I need help with vicodin addiction
I was in a car accident quite a few years ago and suffer with cronic pain. I was refered to a pain management doctor and was subscribed Vicodin Es. 120 pills a month. Well I became addicted very quick. I started taking about 10 a day. I was only supposed to take 4 a day. When I would run out I would call the Dr. and tell him my purse was stolen or was goimg on vacation for a month and needed an early refill. Not a question ever asked. I used all different pharmacies and often told them I didnt have insurance just so it wouldnt say refill to soon. Then I got to the point were I would use a whole bunch of different doctors. Well I got to the point where I couldnt take it any more. I was tired all the time. I have small children and i was concerned about my future with them. So one day I called my husband at work and told him I needed to go into a hospital for a few weeks because I was an addict. This was so hard. He had no clue. So I did just that. Stayed for 2 weeks. Got through the withdrawls and came home thinking I will never do that again. They told me in the hospital that I would need to go to meetings but I said no I dont need that. I am not your "typical drug addict". I thought that all I needed to do was get it out of my system then I would be fine. Well I was wrong. A couple months after I got out I was at work and in a lot of pain. A co-worker handed me 2 vicodin. And here I am again. It is alot worse this time. I take about 20 7.5's a day. My husband told me if I ever take another vicodin again he will leave me. I have no support here. I dont want to lose my family. So there is no way i could tell him. I have only 1 pill left and I am having difficulty getting more today. I am scared to death. Every time I would get them I would say this is it no more I am gonna whine myself off this time. Every day when I would toss two in my mouth I would say ok tomorrow I will just take one at a time. Tomorrow never seemed to come cause I kept taking them and now I am down to one and desperate. If anyone has advice PLEASE let me know soon. Thamks for listening.
I must say that I really feel bad for anyone who is hooked on Opiates from previous pain and pain that still exists because it must be hard to stop something that makes the pain go away. I had a very bad love for OxyContin. It was given to me one night when I was out at a bar with some friends. I immidiately loved the high that it gave me and got more soon. I would go out and talk to everyone and be really "up" and felt great. Then, I started taking them for all different occasions. Not ONCE for pain, just for the high. Chewing them very fine was the best way to get high off them. Then I went from to 20's to the 40's. The high was, what I thought heaven. Now, at this time I was taking them on weekends only and a few times during the week. I would get into these bad moods not knowing what caused it. Yet everytime I would take an Oxy, the bad feelings would go away. Then I checked on the internet and found out how many people were screwed up on these things. I laughed and thought it was a big joke. Boy, was I in for an awakening. I then started taking them everyday, to get that feeling. Then toward the end of the day I would feel tired and sleep. I was always looking to go out or do something as a reason to take an Oxy. At the end of last summer, I decided to stop and just take them once in a while again. I stopped and for 2 days felt shitty. Then I started feeling better and realzied that I could stop at anytime so this would never be a problem. But, you must realize of course, in the back of my head I knew I was just stopping and not quiting. So that weekend came and the PARTY BEGAN. I went like this right into xmas time and New Years then got arrested for domestic assault because I got into a bitter fight while drunk and on a good amount of oxy. It was put on file. My girl and I worked things out and she said that I needed to stop. I did. That first Monday, I felt horrible. Depressed, loose stool, nervouse, insomnia and now I knew it was no longer a joke. But she was there for me and I promised I'd be ok. A few days later, I felt better but once again, I knew I had 50 20mg pills owed to me and I told myself I'd take them ONLY ONCE OR TWICE A WEEK, ONE AT A TIME, 1 pill for one night. That lasted for one weekend and then I found myself taking them again to get going. Now, back heavy, not caring at all about nothing, I met another girl while still seeing my long time girl. Didn't care and started seeing her and it broke her heart. I was with this girl and she knew me only on Oxy's. She didn't know the real me. I went to Cancun in March and had enough with me for the two weeks we were there. But I started getting low and the beautiful trip was looking bleak if I ran out so I rationed. I made it through and got home determined to quit. I had to tell this other girl and she was shocked but she too said she would help. I cut down to 10mg pills but still, I was taking them. Weekend would come and I would use more. Then I got into more and more and the was taking like 120mgs a day. I ran out and realized what had happened all at once. I lost my x-girl because of what I had done. I had grown attached to her daughter whom I had been with since her birth. The new girl found out and was so mad that I lied to her the whole time. My credit card bills were WAY TOO HIGH from doing cash advances not caring and I was out of pills all at once. I WANTED TO DIE! THEN IT GOT WORSE! The next day I had to call in sick. I had panic attacks, could not sleep, move felt like dying. I COULD NOT BELIEVE THIS WAS ME! NO! NO! It was UNBEARABLE.. I was thinking of killing myself! The physcial side was bad but the SUICIDAL DEPRESSION WAS UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!!!
I kept with it though and made it three weeks and once again said, OK, ONLY ONCE IN A WHILE! Started using them and, though this time I would only do small amounts, I caught myself using for two weeks straight and felt horrible things all over again, but not quite as bad. You see, you use to avoid that feeling and you get deeper and deeper. Me being stubborn, never would give into the idea of help. So I kept reading stuff on the internet and it helped. I chatted on-line with some people who knew how to cope and they helped. Then I started going to the gym and reading some self help type books. But the gym, man, it would releive the stress and help me sleep. The INSOMNIA WAS KILLING ME. I was lucky too cuz I always had been into the gym but had been away for sometime becuz of the pill usage. The GYM saved me! Then I realized how rediculous I had been and began trying to take things one moment at a time. Then hour. Then day, then week and now, I am, TRULY, NO KIDDING, happier than ever with myself. You see, when you put your goals and things you want to accomplish before that high feeling, its not so hard. AT FIRST, YOU CAN'T EVER, EVER BELEIVE THINGS WILL BE BETTER! You are too depressed. It sucks! ITS TERRIBLE. But you know what, it is a blessing in disquise because when you do get out of it, it is like a new life. Now I don't have a girl or anything now, I realize that I am a very good looking single 27 year old with very little resposiblity now and I have my nice easy days back. Golf, beach just hanging out. Even work is good now and I have a good job all along, just seems better now.

