Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
I'm so mad

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I'm so mad

As you may or may not know. My husband and I are both addicted to lorcets and have been for a couple of years. Well it has caused alot of ****this year alone so we had made up are minds to be done with them. I tried tapering but did not succeed, tried cold turkey but couldn't couldn't do that either. My husband had already said that he couldn't do it without help like sub. So I made us an appointment to get on the sub from a dr. that takes my insurance no biggy. Well that was Monday everything was going go we were happy that we were finally doing it. Well when he went to go fill the perscription I told him to ask how much it was because I had already called around before we went to the dr to get a round about cost. I even called my insurance but they were no help what so ever. Well the pharmacy CVS told him $60.00 I was like that is great we can do that. They had to order the medicine so I went to pick it up yesterday and they wanted $284.05 I almost pasted out. There is no way in hell I could afford that and that was only for one of the scripts. How do they expect people to be able to afford this ****. Why did they say $60.00 and then all of the sudden it was $284.05. So need less to say haven't started the sub yet. And we were suppose to go back to the dr Friday to see how we were doing on it. But guess thats not going to happen. Sorry just felt like venting.
My experience has been that CVS is normally more expensive for meds.  Try filling and Kroger and see what the outcome is.  Love and Strength to ya!!
Michael is right going to cvs or walgreens is NOT an option for me I use the little family drug store or walmart or in my area a store called Martins its a grocery. You would NOT believe the different prices, theres a HUGE difference. Call around DONT GIVE UP!

the problem could also be your insurance company in that this is a medication they do not cover.  Sometimes one's doctor can contact the insurance company and convince them otherwise.

Jim
This is why so many ppl resell their scripts just to make their money back from the outrageous prices of the meds!!! I hate that that happend to you hun when you had finally found a way out. I would suggest trying a local family drug store. Did you make sure that they ran the meds. through your insurance maybe that was the reason in the price difference? I dont know, but I hope that you find a solution fast! Keep us posted please.
I just noticed your profile and saw that you're in Spring.  If it's the same CVS that I'm thinking of, and probably is.  I've filled there many times and they are horrible about keeping up with the insurance and even the right medication.  I went to get pain meds and they handed me some type of diet pill that's supposed to help get rid of water weight.  I'm underweight as is and just looked back over the counter to the lady while showing her what she handed me.  She looked at the bottle, then back at me, and back at the bottle.  It was like a light came on and she says "Oops, you don't need those do you?"  Duh.

Try the walmart across the street.  They are more than Kroger, but have more sense than those at the CVS.
Your insurance company probably does not cover this med.  I know mine doesn't. You were lucky to get to see a doctor that actually took insurance. This was why I choose a doc that the meds were included in the fee. Sub's are 6-7 dollars a piece per pill at some pharmacies.
bear is right....but i have heard of some people fighting their insurance companies on this and won....dont give up....
yes you can fight the insurance companies on some meds with you doctor's support...i know we did this a few months ago on some med my daugther's psychiatrist wanted her on.

Get with your doctor and see what he/she might be able to do.

Jim
It sounds like to me that they didn't run it through your insurance right. You have to watch out for CVS and Walgreens.I've tried both and both are bad about that.And way overpriced.It depends on who you spoke to also. Maybe the person who told you 60.00 ran it through and the person who told you over 200. didn't even try to run it by the insurance. CVS once gave me penicillin which im deathly allergic to. I almost took it but looked at it and realized it didnt look like my usual pills. I called and told them about it brought it back to the pharmacy to see if the drug I usually take is different shaped now and they said "OOPS" to me too.I now use Walmart because they are cheaper. But try asking them to run it through your insurance a couple of times...good luck!
Walgreens has the best price i found 1 8mg is $6.29 a piece. I have drug coverage so they charge my insurance $755.00 for 120 of the 8mg every month. I seriously doubt the ins pay them that price in fact I know they dont. The ins. pays them $563.00 for 120 the $755.00 or 6.29 each is the cash price but they are worth every penny. CVS is know for their high cash prices, try walmart or Walgreen's or even target, Stay away from Kmart they are high on everything, Do you have Winn Dixie in Texas as they promise to beat any local price, but they dont usually have them. Don't forget sub is a class 3 you dont need to get them all at once. Buy what you can afford get a weeks worth at a time, Good Luck Tex---------------------NOAH