Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
I'm addicted to co-codamol

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I'm addicted to co-codamol

I started taking co-codamol several years ago for a leg injury. When I first took the painkillers, I felt absolutely amazing. I have always suffered from nerves and anxiety and found that the drugs made me feel so relaxed and took away all of my worries. Since then, I have been going to my doctor on and off, trying to get co-codamol and making any sort of excuse I could to get them. If my doctor wouldn't prescribe them, I would go to another doctor. If that doctor refused, I would go to the Emergency Room and claim that I'd just injured myself. I've been creating all sorts of fake injuries in an attempt to get the meds. I only take two a day, but it worries me because when I reach a certain point in the evening, I automatically go to the bathroom and take them, almost at the same time every night. I turn the tap on so my partner can't hear me opening the packet, and sneak into the kitchen to get a glass of water.  I am about to run out, and am already thinking of how I can get some more pills. I'm quite worried about this now. My moods have definitely changed. I get so irritable and moody over nothing, and often snap at people. The thing is, when I take the pills, I don't care about anything anymore, and my body just turns to jelly. I've become so addicted to this wonderful feeling, and am concerned that I won't be able to live without it.  Has anyone else experienced this?
I think that most of us have taken or DOC and experienced the good feeling it brought us. You can live without it, it is your choice to stop. We will be here to help you though it if you decide to. Since it is not my DOC I do not know the best way to quit, maybe someone else will add to the post.
Co-comadol is codeine and tylenol...legal in some countries...very high tylenol content compared to a the narcotic content..usually 500 mg tylenol in each pill ...codiene is milder than many narcotics but you will still need to make a plan to get off ...I am off to work but keep posting and people will post and help...you can taper off of it or quit CT...how many are you taking each day?
Two a day .........Get away while the gettin's good.  Your flaggin yourself already in the ER and the doc's seem like they are catching on.  you can do this for only so long and will be cut-off one way or another.  It sounds like you may have a legit anxiety issue, and are using the wrong medication to aleviate it.......Talk to your doctor and tell them about your anxiety, and maybe they can help.  Wish I could offer more.  Good luck, hun.

