out and I can't refill for exactly a week from today, My last dose was yesterday morning I had 1 1/2 and started filling withdrawls I had some left over ultrams took 3 and made it thru the day but of course no sleep and then the leg and lower back pain was unbearable and I just want to sleep! I also have buspirone took 1 in middle of night think I got maybe hr sleep I also have muscle relaxers .. I'm a mom to 2 toddlers so I have to be able to function but after this if I make it thru it I never want to take them again ! I'm tires of needing them to feel normal I get no buzz , I have bad pain but I can deal with that over this and being dependant on something . I'm just wondering with what I've been taking how bad and how long should the withsrawls last? And also will the meds I have work and help? I don't have many ultrams or flezirils but do have plenty buispoirne ... And what can I take to have energy and feel good! I got the Thomas recipe .. does the l tyrosine help energy? Thanks everyone , I love reading on this forum I just hope I make it thru this and not tKs no more
I just joined this site after reading post's from 2002, I have been taking all kinds of Opiates for three years, I have arthritis and always have pain in my legs, lower back and hips. I have been in the hospital several time for it and pain meds is always the answer, but now its out of control and I dont want to lose my marriage because of this. I have an incredible husband, my first love, first everything. It troubles him and its causing him to not want this marriage any more. I am prescribed 180 Hydros a month and I finish them in 5 days. I cant go to a rehab because I work in Mental Health.......yes! can you imagine, and my speciality is domestic violence and "Substance Abuse" I know I can wean off gradually and safely take what I need to without abusing them, I need to take four to six a day not 20-30 a day. Why? Wy do I do it? it's a vicious cycle, I am sad or upset, over worked, over whelmed, feel alone and I take a hand full of pills to make it easier to deal with. There is no more euphoria and if i want that feeling I have to take 10 at one time, I can take two to not feel any withdrawl pain, so why dont I stick to that? I dont know! I like that feeling of haveing all of the energy and getting everything done I need to do. But this is not the way. I am better than this and I know it. I can do this, I need a support system....

I know if I stop this reckless behavior my husband will see it and hopefully get closer to me again, that is what I am hoping for, but I am not doing it for him, I am doing it because this is not the right thing to do or the way I want to live. I want to be responsible. I have felt the pain of withdrawl and wanted to die. I was sent to pain management and they gave me Oxycontin and Roxy's and I stopped going, I was afraid of those meds and refused to take them. Now I will only take Hydro and usally 10/500 or 5/500, but I stay away from everything else. A choosy pill taker...

I have joined this site to get support form others who are going through this and beat it, for words of support and encouragement. It's 4:59am, and at wake up time I am going to start day one. I plan on taking 1 10/325 every eight hours and wean down with adding some potassium and Lysine 500mgs. Any one out there who can lend me a hand through these next day would be an angel to me. I plan on sitting in the sun most of the day and keeping busy trying to read or take half of a .05 of a xanax to help with the stress of it. I am not afraid, FEAR is False Evidance Appearing Real......I just need to do it......Wish me luck and if I can get to day 7, that will be a miracle....

The best to all,
Kind Regards...
Hey there, I just joined this site and read your post, how are you coming alone? I shared my story below, perhaps we can reach out and share some support...

Wishing you the very best, be strong....
I just joined this site and I have been reading your post's, please let me know how your coming along. I have shared my story and hope with support, encouragement and determination I can get through this. I am happy to be a listner and reach out to you....

Wishing you the best....
Isis
I'm brand new at coming out with my addiction to Norco 10-325's. It has literally ruined my life and I want it GONE!! The withdrawals are absolutely miserable...my back and legs are a mess and all I can think about is how 3-4 of em will take care of the pain! But I will not put them in my mouth ever again! I've come clean with my mom and boyfriend and it's definately gonna be a day by day experience but I know I can beat this! I'm a strong girl!!
Hey...I'm a professional, but used Oxy and Hydro to manage back pain for 7 years.  I got tired of sitting in my pain doctor's office every month to get my scrip and confirm that I was not having any relief.  My wife was aware and kept supportive, but I was consumed with watching the clock all day to get my next dose.  I heard about a doctor in Houston who worked with outpatient detox programs transfering from vicodin etc to suboxone.  It took about 3-4 months to wean off but eventually I was able to...but my chronic pain (perhaps the lingering effects of the detox) persuaded me to seek a pain doctor who was all too willing to put me back on oxycodone.  I struggled again with the addiction, and oh no one suggested that I quit the bottle of wine I drank every night.  The addiction symtoms were more debilitating than the back pain so I went back to the doctor for a 2nd suboxone regimine.  I thought I'd never get weaned off entirely.  It tood a huge leap of faith.  Still enjoyed my wine at night.  after headaches nausea, ringing in ears, I was going to an MRI at the doctor's advice when it hit me...doy....it's the dependence on the wine.  I stopped the wine cold turkey..quit the daily ambien and been clean since.  I miss the wine dinners and the social aspects but the relief of being off of the opiods is just awesome.  It's been almost 3 years now...and the first time I can write about it...but I feel like I'm on the road to recovery.  For you users that watch the clock all day to see if you can pace yourself to the next dose...I was like you trying to keep my career going.  I was very fortunate not to lose everything.  My back still hurts like hell (I've had 3 spinal fusions) but I'm clean and that means a lot.  It's worth working towards.  For you that are struggling with it....I encourage you to find a doctor how will manage your care with Suboxone..few know about it including my back doctor...but it saved my life.  Keep at it.
I am an addict. Hydros 10/325, though not as many daily as some here, yet 10-12 per day is substantial enough. Without going into details it started with severe back and neck herniations.