Bottom line, life is terrible when you are on drugs. It seems so good, and it actually is when you are high and using because that is what you know as good. But it is much better being able to sleep, think and eat sober. I'll be honest, I don't like it when they say you can't ever even drink again. I don't believe that. I have been out since and had a couple drinks, but NOT TO GET WASTED BECAUSE THAT is just filling a void. I feel so good straight now that I don't need a high. Two months ago, I would have never thought this but I thank GOD and all of you who have helped. If you want to quit, JUST DO IT! It seems so easy to say and so hard to do but you need to. Life is too short to be depending on drugs and if you keep it up, it will get shorted. Either you will OVERDOSE or KILL YOURSELF, STOP BEFORE IT GETS WORSE! PEACE!
I have  been taking  85  vicodin ES's a day and I have a erectioon problem.
I don't know what to do, I have a similar problem. I take approx. 3-4 vicodins a day. (750mg) And I cannot seem to stop. I am going through 60 in three weeks. I don't know what to do. I cannot tell anyone. I will lose my job and everything. Is there any kind of pills to keep you sedated at home for a couple of days? Outpatient?? Please help.... This crazyness has to stop. Thank you...
You will not lose your job if you go to an addiction specialist for help.  Confidentiality prevents anyone in the addiction field from being able to reveal information about your addiction.  You can be treated outpatient which will mean you continue working.  Try to find someone who uses buprenorphine as a detox medication.  It can help you withdraw easily and start the road to recovery.  Good luck.
The worst thing that could ever happen to the world is drugs through the internet.  I have an addictive personality and spend about 100 dollars a week on prescriptions online without seeing a doctor.  they are delivered the next day. If it suddenly stopped, i would be in so much trouble.
just found this board. could not believe it exists. scared to death, need to stop but i heard some celebrity had a heart attack when they *stopped* taking their vicodin. so please tell me what to expect as i cut back from 3/day to 2/day to none, how fast i should do it, and what to expect besides jitters in sleep.
will anything lessen the severity?
can i stop *too fast* and cause more damage?
help...
i am watching this bottle dwindle with unlikely refill and i feel like i am going to have a stroke. my email is ***@****
p.s. i would have started a new thread but could not figure it out, so please don't be too mad if i posted here incorrectly:)
I have been on vicodins for 2 yrs now,i get them from and through friends. Sunday the 8th of October,I decided I wanted to quit. Its just getting old and want my life back. I wasnt taking near of what most of you were on a daily basis,I used a half of a 500mg for about a year,and got up to 1 1/2 to 2 a day. I havent had one Since 10/8/2000. i am having stomach problems,depressed,crying once in a while. So my friend took me to the hospital this past Wed night,was there 4 hours and they sent me home,and said if I want to join a outpatient program that was up to me. I was going there in hope of detox,to help with the withdrawls. I am on my fifth day,and I feel like ,I think it was Elizabeth,no energy,like I am in limbo. I have 30 vicodons in this same room as I am typing,I almost was going to bite a little off about 30 minutes ago,but grabbed a coke,and did a search on vicodin addiction instead. I read all the posts,and it is comforting,knowing others are in the same boat.My wife and I seperated on june 5th 98,nothing to do with drugs,this started afterwards. So I started dating and was looking for a nice lady to hook up with,to treat and have respect for her and if she had childen,I kept running into ,losers,users,liars players,you name it. So I got a couple vicodins and would go drinking on the weekends,and I still looked for a decent lady,but still had no luck. Anyway about 2 weeks ago I decided giving up looking for a lady,that wants a guy to treat her good. So last Sunday something hit me and I deciced to give up on the Vicodins and getting myself together,and then look for a nice lady. Its a tough road,so far I am doing it on my own and on day 5. I have heard different stories on how long before you feel your normal again. So I am taking it one day at a time,but I think its the roughest thing I have ever gone through. Well I want to wish all of you the best of luck,and to hang tough,and think of how nice it will be to have a normal life again,that God gave use all. To be honest,I wish they would take everything off the market that contains hydrocodone,I know there are alot of other drugs,but I hear more about these drugs more than any others. God Bless you all from my heart,and I will be here reading daily. If anyone would like to talk or have advice feel free to E-mail me at ***@**** anytime......Thank you All - Rick
Hi, I am in the same boat as you.  I have an addictive personality and feel that I have now become addicted to vicodin.  I take about 10-12 a day and feel EXACTLY like you do.  Trying to get different prescriptions, swearing to wean myself off, saying I can do it myself, then popping two at a time, forgetting how many I took, etc.  I do not want to confront my family either, and I don't want to tell my doctor, it's embarrassing.  I see that a lot of us are in the same boat.  I guess I am most concerned about the withdrawal symptoms and functioning without the euphoria, pain and extra energy.  Hope you do ok.
I was recently in the same mess, but I got started in a much different way............life is possible without drugs and it is a disease that you can recover from. I'm learning this as I write this.  I came very close to losing everything, which is alot and it is very scary, I understand. Hang in there.
I STARTED TAKING VICODIN 15 YEARS AGO, WITHIN 2 YEARS I WAS TAKING 40 A DAY, WITHIN 3 YEARS I WAS FALSIFYING SCRIPTS AND WITHIN 4 YEARS I WAS BEHIND BARS, THEN REHAB, THEN BEHIND BARS, THEN REHAB, WELL YOU GET THE PICTURE RIGHT?.....ETC..