Nauty...........
Ive been addicted to apin killers for ten years and im only 26, it could be longer as it started when i was in school and i used to take them for fun and to get high from them but now ten years on i have a serious problem with them and dont know what to do about it as ive tried to just stop taking them but i cant do it.
When ive stopped taking them in the past, after ive got past the pain in my back, the strange taste in my mouth the head ache and the not sleeping. i cant stop thinging about them and what i can do to get some more.
I used to hide what i was doing but along the years peolpe have found out and at the moment my partner is very supportive although i do put him under alot of pressure because he loves me and doesnt want to see me in pain so at time he has given me pain killers when ive not been able to get any but its hard for him because he also does not want to see me kill myself.
Ive finally got to a stage in my life when im serious about stopping but dont know where to turn because i work in mantal health and do not want it on my medical records that im an addict.
u may want to start a new post to bring attention to your needs...many quit on their own at home...it is do-able...i did but you need ongoing support..there is the thomas recipe and amino acid protocol in the health pages to help...lots of good info there...lots of support here...i am in the medical field as well...what is your DOC, how much do u take?  keep posting
Hay thank you for your reply, its nice to know that there is some help out there.
Im currently taking 30/500 capsules upto 8 per day.
Ive read up on my problem many times, as i said i work in mental health and with people who have drug problems and have done so much training on how to support people who are trying to come off all types of drugs but putting that into pratice on me self i have found pretty much impossible.
I have cut down on my intake over the past two years and have even stopped taking them but i always end up using someing else to take its place.
I have always had a thrill seeking personality which may sound funny but it has coursed me so much trouble over the years as i can never settle for just a "normal life".
It is a much deeper ruted problem than just the pain killer i think and i think thats why im finding it so difficult.
When i have run out of the pain killers you can only get from yr GP then i go the boots or some where like that and buy them which is worse because i have to take more to get the desired affect.
I dont want to sound like im feeling sorry for myself.x
Dear All,
I'm not one to post on theses site but felt I had to to let you no it is possible to get away from the addiction to cocodamol!
I pulled a muscle very badly under my rib a year and a half ago and was perscribed cocodamol and tramadol, it was the only pain killer that took the edge off the pain! I also loved the feeling it gave me!
I recovered and was ok but any niggle of pain any where else or period pains I opted to take cocodamol because in the back of my mind I knew I would get pain relief and also that lovely buzz as a side affect. I was gradually taking them more and more frequently.
A couple months later I pulled a muscle in my neck which was terrible because it caused headaches!
Again I was prescribed the strong cocodamol for it! I took them every day and when I ran out I asked for a repeat pescription 3 or 4 times(doctors never asked any questions)
I started to feel embarassed keep going back so I opted to to get over the counter cocodamol which I had to take 4 in the morning to get the desired affect and by dinner time I was taking 4 more! the feeling was just enough for that buzz and relaxation.
For other reasons I was in hospital and had a dye test in my abdomen and it has shown I have liver damage( pretty obvious how that happened)
I still took the meds knowing this was actually destroying my body!
The need for that buzz was on my mind constently.
I have recently decided to come off and the way I did it was ween yourself off!!! I dont know about you but the thought of never taken them again was scary!! I halved what I was taking for a few days and then half it again and and so on. One morning I tried without! you do get that awful pressure head ache especially in the evening( the pain subsided by itself) but it does get better everyday I promise!  Im no expert but I am on my 4th Day completely cocodamol free and it is feeling better and better everyday AND CAN NOT BELIVE IM LIVING WITHOUT THEM.( 4th day I hear someone scoff! ) but anyone who's in this position knows its like conquering a mountain) I'ts tough cause it gets to that certain point in the day when you know the urge for that buzz, but I dont want to spoil it now! 4 days now and soon it will be 4 weeks! Good Luck and be strong it is possible!
A Friend
xxx
Go Friend!!  You sound like youre doing great, keep up the good work!!  and nobody I know here scoffs at anyone, so don worry bout that,  God Bless!!
And thx for the encouragement! still going stong here, its sun 7th and this is day six for me! I nearly gave in yesterday because i had a slight hang over from an aunts birthday party and i normally take the tabs (the hang over would still be there but i got that nice buzz to concentrate on)
But i thought self inflicted so just put up with it, and im surprised that pain goes on its own slowly without taking any meds.
Thx again Michele
A Friend
could you tell me what you mean by "boots", is that like a slum  area or drug area?
I have never heard that term before.
Boots is a name of a chain of pharmacies in the UK. I get mine from there.
Not sure how I ended up in this situation, and am full of shame, but I have an addiction to co-codamol which I am finding it difficult to deal with. Can't get out of bed in the morning without it, or deal with any work or relationship problems, without taking a tablet. For someone who has been depressed most of their adult life, the high I get is the first real relief I've had from despondency and self-loathing.

But now it's out of hand. I am going cold turkey this week (this is day 3), as reducing doesn't seem to work and the quantities just creep up again. But the thought of living without the sense of peace I get from this drug is barely tolerable, and I sometimes think of suicide. Anti-depressants don't really touch my mental health issues, and cause other problems (lack of enthusiasm for life, weight gain, tiredness etc).
i am myself adicted to co-codamol . . i get 400 tablets on perscription from the docs the 30/500 tabs . . i must take 8 to 9 tablets a day . . i am now sufering with nausia . headaches . dizzyness . and bad moods . . i need to stop taking them . . i have a glass of water next to my bed and three tabs ready for wen i wake up . . i am going to ween myself of them starting tomorrow . . . do the same . . slowly drop them . . good luck . .
I just went cold turkey 2 days ago. I get the sweats and terrible pain. I still am not over my illness which caused me to go on them. but i know i am addicted and want to stop them.
I used to overdose to get high if i was upset about anything.
And I once went to the doctors for more to early complaining that i run out....she asked if i overdosed and i am a terrible liar so i told her sometimes if the pain is so bad i cant sleep.
she then seriously warned me that overdosing on this could seriously **** up my liver. (she used better language though)

So good luck to everyone... but if you have overdosed...that means more than 8 a day. I would seriously think about seeig your doc about your liver.

