Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
I need help getting off oxy and percocet

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I was on oxycodone for about three years after breaking my neck in the military and having a few surgeries.  My physical pain is now better and i've been trying to get off the oxcy's so my doctor gave me percocet today.  10/325 3-4 times per day.  I want to be off of these completely and am seeing a different doctor on Monday but found this forum and thought I could get some help and support here.  

So where do I begin?  Do I just stop.  I tried and the sweats and no sleeping, body aches was horrible.  I was thinking of tapering down slowly for a few weeks and then stopping completely.  Is that the right way to do this?  
I agree that that is a pretty severe cut for a taper, the most successful tapers are slow and deliberate...after all, the idea is to minimize any symptoms as much as possible.  Dropping so much is not conducive to avoiding w/d symptoms.

I'm so sorry you're feeling forgotten and alone.  That's a shame.  I know the VA system isn't always the best, and that's terrible.  If we cannot take care of the very people taking care of us, then what's the point?  Sheesh!

Please keep looking for a support group, I think that would be so helpful for you!  Have you asked a superior in your area (local branch of the service?) about a group?  Have you asked the social services dept of the VA hospital?

So sorry you're going through this...you're not alone here, that's for sure.  
Hi and welcome. There really isn't a right way or wrong way. Most ppl can't taper bc we can't stick to it. Read the Thomas recipe and get the things in tht. It will help a lot with the wds .
Hey bulldog in florida....welcome to the forum!!  Glad you're wanting to get free of the pain pills.  The taper vs. cold turkey (ct) question.....that's VERY a very individual decision....but of course, in an IDEAL world (ha) and depending on you and your make up....tapering is the best because when you finally DO cease taking ANY narcotic med, your body will have adjusted to a lower dose.  If you have the time and enough pills to do it, a slow taper is always best....getting your body used to a reduction amount and level out before you reduce the amt in your body yet again.  Since you got the percs from one dr and are seeing another on Monday, I'd recommend talking to the dr Monday about your desire to eventually get off them completely and see if you get some help there.  I'm the type of person that could NOT wean below a certain amount, cause if I had the pills, they'd end up in my mouth HA!  So, when I decided to jump off ct, I begged my hubby to "get them outta here" LOL  And he did that for me.  You can't take something you don't have.
If you discuss you desire to come off narcotic pain meds w/your dr., more than likely you will receive help.  (not always, but the dr's worth their salt will be proud of you and WANT to assist you in getting off them in the least painful way as possible.) Once again, that's in an IDEAL world LOL

At the bottom r.h. corner of this page are some health pages that will teach you a lot about what you are fixin to do.  The revised Thomas Recipe is touted A LOT and you can pick and choose what works for YOU.  
Welcome aboard.....and thank you for your service to our country.....I appreciate my FREEDOM....not only by living here in the USofA....but now my freedom from pain meds!!  
Blessings to you~
No....on the Tramadol.....it IS addictive.....and IS a synthetic opiate/antidepressant combo med.  Can be one of the hardest pain meds to w/draw from!  Many, way too many, doctors don't have a clue!

We have MANY people on this forum fighting their addiction to Tramdol.

Check it out......and don't replace oxy's and/or percs w/Trams....PLEASE!!!
I am hoping someone will answer this, I think it makes a difference.

If you taper, are you just avoiding the 5 day physical stuff, or does it help with the energy/mental/after stuff?

Cause the 5 days was easy compared to after. So if tapering only helps physical wds, why draw it out? Curious and have never seen that answered when people ask ct or taper.

Ty. Good luck bulldog!
    It has to depend on the person and their reaction to it. Tramadol is actually much easier to come off of then Percocet or Oxycodone. You can't compare Tramadol to either of the medication that he's been taking. It's much weaker than both of them. Doctors surprisingly, here in Cali, wright up Tramadol prescriptions to help get off of narcotics, because Tramadol isn't a controlled substance. It's his choice though, I suggest weaning off I just know of someone who was able to get off narcotics by taking Tramadol then was able to stop those without any withdraws. Just my experience with it though.
    You're not exactly avoiding them, you're just making them easier so if you're staying busy that keeps your mind off of it and then the physical withdraws are less noticeable.
I have always been a taper girl.  I am not sure why I have always been able to do it, but I would put my pills in one of those daily med sorters.  It may draw out the physical symptoms, but for me it helped having a few "practice" days, lol.  You still feel discomfort, but its not as severe as going cold turkey or maybe it helped enable to be adjust mentally.  