IT GOES NO WHERE, THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED ME WAS THE METHADONE PROGRAM WHICH I HAVE BEEN ON F0R TWO YEARS NOW AND IT IS A MIRACLE...IT SAVED MY LIFE AND I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.  

HEY OUT THERE, THIS STUFF IS NO JOKE, STAY AWAY FROM IT, IT MIGHT SOUND CORNY BUT JUST SAY NO!
I know I have been very negative about Methadone Maintenance in general,however in your case it has probably saved your life.Stay on it for several years ,then taper off over a year and the nightmare may be over,who knows?.
i just encountered a man that was leaving his girlfriend because she was addicted to pain killers and drugs (i think this is the reason), he is also taking vicodin. i would suggest finding out WHAT is causing you all the pain.  for me i was OVERDOING it on the coffee and some other problems.  try another doctor and tell that you are not satisfied with the SIDE EFFECTS and addictiveness of this medication... try and replace it... i was using chocolate for awhile then cigarettes then chip and soda... things like that... hope this say's something to you. :0)

I hope everyone is doing well.  Don't Give UP!  I went through Rehab about 15 years ago and life is wonderful without vicodin, valium and etc.  One of the things I don't understand is how do some of you get so many pills?  When I was doing it, I used 2 doctors, but they never gave me more than 30 pills at the time.  I didn't take as many of you, but I still went through hell getting off of them.  When you are addicted it doesn't matter if it is a small amount or large amount.  I'm glad I found all of you and I sure wish you the very best.  You can't let a day go by without working the program. I read lots of books, still go to meetings, and pray a lot.  I really don't have any regrets, because going through all the things I did, It makes me really appreciate life and never take anything for granted.  I hate the words drug addict, but I guess that is what I am.  I look forward to chatting with all of you.

Jane
I just realized this was a year ago.  I'm interested in knowing, how are your doing now?  I hope that you got help because that stuff is really hard to get off of.  Let us know how you are.

Jane
Hi Sylvia,  I have been in trouble with the law a few good times because of addiction,  I did the rehab thing 10 years ago, 5 years later slapped with a bunch of felonies....I decided to get out of nursing...best move I ever made...When i started going to NA they constantly preached about the negative side of Methadone so of course I thought it was poison.  it was not until I came to this forum and read how Methadone has helped countless numbers of people I began to believe in it. Good luck it was nice hearing from you.....cindi
Wonderful, I am so glad to hear this.  You were up to 25 ES a day!  I thought I am bad.  How did your doc. handle this?  I would like this to happen too, but judging on the personality of my doctor he would laugh at me!  How did he cut you down from 25 ES a day? What did he say when you told him that amount?  Please respond as I am seeking help myself.  From articles I read and from so many other people, I truly think Vicodin addiction is an epidemic.  So easy unlike Heroin to snort or inject which is soooo taboo!  Just pop a few Vics and everything is OK.
  Would like help, please respond.
I really like Brian's comment on lying to yourself.  As with dealing with a Vicodin Addiction myself.  I find and admit here on this page that saying "OH, the pain is so bad"  may be 5% true, but anyone else with the same amount of pain would take an Asparin.  With addiction to make it all feel better, lying to yourself is what keeps you going.  Justifying it all.  Trust me!  I do it myself.  In some ways Vicodins are just as addicting as Heroin or Morphine if not more, just on the fact that there is no complicated fixing and preperation involved.  With pills it's just pop and go.  I have dealt with both personaly.  I am not speaking on the level of friend or doctor who may know addiction and withdraw from a textbook.  Life is sometimes to be lived firsthand, not always to be read about.
Sounds like you need a meeting.  Since your drug of choice is a narcotic, I would suggest NA (Narcotics Anonymous) or if one's not available in your town, go to AA.  It's basically the same thing.  The meetings provide support of a model for living substance free.  They won't help you quit--that's up to you.  They WILL bend over backwards to help you live your life without drugs or alcohol.  Sorry I didn't read this until now--hope this helps.  AA saved my live six years ago!  I whole-heartedly recommend it!
I used to be addicted to speed for a number of years and know how it must feel to want to quite.  What worked for me was asking Jesus Christ to come into my heart because through him all things are possible.  You need divine intervention from God who can heal you from the inside out.  God knows how you are feeling and what you are going through, so all you have to do is let Jesus take control of your body, mind , spirt and soul and he will be able to guide you into becoming the new you. But it takes commitment on your part during your recovery and after so as you don't fall into temptation again. Yes, Vicodin has wonderful medical values, as I am on it for pain myself, but I am able to take less than the doctor has prescribed because God is able to help me do this.