Hi,i've been on co-codamal since 2005,and am pretty much addcited to them too,i only take 2 a day or sometimes 2 twice a day,i use the one's you mix in water,only because they hit you pretty quick,i have tried to stop,oh i went to the tesco's and the lady said they have stopped making the drug,omg i thought,but i got them form another chemist,they did say don't use more than 3 days,i have spoken to my gp on many occasions,i mean i told him i'm addicted,and he said the amount i was taking was not going to kill me.But the point is the addiction and long term use!

I noticed that some people are using more than the stated dose,please cut down as soon as you can,this can cause serious health problems!
hi was just reading about all of you and your addiction to co-codamol, i my self have had this addiction for about 12 years and have been taking anywere between 15 and 30 a day sometimes more if my mood or life shall we say is not going so well.......i wish i could stop as i have the most addorable wife and 2 fantastic sons....have been for all kinds of help including councilers and doctors but have not succeeded yet..the only thing i know for sure is that one day 15 or 30 will be my last as my liver will probably pop.....the funniest thing about this is that after 5 years of trying to get help and having liver function test every 3 months i still as yet have no liver damage at all, which leads me to believe its going to happen without warning as the doctors say that this is not uncommon just the way my body works (so they say) anyway enough of boaring you guys the only advice i can give for those who are taking 2 to 6 tabs a day take your tabs give them to you chemist go home have a nice coffee and take a look at whos in your life you love the most and use them as your high as for when the addiction gets to lots of tabs the amount of sickness that it can cause to get off of them is the same as a herion addict and needs a great deal of help and will power, the only thing i know is that i will try everyday untill i get it right or i die.........good luck to every body who has this addiction life is worth living and health is important the reasons for having  the addiction and how it all started for you is not as important as getting back on the right track ind living your life as best you can with th people you love......sorry for babbling on for so long.............good luck and well done to those who have stopped keep it up.......Treb
i've ben addicted to th high strength co-codamol since i wqs pregnant in 2005. i have the dissolvable ones and even though they taste revolting, they give me the buzz that i love. i have about 12 or more a day and i reall y want to stop. the thouht of collapsing one day terrifies me as i live alone with my son but i cant seem to get the willpower to give them up. please help.
Hi, anna, welcome to the forum!

as this is an old thread i think you'd better start a new one so that people can see your post better...

we all think that we don't have the willpower, anna, but trust me that it can be done so of course, you can do it...taking the right steps will boost your willpower, believe me :)

coming to the forum asking for help and support is a good one, learning about our addiction another one, detoxing ( i advise to you to have a look at the health pages at the right side and read the thomas recipe and the amino acids protocol where you can find some good "tips" for the wds ) and most of all, going to na meetings or an addiction therapist is something to do too...

good luck, :)
I have been taking thses now for 10 years. I suffer with bad IBS pain ..so I have them on repeat every month, within 20 mins of taking hem I feel better and lighter. I have tried to go without but I run to the toliet all the time and the crapms are bad. my daughters are worried. The 1st two are fine but in the day I take another and the side effects are horrid.. tierd dragged down crying etc etc.. I used to take 8 a day but ow I do try 6 or 4.
I want to get off these so bad but the high is great and you love everyone but the low is not good and you want to shut yourself off from the world.
try and come off slowly but see the doc and tell them whats going on with you .. be honest.. I am thinking after ten years there must be something else for my IBS then this. x
Hi i got prescribed Cocodomol 30/500 3 years ago after trying every other strong painkiller under the sun for my Artheritis this was the only one that worked.
Well i soon became totally dependent on the littlw swines i was taken them when i never needed to i always felt sickly but that never stopped me...Last week after being off them for 6 days i had to take them for a right sore back unknowin to me the sore back is a side affect of comming of them,I havent taken any since but i feel terrible i havent slept i got tummy cramps constipation then the opposit it is a nightmare..I have tried to come of them before but always went back on because of the withdrawels.I also got flu like affects sneezing all chocked up and a caugh that would break windows.