But to answer your question the energy/mental/after stuff can last a LONG time in varying degrees, good days and bad days, less frequent as time goes on.  It helps me to remind myself that it is a normal part of healing.
Thanks greatsescape. I have wondered what tapering really does. If it helped with more than acute withdrawls.

As for Tramadol, in several states it is a controlled substance, with more adding it. Seems the medical community is just becoming aware of tram abuse and how hard withdrawls are.
LeaAnn.....ImDoneNoMore....Teresa??????  Tram warriors????
Help here please.....
Thanks everyone for the help and support.  You have no idea how much this has helped.  I'm going to taper.  I have been taking my prescribed dosage only and last month when I asked my current doctor if I could get off of them he just lowered the monthly amount by 10 and then today he said to just stay on them.  After no being able to fill my script I asked pharmacist what I should do and she recommended the percocet.  So I went back to my pain doctor and he have me a new script for percocet.  I don't have oxy's anymore.  I am just taking Percocet 10/325, 3 times per day.  I will taper those down as suggested. I'll also look up the apple cider vinegar cleanse and Thomas Recipe.  

Thanks again.  I'll keep you posted.  
J, You were a big help.  Thanks for taking the time to write all that and explain things a little better.  
I don't think my current doctor wants to get me off the meds.  He's a Pain Clinic Doctor.  So I'm really looking forward to seeing the new doctor on Monday to help me.  She takes a holistic approach according to the friend who referred me to her.  Thanks for your help and advise.
I took tramadol before.  It did nothing for me.  So I won't be taking them.  Thanks for the help.
GOOD choice bulldog.  Taking tramadol for withdrawal is not a good idea (sorry, but it's not).  Worse drug when it comes to withdrawal.  Just read the forum, you'll find a gazillion horror stories here when it comes to tramadol withdrawal.

I'm relieved to hear you won't be going that route.  Good luck to you and good luck with the taper.  Also great that you have a new Dr. you'll be seeing on Monday.  Keep us posted!  :)
Doing the taper.  Feel like crap.  Mostly slept today but have to shower and get some work done.  The depression is the worst. The spa is very helpful.  I can do this.  Opened up to a local friend and he opened up to me about what he's going through.  Nice to have some local support.  My significant other is also a huge help.  One day at a time.  Appetite is very low.  I need to force myself to eat.  I can do this.  
How did the new dr visit go today?  Were you able to go?
Seeing new doctor on Thursday.  Didn't sleep much.  I am so tired and have to work.  I can't imagine going cold turkey.  I'm tapering every six hrs but had to take one at 4 hr this morning.  Working and then coming home to nap.  This is really tough.  
I need to get some cranberry juice and other stuff that was recommended.  I tried to eat dinner but couldn't.  Coffee this morning taste great.  I can do this.  
I just wanted to lend my support and say thank you for your service!  

Sounds like you've got an excellent mind set, that's half the battle!  If you weren't abusing your meds (which it doesn't sound like you were), you won't need any kind of aftercare for addiction...you just need to taper off the medication.

If I can ask...what was the dose you were on?  Because Percocet IS oxycodone, only with tylenol in it.  I was just curious how much you were taking.