I have detoxed from these at least 5 times over the last few years.  3 times cold turkey, two other times with the help of a Dr. on a Suboxone regiment.

Some of the detox examples that others go through is concerning, not for me, but for those who are new to detoxing. It's certainly not fun to detox but it's not entirely the hellish commentary some have proclaimed here. I guess everyone is different.
You will get the cold sweating, chills, bowel issues for sure and aching muscles, for me they happened at night.. There will be general lethargic feelings too and possibly mood swings. The best thing to do is take a week off of work. You should notice a difference around day 3-4. Day 7, at least for me is the beginning of the new me.

If you go into this thinking you will be depressed, you will be depressed. The psychological dependency of these drugs is the toughest part of breaking away from them. Drink plenty of water, take hot baths. Take hot baths all day if you have to for aching muscles. Take vitamins.

If you afraid to go it alone then get to a Dr. that prescribes Suboxone, they really do work. Valium helps but not recommended with Suboxone unless prescribed in conjunction with Suboxone, and if you do not have access to Valium then OTC sleep aids help as well. It will be a long week for you but well worth the time. Imodium for bowel problems is recommended.

Disclaimer: Going cold turkey is not recommended by physicians. It is possible to change brain chemistry. The best way is to seek treatment or to wean yourself off if possible.

God Bless
I think I am an addict, but not sure how bad. I am on percocet 5/325 & take 3 or 4 a day. I have chronic pelvic pain due to adhesions & have arthritis. I cant wait to take my next percocet. I am SO afraid I will run out. I dont mean to sound like a wimp. Compared to the problems alot of people are dealing with....I also suffer from major depression & am on an anti-depressant. The only thing that makes me feel better is my percocet. Ive tried SO many anti-depressants & no matter what dosage they give me, it doesnt help that much. Recently, my doctor also gave me Lorazapam to sleep. Now I cant fall asleep without it. I am an addictive mess...thanks for any replies.
I have been taking Roxys for over a year and I'm day 11 clean right now the withdrawals are the worse and I'm day eleven and still haven't slept none at night! But tapering I tried too it made it worse because I kept putting them in my system of you have support then let them keep you strong and just pray that ls what I do every night! I have talked to professionals already and they said that honestly time is all it takes you just have the will power to stop and I will pray for you and hope you can do it! God bless you and your family!
almost 72 hours now clean. I was taking about 100mg Hydro per day when i stopped cold turkey. My wife found my pills in my briefcase after she suspected i was high at dinner. I finally admitted to her that i am an addict, and have been for over 2 years. She has been a saint. We have two beautiful children, and i want to be there for them. I have also stopped drinking, although i know the drinking was dependent on the hyrdos. Last few days have been horrible, as anyone knows who has gone through this. Much better today, but sleeping is still difficult, and depression still pretty bad. I ran 4.5 miles yesterday in blistering heat, and plan on Spin/Yoga today. looking forward to seeing how i feel in another day or so, but i am determined to make it. Good luck all of you. These things are poison, and are destroying so many lives its sad.
ask your doctor for neurontin . its what they use to help addicts of painpill and heroine  and alcohol withdraws when they go into rehab. my husband is taking it to withdraw from his clonipin.. and in the treatment cycle he decided to detox and stop drinking and it has been AMAZING in helping the symptoms. and the price of it without insurance is VERY aafforable. i wish you the best luck
My name is Mike and I am 51 years old. My story begins many years ago when I was prescribed Hydrocodone for chronic back pain. As the years went by my the 5mg tablets weren't helping much so my doctor prescribed 10mg. My prescription was for 120 tablets a month, taking 4 tablets a day. After years my body wanted more....4 a day just wasn't enough. That's when I started buying pills off the streets, spending money I really didn't have....lying to my wife about where I was spending the money. Everyday I was thinking about getting more money to buy more pills. I even pawned some of my prized possessions just to get more pills. I was at the point that if I didn't take enough pills a day I would start having withdrawals. I'm ashamed to admit, but I was taking 15 to 20 Hydrocodone  10mg a day. A few weeks ago I hit rock bottom. I went to the doctor and confessed all to him and asked for help. He referred me to a substance abuse place that could help me. I made an appointment for that afternoon....and then called my wife....and confessed all to her. We cried together and thankfully she stood by my side to help me get through this mess I put myself in. We went to the appointment. A $70 co-payment and we spoke to a counselor, who recommended a doctor that could prescribe Suboxone. That would help me with the withdrawal symptoms. The only catch.....it was Wednesday and the doctor was on vacation until the following Tuesday. And, of course, I had no more pills. There was no other doctor that I could see that could help me. When we called to schedule the appointment for Tuesday we were told not to even bother because I would have gone through the withdrawals already so they wouldn't give me the medicine. We felt scared and alone. I had to do this without the help that I've begged for. My wife and I took 4 days off from work and the withdrawals began. The first two days were the worst. The muscle fatigue and sleeplessness were so bad. I could barely eat . The diarrhea was horrible. I kept thinking I wouldn't get through this, but each day I felt a little better. Today is day 11 and I'm doing so much better. I feel as if a weight has been lifted off my chest and I can  be happy again.  