I am determined to staf off them i also told me family about it and they never had a clue but i feel stronger now for telling them..I have got a script lying in the chemist for another 100 of them but they can keep it i wont be collecting it.Has anyone else had these symptoms.. you know the caugh is the worse as it keeps me up all night in the past when i did stop them the caugh was the reason i always went back on them cos as soon as i took them the caugh went away...living nightmare.. these little monsters should come with a health warning.

keep strong everyone we can do this together,,love Maggie.
if anyone wants a chat my email is
***@**** up
hi, ive been takin the 30/500 for a year and a half now. it started when i slipped a disc in my back. i was takin them with tramadol and ibuprofen. my back pain has gone now for over 6 months but i still find the need to take the codeine tabs i dont touch the tramadol but still get them on script. ive got so bad that i get a month worth n they r gone after 2 weeks maybe 1 n half some months. strange thing is that wen they r gone n i gotto wait for nxt script im fine. i just wait for next lot then hammer them again. i take about 20 a day wen i get them. i know im overdoin it but just cant stop.
Codine is a liar, i have been prescribed co-codamol for 15+ years for a bad back, im never going to not be able to take these tablets, but i can try to dictate how many i take.
Codine lies and tells you you are in paid and need to take  more, you need to be the boss of your body and know when you really are in pain, and you need to redefine the 1-10 of your pain sclae and will power through the lower level pain.
Cold turkey is a *****, i have gone through it many times and will many more its painful, it feels like ants crawling under the skin, it feels like dull spoons scraping your bones, but after a few days you are in a better place and can probably have a good couple of years of managing your pain levels before you need to do it again longer if you manage it well, i have been 3.5 years since the last CT.

good luck all.
well this is day 2 off my detox... cold turky... i am a 30 yr old male.. and been takin this since i was about 23.. these tablets have ruiond my life!! taken control off it,... my life revoles around 30/500 co codmol.. but last week i had to try and stop these tablets.. my daughter asked me why i was takin this tablets all the time..( i neva hid the fact i took them) i tried all sorts off treatment.. i had valium.. acupunture in the ears.. i had suppurt from all fam and friends but i have NEVA been able to get off these at all.. and i no these next few week r goin be VERY hard to get ova..it as been 24/hours since my last tablet.. and i did not sleep a wink at all last night.. so i am lookin for advice off anyways to help me through this .. as i am scared i dont want to suffer in silance,, and anything at all to make me feel beta in this time off need wud be great... thanks
Stay in there. Im 53 days clean from codeine. The last thing to be ok is your stomach and sleep., but hang on! The rewards are great. Ive lost 10 pounds, and been to the gym 4 times a week. My body looks so different now, its so worth it!
hi thanks jimmy and well done!!!! how long does all the pain and stuff last?? how bad was it for u anything u can tell me wud be great thanks
It will pass!
Physical withdrawal symptoms are different for everyone but usually things get gradually worse for around 4 days, then things get a LOT better very fast.

There are ways to reduce the effects, something like imodium (immodium) to control your stomach and valarian to help you sleep might be a good start. There is good info in the Health Pages (link top right). Might be the last thing you feel like doing but some gentle excersise will help a lot too, even if it is just a walk around the block.