Best to you!
First, many thanks for your service.  I haven't looked @ every response.  If you're only physically dependent then you probably won't have trouble tapering.   I tapered from huge doses of many drugs.  It certainly wasn't simple.  It should be very slow, letting your body  get used to the lower dose.  If you're misusing your  medication, then tapering may be much more difficult.  Giving them to someone to give to you is a great plan.  Get the stuff mentioned in the Thomas recipe; it will help.      
I think you're tapering too fast.  The key to  tapering is to go slow.  I went too fast & wound up in the ER twice  getting IV's.  Try alteril  or melatonin  to help with the sleep.  I concur with those that say to  not use Trams.  They can be terrible to come  off  because they have an antidepressant component to it.    
I was taking 150mg per day of Oxycodone.  Then the doctor changed me to Percocet 10/325 on Friday.  I started the taper on Sunday.  I'm suppose to take them every six hours but the 4 hour seems to be the key for this week.  I think you are right, this taper is too fast this week.  How can he have me on 150mg and then take me to just 40mg of oxy?  I got some clonazapam for sleep but that isn't helping.  Just 1mg.  
It amazes me that the government has just forgotten about me.  The VA I can't even get into unless I go to emergency room.  But they told me before that they can't help me.  Even thought I broke my neck and lower back in a helicopter accident. Really upsetting.  Wish I could find a local veteran support group but can't seem to find one.  You have no idea how much the message on here help me.  I don't feel alone.  Thank You.  
Tapering helped me to a point and it did help make the detox a bit quicker. Tapering is hard, it took me 3 tries before I actually was able to do it and it takes a lot of will power especially if you have the pills close at hand. I myself am at day 5 with zero pills and other than some lethargy and a little stomach discomfort I am beginning to feel like a normal person again. You can do it. Its pretty lousy that someone who served our country is treated like a second class citizen after giving so much. Keep posting and we will be here for you.
I think your doctor cut your dose way too much ... l50 to 40. You might as  well go CT if that's your taper.  Keep posting.  Terrific support here.

Wow. What a taper. I agree with nursegirl. That was a huge cut.oxycodone is supposed to be tapered very slow and gradual. But on the flip side your doing fantastic. Even if you don't feel like you are. Your mental attitude is what will keep you moving forward in the right direction.  Think of detoxing as the flu. And research aftercare in your area. One day at a time. And I know you don't feel like it but exersising will help. Get your mind off it for a minute and your blood pumping. Just a little walk helped me.
I actually saw the new doctor today.  She suggested increasing my percocet to every 4 hours at first, then going to six and so on.  She also prescribed Cymbalta to help with the withdrawal symptoms and depression.  Then she gave me card for new pain doctor because she said that mine was more like a pain pill pusher than Pain Doctor.  So I will change Pain Doctors and see what they say.  I feel I'm on the right path.  She was a bit shocked that I went from 150 to 40 as well.  She said....don't go see him again.  Got my apple cider vinegar and Thomas Recipe stuff too.  She thought all those were great.  Hopefully by the weekend I'll feel like walking the beach everyday to help.  Thanks again for all the support on here.  You are true angels.  
I have been taking SLIVERS of suboxone and it is a miracle to me. I know that also can be addictive, but I know I wont get hooked on it because I don't like the dizzyness it gives me. It takes 95% of all my withdrawals away and like 1/8th the recommended dose for someone that it was prescribed to (she was taking 20-25 lortabs daily) maybe even less than 1/8 dose. I'm not saying it's right in your case but I can function all day with no cravings for the codeine and as every day ticks by... the cleaner you get. If someone asked me about opiate addiction, I would recommed suboxone. (the woman that gave it to me is a heathcare worker that was supremely hooked on codeine.
I think you're doing great, and because you don't appear to actually have an ADDICTION (rather a dependency), I would never recommend Suboxone.  You actually wouldn't meet the requirements if you weren't abusing the meds.
just wanted to lend my support!  hoping the new doctor gave you the answers to help you get completely off everything....just keep posting for support and info here...it is a great place for that!  good luck and we are here to support you!!  
Still struggling with this taper.  The Cymbalta is helping a little but today I had the chills and sweats and I really have to force myself to eat. SO i'm eating lots of fruit and drinking water or cranberry juice.  Very nauseous most of the day.  I cried for like 5 hours yesterday and about 3 hours today.  This is one of the toughest things i've ever had to do.  Wish I could find some local support.  Feel very lonely here.  My family will just judge and call me a drug addict so I can't go to them for support or help.  I don't have any close friends here as they have all moved away.  I think I'll try and get into the psych department at the VA to see if counseling or something like that will help me.  I didn't realize how depressed I've been.  Does doing a daily journal help?