Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
I want to quit oxy

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I want to quit oxy

Hi All,

I have been taking OxyContin 80's, 5 a day, for a couple of years now, crushed.

A couple of weeks ago I tried quitting by taking less per day till I was down to one divided into a pile, five small ones.

Then I slipped back to the five a day again.

I have made up my mind that I want to quit this time for good!

I have 25 pills now, 80's, does anyone out there know the best way on how to do this and the amount each time to make these 25 do it?

I thank anyone that will help me from the bottom of my heart, Big_Lar
I am really bad at tapering because I just take them all unless someone else has them for me.  Other people are really good at this but I wish you luck.  I agree with Sunny though, you need to stop crushing them.
Thank you SunnyOne802 and Firefaery1023 for a quick reply and the help.

If i didn't crush them how would I be able to dose myself down correctly?  Before, when I got down to one a day I would crush one for the day, then divide them into 10 to 15 mg doses, then space them throughout the day.  That from what I have heard is how an MD would do it, 10 to 15 mg tablets of oxycodone that is, at different time periods throughout the day.

why do you crush them?  are you snorting them?  just break the pill into the desired mgs you want and swallow the piese.  dont crush.
I was an Oxy user too and I've been clean for 31 days!! Yeah!! Now to answer your question, first stop crushing them. Second you don't have alot of pills left to do a slow taper so I would drop down to 3 pills per day, swallowed whole, for 3 days then go down to 2 per day for 3 days, and then drop to 2 per day for 3 days, and finally 1 pill per day for the remaining amount of pills. You will still experience some w/d's, but hopefully they won't be too bad. I personally went CT and it was tough, but I just didn't have the willpower to taper. If you have more questions or you just want to talk feel free to PM me and I will help you in anyway that I can.
Rose has good advice.  I think we all believe that you are crushing them to snort them.  I reccomend that if you don't want to take a whole pill to break it into pieces, I know that is hard with the oxy's because they are really small.  I would reccomend folling the taper Rose suggested if you can follow it.  Also you may want to talk to a doctor, there are some medications that can help you detox, plus follow the Thomas Reciepe on the Health Pages.  If you need absolutely anything just let us know.
Lots of Love,
Fire
hard thing with an oxy taper is an 80mg pill is so small it is hard to dreak them down into 10mg pieces. do you have anybody that could give you the pills at the desired time so youre not tempted to take more?
Another thing to consider with breaking or crushing the Oxy is that you're taking the time release out of it, therefore you're getting the dose as a rapid release. It would be next to impossible to break it up and get a correct dose.
Keep posting and we will be here for you to help in anyway that we can. You have made the first step in getting clean and that is admitting that you're an addict and you obviously have the desire to stop. I can tell you that I finally have my life back and it was the best decision I've ever made in my life. The second best decision I made is reaching out to the people on this forum. There is so much love and understanding here, WELCOME!!
If yould even just break them in half it would be good...there is an article on tapering in the health pages and the thomas recipe and amino protocl as well...taking small doses throughout the day is better than taking big doses a few times a day...tapering is hard for some, me included, and i had to give mine to someone to dole out to me as i would end up taking the same amount or more each day due to stressing over it... you could start of by taking 1 pill 4 x a day 4 hours or so apart then go down from there if u were at 5 a day...can you break them in half?
Hi SunnyOne802, Firefaery1023, cathy5841, Rose703, Dieing2Live and worried878,

First I would like to say thanks to all of you for taking the time in writing to me and to giving me words of advise.

I am afraid of taking the tablets whole as they might not release enough of the med.  I thought by crushing them then divide them into 10-15mg parts would work better.  I know of several people that were on oxy's and the doctors tapered them down by using 15 mg tablets, which of course are instant release.

I use to crush then snort them, but stopped that several weeks ago.  I still crush them which is the only way I can divide them up correctly, but take it by mouth figuring the snorting was half the problem, the rush part you know.

I am now down to 22 tablets, 80mg.  So what ever I am going to do I have to get with it, as in now!

Again thanks to all very much.
i've been doin the 80s too 5 even more somedays, trying to taper now i take a whole 80 by mouth when i get up then i sniff a half about 4 hrs later, i too gotta quit sniffin, thats next.
u r right lifesaride...snorting has go to go...take it one step at a time but never take a step backwards...always forward...80 mg must be oxycontin i am guessing so those are time released,,,one step at a time...forward
4/18/08

HI worried,

You stated you would like to offer me help with tapering.

I have sent you a couple of messages since the 16th and haven't heard back as of yet.

Did you still want to?

Thank you
You have to keep in mind a few things when trying to do this.. First when you take a whole 80mg pill without crushing or splitting it, it does give you all the medicine, but just over a 8-12 hour time-released period.  So that is not wasting it.  I too used to crush and chew my oxy's but never once tried snorting them. It just releases the medicine immedietly and hits you all at one time(WHICH IS VERY DANGEROUS!)

You have mentioned a couple times about how a DR would do things, or how you have heard them do it for others.  Well, obviously you cannot take these like a DR would suggest. Plus when a DR gives out 15mg IR pills to help reduce the dosage it IS NOT OXYCONTINS!  They use OXY IR, Roxicodone, PErcoset, things like that.. They ARE MEANT TO BE IMMEDIATE RELEASE! OXYCONTIN IS NOT!!  So by you justifying your reasons to split them and powder them up is just WRONG AND UNHEALTHY!

You need to just take them whole THE RIGHT WAY!  You can still do a taper that way.  Best of luck, but it seems like when others give their opinions on why you need to stop the breaking and powdering them up you try and argue, hoping someone might say it is ok to do it that way.. WELL, IT IS NOT OK!