Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Is rehab the only way ??

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Is rehab the only way ??

Feeling bad wanted to stop the coke but I couldn't do it this weekend not sure where to turn or what to do next is rehab the only way?
Hi there~
Welcome to the forum - glad to see you're here.
I can't tell you how or what to do, but I can talk about my experience. My DOC is crack/cocaine... I was pretty much a cooked goose from the first experience - didn't know I was an addict until well into a week in inpatient rehab. Weird, eh? But it's true.  I just thought I had a problem... needed to get away...

I tried many times on my own to quit using. After the first month of using, I tried stopping... I couldn't do it. I could go a few weeks... my longest clean time on my own was just under six weeks. But each time, I would fall back.

Even tho I couldn't admit I was an addict, I did know I was sick and tired of being sick and tired... and I so wanted off the roller coaster!  For me, removing myself from my environment and going to inpatient rehab was vital and life saving... with cocaine or crack... there's is no tapering. You either do or don't do. right? You just DON"T use. that's the easiest part... it's the learning how to do life sober and clean again that's the hardest part.  For me, rehab gave my just enough time away - separate from "life" to learn new skills and how to truly recover ONE day at time.

After rehab, it was essential for me to take all I learned and continue in aftercare... meetings, meetings, meetings... get a sponsor and keep at it.  there IS a solution, but rarely can WE do it ALONE... Drugs are a symptom of a deeper rooted issue... WE have to change what's going on between our ears :)... these are skills we CAN learn from others who have already done it!!

I encourage you to, at the very least, find a NA meeting TODAY. :) start now my friend... you will be so glad you chose YOU and you are worth it!!
Keep comin' back! Praying for your strength and courage today.
Great post above!

If rehab is an option go for it! Cocaine is very hard to recover from on your own. Starting off in a facility would be a great idea.
Hi hun! If you're having a difficult time getting clean on your own, Rehab may be the best option for you. It is a safe environment and you do more than detox there, you learn coping skills, learn how to modify behaviors, usually develop new friendships. Rehab can really help you break free of your addiction and get you going so that you can stay free. It is normal to feel nervous and afraid about going to Rehab. Change is scary sometimes but it is so worth it especially if you're having difficulty getting clean on your own or if you are in an environment where you are constantly exposed to the addictive substance or perhaps an environment that may not be as supportive as you need to get clean.  Good for you for taking that first step!