No way to avoid it though, you will be in for a rough few days but after that it will be over. Deciding to quit is the hardest step, you have done that now, stick with it, by the weekend you will be feeling sooo much better, believe me.
Hi all.
I'm 35 and have been taking this medication for around 10 years now. I started taking them as I suffer form lower back pain and have had all treatments for this but nothing worked, I remember the first time i took co codamol and I had the best night sleep ever. Then it got worse as I started to take them when i woke up, then in the afternoon and then in the evening and late at night. It's ruined my life. I have lost so much weight, I cant think clearly anymore and I don't do the things that I loved to do. My life seems to revolve around taking this drug. I'm going to stop taking them tonight as I dont want to rely on them anymore. I will let you know how i get on tomorrow. Wish me luck.
am so glad i found this site,.. i have been head wasted for 2 years with this drug,.. first taken to recover from a serious injury,.. at first i felt stoned... not that i know what thats like but i can imagine,.. felt dopey hazy and chilled,.. did not care about anything,.. it kinda masked all the other stuff going on in the back ground,.. i developed a anxiety for being stuck in traffic and in crowded places... the ccd took all of that away... and now am wasted with it,.. i am down to 4 a day,..i dont even get the high anymore,..i have taken so much strength from all of your posts...and i am looking forward to being off this drug once and for all...
i lost so much over the past 6years without even noticing it due to addiction to this drug since 2005.Taking 8-10 daily life revolves around waiting for that 4hr period to pass to eat another 2.In the beginning they induced somewhat of a nice buzz but nowadays the buzz has since gone been replaced by irritable moods,heart ectopics and the odd rebound headache,there seems to be no much positives to taking them except when your addicted your body cries out of them regardless.I manage to hold down a full time job but when not at  work im mainly very tired but due to childcare dont get to relax much so become irritable.Life revolves around always having enough for whatever im doing.I have neglected my family i think as i have shown no interest in doing anything but wanting to sit at home,i have missed out on family holidays,days out etc and now 6 yrs down the line of this my wife has changed so much and it only recently hit me what i have lost and the thought of if i do stop what a mess im returning to.Another problem is was diagnosed with life threatning heart beat problem i take drugs for and not sure how much the codiene contributes to this,im a 40 a day smoker and need to quit desperatley,but for months ive been toiling with the which do i quit first before its too late,the cigs or the codiene cant do both together life seems a right mess.i wish i could get off both..i do the repeat prescription thing with success..few weeks ago i decide to quit and gave the codiene to my brother to save but by lunchtime same day was running up for them,nobody actually knows about my problem..i owe it to myself to quit before i lose the bit i have left but again i say which do i quit first,cigs or codiene i told people im quitting smoking this evening but ill not last it out,if i fail then ill be looking to quit the codiene then when comfortable off that concentrate on coming off theb cigs..god knows life seems such a\mess
this thread started a long time ago, and then another person used it, you need to return to the top and post your question there, that way you will get replies and help,
I am 14 years old and very mature for my age, however, you will probably find this the most stupid case here. I went to the doctors 6 months ago due to headaches i was getting, they prescribed me some cocodamol, i wasn't too sure what it was, all i knew was to take one whenever i got headaches, i never felt high or anything like that off it. then after a month of moderatly taking it, lots of things changed in my household, and i suddenly stopped being happy, i felt empty and lost inside. then one night i went to a friends house for a party, and there was alcohol, everything got to me after getting very drunk, i took about 5 tablets along with the alcohol, but nothing happend, infact, i felt better. After that, i started taking atleast 5 a day, just to give me a 'pick me up', but only 2 months ago i started taking them with different tablets, because i just started feeling worse and worse, i also started to feel selfish and greedy because of what i was doing. I know this hasn't been going on aslong as most of these cases here and my effects aren't as bad. But i really got a wake up call, when only 3 weeks ago, i took too many with other tablets, i was shakey (shaky), scared, and couldn't see properly, nothing like it had happened before. i have spoken to a very close friend of mine about it, and he has tried helping massivly, he promised he wouldn't tell my mom, because i can't let her know, she is going through to much atm, which makes me more selfish. i ran out only 4 days ago, and i'm starting to want them again. My headaches are coming back, so my mom is taking me back to the doctors again to get more, i told my friend that i had thrown them away, but i didn't i just took them all. Please don't think i'm a pathetic child who wants some attention. i've been keeping this bottled up for so long now, and after finding this and reading it, it is making me feel some sort of hope, and i don't want to end up having a long run addiction to this. Please can someone give me some advice on what i should do?
I TAKE CO-CODAMOL FOR ARTHIRITIS , OVER THE LAST YEAR IS HAS
BEEN UNBEARABLE. BUT NOW I HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL I STILL
FIND MYSELF TAKING THE TABLETS. NOW I  AM FINDING THAT MY
WORK IS BEING AFFECTED. MY SHORT TERM MEMORY IS AWFUL ,
FEELING CONFUSED AND FEELING DEPRESSED. I HAVE BEEN OFF THE TABLETS FOR 3 DAYS NOW . HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO FEEL
NORMAL AGAIN. AS IF FEEL THAT EVERYONE IN MY OFFICE THINKS