Focus on Jesus who will guide your through this and set you free.

Hi there everyone.

Well, where to begin?  I am an addict and have been for about ten years now.  I went to rehab in '95 for "crank" (methamphetamine) cocaine and weed.  It was the best thing that i have ever done in my life.  Like others though, i relapsed.  It happened about nine months after i got out.  During those nine months though I was very involved in CA (cocaine anonymous) and felt that i was moving along great.  I had a good job and was living on my own and was finally happy.  But then it happened.  Relapse.  Two months after I did that, i joined th navy.  I figured a structured lifestyle, and some one to teach me the responsability i couldn't teach myself was in order.  Plus, they also give random urinalysis tests every month.  And knowing what happens to someone that gets kicked out of the military on drug use, I know i could never ever face my family again especially after what i went through the year before.  Not to mention you will never get a good job anywhere.  Well, i have been in the navy now for a little over five years and have not touched anything since.  Without a perscription.  And here lies the problem.  Three years ago I started getting sever headaches and nothing was taking them away.  Then the headaches stayed.  I have had the SAME headache for three years now.  Every minute of every day it is there.  Sometimes it gets to the point where i cannot see and start to cry it hurts so bad.  Well, i went to the doctor about three weeks after they started and he put me on vicodin.  I was taking 1-2 5/500's every time i got a really bad one.  and they seemed to start helping with the severe pain.  Then I started noticing the high effect and started taking them every day.  Well, i was only getting 30 tabs a month and was having to hit up my buddy that has a disability.  He and his mom between them get roughly 250 a month.  And his were better because they were the 7.5's.  Well, I still go to the doctor to get mine and when they run out i still hit him up.  but between me and him he runs out really quick too.  so I am up to taking 6-10 a day now and am getting ready to transfer to Puerto Rico for four years.  I really need to get off this damn drug because it is hurting not only me but my wife and daughter also.  I have done the cold turkey thing more than I can even count and stay clean for about 3-7 days or until one of us gets our scripts again.  But the withdrawls are the worst and I have a really hard time dealing with them.  My wife does not know how many i take aq day but she knows that I am on them.  I am so scared of what will happen to me if i go to my navy doctor and tell him that i have gotten addicted to these things.  that is why I think that doing it myself is the best bet but i cannot find anything to help me with the withdrawls that i can buy over the counter.  I need help and really would like to hear what EVERYONE has to say.  so if anyone is willing to lend me a hand, please reach out beacause i will gladly accept.  my e-mail is ***@**** and if anyone has antything to say please, please write.  God help us all through this.
Hi there everyone.

Hi there everyone.

I take a few a week in the evening.  Am I addicted?  I'm 46 and a single Mom.
To jojo4you and Vicodin - hydrocodone addicts everywhere:  If you're asking the question you probably already know.  Try to stop and see what happens.  If you're not addicted you won't have any problem.  If you experience withdrawal symptoms, cravings to use, etc. then you are addicted.

A few people can use drugs recreationally for years on an occasional basis.  When any mood-altering drug is used to get high on a regular basis, for those with a tendency towards addiction the use will escalate.  If you are not sure if you are addicted now, keep using and you probably will be.

I had a two year vicodin addiction, vicoprofin, narco, anything with hydrocodone in it.  Was a heroin addict in the 70's.  Many, if not most, people with opiate addictions - of any sort - have prior or will develop endorphin deficiency.  Which is why people like opiates in the first place - it makes them feel better.  But as dependency sets in, a vicious cycle is created which leads to using just to feel normal and be able to function.

There are many approaches to treating addiction, ranging from total abstinance (NA meetings or onging support essential - narcotic addiction creates ongoing cravings to use, and is one of the most difficult dependencies to recover from, which is why methadone maintenance exists:  many are simply never able to avoid relapse or maintain continued abstinance) to opiod agonist replacement therapy (methadone and buprenorphine).

