Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Is Lomotil Addicitive?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Is Lomotil Addicitive?

I am now 54 days free of an Oxycontin addiction. A Dr wants to put me on Lomotil for a slight incontinence problem. I told him of my addiction problem. When I told him I heard that Lomotil was a derivative of Morphine, he said "Well, I know you won't take 100 a day."
I do not trust myself with anything that may be related to Morphine.
Am I safe taking this medication? The Dr really does not understand addiction.
I don't think it is a good idea! But I'll let the experts answer my question.

Thanks, ht
I know I got high from the stuff. Of course, I took about 6 of them. Lomotil combines the opioid diphenoxylate with atropine, assumably to discourage people just like ... me. Because of the atropine, I only tried Lomotil tomfoolery once. It's possible Imodium (immodium), an opioid with little or no psychoactivity, would be an acceptible alternative to Lomotil.

Thomas
When I was at my drug rehab I could take all the imddium I wanted. Are you incontinent? Seems to me that Lomotil is for diarrhea not incontinence.
I took lomotil about 20 yrs. ago when I was in the Cayman Islands.  After about a wk. of the runs I was so dehydrated I could have dried fruit in my mouth.  I bumbled to the pharmacy & asked for HELP!  The pharmacist sold me lomotil & told me (I swear) to take 2 every 4 hrs. or something, which I did.  By the end of the day I was virtually passed out on the floor, albeit "runless" and pulled the phone off the counter by the cord onto the floor above to call Mom, an RN.  

I could barely talk & I look back & whoa.....I was FLYING.  I didn't need a ticket home.  Had I been able to stand & flap my arms, I'd have traversed the 4000 miles home in no time.  Mom asked me how many I'd taken & I blooyied it out.  She almost freaked & wanted me to go to hospital.

I told her I would & passed out on the floor.  My supportive boyfriend who went scuba diving & urged me to hitchike to town even tho I couldn't stand, finally returned to the condo for dinner.  (Please understand, I was very young).  Mortified there was no dinner & that I was unconscious in front of the fridge, barring him from obtaining a beer, he wrested me from my sloth with the fridge door & then left to meet the boys.  

I eventually came to but was a disaster for days.  Back then I didn't have much exper. with drugs (oh, for the days!) but I will never remember how STONED I felt.  I too thought lomotil was just for diarrhea.  Is there nothing else you can take for incontinence?  I would avoid lomotil like the plague.  It is most certainly mood altering & alas, we must avoid that highly seductive state which is truly one of life's injustices.  From above, it's obvious it's some sort of morphine derivative which should give you further impetus to avoid it.  Bloody doctors!  If he knew about your other addiciton, what the heck is he thinking prescribing this?  

I'd do everything to avoid it.  You're smart to do your own homework which I believe we need to do.  As they say, knowledge is power.

Good luck, you'll do fine.

Dancing in the Dark