Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Hydromorphone HCL 4mg? Killer drug?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hydromorphone HCL 4mg? Killer drug?

Hi, I have been on narcotic pain meds since 2007. First I was on Oxycodone 40mg a day. After a while it stopped working so I asked for something non narcotic for a change. They put me on 300mg of Ultram, and after 1 week of taking it I had a seizure. So they put me on Vicodin 40mg a day. The Vicodin was so far the best. Then I injured my back and the doctor gave me Hydromorphone HCL 4mg 3 times a day. After reading some posts here it seems that drug is very dangerous and I am not sure if I should just suck it up and withdraw from Vicodin cold turkey (gave back to Dr. to get the new Rx). For pain I'll keep taking Ibuprofen. Or should I give this new drug a chance. After Ultram I am scared to try anything new (new to me).
Please share your 2 cents if you have had experience with this. Thank you.
hi, i have been having back pain since i was 13 years old.  it sounds wierd for me to be talking to me abput me because i use this site for my brother, but i have been put on oxycotins, dureguseic patch, yhen they wanted to put me on the morphine pump and i went to un west virginia and they did radio freq abl on my si joint i had no pain for 3 months but also had no feeling, sothat lead to si joint bone fusion in both side and i also have scolisis now i'm in severe pain but i have it under control w/ 4 10 lotabs a day.  have you tried lortabs?  goodluck but try other things before the meds.    happy new year....................start off on the right foot........................
This sounds like more of a chronic pain question. The people here view everyone as an addict, mostly. You may not be an addict at all and just a serious chronic pain pt.and get the advise for an addict with chronic pain. Dilaudid is strong, very similar to heroin and stronger than morphine but not  all that deadly unless injected..Dilaudid and heroin are both made from morphine and aren't nearly as strong or effective taken orally as opposed to IV where these drugs are much more potent
I agree with mr.lucky to where this may be better answered by people dealing with chronic pain. Med Help does have a pain management forum. This forum may get you some better answers. At the top of the page click on "forums". It will bring up a list of all the forums that are available. Just look through them until you see the pain management forum. I'm sure you will get some great advice from people that have been prescribed it for pain. It is not very commonly prescribed so it may be difficult to find first hand knowledge on it. But I'm guessing you will find someone in the pain management forum that is currently using it and would be more than willing to answer any questions you have pertaining to it.
As for the post above that mentioned to try lortabs. They are the same as vicodin, just a brand name. Lortab come in 4 different strengths.....2.5mg, 5mg, 7.5mg, and 10mg. They also contain acetaminophen. So lortab will not work any differently than the vicodin you have been taking. As for the Dilaudid, I have never been prescribed it so I can't comment on it. I do know that it is a very strong narcotic pain reliever and is a derivative of morphine which many are.
Hope you can find the answers you are looking for. Best of luck with your pain. I'm also a chronic pain sufferer and know how difficult life can be at times.

Brian
I am a chronic pain person on hydromorphone 4mg there not that strong but you need to be a opioid dependent person before taking it or it can hurt I use it as a breakthrough pain med exalgo is my main drug for pain and it's the best I've had all the other drugs from Advil to exalgo and it's best by far u only have to take it once a day so it's easy to remember to take but u have to be dependent to use it to. There's a difference in dependence and addicted talk to your pain doc he knows best u might have to change a lot to find the right drug for you I'll tell u duragesic patchs ain't worth anything u can od on them easy one might last three days then one might release it all at once and u will know when this happens if u are awake I've been doing this since 2005 and it's a road I wouldn't want anyone to have to go down but best is talk to pain doc but durajesics are a pain in the butt to deal with and as for just stopping cold turkey don't do that u could have a stroke or worse.
Hi driver    This thread is almost 4 years old and the OP is no longer on the forum.  Just letting you know friend