Buprenorphine is probably a better choice for hydrocodone withdrawal, but unfortunately complex DEA regs have kept it off the market.  Should be available at addiction treatment centers in the next 6 months.  It is available in a few inpatient treatment centers.  You have to call around to find someplace that can do a buprenorphine (Buprenex) detox.  But a word of caution:  A buprenorphine detox is almost so easy and painless that you will be more likely to relapse.  A certain amount of withdrawal pain does wonders to ensure future abstinance.  But no detox protocol should be inhumane.  And to all out there who are addicts, rapid opiate detox under anesthesia (UROD or ROD), while being promoted by a few treatment centers, carries high risks and is an inadequate method of detoxing off of opiates.  See Methadone Today newsletter for horror stories about ROD at:

http://www.methadonetoday.org/

Methadone may be more suitable for "high tolerance" addicts - meaning heroin.  Vicodin is a relatively low tolerance opiate - the acetaminophen in it limits your intake - you'll get toxic from the acetaminophen (and damage your liver in the process, also your kidneys) if you take more than about 8 reg. strength Vicodin a day.  Even if you are taking 20 Vicodin a day, that is approximately equal to one bag of good quality heroin a day.  And there are a lot of heroin addicts taking 10 or more bags a day.  So a 20 Vicodin a day habit really is not considered a "heavy" habit - but the problem is that many Vicodin addicts get started on it for pain conditions, and have a very hard time with "cold-turkey" withdrawal.  If you can manage it, a slow taper can work - BUT only if you have someone to dole out the pills to you.  I tried it 4 times and could not successfully detox myself.

I have met many who have detoxed off of Vicodin 4 - 5 times and relapsed.  Any narcotic or opiate addiction leads to chronic opiate cravings when abstinent, and without some form of support to deal with the craving for opiates most (over 95%) will relapse.  NA is not the only approach, but is one of the most successful for those who can integrate a 12 step spiritutal growth process into their psyche and lives.  But some addicts simply cant.  If NA is not available in your area, try going to open AA meetings, and get and ready the book "Alcoholics Anonymous" - you can even order it from your local bookseller.  It is the basic recovery text on which the most successful treatment for addiction has been founded - one addict helping another.

However, some people are simply never able to stay clean from opiates no matter what they do, and methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) is something to consider.  But there are risks - if you find that methadone doesn't work for you (and it didn't for me, can cause serious side effects in a few individuals) it's one hell of a detox.  I detoxed off of 150 mg. of methadone and you will live in hell for 3 - 6 months afterward, and not be feel "normal" for a year.  You can taper off of methadone slowly (some can), but most who go on methadone stay on it for many years - perhaps their entire lives.  It is not something to consider lightly.  Anonther interesting consideration about methadone: if you are a hydrocodone addict it has been seen that statistically, hydrocodone addicts start on low doses of methadone, but end up increasing their dose rapidly and need higher stabilizing doses (over 150 mg in many cases).  And when you get to that level of methadone side effects become more apparent:  mental clouding, nodding out, memory problems, etc.

If you have any coexisting liver disease (Hepatitis C for example) or have damaged your liver by chronic use of the acetaminophen in Vicodin and other hydrocodone preparations (and if you take lots of Vicodin and drink alcohol you will really mess up your liver quickly) you may have problems with methadone metabolism as I did, and need to take it 2-3 times daily.  Methadone is metabolized by the liver, and liver damage causes some or many to be "fast metabolizers" - meaning you have to take methadone 2 -3 times daily.  Some methadone clinics wont do what is called "split dosing" - you have to take your whole dose at once, and it wont "hold" you for the 24 hour period it should.  You end up waking up sick every morning in withdrawal.  Can be a big problem.  Also, on methadone you have to go to a clinid 6 days a week in the beginning to get your medication, and methadone treatment is typically only available in larger metro areas (some states don't allow it entirely) - for more info on methadone treatment for addiction visit the National Association of Methadone Advocates [NAMA] web site at:

http://methadone.org/

Hope this is of help.
I've read everyones' comments and addictions and I'm very farmilar with withdraws and side effects. I wouldn't consider myself addicted, but my father. My father was in a tragic accident about 12 years ago and has been taking narcotics since. My father is what I'd call very, very slick. He can talk his way out of a situation like you wouldn't believe. You see I am the only family memeber that really know's his problem. Hell I've taken the drugs with him and even supplied him some. I too take a pill from time to time, but only for the buzz. Him on the other hand believes it's the pain. I'm no body to judge anyones pain, but when your taking 20 - 40 percocets a day....that's more than pain. I've wathed my father take so many pain killers that he'll acctually pass out. See things that aren't real like colored deer and the chineese invading his land and talk about paranoid. Anyway, he was sent to jail for 5 years. and went from a  150 lb. noodle to 250 of health and muscle. He's been out now for 4 years and is right back in the same mode taking hand fulls of pills everyday...o'except when he's out. Then he goes through some painfull withdraws and begs anyone he can for drugs, yes including me and in the past I could always help him through by getting him some. I wont do that any more. Hell I even smuggled pills to him in jail cause he begged so much. That's what I mean, he can really talk you into doing stuff for him.He's re married now and has a nice family. He doesn't really see clear enough that's he's about to loose it all again. His wife came to me yesterday and was very, very upset. She told me he was addicted to drugs, like I didn't know. She found out his problem one day when she looked in his truck and found a grocery bag full of empty pill bottles. He doesn't realize it, but she's been on to him since, watching everything he does. Seeing him pop pills like candy. I feel alot of guilt for knowing his problem and helping him feed it from time to time. I've come to him a number of times and asked him to cut back and only take what he needs. Well that gets me no where...like I said he can talk his way out of it and actually make me believe he needs them. I've tried using my son as influence to maybe make him stop taking so many...his ansewer is always the same. I'm taking less now than I use to. My father has tought me so many things over the passed 32 years, from riding my bike, hunting, camping, football, baseball...ect. ect. and I'd like him to be around to help me raise my son.Today I'm printing all these drug addiction statments and I'm going to have him read them, when he gets to mine, maybe he'll realise I do think he's a drug addict! and want him to get some help. Back to the part of loosing his family. When his wife was crying to me about his secret addiction, I was completly floored. The past 2 weeks My wife and I can see he's hitting rock bottom and have tried talking to him. Now his wife too sees the problem. He's down in weight again and looks like he's been throught he ringer. His other son came to me the other day and said for some reason he was thinking what it would be like without dad if he had died. He said he thought dad was doing drugs again. He remembers when he was alittle kid, dad always being passed out on the floor and always complaining about pain, just like he's doing now. My brothers 20 years old now and remembers when he was 10 like it was yesterday.Everyone around my father can see the problem and see it's killing him....WHY CAN'T HE? Or does he and just doesn't know what to do?
Shawn
Of course, your father can see what's going on "through the fog", he's having.  BUT, he has to choose to do something about it.  He's an addict and no one but him can make the choice to change.  If you read many of the postings on addicts, prescription narcotics, pain, etc. you'll see and understand that only he can make the change.