IM JUST GETTING OLD AND FORGETFUL. IM 49 NOT 89. PLEASE CAN
ANYONE ASSURE ME THAT THINGS WILL GET BETTER
Cocodamol is a way of life for me.... I take them in the morning, afeternoon and evening. (sometimes 12 a day 30/500)
I have to take 3 at a time as 2 no longer has any effect. I get them prescribled for backpain after having my second child. I havent experienced any back pain for a few months but keep collecting my prescription because i have become dependant on the pills. When I run out I do wotever I can to get them from someone else, some of my friends and faily also get them prescribed. I make up excuses to my husband to take them. I also take them in secret! I often lose my temper with my husband when he questions the authentisity of my pain. A few times in the last 8 months i have went without..... it was awfull. I was moody, so uptight and angry, aggitated, had headaches etc... i know this is because my body has become addicted. They are the one thing in my hectic and stressfull life that gives me half an hour of peace and chill out time, I look forward to taking them and kicking back and enjoying the feeling of nothing!! I do worry about long term physical effects aswell as the effects it has on my moods and my general existance. I am not currently in the right frame of mind to stop taking this medication. I honestly feel I need it. I would love to go to the doctors and explain how I feel. I believe I am depressed and have been for a long time (long before the use of cocodmol) therefor perhaps a different medication would be more suitable, but I dont like talking to anyone about it and I'm very unlikely to go to the doctors and openly discuss my problems. I know I need help but im not sure what kind and not sure if Im ready to accept it!
i used to be addited to co- proxamol at the age of 20, i loved the feeling of being high, and all my troubles went out the window, i wanted to be with my dad, he died when i was 12, every time i had an arguement my mum who i loved dearly used to tell me that i killed my dad on holiday at plymouth, he bought me a skateboard, and i wouldnt get off the board it was my pride and joy, any way my dad died of cancer, my doctor kept giving me these tablets i took up to 200 a month, then i go back and she gave me more, i was 29, yr, when i swelled up all over, i went to the doctor he told me i was dying, i was transfered to my local hospital then transfered to birmingham liver unit, where i had just 12 hours to live i needed an urgent liver transplant, i had 13 hours to live i felt guity, some one died to save me, i wish i never took those tablets they nearly cost me my live i have wont ever touch another pain killer in my life since that day, 17/ 2/95. if i have a pain i grin and bear it, i had another liver transplant in 2006 i caught DVT in my 2nd liver, ive also had a lung transplant, my kidneys are failing, all because of those co - proxamol,, please get off them soon and go though cold turkey, because when your organs pack up its not worth it for what you put your family though, its not worth it, i suffer horrible, every one said i was brave and a hero, i think i was just selfish, for what i put every one though, so please if any one is on these please STOP,
I've been suffering from terrible pains ever since I was a child, I got prescribed these aweful drugs about 5 years ago, I was never told about the addiction problem and at one point I was taking 15 a day. I've been now diagnosed with a genetic disorder which means I will be in terrible pain for the rest of my life (I'm 23). Being addicted to these drugs and getting worse pain that I was getting at the start is making me feel so helpless, how am I meant to stop when I can't walk ( I walk on crutches anyway) when I do stop because the pain is so bad. I've been trying months and months on end to try and stop them, but when I have a flare up I just go back on them because I have no choice. Only now am I getting help to cope with the pain but it's still not enough for me to stop. I hate what I'm doing to myself and my partner and family. i wish I had the strength to stop for them. It's a genetic problem so I cannot be fixed. I keep asking for better pain killers, but all they offer are stronger ones with the same addiction prospects, any one reading this thinking about taking anything other than paracetamol DON'T RUIN YOUR LIFE AND EVERYONE ELSE'S AROUND YOU!
I think i may have an addiction problem to co codamol... i have tooth ache and was prescribed 30/500, need my tooth coming out, but I have to go into hospital and have an operation on it and thats only happening in 2 months, I feel like the whole GP's surgery is talking about me ordering more prescriptions (as I only get 30tabs at a time and that barely lasts me a week), now im taking 8 8/500 every 4 hours just to get the same effect 2 strong ones will give me so that I can last the strong ones out. I take them most of the time to just sedate me, not because of pain, in reality im in very little pain but i can still get the meds - i dunno what to do!!! :s
I think I'm addicted to the dreaded Co-Codamol. I have been taking them since May 2010. I ended up in hospital after going cold turkey from Ora-Morph, I was on this for a bad slipped disc. At that point I felt like I didn't need the Morphine anymore so I just came off it, this put me in hospital. When I came out I had to go back on the Morphine & come off it gradually over a couple of weeks. When I eventually came off it my doctor prescribed my with Co-Codamol, apparently not so addictive. I have been taking it on & off for over a year now. This week I have eventually had a Nerve Route Block Injection in my back, I thought I would be able to stop taking the Co-Codamol & just take it every now & again, when required. I don't think that's going to be the case, I have got the same cold turkey feelings that I had last year with the Morphine. Not a happy person. I'm also now worried about the Liver damage issue. I think I'll be visiting the doctors next week.
The WD will be very similar but nowhere near as severe unless you have been taking huge amounts of the stuff. They would normally only last a few days as well.

