Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Is Sleeplessness Normal?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Is Sleeplessness Normal?

I'm on day 3 of coming off solpadol/hydroco & I haven't been able to sleep. Maybe a half hour here and there but nothing that comes close to even a quarter of a good night's rest. It's so frustrating! I know that the answer to my problems sleeping are downstairs, in the med cabinet but so far I've resisted. I tried going for a walk today - but I had to keep it short as my stomach has been acting up. I've even tried a bath - which was nice, briefly, until my back pain returned - back pain that I've spent the last 2 years taking pills to avoid. I just want to be able to sleep! I don't care at what time of day!!

Sorry for being so much of a moan. I guess I figure that if I'm typing, I'm not taking pills.
Hi there!! Yes,,insomnia is probably the worst side effect that there is. It can last a week. Dont get discouraged,,try taking a warm shower/bath,,cuddle up and watch a movie. Something to distract you a little bit,,reading worked for me when I could sit still. Congrats on Day 3. I am concerned though because you mentioned that the answer to all this is in the medicine cabinet downstairs. Just a thought,,you really need to flush the pills and cut off the supply. The cravings will start coming and you will give in if you have pills available. Dont put yourself in that position. You can do this! We will support you here (((hugs)))~Bkitty
Thanks. I would LOVE to flush them - but those are my mother's supply! I've somewhat depleted them but as she hardly ever takes painkillers, she'd notice if they ALL vanished. I can't tell her that I'm coming off them until I know I've managed it - my parents watched me as an alcoholic and it nearly broke them. So - it's cold turkey with temptation nearby. I'll give reading a try. I'd forgot the horrors of W/D insomnia! One thing's for sure - this is curing any lingering temptation to fall off the booze wagon! I just need to convince myself that the pills are just as bad in the long run.
stick it out the sleep will come. Im at day 13 from oxy and I still have not slept well but everyday Im feeling better than yesterday. Your not alone ill be up all night with you.
Today was day 6 for me. I think most of my posts 4 at least 5 days we're please let me sleep. no baths for me I tried hot showers. I push myself to do some exercise. yesterday I went to the store and got melatonin. of course in my twisted thinking if 1 milligram is good 10 milligrams gotta be great. I took 1 pill 10 mg. last night I slept most of the night waking on and off throughout the night. waking up around midnight I felt weird. tonight I'm gonna try half a pill 5 mg. I'm not sure if it what is the melatonin or just another w d symptoms
Thank you. I just hope the sleep comes soon! (Especially for you - that's days!!)
Believe me, I have the same twisted thinking. I'm trying to stay off sleeping aids - mainly because I'm also an easy fan of caffeine pills whenever I think I need them. Starting to doubt the wisdom of my going cold turkey... No, not tempted for a hydroco, but maybe I should give in & see my doc. Good luck tonight.
Will see It is a otc  supplement I don't think there's much addiction danger. but I suppose with me I could get addicted to banging my head on the floor. if it makes me feel weird again tonight. I won't use it anymore. you can do it I must say I really felt good today even with some withdrawals lingering. And faint demon whispers
I read a post today about setting yourself up for failure. Those demon whispers. I got a call from a contact today I didn't answer the phone. I swore I would tell him I was done but I choked. I have no intention to but the whispering I could call a new script tomorrow. No No I said I was gonna let my doctor know I was off them. strong for yourself and for me because I need to use your strength combined with mine and everyone else to get through. live strong!
I like that phrase - demon whispers. I remember them well - "Just one drink, then I'll stop", "I'll just smoke to the end of this pack, I won't buy any more". I'd be an idiot if I didn't think they were gonna come back for this. I know I can get through the next 5 mins. I'll take the next 5 mins after that. Together, with support, I know it's possible! And I REALLY appreciate the support! We will be strong!!
Thank you for your support. the first couple of nights I just watch the clock. did I sleep no. c clock again did I sleep no. by the 3rd day you pick up a couple of 20 minutes naps. I was never so happy for 20 minutes of sleep. I find it amazing the human body can withstand 4 night and day without. then again look what my body took for 6 years. I'm with you
Sorry about the skip in the record
I finally managed a couple of twenty minutes! But - the pain hit. Back pain, leg pain - and the bunny that started all this - shoulder pain. I kinda snapped & took 2 paracetomal. Is that cheating? I also took 2 amitriptyline - the dr said they were to take the edge off the pain... It's codeine I'm trying to quit but sometimes I feel like I can't get by without popping something...
Hi there
I am recovering from a total hip replacement and was given Solpadol to replace the morphine tablets I was taking. After 6 weeks my consultant has said I can now stop taking the Solpadol but I did not realise what this means. So for the last 3 days I have gone 'cold turkey' and it has been a nightmare. I too am not sleeping, have shivers, stomach cramps, cold sweats, a cough and vivid dreams in those short times when I go finally get off to sleep! I spoke to my doctor who said these are opiates and I should have reduced the amount one at a time throughout the week to wean myself off them! I have only been on them for 3 weeks for goodness sake. They are very strong so I understand how difficult it is to get off them. I am still feeling light headed and not sleeping properly but each day it gets easier. Good luck to you hang in there - It is very hard but it is worth it.