It's very hard.  I made a change after 14 years of opiate use, and still relapsed 3 yrs. later.  Read my postings.  I'm struggling now and everyone in this forum is so helpful and each and everyone has different ideas on how to succeed but, you can't succeed for him.  You have to "let go" and let him fall, as hard as it is.  He may need help, but he's got to ask for it, then you can help.

whitedove
Pam
Hi - you will not come right until you replace all the zinc/mag you have leached out of your body over the past few years - this is what 'hanging out' really is - it's your body craving zinc/mag (zinc stops cravings/magnesium stops depression). If you don't do this it will take up to 2 years to return to normal as the only other source your body has for zinc/mag is food and then it is in such tiny amounts it takes years to build up again. If you get a blood test done you will find your levels of both are way down on what they should be.

A typical tablet contains somthing like this:

Zinc amino acid chelate 75mg
Magnesium amino acis chelate 37.5mg
Vitamin B6 10mg
Manganese amino acid chelate 10mg
Viatmin A (1000I.U.) 300mcg

Grading your habit on a scale of 1-10 (1 being occasional use and 10 being long term methadone at 100 plus mg's a day) you should take the following amount for a period of one month then slowly reduce to a daily amount of 2-3 per day.

Habit scale/size - Number of tablets per day for a month

10 10
9 9
8 8
7 7
6 6
5 5
4 4
3 3
2 3
1 2
0 2

You will notice that I recommend you never go below 2 per day. This is because zinc/mag depletion was your original problem so you should give yourself an ongoing supplement to make sure it does not happen again. I now take 2-3 per day to maintain my health. I have had no failures with this treatment (everyone OK after less than a month) and have treated addictions (including my own) as varied as methadone and cigarettes. The cigarrete smoker reduced from 2 packs per day to just 5 cigarettes per day in a week without any discomfort. If you suffer any kind of 'hang out' just increase the zinc/mag dosage and give it a liitle longer to take effect (a week or so). Don't beleive all the bullshit about drug addiction you have heard - it's all **** - this is the real deal. The drugs themselves are not actually addictive but they do leach all the zinc/mag out of your body by increasing the metabolism of them creating a shortage that gets worse the longer you use unless you replace them while you are using in which case you don't hang out when you stop - you just come straight - this is true beleive me I have tried it as have a few other people I know and none of us sufferred any hang out when we stopped.

Great alias name!!!!  Thanks for your response.  I am now taking 5 Lortab (10 mg./500 tylenol); 4 xanax each day and 5 klonipin.  So, if I understand you correctly, I need to replace the zinc and magnesium too, along with Vit. B6, B12, calcium, etc.  Right?  Now that you know where I am with the meds, what would you recommend?  I have purchased a bottle of calcium that includes magnesium and zinc. It has 400 mg of magnesium, 15mg of zinc and 1,000 of calcium.  I've heard that calcium helps your muscles relax and consequently, you sleep better.  Do you know anything about that?  Anyway, I would appreciate anymore specifics you have.  Thanks in advance. I look forward to your response.

whitedove
Pam
***@**** - feel free to write me here. My only concern is to get HEALTHY again.
Hi there:

I didn't hear back from you and just wondered if you saw my post to you.

whitedove
Pam
***@****
OK, where are you all??  I miss you.

how long does it generally take for the hydrocodone withdrawls to kick in?  I can go 24-48 hrs. without feeling too bad.  Does it get worse after 48 hrs. or shouldn't the withdrawls be peaking  at about that time?
Also, has anyone ever detoxed from hydrocodone by switiching to Ultram for a 3-4 days? I have some ultram and am considering it?

