Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
I am Through Detox...Now What?? ITS A LIFESTYLE CHANGE!!

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hey everyone...I just replied to a private message...but after reading it back to myself (yes, I am a self absorbed addict...haha), I realized that it may do folks some good for those of you that are asking yourself, "now what?", post detox.  This is what worked for me...and continues to make me feel better and better...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My true energy did not return for like 4 months...but please keep in mind that I messed around and relapsed like 10 times during that period.  I would take pills for like 7-10 days and then go off for 7, take for 5, off for 6...and so on.  I probably would have had normal energy by week 6-8, somewhere in there ( I finally quit for good in Mid  Feb after that stupid yo-yo cycle).  You will get it back...and when you do...LOOK OUT!!.  I haven't felt this good since high school...I have energy to do whatever I want...working two jobs...kids...me time...etc.  It is wonderful.

Yes, B-12 is wonderful...try drinking it down with some caffeine...it helps kick start the vitamins absorption into the body .  Also, get a Protein Shake, multi vitamin, veggie/fruit juices/pills.  I quit taking Tyrosine because of the jitters and let go of the 5 hour energy too.  It gave me a stomach ache and general made me feel lousy.  Stay away from foods that are high in fat and meaningless calories (rule of thumb...don't srink your calories...hard, I know...I LOVE SODA!!).  I don't eat much bread, stay away from fast food, and sweats during the day.  The natural route takes time...because the good chemicals need to build up in your system...but when they kick in, WOW.  Here is my schedule...

~ Upon waking...B-12 and Fish Oil #3 and eat a piece of fruit
~ About an hour later...Protein Shake
~ At noon...a light but high energy lunch/snack and another b-12 (sometimes I cut in half because they are time released)...bigger bang...well, for a vitamin anyway.
~ About 3...a bigger snack...usually a meal that I split and eat last half for dinner.  Generally pasta with a lean meat...fish, turkey burger, chicken, tuna.
~ At night...a nice little reward...ice cream and cookies (Sandies, anyone??)...gotta have my fix!!  

Like I said...it takes a bit of time (like anything that is done right) but it works and I promise, you will feel better than you ever have and your energy, although there are no crazy peaks...will rise to a good level and be maintained the entire day.

Hope this helps...remember, recovering is MUCH more than the initial detox...it is a lifestyle change!!

P.S.  taking those good pills...actually relieves the craving to "pop".  Like my brain is saying...ok, not as great, but still cool that I get to pop something that makes me feel good!!  You start feeling sooo good...you don't want to mess it up...and that is addicting in itself!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have a great day ya'll...I hope this helps.

~ Free
Hi~  You sound great and congratulations on your clean time.  I agree,the vitamins help a lot...

Are you,also,doing aftercare? NA or something like that?

Vicki  xo
Oh yeah...and most importantly...I attend AA/NA meetings every day, and am working the steps with a sponsor!  Even on days I don't want to go...I leave there smiling!!

~ Free
I thought you were probably going...you sound that good!!!

Great post~~
V.
That was GREAT information.You are right about the need to pop a pill...the vitamins help to satisfy this urge and are good for you.I find the urges less and less.In my case i still take tylenol extrastrength and ibuprofen for pain,but the pain is much less and I need the tylenols much less.I notice pain relief within an hour.
I still take the vitamins but I have included vitamin D 2000U and Coenzyme Q10 100mg daily.
Your attitude is so positive and it shows in your posts
Looks like you are making up for past mistakes by working 2 jobs and making yourself useful That should also help your financial situation.
Good for you  and you are a good example that determination makes anything possible.