The paracetamol component is indeed bad for your liver but at the prescribed dose over a year it is not likely to to have significant damage. A visit to the doctors and a blood test to get a liver count will hopefully put your mind at rest. Even if the count is higher than it should be don't panic as the liver is a very resilient organ. Mine was in a terrible condition but after just 3 weeks clean of all drugs a retest showed it back in the normal range.

In other words you are right to be irritated at the understatement by the doctors of the addictiveness of this substance but you are likely to be OK. The main thing is to get this harmful drug out of your life and it sounds like you already have that in hand.

Hi , i have been taking co codomols for 12 years 30/500 as most have said perscribed for pain etc now i am getting dreadful migraines up to twice a week , i no i am addicted to the painkillers as i am watching clock ready for next dose , i really need to come of them , i have tried phoning NHS for advise to safely come of them , i explained i didnt feel i could go to my GP with this , they never got back to me ! I am desperate to know the safe way to do this as i said i have been on them 12 years 30/500 8 tablets a day , i would be so grateful if any one has any advice for me how to safely kick this addiction , i cannot believe that something i thought was a harm less pain killer has got me in this mess ,
Start a new post as those one is old. You still be able to get more help. Look up the thomas recipe, will help with the wd
Hi there maggieceltstim, i am curtis and i have been on them for 4 years cause i had a bad football injury i had my knee discolated and they where the only thing that helped but it took 3 years before i got my knee sorted with an opp and bang they put me on the tablets again for all of that , butt almost a year after my opp i started to notice i have had to take 2 a day to get by so i could get to sleep with that funny feeling you get in your tummy at night,
But after a year i got more bad news and found out i had TESTICULAR CANCER and had to have a testicul removed and had CHEMO, thats when i found out that i was addicted to co codamol when the hospital sent me home with differrent tablets, well them first nights at home i almost went out off my head , but any way it is 8 months now and am all clear from cancer and this is my 5th day without the co codamol and i have all the same side effects you are havin.
hope you got off them keep your chin up.