Any responses are greatly appreciated
thanks and Bless all of you
JTR
Angelica is right  you may want to post in a place more people look    like a thread up above but to answer your question...usually about 4 to 10 hours after your lst dose depending on your useage....the w/d's set in.....abd after 48 to 72 hours again depending on your useage they start to subside somewhat...about 3 - 5 days for the process....and again yes,,,,ultram has been somewhat of a help so has darvocet.....post again and see what Thomas and the others have to say....good luck   love to all   cin
you may want to post your question in an earlier thread.  You will get more responses. ....they will be priceless, believe me, and I wouldn't want you to miss out on great advice.
Pam,, I am very concerned for you...I read your other post and did get a chance to respond...good luck    and keep us posted on how you are doing...my response to you is directly under your other post to me     love to all   cin
Please read my comments.  I am going back into the hospital today and I do so pray for HELP this time.  I don't know whether it will be on an intensive outpt. basis or an inpt. basis.  Please pray for me, everyone. Im sick. My hands are shaking, my heart is racing, palms are sweating, intense headache, etc. etc.  All the symptoms of withdrawal that I had hoped to overcome at home, after my last episode. This time, my ins. co. says I have to see my Dr. on an emergency basis and let him make the decision.  I agree.  This is causing too much tension, at home.  

I just wish I could have a different Dr.'s opinion.  This one is probably afraid of the trouble he might get in, for putting me on all these meds (i.e. Lortab, xanax, clonipin, clonidine (as tolerated), thorazene (as tolerated), and more.  It's just way too many meds for an addict that can't control herself.

Thank you.

Fondly,

whitedove2
Pam
It's almost 2:00 in the morning and I have been going through Vicodin withdrawal for almost a week now.  I have diarrhea, nausea, cramps, and SLEEPLESSNESS.  The sleeplessness is the worst.  I started taking Vicodin 4 years ago for chronic degenerative disc disease in my cervical spine.  My doctor prescribes it readily.  I've told myself that I can stop whenever I want to...ha what a joke.  I decided to try going off the drug "cold turkey" and I've been through hell this week.  And the real kicker is I am the straightest person I know.  I don't drink, smoke or take drugs, well except for Vicodin that is.  It's nice to know that there are others like me who are trying to beat this monster.  I swear no matter how bad my pain is, I will never put another Vicodin table in my mouth.
################
I have asome questions about vicodin withdraw.  I have a family member who has been taking vicadin combined with valume for quite some time.  SHe entered into a rehab, but they released her after only 5 days b/c the insurance would no longer pay.  It has now been a total of @8 days, and she is still experiencing symptoms of withdraw - shaking, stomach problems, aches etc.  When should these symptoms start subsiding and she get back to not feeling soooo terrible?
I am a nurse that works with patients on a daily basis that are addicted to Vicoden and other narcotics.  These are elderly, people with disabilities, young and old alike.  I figured out a few years ago that Vicodin is extremely addictive and really does NOTHING for the pain except trick the mind/body into thinking that you are in MORE pain, not less.  This can happen as quickly as 3-5 days after starting it.  It is SO painful to watch and when I approach them and ask, "Why are you taking these narcotics months/years after a surgery, accident, etc.", they explain the pain is so horrible.  I've discovered that this is the TRICK of these drugs and I am starting a "grass roots" organization to legislate getting these drugs off the market.  I wouldn't let ANYONE I know be put one Vicodin for ANY reason because of the highly addictive nature.  I  wish all of you the best of luck on getting off these drugs.  Say a prayer, it will help.                    Wendy
vicodin has ruined my life! ive been taking them for two years now, i take anywere from 6 to 15 a day!! My family doesnt know about my addiction so i cant check in rehab, plus i am completely broke! I lost my job, i went into work that day and i was out of vicodin so i started getting anxious and a coworker gave me 6 somas, she told me just to take one, i felt so sick i took all of them, i was so gone that a client noticed and complained to my boss and i was let go...i left work not knowing what i was doing in hit a pole. I was also raped one time because i was soo high on vicodin and i was drinking heavily, You would think that would tell me to STOP! But it made me more depressed and i keep using. I dont even get high anymore i just take it to feel normal. I look around me at people and wonder how it feels to feel human again, i look at the vicodin in my hand before i pop them in and start crying thinking this is my life now..i lost a lot of freinds im moody to the people i love the most...today is my first day off and i feel so hollow and empty and sooooooo nervous my joints hurt my head is foggy, i dont think i can do this, im in a relationship and i finanny told him yesterday about my problem, i was soo scared of loosing him but he said he wants to help me, but i know if i cant get clean he will leave me.  I just need HELP!!! Its ruined my life, im only 25 but i feel so depressed all the time, like i dont wanna live, but dont take that the wrong way i would never take my life, i just feel like this feeling will never go away!!!!
PLEASE do whatever you have to do to stop taking pain meds!! My 29 year old little brother just died 3 weeks ago and my family is broken. My dad, mom, and sister (along with myself) are left to deal with the grief of never seeing him again. Trying to recover from this is unbelieveable for my family! PLEASE  IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR FAMILY...... DO NOT DO "THIS" TO THEM. IF YOU DON'T STOP FOR YOURSELF, STOP FOR YOUR FAMILY. He took a few pain pills for the last time and never woke back up. This is the first time for you to do the most unselfish thing in your life and that it to save yourself and your family from this nightmare! I wish he could have just go the help he needed and now his life is over at 29.......His 8 year old son will never see him again and now must go thru life without his own daddy, he will never laugh with me and give me his big hugs....my dad lost his fishing buddy....I can't even begin to tell you the lasting pain this will leave on your family if you die.  
I have been taking vicoden on a daily basis for almost 4 years now. I remeber how it started like it was yesterday. They used to give me the greatest feeling. Like nothing could stop me, I was on top of the world. Clean the house? No Problem. Go to the store? No Pronlem. Give your brother a ride to his friends? No Problem. You get the pointe, but back then I was excited to do anything and everything. Except sex of corse. I love sex, I mean I really love sex. All vicodins have done is ruin that for me too. I don't know about anyone else, but trying to *** on those things was like a lost cause. Don't get me wrong it still felt good, and I got really good at faking an orgamim inorder to not make my boyfriend feel like less than a man. But I dont want to fake it anymore! I want to enjoy sex the way I used to, I want to feel again and all I have done over the past 4 years is temporarily numb the pain .But... **** that! Bring the pain on, I'm ready. And the sex too please!
My tolorence is so high now tho that they hardly even work anymore. I used to take 1 or 2 and be boucing off the walls all day. Now I have to take 5 everymoring just to get myself out of bed. And another ten or so through out the day. That's about 30 to 45 bucks a day just on V's. Imagine all the nice things I could have from all that wasted money.
Ready for the WORST part...I broke myself. I've takin so many pills over too long of a period of time, and now I can't have babbies anymore. So please ask yourself...is it worth it?? absolutly not. I just urned 27 years old and I will never beable to give birth to a child because of my addiction.
So hear I am on day 2 of no vicodin, this isent the first time I've quit so I know I still have a few mose days tell I start to fell semi normal again. I just really hope I have the strengh to make this the last time I quit. I dont want to do this to myself anymore. There are so many things I want out of life and all vics are doing is stopping me from making them happen.
SO....MR WATSON I HAVE A LITTLE MESSAGE FOR YOU:
you may have destroyed my past, and totally ****** up my present, but as long as I can help it YOU HAVE NO CONTOL OVER MY FUTURE!