Each day I feel stronger and stronger. Yesterday we picked up my last refill from the pharmacy and we flushed them down the toilet. Gone in one flush! I am writing my story to encourage people to fight hard to get your life back. When I was feeling horrible my wife would read me stories from people that had been through this. Listening to those stories encouraged me to fight. It will get better. You can do this.  Best of luck to you.
That is awesome. Thanks so much for sharing your testimony. You are so right. It does help to hear other stories.
This is a very old thread.  Please go to the top of the page, cut and paste your post after click "ask a new question".  You will get a lot more responses that way :-)
Sometimes people with Chronic Pain have to live with pain pills. I developed fibromyalgia about two years ago after years of Chronic Fatigue.  My normal doc gave me pain pills, stayed on the because he had no treatment experience in either disease. Finally went to a specialist in July 2014, and after 5 months of various treatments I felt much better, and noain for the last month to six weeks. So I weaned down to 1-2 5 mg hydrocodone each day. Yes, there was a great temptation to use more, especially on the weekend. But I was tired of them keeping me up at night and then waking up sooooo tired.  I have been waiting for a period of time to detox.  I stayed home last Thursday and just did it. Taking Gabbapentin for the pain, and melatonin and Xanaz to sleep. Which has been hard to come by, but I'm on day three now and it's getting a lot better.  Not shaky and restless today, there is some pain but rebound pain, even for those who didn't start taking it for pain, is common.  But i felt like **** for so long before I would just take the pills, sometimes 4 10 s at once, to put me out of my misery. Thank God after 25 years I finally found a doc who could treat the core issues. I thought I might have to sell my business as I could hardly work. I make great money and am self supporting so my business is important to me. But anyway, wein, wein, wein.  My doc gave me a schedule for a 21 day period. I skipped ahead a bit, and did it a little faster. But I know the withdrawals would have been unbearable when I was taking 6-8 10s a day. You will be restless, shaky, nervous, sleepless, and have some aches and pains, but then you will be free.  I'm on day 3 and my head is so much clearer, and I'm excited to not have to be constantly worrying I'll run out of pills, or that I can't leave the house without 1 or 2 just in case the hebee Jennie's start to set it. It's FREEDOM!  And honestly, once I made  it thru day 1 I did NOT HAVE A DESIRE TO TAKE A PILL TO MAKE IT GO AWAY BECAUSE I KNOW THAT IS ******** ADDICTION TALKING AND IM TAKING MY LIFE BACK!  Good luck with your fight for YOU back.
My Mom married a young, talented and successful General Practice Doctor in 1953. She then had kids beginning in 1954. She had 5 kids total as was common in the 1950's.  Then Dad started giving her the pep pills that so many housewives took in the 1950's for energy. When they were outlawed she started taking painkillers to "be happy".  As barbituates were outlawed she switched to other things, ending up on Hydrocodone. She had no actual pain - just used them to get high until she died at 89 years old. As a result I never "had" a Mom. She never went to school events,  rarely left the house, never travelled, didn't cook, rarely cleaned (we had to hire someone) and I was often wisked off to a friends house for days when I was a kid when she OD'ed. She only cared about her pills, and threatened to divorce Dad if he didn't provide them. She never had any real health issues like cancer or other things that required pills. Her whole life was wasted on thousands of pills, which she traded for a potential happy family life.  She had great wealth but never spent it. She would lay in bed high until she died in 2010 of old age. My siblings and I resent the fact we came "second" after those pills. She couldn't be happy as a stay at home wife, married to a rich doctor? She never had to work and couldn't understand the problems normal people face with their jobs. She offered no support,  We now wish Dad had divorced her early and married a woman who was not an addict. Our lives would have been so much different. If your spouse is addicted do something, anything, just don't let it continue for 5 decades...
You've wasted your own life on self pity. That may not be the picture you are trying to make here but that's what I see when I read this. You have but one life to live, ALWAYS look for the good and you will find it! Life is too short to waste it on resentment, anger, and self pity.