Importance of support networks
Hey everybody. Every so often I like to attempt to shed insight to certain aspects of recovery that have been influential and vital components of my success so far. Today I've been reflecting on the importance of having a support system. For myself this includes this website, my family, and the AA & NA fellowships. The most obviuos reason for having these networks is to maintain communication that share your struggle, or people that genuinely care about you so that you never have to carry the brunt of any obstacle in life. This allows you to confide in people and relieve yourself of any overwhelming burdens. This concept is also havily covered by accepting a higher power (however you choose to perceive him/her/it) into your life.

However, another integral part of this concept lies in holding yourself accountable to other people. I solidified this concept for myself by getting more involved in AA than just attending meetings. I joined a home group and got a sponsor. This way I have made a commitment to other people that I will regularly attend these meetings! This way, if my addictive mind tries to convince me that "I don't need a meeting tonight" I will not be able to back out because I made a promise to others in recovery. If I don't show up, I will be bombarded with phone calls from my sponsor and other members of my group to check up and make sure I'm ok. We're basically sheep, if you want to get picked off by the wolf (our disease of addiction) then hang out around the outsides. But if you surround yourself with others in recovery, your chances will increase tremendously. So reach out and get involved in your own recovery and other people in the program too!!
Great post and so true!!! I am finding myself trying to isolate and pull back from my fellowship lately. I know the importance of me attending the meetings but my brain is fighting me. I have people that I am accountable to and it has given me the push so far. Someone I met at a meeting told me that the days I dont feel like going to a meeting is the day I need it the most! I keep reminding myself of that.