SINCERLY: Fallin Angel
please fill free to email me if you would like to talk, I know I could use an ear or two my self. ***@****
I need some help. I have been taking vicoden for a few years and know I am addicted to it. I haven't taking anything in about 18 hours and feel like dying. I don't have a great relationship with my doc and don't know how to approach this but for the sake of my family and my life I need to kick this. Anyone that can help please do I don't want this anymore    
I just quit vicodin cold turkey after a year and a half addiction. I was taking between 6-10 thousands a day.
It was w/o a doubt the hardest thing i have ever done.

Worth it??

OMG yes. Life is so beautiful and now that my body is no longer in a haze i can appreciate that
IF it's any correlation i lost the love of my life because of my problem.
There's no way she love me when i cant love myself first.

If any of you are struggling listen to me... just do it!. I let my family know and they supported me.
My thoughts are so clear and i feel SO good again. I feel strong. I feel confident. I feel reborn.
Be strong okay! You do the crime.. you do the time. you need to be positive and Every second you fight it, the closer you are to living again.

You will experience 4 terrible days believe me!
On top of that it took 9-10 days before i could sleep normal again.

i was taking 6-10 thousands a day But im on my 10th day off of it all and i literally am tearing up because i feel so good...

best decision i have ever made.
Be strong you can do it!

I am 45 years old and I have colapsed disk in my back, the pain is so bad and no wants to help me because I am on the medical card! I take vicodin the 10/1000 2 at a time and I take them every 6 to 8 hours. I buy them from someone I know sometimes because no one wants to give them to me.I try to always have them other wise I hurt so bad and I go threw withdrawls.that's what I am doing right now as I am writing to you! I have not had no medicin in 24 hours now, my back is killing me my legs are cramping, I get the chills so bad but yet I'm sweating something awful,my noes is running and I keep sneezing and I am getting the runs. I don't know what to do, it makes me feel like I would rather die then go threw this!how are you doing and where did you go and what am I sopposed to do about the pain if I can get off these!
I am addicted to Vicodin,Im hearing stories on here where people are talking 15-50 a day! I know it might sound stupid that I am addicted but I've been addicted for about 2 years now me and my fiance and we both take between 4-6 a day!  I know it may not sound like much but it feels like a lot! I can't go to rehab due to  work ! When I don't have any I get trembles and sweats! I just need to know if there is anything to get rid of them I've only taken one Vic in the last 2 days I feel I can do it if I just need to  get rid of the trembles! Is there anything I can do?
I am 44 year old male who had back surgery 2 years ago. My doctor prescribed 5/500 vic's. I have been taking 2 per day for 2 years an sometimes 3 depending on how I feel. I guess I can answer my own question an say YES. I can go a week with out taking the medication, but I have no energy an feel weak. Can someone point me in the right direction an help me get off this drug?