Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Is Tramadol a controlled schedule IV or not ?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Is Tramadol a controlled schedule class IV or not? Last year I was told they initiated it to be and was in effect, but everything I look up in drug books, online , etc. says it isn't. Help, Yes or No?
I am a nurse and our pharmacy recently contacted us to implement the changes of tramadol over to a controlled substance. Yes, went the switch was converted over, it went straight to the higher class of scheduled drugs.  It will be a bit for the drug books to catch up, but when they republish, tramdol will be listed as a controlled substance.
no its not not in the us
Lou, watch out, tramadol is very addictive. It's as bad as vicodin or oxy and it's tough breaking free of it.
tramadol is neither a controlled substance or a narcotic or an opiate.i do think that it should be a controlled substance because it does seem to be very addictive
i just did some more research on tramadol and it's very confusing.right now it is not listed in the controlled substances act,but they do say it is an opiate-like drug with less dependance than lortab.i can hardly believe this as i've read many posts on this med.as of now tramadol is not a controlled substance or a narcotic
steve its what is called a synthetic analgesic.It effects the transmitters opiates do .It very addicting .Some foreign countries have it listed but the US doesn't .
I'm in Day 3 of cold turkey withdrawls from tramdol.  If it's not addicting, then what in God's Green Earth is happening to me?  Getting off Vicodin was a piece of cake compared to this. Stay the hell away from this stuff.
this drug is very addicting,i know this only because i read peoples posts and comments.why it's not considered a controlled substance or a narcotic i dont know.tramadol is not listed in the controlled substances act,meaning it's not classified as a schedule 1,2,3,4,or5,YET.AVISG,if i'm not mistaking a synthetic analgesic can be anything from aspirin to oxy-contin.if i'm mistaken,please correct me if i'm wrong about that but i dont think so
Yup Steve you are right this explains it pretty well.Aloy of the problems with tramadol is a of the misinformation and lack of knowledge from the "professionals"s .I have heard many times from professionals tramadol is not addicting WORNG .You  cant have seizures CTing from tram WORNG .We have seen it happen to members .They need more knowege they need to do more studies. ... Here is a good articale on sytheinc drugs

Analgesics are substances that provides relief from pain. Mild analgesics, such as the many brand-named preparations of aspirin or paracetemol, are relatively harmless. Analgesic drugs of abuse are far stronger than this and are all-powerful painkillers. Some are refined from an extract obtained from opium poppies (Papaver somniferum) and are classed as “opiates” and some are produced by chemical synthesis.

Opiates include Opium itself, which is the resin obtained from the seed pod of the opium poppy, along with Morphine, Heroin and Codeine. These can all be produced from raw opium by fairly simple chemical processing.

Synthetic analgesics are manufactured as powders, tablets, or liquids. They include Methadone (usually as a syrup), Physeptone (a methadone tablet), Pethidine, Diconal and Palfium.

Which analgesics are abused?
Analgesics - particularly opiates - have a high potential for abuse. Heroin is the most widely abused opiate analgesic but morphine, paregoric (which contains opium) and cough syrups that contain codeine are also abused.

Many synthetic opiates are abused, usually by heroin users as an alternative to that drug. Methadone - prescribed as an alternative to heroin - has been much abused in recent years and is responsible for many deaths in the UK. Diconal, Physeptone, Pethidine and palfium tablets are usually crushed up and injected by drug abusers. These tablets contain solids such as chalk, which can block veins when injected and lead to gangrene or a stroke.

What do they look like?
Opium is a dark brown slightly sticky resin with the consistency of stiff putty and is usually smoked or eaten. Heroin is a white or brownish powder, which is usually dissolved in water and then injected, although it can be smoked. Most street preparations of heroin are diluted, or ‘cut’ with other substances such as lactose or quinine.

Other analgesics, including all synthetics, come in a variety of forms including capsules, tablets, syrups, solutions and suppositories.

What are the effects of analgesics?
Opiate and synthetic analgesics tend to relax the user. When they are injected, the user feels an immediate ‘rush’ - that is a strong wave of pleasurable relaxation and relief from anxiety. Unpleasant effects may include restlessness, nausea, and vomiting. The user may go ‘on the nod’ - going back and forth from feeling alert to drowsy. With large doses, the user cannot be awakened and the skin becomes cold, moist and bluish in colour. Breathing slows down and death may occur.

Where analgesics are taken as a syrup, tablets or capsules etc. the effects are similar to that after injection but are milder and without any immediate ‘rush’.

In Ohio (March 2014) that is untrue. It has to be entered into a state database when a MD prescribes it but it is NOT a controlled substance.
In Ohio that is untrue. It has to be entered into a state database when a MD prescribes it but it is NOT a controlled substance.  The states that I have seen have it listed as a schedule IV drug (such a Darvocet N-100), not a schedule II drug such as morphine, Dilaudid or Oxycontin.  Meaning it is NOT nearly as addictive as schedule IV drugs.  On the federal level as of March 2014 the US government still does NOT consider it a controlled substance
Learn to spell, it is so much more pleasing to the reader.  Tramadol was reclassified within the last 30 days to a controlled substance.  Your copied article says nothing with regard to Tramadol so you basically wasted everyone's time posting...