Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
IS MY DOCTOR CRAZY?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

IS MY DOCTOR CRAZY?

I saw her toady and she has my list of meds. She put me on TRAMADOL for intense back pain (as needed), Cymbalta for the pain management and anxiety, and she knows I'm currently on 10mg Adderall (adderrall) for ADHD.

Should I be worried? I'm not up for landing in the ER...
Tags: Doctor, Anxiety, Back pain, worried, ADHD, tramadol, Cymbalta, adderall, amphetamine salts
If you need some reassurance talk with your pharmacist.  They know about drug interactions also.  The tramadol makes me nervous as that can be a real evil drug.
That is a great idea.  I never think of talking to the pharmacist.  They would be aware of the interaction and should have gone over them with you when you picked up your scripts.  I agree about the tramadol as well.  
Thanks, I'll call them in the morning. I'm not going to take anything else until they tell me it's okay.
The tramadol is only as needed. So if the other stuff works well enough for pain, it's not necessary to take it.
I agree talk to your pharmacist, but if your using a chain store, like Rite Aid, and filled them all at the same place, it would have thrown a flag if there were interaction problems. At least that may ease your mind until you speak with them. I read you were scouring the Internet :)
the cymbalta was given as a sample so my pharmacy doesnt have that one on file... i'll call first thing tomorrow
be careful with tramadol, can be just as addicting, when i detox i have intense back pain INTENSE, but its only withdrawals for me, if you have a legit back problem try to only take as needed and not even then if you can help it, all it does is mask pain for the time being and it will comeback full force, and youll take more tramadol then your tolerence will go up, so on so forth, please be careful!!
As needed is the biggest bs I've ever heard from a doctor bc as needed after while becomes all the time. Throw it away if your pain isn't bad. Just saving the real pain for yah. God bless.
Tramadol and cymbalta together can create seratonin syndrome per my pharmacist.  
Totally agree.  I am really surprised that they were prescribed together.
if you had an addiction to opiates before I think that I would throw the tram in the trash
Tramadol is very addictive and very hard to get off of once you start taking it regularly (it pretty much stole 10 years of my life). That does not mean that it cant work for someone, but just proceed with caution - maybe check around on this site to see other Tramadol stories.   I am also very surprised by the Tramadol/Cymbalta combination - I'd check with your pharmacy to be sure this is ok.  Please be careful!
I too agree that the Ultram/Cymbalta combo needs clarified.  The two are contraindicated, but I HAVE seen people prescribed PRN ("as needed") Tramadol with a med like Cymbalta.  In minimal occasional doses, the risk for SS is actually pretty small.  Problem is, if a person starts taking it more frequently, then the risk is increased...hence why they are just usually not prescribed together.

To take a med "as needed" for most people is no big deal, but for an addict, it can be a problem...as there isn't a lot of self control not to abuse the script.  IF the pharmacist clarifies the combo and says the Ultram is okay...if you ONLY take it as needed, here and there, it won't cause dependency issues (independent of the Cymbalta issue).  MY concern would be that it could be a trigger if it makes you feel high on it.

My own opinion would be that there are probably lots of other better choices for pain management for you.  Have you ever taken Rx-strength Motrin (800mg)?  That's usually pretty effective, for lots of different kinds of pain.  How about other NSAIDS?  What all have you tried?

Good thing you're being vigilant about this stuff!  Sadly, too many docs still do not acknowledge the problems with the Tramadol.  Let us know what you find out!
Yeah after the terrible feeling I had after taking Tramadol, it's safe to say I'm not gonna get hooked.
I called my pharmacist and doctor the next morning. My doctor's assistant gave me the WRONG DOSAGE sample of Cymbalta! I was so mad. She said that's one of the reasons I felt the way I did because my body isn't used to that high of a dose yet and I was supposed to only be taking 30mg.

The whole reason I stopped Vicodin is that I'm sick of being on so many meds. I thought she would only give me A small dose of pain meds to get me through work this week while I was waiting for my pain management referral to be processed through my insurance. NOPE she gave me the biggest bottle of it I've ever seen! Crazy....

Anyway I saw a chiropractor today and am seeing him every week for a month to see if they could offer more help than my doctors have been able to. My mind is set on getting off of medications, I don't want to add anymore. I'm pretty stubborn, lol. So no worries. =)

THANKS EVERYONE!!!