CURTIS.
i cant beleive so many people are addicted 2 these pain killers. i thought it was just me and reading about liver damage terrifies me but still take them every 4 hours ./ i feel trapped.
Im scared and in need of some advice. I've been taking co-codomal 30/500s for over 4yrs. I made the mistake of telling my doctor i sometimes took 9 a day instead of the prescribed 8 to ease my pain. She literally looked at me like id murdered someone. She explained that i was to have bloods taken to check my liver function and if it came back with any abnormalities she would instantly take me off my tablets. I asked about withdrawals and her look nearly threw me off the chair. Apparently i shouldn't get withdrawals according to her. After reading all your posts about withdrawal im terrified of how im going to cope/feel. Can she do this to me after 4 yrs? Help xx
I've been on co codamol & tramodol for 5 yrs, I've told the doctor I'm addicted to them & that they ain't working for my injury with back, but yet I'm still on them.
I have been taking cc for 6 years for all the same reasons as anyone else. i so want to stop as i also take sleeping tabs and prosac so you can c why.I have worked out if i reduce by cutting i tab for 14 days then another tab for 14 days until i am down to none.Does this sound of to you
Hi I have been taking co-codamol for about 12 years. I take 6 a day. I have tried to stop but as a parent who is working in a manual full time job I need my sleep and when I have tried to stop it is a nightmare, my legs ache and I am tossing and turning all night so I just used to give in to get a good nights sleep. But as I am typing this I am laid up in bed on antibiotics with terrible pain in my kidneys, my son has been crying because he doesnt like seeing me like this.  That was when I made the decision to stop.  This is day 3 and to be honest the kidney pain is overriding everything else at the moment.  But I just want to tell people the doctor I saw said he would not prescribe these to anyone and I know why.  I want to be here for my son for as long as I can so I have flushed my tablets down the toilet and I advise everyone else to do so
i think you are doing really well i take co codamol hight dose for arthritus in back and knees i take the 4 times a day 8 tablets i also am addicted and as i work cleaning i cant do my job without them and i get very down after the high they give they dont give relief for long wish i had your strength. good luck.
Hi.i just read ur post and see that ur managing to come off the co codamol ok.ive been taking 8 a day for 4years now and keep thinking about stopping.do U have any tips and what withdrawls can I expect?
Please can anyone give me advice on how to withdraw from a four year addiction to amytriptaline and co codamol?if so,what withdrawals can I expect?
I know what u mean im a support worker working in supported living and I have to hide the fact im an addict on co codamol, there should be more advice or maybe there is and I cant find the info, I was addicted to Tramadol in a big way but got off them about 8months ago and if its anything like that I dont think I have the strength to do it again
I think for me the biggest problem is bowel controll as when yur body gets used to co codamol trying to come off I end up with the "tom ****" this is the main reason I cant stop.
It's called panadeine forte here in Australia and I'm addicted to these painkillers also. My body has now built up a tolerance to these prescription painkillers and don't work as good any more (don't make me feel drowsy) and that amazing feeling that I use to get from them has now disappeared. I go doctor shopping to get my next supply and feel depressed when I don't have any. I have social anxiety and I'm always popping painkillers and sedatives out of habit and love that sedated feeling which I get from these pills. It's an addiction which is hard to break out of and I hate that normal feeling when not sedated.
i have been prescribed co codomol30mg/500mg for a while my doctor has taken me off them and gave me paracetamol instead but i have such a terrible headache can someone give me some advice please
Have you tried just regular Tylenol or ibuprofen?  That usually helps my headaches, whereas the narcotics sometimes gave me a headache!  Or even just a cold cloth on your head, and try laying down in a dark room where it's quiet.

Why did your Dr. take you off your meds?
Oh I meant to mention, you may want to start a new thread by posting a new question (if you haven't already).  This one is pretty old and the older ones tend to get overlooked here.  :)
Hi all im lookn for a little advice....ive never bn addicted to anythn b4 but 5 mths ago i sufferd with sciatica very bad case. I was on tramadol and they worked with the pain however i felt myself startn to rely on them so decided to come of them and i did but sufferd withdrawals. I hav not touched them in nearly 2weeks now but my leg is still sore with the sciatica so hav took 2 cocodomal the last 2 days but im scared im going to get reliant on them and dont want to hav to go thru withdrawals again such a horrible few nites with tramadols. im now at a loss do i just suffer pain and get on with it or is there anythn i can take to help but not rely on. Id appreciate any help and good luck to all who is is fightn these horrible wuthdrawals from these tabs...thank
u x
Hi Maz this is a very old post,you should repost your question on a new thread and there will be people on here that can help and answer you.
I have just got down to two a day, feel pretty bloody lousy without them I can tell you, Worst part is I was taking upto 14 a day until 3 months ago.
yesterday I felt so low that I popped 16-18 at once, ended up in A&E, and on the mental health Crisis list.
Changed all my meds today to avoid the same thing happening again. I wish my issue were just two a day I really do, the mental strain alone has cost me my marriage(kinda hope to regain something from it), wife wants shot of me, and the way I have been I don't blame her at all.